Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't idle my oven all day long :) Fish tank isn't being actively heated mostly either. Synology NAS, maybe 10-15w, switch and modem??? but not much. I don't have a recent power bill handy but based on the price it has to average around that, maybe 300w tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Impressive! I've got like 8 fish tanks in the house in addition to all the electronic stuff so I'm just glad I live in a cheap energy area.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If your total usage truly does average out to only 300W / ~200 kWh consumed in a month, I'm assuming that you live somewhere magical where HVAC simply isn't necessary.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just checked and we average about 80 kWh a day here, 200w average would put you at about 5 kWh a day.

e: that was for this past month with mostly open window weather, looking at an AC month we get about 105 kWh daily average.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Enos Cabell posted:

Impressive! I've got like 8 fish tanks in the house in addition to all the electronic stuff so I'm just glad I live in a cheap energy area.

Have you thought about replacing your fish tank water heaters with a whole home server heated system? Just an idea.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

deong posted:

Have you thought about replacing your fish tank water heaters with a whole home server heated system? Just an idea.

It probably wouldn't surprise anyone posting ITT that I've seriously considered designing an open loop system using one of my larger tanks to house the radiator.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Enos Cabell posted:

It probably wouldn't surprise anyone posting ITT that I've seriously considered designing an open loop system using one of my larger tanks to house the radiator.

Slowly cooking your crabs with your server.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah my total usage for the whole house over last year averaged out to having a 150W equivalent thing switched on 24/7, but it's definitely only feasible by not counting the kWh in natural gas expended to heat the place and water. I think the two Synology devices I have idle at 30W together or thereabouts. That's actually a relatively significant part of my usage, considering.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Found a bill, it was 551kWh from Jan 1st-April 1st. That's 255w average exactly :smug:

Obviously not including hot water and heating because that's central and not electric. No a/c. Obviously those might be necessary where you are, it was just a bit :eyepop: at networking and NAS gear using >200W by itself. I've actually since then made an effort to suspend/shut down more stuff including the NAS which should be off during the night mostly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah my NAS is under 100W but it shuts down at 03:00 now and a smart plug turns it back on at 19:00

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My air conditioning alone takes 700 kWh / month in the summer here both because it can reach 40c frequently as well as my house being over 100 years old and built pretty terribly over time by negligent / cheap owners. My RTX 3090 uses more power typically than my NAS, PoE switch, UniFi DreamMachine Pro, and 24 various RPM hard drives according to my KillAWatt and the APC UPS. Figure you’re all single folks living in apartments / flats alone in relatively modern buildings

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh it could not be done with someone else living here as well, you're on the money with that as far as I'm concerned.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah my NAS is under 100W but it shuts down at 03:00 now and a smart plug turns it back on at 19:00
When do you run scrub/patrols on your array?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On Tuesdays it powers on earlier in the day and the parity check (Unraid) completes. There's only 4x 6TB disks in there so it doesn't take too long.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

deong posted:

I had an 800 sq ft condo in the bay area, the only heating for it was the homelab.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

I had an 800 sq ft condo in the bay area, the only heating for it was the homelab.

Makes me miss my Baltimore row house...parasitically living all winter off my neighbors' heat.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Smashing Link posted:

Makes me miss my Baltimore row house...parasitically living all winter off my neighbors' heat.

gently caress, don't remind me I used to live like this too

Fake edit: also checked my eletric bill, 1400 kWh/mo average (south louisiana)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Plugged into my UPS, I have:

-My NAS, which is a Xeon L3426 in a microATX Supermicro board with a 10G NIC, a SAS controller, and 8 3.5" hard drives
-A Mikrotik 24x1G+2x10G "switch" which also handles routing, DHCP and DNS
-My Plex server/automation sandbox, a refurb SFF HP desktop retrofitted with an i5-10400
-A 4-port PoE injector which is powering two Cisco 2802i APs
-AT&T's 1GbE router and wall-mounted fiber-copper media converter

This is using 156W according to the UPS display while the Plex server is streaming a video which is hosted on the NAS. If your hardware is using more than 200W idle, it's definitely capable of more than just hosting a NAS.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 27, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Plugged into my UPS, I have:

