Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

actionjackson posted:

I took another look, I didn't realize that this piece lifted the tonearm up and down. I'm not able to always replicate it, so I'm not sure what causes the noise to happen, and yeah it doesn't affect the turntable at all, it's just a bit of an annoyance.

If you're using the lever to raise and lower the tonearm while its resting on that piece, does the lever have a soft or hard feedback when you raise and lower it? I dont have the same table, but its within the same family so it operates the same. There is a spring in there that may have gotten misaligned over time. could take a few times of gently raising and lowering the lever until the problem resolves itself unless the spring is totally out of wack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dorium posted:

If you're using the lever to raise and lower the tonearm while its resting on that piece, does the lever have a soft or hard feedback when you raise and lower it? I dont have the same table, but its within the same family so it operates the same. There is a spring in there that may have gotten misaligned over time. could take a few times of gently raising and lowering the lever until the problem resolves itself unless the spring is totally out of wack.

it raises and lowers very easily when I do so manually

I realized what is happening, that rubbing sound is only happening when the tonearm is in the section all the way at the "end" (circled)

so you will only notice it if you have a record that has a very small run-off (I think that's the name) area, as that's the only time the tonearm will reach that section. friction between the tonearm and the rest of that piece does not result in any noise.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

it raises and lowers very easily when I do so manually

I realized what is happening, that rubbing sound is only happening when the tonearm is in the section all the way at the "end" (circled)

so you will only notice it if you have a record that has a very small run-off (I think that's the name) area, as that's the only time the tonearm will reach that section. friction between the tonearm and the rest of that piece does not result in any noise.

You’ve got a piece of consumer electronics that’s getting on 35-40 years old, I would say. There’s a lot more that could go wrong with it than that. I wouldn’t worry about it. If that’s the biggest issue with the auto return you’re doing good.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BigFactory posted:

You’ve got a piece of consumer electronics that’s getting on 35-40 years old, I would say. There’s a lot more that could go wrong with it than that. I wouldn’t worry about it. If that’s the biggest issue with the auto return you’re doing good.

yep, just curious if there was anything easy I could do. This turntable was made in 1981.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

yep, just curious if there was anything easy I could do. This turntable was made in 1981.

Nailed it

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Won't hurt to try putting some grease on it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

I'd say spray a tiny amount of white lithium onto a clean surface of any sort, get a Q tip and get just a tiny tiny amount on it from that, and apply it with that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Kinda surprised with a name like that.

lol, his real name is John Bloom.

petit choux posted:

Jesus, WTF, me too then.

I found this out two or three days after I went to on one his live shows which are really fun.

wa27 posted:

It's best to use a water based lube.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I guess it got repressed cause I finally got a copy of The Execution of All Things by Rilo Kiley for sub 30 bucks. I love this album so much, I’m stoked.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I went back to a record store today after waffling on a $60 copy of Death From Above 1979 - You’re a Woman I’m a Machine. The record store guy understood totally, taking it home now.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

lol, his real name is John Bloom.

I found this out two or three days after I went to on one his live shows which are really fun.

It's best to use a water based lube.

Hardee fuking har

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dorium posted:

I went back to a record store today after waffling on a $60 copy of Death From Above 1979 - You’re a Woman I’m a Machine. The record store guy understood totally, taking it home now.

Oooooh that's on my list along with Outrage! Is Now.

I can't be the only person who discovered them watching LetterKenny right.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here it is, I just took the shrinkwrap off it.

ED: drat, I just noticed her Venusian delta is in the very center of that composition LOL

ED: And Sammy is looking up at it wistfully. :same: Sammy, :same:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 23, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Anybody here read Cyrillic?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

Anybody here read Cyrillic?

Nope but I'm betting its Russian folk tunes because it is always folk tunes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL yes

In addition, I bought these hard copies:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Nope but I'm betting its Russian folk tunes because it is always folk tunes.

Love me some loving sword dancing

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And don't give me that bitch you live like this poo poo

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I've got a few records from that label Melodiya and they are awesome 70s Russian jazz funk.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Fors Yard posted:

I've got a few records from that label Melodiya and they are awesome 70s Russian jazz funk.

That is encouraging but how many Russian labels do you think there were in the 70s we'll find out soon

Also got the Caspar Brotzman yesterday.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Exiles on Main Street may be the best Stones album

This is a Rolling Stones evening going forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRc0yaMW7Mw

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh Jesus I forgot how good this was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5HP2Xcy_eQ

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Unrelated, but I mentioned this the other day:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rolo posted:

Oooooh that's on my list along with Outrage! Is Now.

I can't be the only person who discovered them watching LetterKenny right.

Nah, but I respect the Letterkenny name drop. I saw them first on Late Night With Conan O’Brien. Always regretted not buying their record when it was easily available.

https://youtu.be/IiqPcVyRhRQ

Today was the day fhough

After rewatching that performance I’m like 98.9% sure this was the last time I found out about a band through tv.

dorium fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 23, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The best Rolling Stones album by far is Their Satanic Majesties Request and the band took a sharp decline as soon as Brian Jones left. I always found Exile on Main Street to be kind of boring an extremely over appreciated. The only Stones albums I still listen to are Between the Buttons and Satanic Majesties. But I know this take has always gone against the grain.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

The best Rolling Stones album by far is Their Satanic Majesties Request and the band took a sharp decline as soon as Brian Jones left. I always found Exile on Main Street to be kind of boring an extremely over appreciated. The only Stones albums I still listen to are Between the Buttons and Satanic Majesties. But I know this take has always gone against the grain.

