Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Signalis is looking like the lucky winner of this year's Scary Month

this is a tremendously unnerving game and manages it without a single jumpscare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

treat posted:

there's some incredibly horrific IF out there that pulls it off without visuals or sound whatsoever. I would imagine someone who isn't experienced with horror IF would have a blast with it so long as they don't mind reading.

Could you drop some recs for horror IF? I am interested and I think Anchorhead and some real real old stuff are the only horror IF I've played

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Started Little Hope as it's included with PS++ and lol yeah this was absolutely a Silent Hill game at some point. They even kept the bizarrely stilted and awkward dialogue!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Could you drop some recs for horror IF? I am interested and I think Anchorhead and some real real old stuff are the only horror IF I've played

One Eye Open - Creepy gorefest
Dr. Horror's House of Terror - Goofy gorefest
Divis Mortis - Zombies!
Snatches - Plays out like a slasher film
Fish Bowl - Short, surreal nightmare
The King of Shreds and Patches - Lovecraftian horror
Coloratura - Unconventional "reverse horror"; imagine if the game "Carrion" were based on a book. this is that book

Some classic Twine stuff
Terror Aboard the Speedwell - Alien (1979) that can go down any number of ways. Includes separate mini-Twines that flesh out the backgrounds of each character, I strongly recommend checking them out
My Father's Long, Long Legs and The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - Slumber party ghost stories

Some older, bonified classics you might have played
Theatre
Shrapnel
Shade

There's also an IF thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966237

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shadow of Rose starts off kind of dull. I'm hoping it picks up soon.

Also who could this mystery ghost writer be?! It's such a mystery. Michael, huh?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

veni veni veni posted:

Shadow of Rose starts off kind of dull. I'm hoping it picks up soon.

Also who could this mystery ghost writer be?! It's such a mystery. Michael, huh?

Ghost Barry?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

For anyone finishing Signalis get the gently caress in the dedicated thread we have for it so maybe you can tell me what the gently caress actually happened.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hey, panstasz is alive and he's dropped a new World of Horror patch! Good times. https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1586450808257724416

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Pope Guilty posted:

Hey, panstasz is alive and he's dropped a new World of Horror patch! Good times. https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1586450808257724416

I still don't know if I like that game or not and I've put around 10 hours into it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Montague Tigg posted:

I still don't know if I like that game or not and I've put around 10 hours into it

It is a combination of being really cool on the first run and then kind of tedious in the subsequent runs where it goes "yes yes, horrifying monsters from beyond the mist chopping my head off, let's run this again"

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's "horror" in a kind of abstract indirect sense but Eat Me is dark and weird and cool.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like World Of Horror would have been better if it wasn't so rigid. I know it's meant to be like a board game in that sense where everything is pretty set in stone just which events you get are random but some more variance would be nice. Like once you do the optional objective for some of the cases, and see that for some they're just straight up negatives (I think the mermaid one is just -2 sanity and doesn't have any bearing on the endings?) then you have zero reason to EVER try for it ever again which is just..goofy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's rather Arkham Horror, with all the downsides that entails.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Shadows of Rose really mixes in the good with the frustrating. There's some really creepy bits to be had, once it's done boring you with the the goopy castle. But I wish it would stop asking me to turn the difficulty down because none of my deaths have been caused by the combat. There's a lot of scenarios where it wants you to do something and do it before you get killed, and I have no idea what it wants out of me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was overall pretty decent, but I was disappointed that it’s all environments recycled from the main game. I’d give it a 7/10. Probably only worth $20 of you plan to get mileage out of Mercs and third person mode.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Haven't heard of this but it looks like a white people misunderstanding shamanism leading to eldritch horrors type of game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWszzzduOjc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Flubby posted:

There's some really creepy bits to be had, once it's done boring you with the the goopy castle

But that was the fun part of it :saddowns:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like World Of Horror would have been better if it wasn't so rigid. I know it's meant to be like a board game in that sense where everything is pretty set in stone just which events you get are random but some more variance would be nice. Like once you do the optional objective for some of the cases, and see that for some they're just straight up negatives (I think the mermaid one is just -2 sanity and doesn't have any bearing on the endings?) then you have zero reason to EVER try for it ever again which is just..goofy.

yeah, for how much randomness is in play WoH never quite takes the dive into full blown rogue-lite territory and I feel like it should

I don't entirely know what that would look like, but the repetition is a killer

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Haven't heard of this but it looks like a white people misunderstanding shamanism leading to eldritch horrors type of game

Okay, this looks genuinely intriguing. The animations on the main character really sell it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wow this trailer makes the game looks significantly different from the last. I assume the previous one was just a story trailer, but something about the way it was edited made it look like a narrative adventure a la Until Dawn, except maybe a few flashes of combat at the very end?