-My NAS, which is a Xeon L3426 in a microATX Supermicro board with a 10G NIC, a SAS controller, and 8 3.5" hard drives
-A Mikrotik 24x1G+2x10G "switch" which also handles routing, DHCP and DNS
-My Plex server/automation sandbox, a refurb SFF HP desktop retrofitted with an i5-10400
-A 4-port PoE injector which is powering two Cisco 2802i APs
-AT&T's 1GbE router and wall-mounted fiber-copper media converter

This is using 156W according to the UPS display while the Plex server is streaming a video which is hosted on the NAS. If your hardware is using more than 200W idle, it's definitely capable of more than just hosting a NAS.
Considering that the server's CPU is from '09, that's pretty impressive - processors back then had only very rudimentary powersaving compared to nowadays, so a new board off ebay/craigslist or their local equivalents might save you a not-inconsiderable amount of power.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
My NAS really isn't a NAS but a Plex + gaming PC + hobby development box all-in-one, which is why the power draw is so huge. It has that stupid 2080S, bunch of RGB, a quadro card for transcoding and gobs of RAM and 10G networking, among other things.

During winter months it does double duty as space heater.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kivi posted:

My NAS really isn't a NAS but a Plex + gaming PC + hobby development box all-in-one, which is why the power draw is so huge. It has that stupid 2080S, bunch of RGB, a quadro card for transcoding and gobs of RAM and 10G networking, among other things.

During winter months it does double duty as space heater.

What kind of motherboard are you using? It seems like most mobos with PCI-E x2 can't really handle dual GPUs + 10Gbe card + 1 nvme drive - there just aren't enough lanes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol our house was built in that narrow energy crisis window in the 70s and literally everything is electric, baseboard heat, water heater, stove, clothes dryer, etc

thankfully we’re in a region where evaporative cooling works extremely well, and that only pulls 500w and a bit of water to cool down to 68-70° inside even when it’s pushing 100° outside, so we save a ton on air conditioning costs

all that plus an EV and we use over 1000kwh a month pretty easily in the winter

we did get solar installed which offsets a solid portion of that

tl;dr a continuous 300w draw from a server rack is a rounding error for me

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Whats a good app for Windows to help me move/consolidate the contents of four individual disks onto one disk ? Need to move ~5TB data total off of some 2TBs onto an 8TB, all of which are WD Black drives.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I like Bvckup 2, just a really nice piece of software all around

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MREBoy posted:

Whats a good app for Windows to help me move/consolidate the contents of four individual disks onto one disk ? Need to move ~5TB data total off of some 2TBs onto an 8TB, all of which are WD Black drives.

Windows has a builtin 'robocopy' command which is very good for that, but you need to figure out the suitable options.

robocopy SOURCE TARGET /E /Z /V /FP /ETA /TEE /XJ

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Saukkis posted:

Windows has a builtin 'robocopy' command which is very good for that, but you need to figure out the suitable options.

robocopy SOURCE TARGET /E /Z /V /FP /ETA /TEE /XJ

Other highly useful options:

/XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information" if you are targeting a root drive (ie C:\ or whatever). Those are NTFS directories you very much don't want to copy. You could also use /XA:S to exclude all system files, but that may or may not be what you want.

/R:3 /W:3 retries & seconds between retry. By default robocopy will retry failures 1 million times.

/LOG:logfile.log have logs, logs are good

/DCOPY:T copies the timestamp of directories -- kinda aesthetic value but I really like that. (File timestamps are copied by default, but if you don't use this option all the folders will have new times.)

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
These are just a bunch of non-OS bearing NTFS disks with the various accumulated digital crap I have built up over the last how many ever years. I'm building a new box soon and am just wanting to consolidate 6 drives onto 2.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh look, some dork got a Netflix cache server to use as a NAS, and you might be able too if you want a 1.5kW machine at home!

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/10/redditor-acquires-decommissioned-netflix-cache-server-with-262tb-of-storage/

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Man that thing would have cost a pretty penny in 2013 for the drives.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
oh heck yeah ps/2 ports.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh look, some dork got a Netflix cache server to use as a NAS, and you might be able too if you want a 1.5kW machine at home!

