Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Carrie Fisher was thanked at the very end of the credits, I wonder what she actually did if Leia was CGI. I thought maybe the voice for that part but she probably would have been credited normally for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Baronash posted:

Even without Rogue One, the whole point of the exchange between Vader and Leia is that she is lying and Vader is calling her on her bullshit. She does actually have the plans, Vader knows that, and she knows that Vader knows. She's playing the fool because there is no reason to do anything else.

That's the whole point we're making: The whole exchange between Leia and Vader is at the very best essentially the same, so that's not a good argument for why the change is good. The argument for it being bad is that now the reason Vader knows is because he witnessed blatant evidence with his own eyes, rather than because he's shrewd and can see through deception. The implication in the original is very clearly that Vader followed some sort of circumstantial evidentiary trail to the Tantive IV, the Captain and the Princess know the evidence is circumstantial and so try to put forth a plausible cover story, but Darth Vader ain't buyin' it because he's Darth loving Vader and he knows these things. He knows these things.

Also LOL Vader literally accuses them of intercepting transmissions:

quote:

VADER:
Where are those transmissions you
intercepted?

quote:

VADER:
Several transmissions were beamed to this
ship by Rebel spies.

What's the explanation for this, Vader is just trying to play some sort of weird mind games with them? This all seems like really weird phrasing for a guy who just witnessed a physical copy of the plans being passed off to them by their allies.

Milky Moor posted:

Watching prequel defenders scream "THIS IS NOT HOW THE STAR WARS IS SUPPOSED TO BE" in the aftermath of Rogue One, after smugly telling the people who said that about the prequels that they just didn't like Star Wars... Mmm! Perfecto! :discourse:

I'm not saying "This is not how Star Wars is supposed to be", I'm simply making a reasoned criticism about a movie. Also I've never said that people who don't like the prequels don't like Star Wars, except once facetiously, I think, at which time I was making it clear I was being facetious and also saying that I disliked that meme.

Weird to see you positioning yourself as the defender of discourse with a histrionic, content-less post like this, though.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 19, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do people like Star Wars or do they just like getting angry about things in Star Wars?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cnut the Great posted:

What's the explanation for this, Vader is just trying to play some sort of weird mind games with them? This seems like really weird phrasing for a guy who just witnessed a physical copy of the plans being passed off to them by their allies.
They intercepted the transmission sent from the planet by Jyn. Why are people hung up on this?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

What's the explanation for this, Vader is just trying to play some sort of weird mind games with them? This all seems like really weird phrasing for a guy who just witnessed a physical copy of the plans being passed off to them by their allies.

Now you're grasping at straws. Intercepting can refer to physical items.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Does Vader know it was the plans for the death star? Or just transmissions from the planet below?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Do people like Star Wars or do they just like getting angry about things in Star Wars?

Truth be told, full disclosure here, I'm more a fan of the work of George Lucas than I am of lightsabers and Jedi and X-wings in a vacuum, so if anything perhaps I, now, could be plausibly accused of not liking Star Wars. But no, I still think that would be dumb, because as long as you consider yourself a fan of at least one of the movies I think you probably like Star Wars.

Wandle Cax posted:

quote:

VADER: Several
transmissions were beamed to this
ship by Rebel spies.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wandle Cax posted:

Nah he says "beamed" so maybe it would be funny if the one guy like, threw them in really hard but that seems like a really trivial change

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'd like to think that there was a meeting where the guy writing the script sat down with the director and the producer and worked out exactly the right number of discrepancies between the end of Rogue One and the beginning of A New Hope to generate maximum internet furor.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm not saying "This is not how Star Wars is supposed to be", I'm simply making a reasoned criticism about a movie. Also I've never said that people who don't like the prequels don't like Star Wars, except once facetiously, I think, at which time I was making it clear I was being facetious and also saying that I disliked that meme.

Weird to see you positioning yourself as the defender of discourse with a histrionic, content-less post like this, though.

