Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Columbo, but a pakled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought it was more "we fired Roddenberry, please come back"?

There was that, but also Diana Muldaur was absolutely not coming back; between hating the technobabble and the cold shoulder the cast was giving her, TNG was a miserable slog for her.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A good source of BTS drama stories are the 50 Year Mission books. They’re oral histories from cast and crew who aren’t always 100% candid, but it’s usually pretty easy to read between the lines.

Marina Sirtis and Robert Beltran don’t pull any punches in it though, and their stories are among the most scathing.

Lol, didn't Robert Beltran keep asking for ridiculous pay raises in order to get out of Voyager, only to have the studio OK it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

I have to admit there's also the part of me that will never find it not-lame that Trill don't even have forehead ridges, just those itty bitty lame spots.

Well they got a kangaroo pouch

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, didn't Robert Beltran keep asking for ridiculous pay raises in order to get out of Voyager, only to have the studio OK it?

It’s been a while so I don’t remember the raise stuff, but he did ask for the Seven romance, thinking they’d never do it. :laugh:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s been a while so I don’t remember the raise stuff, but he did ask for the Seven romance, thinking they’d never do it. :laugh:

Jeri Ryan is a saint for rolling with all of those punches.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow. It's the 24th century. How she lives her life is up to her.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Good for him!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I would love to hangout with Beltran and drink and complain about Star Trek.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The General posted:

I would love to hangout with Beltran and drink and complain about Star Trek.

You might be able to answer the greatest question in the universe: who can complain more about Star Trek, Star Trek fans or Star Trek actors?

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I always thought Capt Kurt was a turd.

Picard seemed like a cool dude.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

Wow. It's the 24th century. How she lives her life is up to her.

Lol, I missed that.

Pick posted:

You might be able to answer the greatest question in the universe: who can complain more about Star Trek, Star Trek fans or Star Trek actors?

Wow, that's deep. Kind of like a koan to clear the geek mind.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
iirc Beltran was the highest paid actor on Voyager because yeah he basically kept asking for raises he thought would surely result in a "well, thanks but looks like we're gonna kill you off then" but then instead they just gave it to him.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A really hammy actor asking for a raise has got to be a thing to behold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A really hammy actor asking for a raise has got to be a thing to behold.

"Hammy" is not the way I would describe Chakotay.

"Sedated" would be more appropriate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Marina Sirtis and Robert Beltran don’t pull any punches in it though, and their stories are among the most scathing.
I know about Beltran, but Sirtis? Thats interesting. Do tell!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

iirc Beltran was the highest paid actor on Voyager because yeah he basically kept asking for raises he thought would surely result in a "well, thanks but looks like we're gonna kill you off then" but then instead they just gave it to him.

Sounds like Janeway needed to read Lean In.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

That would be fascinating, one of my favorite commentaries ever is Frakes and Sirtis and I'm pretty sure Sirtis is drunk the entire time. Insurrection, I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iac3zRH6nis&t=2141s

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Hammy" is not the way I would describe Chakotay.

"Sedated" would be more appropriate.

I'd agree about Beltran. I was thinking of a different, hypothetical actor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Have you not seen the costume she had to wear for most of the series run until Jellico told her to put on a uniform?

Also it's funny how DS9, like Voyager, put one of their female leads in a figure-hugging bodysuit. Except in their case it was done so Nana Visitor could have a decent range of motion that her old uniform simply wasn't capable of, not to mention it didn't explicitly sculpt around her tits to show them off prominently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not seen the costume she had to wear for most of the series run until Jellico told her to put on a uniform?
I figured it was that + lovely writing that made her sit around all day for mindrape episodes or "I'm feeling hostility, captain". I was wondering if anything else popped up

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Because I was super cool as a kid, I went to a Star Trek convention to see Johnathan Frakes back when TNG was still on the air. He kept talking about how he and Marina Sirtis HATED each other in real life, but kept having to act like they were in love.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that, even as a kid, I could tell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just think, in character Troi was allowed to go without uniform for . . . cultural reasons? I dunno, but obviously for Troi (unlike Sirtis) it was a choice. And she's an empath. So basically she chose to wear provocative clothing because she enjoyed the feeling of making random dudes feel horny.

I guess the pervy apple doesn't fall far from the pervy tree.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 12, 2018

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I think it was in the movie Trekkies where they showed off the "augmented Starfleet bra" that made all of the women look like they had massive boobs. The horny teenager in my appreciated it, but the jaded man-child I have shrunken into now finds it pretty loving crass.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

guys in zero gravity boobs go crazy you need to uh have special undergarments otherwise they will just pop out and start smacking on panels ejecting warp cores and the like

yeah

thats the ticket

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've heard at least one actress say the bras were the best part of costuming. And another one agreed. Though who said it, I couldn't tell you.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I like comparing the boobs in the Season 1 picture to the later seasons:

Season 1: Looks pretty normal

Season 7: :holymoley: Beverly's got some boobs, yo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I see Frakes was also using the bra by season 7

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I see Frakes was also using the bra by season 7

Riker needed cutting edge Federation technology to create a manssiere so that Picard's Number One Moobs were always standing at attention.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like comparing the boobs in the Season 1 picture to the later seasons:

Season 1: Looks pretty normal

Why are Picard's hands so huge? He's like the anti-trump.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Pick posted:

I have to admit there's also the part of me that will never find it not-lame that Trill don't even have forehead ridges, just those itty bitty lame spots.

You can blame Terry Farrell for that one. Apparently she was allergic to the latex makeup so they had to come up with something else.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why are Picard's hands so huge? He's like the anti-trump.

Everybody knows that Jean Luc's got that big dick energy going. Makes sense he's got big hands, to boot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Getting through season 4 of DS9 now.

Isn't it POSS-ible? :manning:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're DAMNED right!

I love how loving Worf, who has been a tactical officer for the last decade almost, needs to be reminded to identify a target before firing on it

C'mon dude. This was literally your job for a long time. You think Picard would be good with letting you go all twin-streams on an unidentified ship?

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 12, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

You can blame Terry Farrell for that one. Apparently she was allergic to the latex makeup so they had to come up with something else.

How about big ol Torgo knees

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I really love with DS9 is when they go through the bodies after a weapons blast or hand-to-hand combat, it's not just "well they're dead" like other Trek shows, it's "Ramirez is down, Bob got shot, Ted was fried by a plasma blast".

Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun...

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Those spots go all the way down, though :heysexy:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need to emphasize every syllable, “POSS” just even more.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Same reason she wasn't disguised as a Klingon for the mission where they went changeling-hunting, even though it makes no sense for Dax to not be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FuturePastNow posted:

Same reason she wasn't disguised as a Klingon for the mission where they went changeling-hunting, even though it makes no sense for Dax to not be there.

They should have at least had a line about it. Like it would be funny if Jadzia herself was actually allergic to the prosthetics.