Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

HiredGun posted:

Is it just me, or can't you 3D Touch the notifications screen to clear all your notifications at once like on iOS 10?

click the X

like HARD-CLICK IT

it definitely works on 11.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmk
Aug 3, 2009

iajanus posted:

Anyone on 11 who uses the built in podcast app having issues where the notification card won't go away?

Yes i'm having the same issue. 7plus on ios 11. I also can't get it to display any badge icon to show the number of unwatched episodes. DIdn't have any of these problems with the betas so i guess it's overdue for a wipe and restore.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

HiredGun posted:

Is it just me, or can't you 3D Touch the notifications screen to clear all your notifications at once like on iOS 10?

Worked for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

beejay posted:

Anybody got a Qi charger yet for their upcoming iPhone 8/+/X? I keep wanting to order one but some of them seem sketchy. Choetech? Name brands are more expensive (Samsung, etc) but wonder if there's any advantage or danger involved.

I ordered that Tylt Vu that someone was mocking earlier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG8O1CQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, that's the stuff. It's supposed to have great coverage and I like the way it looks.

EDIT: holy poo poo MeasureKit makes my SE hot. Seems to work remarkably well though. Worst thing is just lining up what you're trying to measure. I appear to be about .5 inch off my measurements, but that could be sloppy start and stop points. Much easier sticking a virtual couch in your living room.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 21, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When my wife's phone broke back in January and we went to the T-Mobile store, they somehow convinced me to drop Cricket and sign up for a second line on her plan, and now we pay a total of $100 a month for two lines with 50 GB of fast-as-gently caress data and tethering. Pretty great.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since the original iPhone came out I've been on T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. In my experience in the Northeast US, coverage (and lack thereof, especially in Vermont*) has been roughly equal for all three, with T-Mobile's being slightly worse until their Band 12 rollout. These days, it's really hard to legitimize the extra AT&T and Verizon charge for their service unless you spend a lot of time in rural areas, and even then there's a chance T-Mobile has better coverage than Verizon does anyway.

*US Cellular has good Vermont coverage but only Sprint roams on them. US Cellular recently deployed Band 12 LTE in their coverage area, and there were rumors of a roaming agreement with T-Mobile but nothing seems to have come from it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I've never noticed app suggestions at the bottom of multitasking before. I woke up this morning and it said:

"Good morning" with the Awful App attached.

Then I got to work and it said "arrived at work" with the Awful App attached.

I have a problem

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Over There posted:

I've never noticed app suggestions at the bottom of multitasking before. I woke up this morning and it said:

"Good morning" with the Awful App attached.

Then I got to work and it said "arrived at work" with the Awful App attached.

I have a problem

I had a moment of childlike wonder last week when I got off at a tube station and the recommended app was the London Underground map app.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there a known issue with Voicemail on AT&T with iOS11? Just updated my work phone to it and now it's gone. Can't update my voicemail password either (which Google says is a way to fix it) as it just sits on the 'Saving Password..." screen forever. I never knew my pin code so this is problematic without being able to access the few voicemails waiting for me.

edit: welp, I did a hail mary and guess on a passcode it could have been and dialed in. It worked, now after successfully doing that visual voicemail is back. Ignore me.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 21, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Since the original iPhone came out I've been on T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. In my experience in the Northeast US, coverage (and lack thereof, especially in Vermont*) has been roughly equal for all three, with T-Mobile's being slightly worse until their Band 12 rollout. These days, it's really hard to legitimize the extra AT&T and Verizon charge for their service unless you spend a lot of time in rural areas, and even then there's a chance T-Mobile has better coverage than Verizon does anyway.

*US Cellular has good Vermont coverage but only Sprint roams on them. US Cellular recently deployed Band 12 LTE in their coverage area, and there were rumors of a roaming agreement with T-Mobile but nothing seems to have come from it.

Vermont is where cell coverage goes to die. T-Mobile kind of works and AT&T is better, but not by much. US Cellular is what everyone used before the other providers moved into the market, so that's about as good as it gets and that ain't great.

