Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's a Suzuki GSX750, and if you were on the ball and had stacks of cash you could have bought one.

In addition to the stretched swingarm it sounds like they cut up and lengthened the frame in front too, so god knows what it's like to ride.

I think the car tyre on the back and rear tyre on the front moots any discussion about the frame's handling qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
And yet it's still more rideable than the fat POS from the Sylvester Stallone version (so I hear).

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Has anyone got that quote about a dystopian future with driver-less cars and the persons being chased on their old fuel driven motorbike? Need it for a project.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fixed my oil seep near Liard River.

VSS is extra hosed now, I reset my trip odometer in Whitehorse and by Anchorage it's counted all of 54 miles.

No Harley dealers in 2500 miles of here have one and it's a dinky little $50 05+ sportster part, so that kind of blows my mind. I wonder what happens if something serious fails on the road, do you get to camp out for a week while they pull a warehouse transfer out of their asses?

Useless parts support network. Basically, gently caress Harley forever

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Got my Vstrom back from the shop. Longest 37 days ever. New engine, rides GREAT. So excited to go for a romp once traffic dies down.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Fixed my oil seep near Liard River.

VSS is extra hosed now, I reset my trip odometer in Whitehorse and by Anchorage it's counted all of 54 miles.

No Harley dealers in 2500 miles of here have one and it's a dinky little $50 05+ sportster part, so that kind of blows my mind. I wonder what happens if something serious fails on the road, do you get to camp out for a week while they pull a warehouse transfer out of their asses?

Useless parts support network. Basically, gently caress Harley forever

But the point of buying American is not having to wait for parts to ship from overseas! :haw:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Alaska might as well be overseas. I lived there when I was a kid and I can't thank my parents enough for relocating before I had to experience living there as a high schooler and adult.

Now, since they chose Michigan...

It is pretty awful that they aren't stocking parts for like, probably the most common bike in America though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So has anyone read about this goofy poo poo yet:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2017-yamaha-scr950-scrambler/

They're making another hipsterbike, this time instead of resurrecting the SR400, they turned a Bolt cruiser into a scrambler.

It's true, hipsters really do ruin everything.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a v-t Bonneville

HotCanadianChick posted:

But the point of buying American is not having to wait for parts to ship from overseas! :haw:

Don't get me loving started. They have three dealers here. Three. I would have rode to fairbanks if they had one there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

So has anyone read about this goofy poo poo yet:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2017-yamaha-scr950-scrambler/

They're making another hipsterbike, this time instead of resurrecting the SR400, they turned a Bolt cruiser into a scrambler.

It's true, hipsters really do ruin everything.

It looks like a bloated deer.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

Got my Vstrom back from the shop. Longest 37 days ever. New engine, rides GREAT. So excited to go for a romp once traffic dies down.

Any chudder?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

It looks like a bloated deer.

It is.
550 lbs, what's it going to scramble from?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Keket posted:

Has anyone got that quote about a dystopian future with driver-less cars and the persons being chased on their old fuel driven motorbike? Need it for a project.

It's all in a thread called "network traffic" in AI.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's like five pages down so here's a link if you can't be bothered digging.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

Any chudder?

There may have been a little but no where near like the old engine. The old one had ~49k miles and this one is unknown but the opinion from the shop is it is a rather low miles engine. Everything was in great condition except the exhaust valves in the rear cylinder, apparently water got in after the engine was pulled and it sat and those valves got pitted. Replaced them and everything is good. 0% leakdown and psi is the same in both cylinders now.

I've been driving a lovely car for the past month but the bike rides and feel better than what I remember before.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Revvik posted:

It is pretty awful that they aren't stocking parts for like, probably the most common bike in America though.

This. I'd understand if it was a buell specific part, but it's on like most of the bikes on the road today.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Freedom isn't free, man. :911:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I just finished my BRC through Illinois, and passed! I'm incredibly excited about it and have to tell the internet. They had me riding the TW200 and now, even though I had my heart set on an old CB, I'm pricing out DRZ400s in my area.

Edit: I'm leaving my childish excitement up here because even though I'm 27, all I could think about on range days was being nine years old and playing with my dad's old Evel Knievel toys in the driveway. Waiting for the cert to get mailed to me is going to be the hardest part of all of this.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 13, 2016

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Yayy!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Congrats! You are in for a world of fun! What sort of bike do you intend to get? (Just get a supermoto)

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm looking at standards to start with, nothing over 50-60hp until I get my confidence up. I've got some time before I actually make a buy (my bonus corresponds with the beginning of the end of riding season, which is when I'll start actually shopping around), but I'm looking mainly at twins and singles rather than 4-cylinders.