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/10/redditor-acquires-decommissioned-netflix-cache-server-with-262tb-of-storage/
It's just a bog standard x86 boxen running FreeBSD, nginx, and BIRD for routing - Netflix has been publishing just about every significant technical detail on their open connect appliances for the past 5 years.
Neither Ars' writer or Vice's writer, nor anyone else involved, seems to have a clue how to use a search engine.

other people posted:

oh heck yeah ps/2 ports.
Most 1U KVMs still have PS/2 ports, even brand new ones.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 28, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's just a bog standard x86 boxen running FreeBSD, nginx, and BIRD for routing - Netflix has been publishing just about every significant technical detail on their open connect appliances for the past 5 years.
Neither Ars' writer or Vice's writer, nor anyone else involved, seems to have a clue how to use a search engine.

Oh wow, that's actually refreshingly transparent.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, because after that basically everything worth remote managing has IPMI. There's simply no need for rack mounted KVMs anymore with modern equipment.

The only thing I have put in racks in the last decade that relates to remote management are serial consoles for network gear and as super backup access to things like blade chassis controllers and network accessible PDUs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Oh wow, that's actually refreshingly transparent.
They've also opensourced and upstreamed basically every change that made them capable of delivering up to 400Gbps out of a single one of those modern servers - by pusing it all into FreeBSDs repo of record.
Only thing they haven't upstreamed is a bunch of code for proprietary hardware, that they couldn't convince their suppliers to upstream despite offering to do all of the work for them.

Motronic posted:

Yes, because after that basically everything worth remote managing has IPMI. There's simply no need for rack mounted KVMs anymore with modern equipment.

The only thing I have put in racks in the last decade that relates to remote management are serial consoles for network gear and as super backup access to things like blade chassis controllers and network accessible PDUs.
I'd say that it's almost the other way around - anything that doesn't have IPMI isn't worth buying. :v:

Even after OOB BMCs started being standard, PS2 still got included - the X9 series from Supermicro still had them, and Supermicro have been including IPMI for a long time if memory serves.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Given the Spyder devices were too expensive for home lab use and there’s options like PiKVM and TinyPilot now IPMI is not as much of a dealbreaker as it used to be. Planning on grabbing some Odroid boards for home automation and embedded projects given rPis are basically not viable for the original purposes anymore post-pandemic.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

IPMI does render KVM relatively obsolete but there's still something to be said for having KVM access when you're having to trudge down there to do hardware maintenance anyway. Particularly if you need to set up the IPMI settings in the first place!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

IPMI does render KVM relatively obsolete but there's still something to be said for having KVM access when you're having to trudge down there to do hardware maintenance anyway. Particularly if you need to set up the IPMI settings in the first place!

I'm my deployments (professional, not home gamer stuff) that is exactly what the serial console is for.

As far as KVM access when you're at the rack it's a lot easier to pull out your laptop and plug into the pre-prepared ethernet port on your out of band management switch. Or you're grabbing a crash cart from the facility and plugging directly into a device.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just remember the afternoon I spent having to boot up brand new servers and enable some bios setting so the PXE would kickstart properly. Did so many by the end I knew the perfect gap between powering them on that I could start 7, walk around to the crash cart at the back and have time to plug in the KVM, do the change, save and reboot and move to the next machine.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Considering that the server's CPU is from '09, that's pretty impressive - processors back then had only very rudimentary powersaving compared to nowadays, so a new board off ebay/craigslist or their local equivalents might save you a not-inconsiderable amount of power.

Yeah, I actually started with an X3440 which is a normal 95W 4C/8T part and later swapped in the L3426 which has a power curve more like a laptop chip - in fact, the base frequency/max turbo/TDP are the same as i7-840QM. It's been a while since I tried to isolate how much power just the NAS draws and how much of that is hard drives vs. everything else, but I feel like the platform power was only around 20-30W typically. The i5-10400 box is indeed proportionally much better with idle power around 7W, but I only pay about $0.10/kWh so it's not a big deal.

I have been lucky in that none of the old hardware I've used for this has failed on me yet, but that won't last forever and a newer platform would have much better I/O so I have been considering an upgrade. My current gaming desktop with a Ryzen 3700X would be great if I could verify the state of ECC support for its motherboard, but it's tempting to just build a new system based on Alder Lake (e: well, Raptor Lake now).

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd like to upgrade my venerable N40L running WHS2011 and DrivePool. What's my easiest route to a new setup without having to buy a whole new batch of drives? I'm planning on repurposing my old gaming machine (i7-4790K, 32GB of RAM) but I'm not sure if I want to go all out with Windows Server and just getting a new DrivePool license or what. I know I'm going to miss WHS's simple share and user management regardless.