Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sorry for lack of full details, I'm not on the A/V team so hearing this from them:

Company upgraded a bunch of AV stuff for their main presentation room. It already had multiple cameras, projectors, decent sound system, etc... so this was more a "back end" upgrade on the stuff "running the show", so to speak.

Well, they now discovered that the new equipment they have recognizes that they're broadcasting the meetings/presentations to multiple locations (Zoom to both WFH people and the company's other physical building) and, as a result, they can't play licensed music anymore. It knows it's being streamed and refuses to send the audio. This was discovered for the first time during a BIG meeting with CEO and board of directors.

It wasn't found during the dry run-through because that was local-only, they weren't doing any testing of the Zoom stream then, just the local multimedia aspect.

this doesnt sound right to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Combo posted:

Did Grover finally die in his own house? I was away for a while.

Also it's review time here so I should be poised to get a decent raise.

A while back I pitched a new security system for work because we were paying multiple companies to do a poo poo job of things, so I found a company that does all in one and goes way above and beyond. Ownership gave me the green light to get it. In doing the walkthrough with the sales rep on what equipment we're going to need and where to put it, the topic of installation came up. My boss quickly piped up that the installation would be done by me and another guy here rather than paying a company to do it.

It may surprise you to know that I'm not a security system installer. Nonetheless, myself and the other guy devoted our weekends to getting everything installed and took extra time to clean up the mess that is the network wiring in this building. We're done for now and ultimately saved the company about $25k. Best believe I'm bringing that poo poo up.
"Did you get paid for the weekend work?" he, a European, nervously asked a resident of hellcountry

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chewbecca posted:

I have to keep convincing my part time colleague to actually leave on time. She will be meant to finish at 3pm and I will find her online at 3 45 still working away

In one way it makes my life easier if she does all this free labour as it reduces my workload, but I can't in good conscience knowingly let her do it! Also it makes higher ups think that less people are needed because look how much is possible in only 15 hours!!

If the company is paying you for 15 hours (or whatever) then that is what you should do. No more, although maybe slightly less.
Old job:
Me: If you don't log off I'll yell at you.
Non-european I hired into a role: I feel like I have to work extra time because I'm still learning and it takes me so long to do everything.
Me: Someone more experienced would have cost more. If we were expecting you to spend more time to get the same work done as someone more experienced we should have just paid more money for someone with more experience in the first place.
Employee: :aaaaa:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Me: Our customer payments system is missing a configuration option but I'm not sure which one of the 100's of undocumented one fixes it.

Payment System tech support: We will only provide tech support to OldCFO account owner - Mario.

Me: Mario resigned a year ago.

Payment System support: You cannot transfer it to NewCFO without creating an entire new account and setting up every up payment account from scratch.

NewCFO: Call them back in 1 minute.

NewCFO: It's-A-Me! Mario!

Payment System support: Thank you, we will now provide the tech support to It's-A-Me-Mario. No, we won't actually verify that you are actually It's-A-Me-Mario.

He actually said It's-A-Me! Mario! and it worked. I think NewCFO is going to look at changing our customer payments system for someone else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Comstar posted:

He actually said It's-A-Me! Mario!
...I was not expecting this

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

20 Blunts posted:

this doesnt sound right to me

I checked with the AV guys today, and I had it slightly wrong.

It doesn't refuse to play music when streaming to another location, it's just if it's projecting anything on the overhead.

The hardware (a Crestron unit,) has HDCP and, for a time, the AV team was able to bypass it. But they did some sort of update and now if the Crestron is presenting, the DRM on a lot of music is detected and it will just not broadcast audio from the PC that's piping it into the Crestron unit itself.

They did a workaround for a time by just having a laptop stream audio out to it's AUX port into an AUX input on the AV receiver, but then all the syncing/starting/stopping had to be done manually.

They did get a proper license for Spotify that, in theory, should allow music to be played...but even that got hosed up because the Buyer in the company who did the actual purchasing did so under HER work email account, not a shared account. I assume at this point they moved the license to a shared service account, but IDK.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The hardware (a Crestron unit,) has HDCP and, for a time, the AV team was able to bypass it. But they did some sort of update and now if the Crestron is presenting, the DRM on a lot of music is detected and it will just not broadcast audio from the PC that's piping it into the Crestron unit itself.

We've come to hate Crestrons with a passion.

But that might mostly because closest AV guy to our office is in Chicago (Which is assuredly not within convenient driving distance of this office - which is also the company headquarters) and he refuses to do any support because "It's just plugging things in, you guys can figure it out"

Also one of the few times he actually came here, he started giving one dude on our team an unprompted, unasked for shoulder massage.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Cthulu Carl posted:

Also one of the few times he actually came here, he started giving one dude on our team an unprompted, unasked for shoulder massage.