It's kind of hosed up that you can't appreciate the movie on its own merits and have to try to invent fanfiction in your head. I guess you just don't like Star Wars. Face it, you just don't like this movie because you didn't see it as a child, friend. :shrug:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Vadar, understanding the commander's hidden fear of strangulation by invisible means after intense readings of his body language, dispatches the force doubter in an shrewd but potent fashion.

Rogue One comes comes

"Vadar just did the thing because he did it in the past. 0/10 film"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BRB, going through the thread to find posts with that sentiment but I'm going to replace 'the prequels' with 'Rogue One'.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The prequels are worse because they're also impossibly ugly to look at.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

quote:

VADER: Several
transmissions were beamed to this
ship by Rebel spies.
You're right. What actually happened is that rebel agents pretending to be Imperials (gee, if only there was a one-word term for that) landed on the planet that held the plans and then broadcast them ("beamed," if you will) to the rebel ships in orbit.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DeimosRising posted:

Nah he says "beamed" so maybe it would be funny if the one guy like, threw them in really hard but that seems like a really trivial change

Well, it's trivial except it ties into the point that in the original, Vader clearly did not directly or physically witness anything happening. He was following a trail of evidence that led him to the Tantive IV and wielding his deductive ability as a cudgel against the desperately prevaricating Rebels.

Also I think making a serious attempt to maintain continuity with the original is an important part of a prequel. Changing things for the sake of the story is fine, but doing it for no good reason is bad, and if you do change it you should still figure out a way it can fit and not violate the spirit of the original, like George Lucas did regarding Yoda being Obi-Wan's master.

Baronash posted:

You're right. What actually happened is that rebel agents pretending to be Imperials (gee, if only there was a one-word term for that) landed on the planet that held the plans and then broadcast them ("beamed," if you will) to the rebel ships in orbit.

Vader says the plans were beamed "to this ship [the Tantive IV] by Rebel spies." They were not. They were beamed to another ship and then carried to the Tantive IV by Rebel soldiers (not spies) as Darth Vader watched with his own two eyes.

In a vacuum, just a trivial (if pretty drat obvious) continuity error, but it goes to the very heart of what undermines that part of A New Hope and shows definitively that it was because the writers simply didn't really think about it.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 19, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, it's trivial except it ties into the point that in the original, Vader clearly did not directly or physically witness anything happening. He was following a trail of evidence that led him to the Tantive IV and wielding his deductive ability as a cudgel against the desperately prevaricating Rebels.

Also I think making a serious attempt to maintain continuity with the original is an important part of a prequel. Changing things for the sake of the story is fine, but doing it for no good reason is bad, and if you do change it you should still figure out a way it can fit and not violate the spirit of the original, like George Lucas did regarding Yoda being Obi-Wan's master.

It's okay if you don't like [Rogue One], my friend. They're just movies, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Take a deep breath.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

It's okay if you don't like [Rogue One], my friend. They're just movies, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Take a deep breath.

I'm being really serious, here. What do you think you're actually accomplishing with this post? Do you really think you've successfully hoisted me by own petard? At what point have I done anything to personally offend or impugn you?

I'm talking about a Star Wars movie (one I've, in the interest of fairness, praised aspects of just pages before) because I enjoy doing so. I wish you and others could say the same.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Star Wars: At what point have I done anything to personally offend or impugn you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm being really serious, here. What do you think you're actually accomplishing with this post? Do you really think you've successfully hoisted me by own petard? At what point have I done anything to personally offend or impugn you?

I'm talking about a Star Wars movie (one I've, in the interest of fairness, praised aspects of just pages before) because I enjoy doing so. I wish you and others could say the same.

He's been doing this to everyone even remotely critical about RO in several threads, I don't think it is you in particular.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
....Okay, well, good night.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Continuity is important. It's just not the most important thing.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

....Okay, well, good night.