T-Mobile likes to screw with me when I'm up there by saying I have 4G instead of LTE, which means HA you don't have squat!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

T-Mobile likes to screw with me when I'm up there by saying I have 4G instead of LTE, which means HA you don't have squat!

My personal experience is that T-Mobile does well along 91 and in the Upper Valley, but as soon as you get to the Sharon exit on 89 coverage is gone. My phone tries to roam on AT&T when I'm in South Royalton but I've never actually managed to make data work there. And then up 110 you can forget it until you get up to Barre/Montpelier.

But it was a similar story with AT&T and Verizon, so I don't fault T-Mobile for their lackluster performance.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
[quote="“HiredGun”" post="“476610497”"]
Is it just me, or can’t you 3D Touch the notifications screen to clear all your notifications at once like on iOS 10?
[/quote]

You can but for some dumb reason you have to scroll down to the “Earlier Today” section to do it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Has anyone else had this problem?

I 3D touch a message notification to quick reply to it, and as I'm typing it tries to open another notification and takes me away from typing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So. Wireless headsets. I currently have an older set of of LG Tone (these black and orange ones) that I use occasionally, when I remember to charge them. However, the sound quality isn't great, and they're kinda clunky.

I'm obviously coveting the AirPods for the cool factor and ability to recharge in the case, but do the Beats X headphones offer significantly better sound at the same price point? I should note that I'm actually fine with the way the Earpods sound (when I want good sound I pull out my Sony MDR V6's, but I'll have to use the dreaded adapter with my 8) but for $150 I wouldn't mind headphones that actually, y'know, sound good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like them and to me they sound better than EarPods (and thus AirPods) and have actual isolation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Isolating beatsx will have more bass. “Significantly better” is up to you. Stores have return periods, would be my advise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Three days after updating to ios 11 I got an alert for three new voice mails, and they were all over a month old and I had already listened to them.

:iiam:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

I like them and to me they sound better than EarPods (and thus AirPods) and have actual isolation.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Isolating beatsx will have more bass. “Significantly better” is up to you. Stores have return periods, would be my advise.

Thanks! Immediately after my post I found this pretty good comparison of the two. I'm one of those assholes who believes that music should be as uncolored as possible (the person who mastered the album knew how they wanted their album to sound, if they wanted more bass they would have added it; I like my MDR V6's because, well, those probably are the headphones they used while mastering the album) so the fact that the Beats have their trademark, un-overrideable bass boost pretty much disqualifies them for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Watching Baby Driver last night, it looks like the main character uses Earpods with all his various iPods because sound isolation is bad.

xzzy posted:

Three days after updating to ios 11 I got an alert for three new voice mails, and they were all over a month old and I had already listened to them.

:iiam:

It's a thing. Like one night I started getting spammed at midnight for alerts on a VM I hadn't yet bothered to listen to. Over and over and over again.

So it's been a problem that's gotten marginally better with each her beta iteration, but apparently is still an issue.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

Watching Baby Driver last night, it looks like the main character uses Earpods with all his various iPods because sound isolation is bad.

That's intentional, Baby uses music to pretend to distance himself from his life and those around him, even though it doesn't actually do anything. This parallels his life; he thinks that he's not actually the sort of person who would rob, steal, and kill, when in reality that's exactly who he is. Music is his escape, but reality leaks through at all times.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why won't the Gmail app register that I have in fact read the mails that it tells me are unread?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How easy is a battery replacement on a 5s? My GF's one has gone to poo poo. I haven't ever done work on something with TouchID, would that be an issue?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh good, Memories (in Photos) silently started working again overnight. Pretty sure I still had to manually define the faces for People to populate, but I never used that, so whatever. As for the non-human faces... Memories produced for me a very sweet video titled "Four-Legged Friends" :shobon: I never used Memories hardly at all, either, but I think I will now.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

enojy posted:

Oh good, Memories (in Photos) silently started working again overnight. Pretty sure I still had to manually define the faces for People to populate, but I never used that, so whatever. As for the non-human faces... Memories produced for me a very sweet video titled "Four-Legged Friends" :shobon: I never used Memories hardly at all, either, but I think I will now.