Looks neat though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can't believe I've heard nothing about this game, it looks pretty cool. Control meets Hellblade meets Until Dawn. And it's coming out so soon!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

This looks very neat and I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about it when it's apparently dropping in four days

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been keeping an eye on it for a while but lol I also didn't realise it had gameplay outside of Supermassive style QTE's and dialogue choices until I watched that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It all seems like my kinda thing so as long as it has an above-70 Metacritic I'll probably take a chance on it next week. I really gotta take some time off from work to catch up on all these new releases.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A gameplay trailer for the Outlast Trials has been released, and it's, well, predictable.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I finished Plague Tale:Requiem, and I feel like this was a game that really needed some fine tuning with the human enemy encounters. Too much required to you switch up weapons/items on the fly, and you weren't mobile enough to evade enemies, but outside of one safety hit with not near enough recovery time, essentially was a game over. A few cases I found encounters almost unwinnable due to using resources around the arena, and enemies just kept coming.

In terms of story I understand part of the plot was Amicia coming to terms with Hugo needed to die to stop the Macula, since she was clearly in a saving him at all cost mindset from the start, but it goes on too long for outright death and destruction of a city/island to the point where it really feels like they needed to have a talk about it before.

Also I'm not clear on what the whole point of the dream was, unless it was for Hugo to accept the Macula and kill everything, since the whole island trip at the end of the day was pretty pointless.

The art and visuals are amazing though, and while it's not worth it for a full 60 dollar game it's probably worth it when it drops down to half the price.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh and before I forget, the other problem I have with World of Horror is the combat is not very interesting. There's a bunch of options you can do but I honestly feel like there's no reason not to just prepare - > attack over and over. I know you can kill spirit enemies with a specific clap bow combo but you have to trial and error that every run or whatever which doesn't seem worth the resource drain.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh and before I forget, the other problem I have with World of Horror is the combat is not very interesting. There's a bunch of options you can do but I honestly feel like there's no reason not to just prepare - > attack over and over. I know you can kill spirit enemies with a specific clap bow combo but you have to trial and error that every run or whatever which doesn't seem worth the resource drain.

It really doesn't. If it was fixed to types of ghosts and you could record what works then it could be interesting, but playing Wordle in the middle of combat every game isn't fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Fun Faith Chapter 3 late game thing I didn't realize until someone else pointed it out

John's entire drug trip sequence is visual representation of the lyrics to King of Pain by The Police, which was also sung by John in one of the trailers. I guess the dude just really likes Sting?

sad question
May 30, 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

A gameplay trailer for the Outlast Trials has been released, and it's, well, predictable.
When I saw the title I thought for a second it was a weird crossover with the ubisoft motorbike games

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Don't judge me but I'd love to play Maiden of Black Water over the halloween season, should I get the steam port or the switch version? They're the same price and both have spooky jiggle physics as far as I can tell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other than not trusting KT PC ports there's no difference as far as I'm aware.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I got the switch version and it was fine, not sure about the steam one. For older games I tend to lean towards console because they *tend* to be more stable, although that's not a guarantee since you can't patch them manually.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

PC port is fine if somewhat barebones. You can always refund it if you run into issues though. The remake of the fourth game which never got localized is coming out March of next year too and I think it's a better Fatal Frame game too.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the PC port first! I was asking mostly for the performance since I don't care about the costumes/DLC exclusives if there are any, I just want some spooks and I loved the first four entries.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

PC port is fine if somewhat barebones. You can always refund it if you run into issues though. The remake of the fourth game which never got localized is coming out March of next year too and I think it's a better Fatal Frame game too.

The fourth game is definitely underrated IMO, I even thought it was better than the third but that might be a bit controversial. I'll definitely buy the port, the fan translation was great but the performance on the emulator was a bit patchy at times.

e: also having to change your settings just to play the piano was a pain, but it was definitely playable and enjoyable as is

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the PC port first! I was asking mostly for the performance since I don't care about the costumes/DLC exclusives if there are any, I just want some spooks and I loved the first four entries.

The fourth game is definitely underrated IMO, I even thought it was better than the third but that might be a bit controversial. I'll definitely buy the port, the fan translation was great but the performance on the emulator was a bit patchy at times.

e: also having to change your settings just to play the piano was a pain, but it was definitely playable and enjoyable as is

For what it's worth, the PC port does have a mod that adds in the costumes from the Wii U port of Maiden of Black Water.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

Spoilers for the final battle: my friends and I killed the final boss maybe three times trying to play that piano correctly using those controls

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I had some issues with the PC port desyncing audio in cutscenes after the performance patches but otherwise it was an ok if basic port.

Speaking of patches, Atama got a patch that made it playable for me, so no more headaches from flashing or wrong camera movements, so I finished it and got one of presumably four endings(based on achievements). It's fine with a pretty decent atmosphere and basic puzzles cantered around the sightjacking, but the floating heads just makes it so goofy. Yes I know they are stolen from a Junji Ito story, but even there they were just grotesque not scary, and here they aren't even that. And while there is a level that does something somewhat interesting with them, it's also the sewer/mine level, were you have to navigate through a dark maze with twisting passages , all alike.
Overall I'm not regretting buying and playing it, but it's also very clearly an early effort indie horror game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scorn: Try Finger But Hole