Cnut says a prayer to George Lucas before going to sleep every night.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Super Fan posted:

"I'm One With The Force. The Force Is With Me."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Changing things for the sake of the story is fine, but doing it for no good reason is bad
I'd say that adding an opportunity for Vader to go full-tilt Jason Voorhees on a bunch of rebels qualifies as more than "no good reason."

Cnut the Great posted:

and if you do change it you should still figure out a way it can fit and not violate the spirit of the original

Cnut the Great posted:

Vader says the plans were beamed "to this ship [the Tantive IV] by Rebel spies." They were not. They were beamed to another ship and then carried to the Tantive IV by Rebel soldiers (not spies) as Darth Vader watched with his own two eyes.
I legitimately cannot understand the mental gymnastics you are performing in order to say that this "violates the spirit" of the original.

You're right, the dialogue would have been much better if Vader had said "I want to know what happened to the plans they sent youthe other ship that they then put on a memory card and passed through the airlock onto this ship." Without that line in there, I don't know how they expect the audience to make the connection.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Super Fan posted:

this post also brings no value to the discussion whatsoever

on a brighter note, i actually really like the CGI used on tarkin and leia, because it shows that Edwards and the other filmmakers weren't afraid to try something cutting-edge that wasn't perfect, much like Lucas' use of less advanced CGI in the prequels

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

When I say that Rogue One violates the spirit of the originals, it is good.

When you say that the prequels violate the spirit of the originals, it is bad.

I love you, Star Wars thread, and I hope you never change.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I liked Vader's metal af castle

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Super Fan posted:

I keep a small statue of him on a shelf above my head board, like my very own Fat Buddha watching over me. Every night before bed, I rub the wattle on my George Lucas idol for good luck in the world of dreams.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I like to imagine he modeled it after the cover to his favorite death metal album.

"Leave me, I must regenerate."
*muffled thrash music from inside regeneration tube*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I loving love they way the Empire will just go all-out on Evil Looking poo poo for no reason but why the gently caress not.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
So if Vader said "brought to this ship" instead of "beamed to this ship" we wouldn't be having this stupid discussion, but because he did, it means Rogue One has some major flaw and the writers "didn't really think about it"?

Also, saying the writers didn't think the continuity through is like saying George Lucas didn't think about the composition of his shots.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Remember when in episode 3 Dooku gives the completed death star plans to some aliens.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

yes, when i think "darth vader" i think "good detective"

I want a Detective Pikachu/Detective Vader double feature

trash person fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 19, 2016

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

yes, when i think "darth vader" i think "good detective"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Clearly they should have had a line at the end something like "we are now beaming the transmission directly to the Tantive IV and Vader has detected this (the ship at the start of the first movie) this physical copy is just a backup or security key needed to access the data" just so viewers like Cnut the strange would not get confused

If only the scriptwriters considered the details of how their prequel connects to the first film

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Yeah when someone asks what does Darth Vader wield, I think "his deductive ability"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Darth Vader I love and admire is the one we see last in New Hope, helplessly spinning into outer space.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, you're all agreeing that they changed something from New Hope a little. You're just arguing about whether or not you think that matters, and I'm not entirely sure why you'd even do that. If you think it matters to you, it does. If it doesn't, fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A New Hope was already changed. 3 times. So who cares if a new, cool, and good movie does it again.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
"Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could deduce things to reach...conclusions. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even work things...out."

RUINED by ROUGE ONE and lukkkasarts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Wandle Cax posted:

Clearly they should have had a line at the end something like "we are now beaming the transmission directly to the Tantive IV and Vader has detected this (the ship at the start of the first movie) this physical copy is just a backup or security key needed to access the data" just so viewers like Cnut the strange would not get confused

If only the scriptwriters considered the details of how their prequel connects to the first film

I would have a preferred a line like, "So I hand this data disc to you, as a symbol of *looks at the camera* a new hope."

• Locked thread