:whitewater:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Cthulu Carl posted:

But that might mostly because closest AV guy to our office is in Chicago (Which is assuredly not within convenient driving distance of this office - which is also the company headquarters) and he refuses to do any support because "It's just plugging things in, you guys can figure it out"

That's the Crestron touch

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Comstar posted:

Me: Our customer payments system is missing a configuration option but I'm not sure which one of the 100's of undocumented one fixes it.

Payment System tech support: We will only provide tech support to OldCFO account owner - Mario.

Me: Mario resigned a year ago.

Payment System support: You cannot transfer it to NewCFO without creating an entire new account and setting up every up payment account from scratch.

NewCFO: Call them back in 1 minute.

NewCFO: It's-A-Me! Mario!

Payment System support: Thank you, we will now provide the tech support to It's-A-Me-Mario. No, we won't actually verify that you are actually It's-A-Me-Mario.

He actually said It's-A-Me! Mario! and it worked. I think NewCFO is going to look at changing our customer payments system for someone else.

hah, I had something similar a while back. Previously the company was owned and run by two brothers. They had a falling out and one brother bought the other one out and he's still the owner to this day. I was tasked with shutting other brother's access down for everything that I could think of. One of them was the old security system, so I had to call them.

Called them up and let them know he no longer worked there and shouldn't have access anymore. "He's listed as one of the owners on the account sir." I said ok, well let me know what I need to do, if I need to submit something in writing from the other owner or what, I don't know how it works. "No that's ok, we'll remove him from the account".

I had never called in and dealt with them before, they had no idea who I was, and I called from my own personal cell number instead of a work number. I could have been literally anyone.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Chewbecca posted:

The thing is she is doing this without being asked, which is different to being directed to do it - which the company would never do. She obviously feels pressured to work extra hours to get everything done, but I've told her that if things need to fall apart so be it, it's not her job to prop up an entire company. There are people paid a lot more than us who need to solve that problem.

I had to shake my wife like a maraca out of doing this to herself constantly. She's hardwired to feel solely responsible for anything that she's involved in, and would work for HOURS past. Absolutely nobody at any of her jobs over the years asked it of her, and most were aghast if they found out and would try to convince her she didn't have to work late. It took regular therapy and ultimately ADHD meds to even take a bite out of it, and it still pops up every once in a while.

She constantly chased a "I just have to get X done, then I can relax" but there's always another X. Apparently it started in college and rode right into the real world with her. Thanks for looking out for your coworkers health.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 10, 2024

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm a utility arborist. I constantly have to access people's property for stuff. At this point, I've been on probably thousands of different parcels. The number of times I've been asked for my corporate ID: once. People legit are the weakest point in any security system.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you want to rob me or install bugs for the NSA and you have a chain saw or pole saw I'm not going to argue to see an ID.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am on a conference call, and a senior manager is chanting “It’s summer critical, this has to happen on Tuesday!” Like this is the phrase that pays or some poo poo. Every other person on the call is telling him what needs to be done to get things ready for Tuesday, and he is just responding with his mantra.

At one point, an individual contributor walked the manager through the fact that no one on the call has the authority to just clear the board like he wants to free up field operators, and immediately after the person covering for the scheduler on PTO reading notes that an email detailing this was sent to the manager (at unknown point in the past), things maybe finally started sinking in. That the manager might have to do more than chant some magical words to get a project finished.

So glad I am not having to do anything other than listen to the dumb off the rails call.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cthulu Carl posted:

*breathily* It's just plugging things in...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This is summer critical.

This is summer critical.

THIS IS SUMMER CRITICAL.

THIS IS SUMMER CRITICAL!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

So is my PTO, chief.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

This is summah critical.

This is summah critical.

THIS IS SUMMAH CRITICAL.

THIS IS SUMMAH CRITICAL!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SubponticatePoster posted:

If your email response to them wasn't literally "eat poo poo lol" then it sounds like a bunch of folks are pissbabies.

This just kind of happens. Telling anyone "no" around here is equivalent of firebombing their grandmother's house. Telling them that they need to provide basic details required by the system is like executing their dog in front of them. A director gave me a bad charge number for a "must do" order last week and when I told him I can't do what he asked he told me to find a solution for him. It's not as bad as a friend of mine who works at the same site as my wife who tried to get the site ops manager to use Microsoft Project. The guy apparently watched multiple YouTube videos about "Project Management" and complained in a meeting that he watched five hours of videos on YouTube on "Project Management" and they never once touched on Project. Mother. Fucker.