Oh my god memories can get hilarious. I'll play the best of 2 weeks one and then in the middle of melodramatic music, this pops up:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How easy is a battery replacement on a 5s? My GF's one has gone to poo poo. I haven't ever done work on something with TouchID, would that be an issue?

TouchID doesn't matter since you're not replacing the home button

5S is a bitch because just to lift the screen there's a billion things to disconnect, compared to 6S you can basically just lift the display out and away.

If you've never done this kind of work before you probably should just let someone else do it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks. Might get my brother to do it, he's some sort of repair savant

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Maybe he could fix...your posting

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So. Wireless headsets. I currently have an older set of of LG Tone (these black and orange ones) that I use occasionally, when I remember to charge them. However, the sound quality isn't great, and they're kinda clunky.

I'm obviously coveting the AirPods for the cool factor and ability to recharge in the case, but do the Beats X headphones offer significantly better sound at the same price point? I should note that I'm actually fine with the way the Earpods sound (when I want good sound I pull out my Sony MDR V6's, but I'll have to use the dreaded adapter with my 8) but for $150 I wouldn't mind headphones that actually, y'know, sound good.

Just a heads up I bought a refurb pair of beats X from bestbuy for $65 about 4 months ago and they are an amazing buy at that price.

Reason I’m saying this is because I really don’t think they are all that worth their full retail asking price. They are good but not really $120 whatever good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah I forgot to add! My 8+ shipped :dance:

Also what the gently caress news notifications play a sound now? Why?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quantum of Phallus posted:

As has been said earlier, replacing the battery has nothing to do with disconnecting anything that would matter to TouchID.

I replaced it myself on mine, but I had to buy one of those suction cup tools to pry the case open, after that it's just a matter of disconnecting really teeny tiny cables and some screws in a particular order. Also, the battery is loving glued in so you have to use a hair dryer/heat gun in order to dislodge the battery.

If all that sounds like too much for you just go to any major mall and look for one of those mini-stalls that offers phone repair services.

Or go to the Fruit Stand and git'er done.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Wifi Calling works (the network name changes to VZWifi or whatever) when I am on other networks but not when I'm at home.

At home I have 50mpbs internet with the latest apple basestation airport whatever.

What else could I check to get wifi calling to work at home?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

Reason I’m saying this is because I really don’t think they are all that worth their full retail asking price. They are good but not really $120 whatever good.
That Best Buy refurb sale was a really good deal, yeah.

Oddly enough the refurbished from B.B. are currently $150 while new ones are on sale for $110.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ EFB

$110 might be enough of a difference to tip the scales back in the Beats X's favor. I have a habit of buying and returning items to Best Buy, though, one of these days they're gonna blacklist me. I tend to be fickle about electronics purchases.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 21, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Thanks! Immediately after my post I found this pretty good comparison of the two. I'm one of those assholes who believes that music should be as uncolored as possible (the person who mastered the album knew how they wanted their album to sound, if they wanted more bass they would have added it; I like my MDR V6's because, well, those probably are the headphones they used while mastering the album) so the fact that the Beats have their trademark, un-overrideable bass boost pretty much disqualifies them for me.
Honestly, I don't find them particularly bass-heavy. Certainly less than on-ear or over-ear Beats, and not in any way that I'd say they're significantly moreso than my V6's.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Just updated my 6s to iOS 11. Most of my photos are gone. I went from having 8800 pictures on my phone to about 1100. If I log into iCloud, they are all there. Can I restore from iCloud to my phone?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Just updated my 6s to iOS 11. Most of my photos are gone. I went from having 8800 pictures on my phone to about 1100. If I log into iCloud, they are all there. Can I restore from iCloud to my phone?

Wh....Why would you want to?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to add! My 8+ shipped :dance:

same

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

[quote="“IuniusBrutus”" post="“476618132”"]
Wh....Why would you want to?
[/quote]

So I can look at them. Who cares why?

Is it possible or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

They should sync up over time. Leave your phone on wifi and plugged in and they trickle in.

Check the toggle for full resolution, somewhere in settings, in case you want the originals on your phone or not.