The only Rolling Stones record I ever liked was Some Girls and that’s because the first Stones single I genuinely enjoyed at a club was the Miss You disco edit.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

No, I think I am going to have to change my tune after listening to a half dozen tunes. You are right, Satanic Majesties Request is the best.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I just have very fond memories of spending a lot of time in my late teens with a coke dealer that really loved that album. And it's got a few zingers. You got to scrape the poo poo right off your shoes is good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's too bad that they were such cowards and abandoned that musical direction when people didn't like that album. I liked them more when I was in my classic rock phase but they're too much of a white people blues band and I'm not really into that anymore.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gimme a little drank from your lovin cup is good too

you have to be in an alcoholic haze for these I think, which is actually appropriate right now

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Gimme a little drank from your lovin cup is good too

you have to be in an alcoholic haze for these I think, which is actually appropriate right now

I'm a biased party because I like garage/garage psych and early synth stuff with mellotrons and just kooky wacky stuff and that's all over Satanic Majesties. Stuff like Citadel is one of the stylistic inspirations on my own guitar playing. Plus it's just a cool song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1UHOC16VCk

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I'm a biased party because I like garage/garage psych and early synth stuff with mellotrons and just kooky wacky stuff and that's all over Satanic Majesties. Stuff like Citadel is one of the stylistic inspirations on my own guitar playing. Plus it's just a cool song.

Oh, totally. It is a loving great album for its time. Exiles is just a nostalgia trip for me since I found this today. In the 80s I lived in the dingiest Chicago suburb, was painting houses with Son Seals' kids in my lovely subdivision, drinking tequila all night and playing lovely guitar by the lovely lake. Exiles was a great soundtrack to that miserable pathetic loving life. Hell, I still love it.

Yeah, this is great. Nice job on the mixing board, too. I might have to take up drinking on a more regular basis.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 23, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I liked them more when I was in my classic rock phase but they're too much of a white people blues band and I'm not really into that anymore.

Yeah, I can really appreciate that, but in the 1980s the people listening to the rolling stones and partying were not actually the white people that were the problem.

CPL593H posted:

Stuff like Citadel is one of the stylistic inspirations on my own guitar playing. Plus it's just a cool song.

Then you are the kind of guitarist I dig. You know who I really love as a guitarist? Daevid Allen. When he said, "You just have to be what you are, my friend, today," he looked me right in the eye. But he is the reason I bought a Steinberger.

ED: Hohner knockoff, really, but WTF

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Okay, I have made it to Wild Horses and Bitch, and now I consider your claim without merit.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Okay, I have made it to Wild Horses and Bitch, and now I consider your claim without merit.

See, I think Sticky Fingers has just as many great songs as Exile, it just doesn’t have ALL those other songs on it. I never need to hear Brown Sugar again on purpose as long as I live, but at least it’s track 1 so it’s easy to skip. Wild Horses is another skip if I’m not in the mood.

I love Satanic Majesties too, but Between the Buttons and even most of Aftermath completely miss the mark for me. The Monkees were making stronger music at that point.

I think part of the problem is my old CD of between the buttons has that terrible stereo mix with drums on one channel and guitar on the other and vocals sound lovely and it’s just horrible. Unlistenable in a car. Somehow albums like Help! did that better even though it was still horrible. Maybe I need to find a mono copy and try again. Stupid Girl is still a bad song.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 23, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

See, I think Sticky Fingers has just as many great songs as Exile, it just doesn’t have ALL those other songs on it. I never need to hear Brown Sugar again on purpose as long as I live, but at least it’s track 1 so it’s easy to skip. Wild Horses is another skip if I’m not in the mood.

I love Satanic Majesties too, but Between the Buttons and even most of Aftermath completely miss the mark for me. The Monkees were making stronger music at that point.

I think part of the problem is my old CD of between the buttons has that terrible stereo mix with drums on one channel and guitar on the other and vocals sound lovely and it’s just horrible. Unlistenable in a car. Somehow albums like Help! did that better even though it was still horrible. Maybe I need to find a mono copy and try again. Stupid Girl is still a bad song.

I've only ever heard Between the Buttons in mono.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I've only ever heard Between the Buttons in mono.

Picture the bad stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul except somehow worse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Picture the bad stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul except somehow worse.

Jesus wept.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Goddamn, I've been having a horrible time lately with the quality of records I'm receiving. Horrible warps, surface noise, just overall lovely pressings. It's like COVID completely wrecked any sense of quality control from the pressing plants.

To top it off I've had trouble getting my new cartridge balanced right and then the other day I accidentally dropped my brand new copy of Saba's Care for Me as I was lifting it from the turntable and it got caught under the needle, creating a huge scratch.

I... I think I loving hate collecting vinyl you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m nervous cause something I really want just popped up in a few places so I bought 2. One from a local seller, one from Amazon.

Whichever I don’t want is going back to Bezos.