So my boss' boss is going to corporate in June. I'm currently trying to recruit the friend mentioned above to take his job, but he's so burnt out with the company that he would rather resign and finish the dissertation he's had half completed for the last six years before taking a lateral. I applied to a step-up role in contract management after he told me that because he was my last hope. We'll see where this goes.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

I made my daily report a Haiku. Then someone wants to know my birthday, so they can send "wishes", I'm currently formulating a riddle for them to solve. I'm being productive!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

They got cake for the post docs going away party without talking to him and he's allergic to dairy and therefore all three cakes so we're just going through our desks like "uhhh I have stale pretzels"

He was only here for a few weeks and left for what he said was "a better job" so it makes the fact it took 3 years to fill that role even funnier

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Dumb poo poo your work does: THIS IS SUMMAH CRITICAL

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

McGavin posted:

This is summer critical.

This is summer critical.

THIS IS SUMMER CRITICAL.

THIS IS SUMMER CRITICAL!

Almost, start and stay at the same 3rd level the entire time. And intersperse it with comments about promises being made to directors and executives.

I did love the comment he made later about “we need other people to just drop their work, but we are not going to escalate this to upper management” Told me everything I need to know about how this is on his goals, and he doesn’t want to have to look bad to his boss to get it done.

And it also really doesn’t help that the PM running the project under this manager is super green, like no clue about anything in the company. She sounds so lost when people are try to explain what actually needs to happen for things to progress.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

That's the Crestron touch

Crestron bad touch comes as standard.

You need the gold partner plan for the Crestron good touch.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

zedprime posted:

If you want to rob me or install bugs for the NSA and you have a chain saw or pole saw I'm not going to argue to see an ID.

Yeah any nsa agents out there, dont waste time with costumes and elaborate plans. A modest cash bribe and I will let you in any door I can.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The game Hitman, only instead of elaborate plans you just hand the bored desk guy $100.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Minimum wage security guard late on rent and working a double, seeing a bald man with a barcode tattoo dressed as a chef: "psst, hey, buddy..."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The NSA agent doesn't have to sneak in, they can just waive an NSL and walk in and no one can do a thing about it

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

And the resignation announcement emails have started :stare:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chewbecca posted:

And the resignation announcement emails have started :stare:

lmao im in this boat too and the boat is on fire, luckily my job of rearranging deck chairs is secure

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I'm a utility arborist. I constantly have to access people's property for stuff. At this point, I've been on probably thousands of different parcels. The number of times I've been asked for my corporate ID: once. People legit are the weakest point in any security system.

But I bet you show up in company branded vests and shirts and vehicles. It's a lot easier to see all that and just accept you are who you are with all that backing you up. Yeah, best practices would be to confirm, but unless you hijacked a utility truck and started cutting down trees for fun I don't think a lot of people will be overly concerned.

In "Today's unforced errors" for some reason every single purchase order in our system comes with a pre-printed copy going to a company we stopped doing business with in 2019. I pulled a completely blank order and it was there before I even edited or saved to get a PO number, which should be impossible. It shows up as released to the company, and any attempt to create your own line gets rejected, so you have to go in after and create ANOTHER line to get a digital copy of the order. I fully do not understand how this could even be a thing, let alone a company wide event.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
We have a company all-hands meeting I just panicked and thought I was late for because the notification that someone joined popped up - nope, it's just some psycho deciding to hop into the meeting 15 minutes early. What the absolute gently caress.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
early meeting joiners are the worst. I usually just let them wait. I have enough meetings daily im not showing up 15 minutes early because im the only meeting in your calendar.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

When a meeting time hits, I deliberately wait 30 seconds so as not to be the first one in, or forced to make small talk

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I sit on the Teams joining page until it automatically mutes me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrangersInTheNight posted:

We have a company all-hands meeting I just panicked and thought I was late for because the notification that someone joined popped up - nope, it's just some psycho deciding to hop into the meeting 15 minutes early. What the absolute gently caress.
Ugggggh. The best is when someone joins early, realises they're early, leaves, but someone else is already about to join, so they join, realise they're early, leave, but now...

It's like a reply all with notification chirps.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

goatface posted:

This is the way

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I join the zoom call when i get the 10 minute notification, go to full mute/no camera and don’t respond until it starts. I’d forget to join until 5 minutes later otherwise

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

goatface posted:

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Chewbecca posted:

When a meeting time hits, I deliberately wait 30 seconds so as not to be the first one in, or forced to make small talk

Same but 5 minutes

goatface posted:

drat that's way better