Dual sports were another option on the table after actually getting to ride one.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Professor Bling posted:

I'm looking at standards to start with, nothing over 50-60hp until I get my confidence up. I've got some time before I actually make a buy (my bonus corresponds with the beginning of the end of riding season, which is when I'll start actually shopping around), but I'm looking mainly at twins and singles rather than 4-cylinders.

Dual sports were another option on the table after actually getting to ride one.

I love my Yamaha WR250R and would heartily recommend it as a first bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Day Man posted:

I love my Yamaha WR250R and would heartily recommend it as a first bike.

Same, but of course about my WR250X (see also: Get A SuperMoto). If you need to do muddy offroad or just lots of offroad, then get the R, but for anything else the X works fine (and is super rad).

The WR is going to forgive a lot of your newbie mistakes, doesn't care much about being dumped, will seem blisteringly fast ( even as an experienced rider), sound great, and be stone cold reliable. Really, had I gotten a WR as my first bike, I would have saved so much money and pain.

Alternatively: Get A Ninja 250.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My Tuono has been jumping between correct speed and like 90-186mph, though the odometer is correctly still seeing ~115mi to the reserve light. I tried replacing the speed sensor ($15 used) and still have the same issue. I think it's the cluster.
This is how I end up with a v4 Tuono or Superduke.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

My 690smc wigged out the other day and told me I was doing 950km/h. Only mildly related but I wanted to share.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Alaska update:

Anchorage to Tok yesterday was good. Less sunny but not super cold. Ate at Fast Eddie's again, dinner and breakfast. Only place in town. Watched the end of the Stanley Cup Finals over beers at the bar, then bed early.

Today into Whitehorse was goddamn miserable.

First the long rear end construction zones, this time muddy and slimy, a total bitch to get through. RV drivers are the worst. They pass you like an idiot doing double the speed limit in the mud, then slow to a crawl over the bumpy paved road. I wish they'd get with the loving program.

Then as soon as we cleared the bad roads, it started raining and got down to like 40F.

My jacket isn't made for that, it's a rainy day in the woods riding jacket, not a interstate speed in driving rain riding jacket.

My Tourmaster WP gloves failed horribly and my hands turned to raisin. My grips burned my palms. My boots seeped.

As soon as we got into town, the rain quit. Nice.

I hope the Cassair is less wet. 3 days from home now.

We got a crappy motel in Whitehorse, but I'm just glad to get a hot shower.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

My 690smc wigged out the other day and told me I was doing 950km/h. Only mildly related but I wanted to share.

Nah, that's loving badass.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Yeah that sounds like your timeline is slipping, check your relativistic converter.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Should I buy a Ducati Monster?

This is making me REEEEEEEEEEALY want one again...

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
That's one slick looking bike. Also loud looking. And uncomfortable looking.

But that's one slick looking bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's a modern café racer. Loud, uncomfortable and impractical, but unlike the CB café racer it actually looks pretty good.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Holy hell - that second day sounds rough as all get up. Glad you made it through. Good luck getting some sort of water barrier worked out for the coming days. Or else hopefully the rain will back off a bit.

Keep the updates coming, and good luck.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Haven't had much time to post in the last few weeks. Been riding a lot, and (without much commuting) ~1200 miles on the Kawai 300 in 7 weeks. Went from being terrified from its 37 raw gay horsepower to fanging it to redline everywhere in full tuck, haha. I found my own personal bike Valhalla, which is a super curvy couple of miles of road near a local airforce base. There are very few fun roads here in SE Mighigan, but this is one of them. No houses or other bullshit, just a really fast sweeping road that I reenact Top Guns Highway to the Dangerzone on whenever I feel like it.

There is a sign next to the road at one of the fastest sweepers, a yellow diamond that says "low flying (picture of jet fighter plane)"

I AM THE loving JET, ITS ME

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 14, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
trackdayz, son, get at it
join us in the festival of burning money on sundays

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

makka-setan posted:

And uncomfortable looking.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I was surprised how comfortable mine is. Didn't make my hip joints scream in agony like the Thruxton did.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

trackdayz, son, get at it
join us in the festival of burning money on sundays

Yeah, I am seriously considering it. I may or may not be budgeting money for a pickup truck and a track bike, lol. But it probably isnt happening this season, need to save some cash first.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Should I buy a Ducati Monster?

This is making me REEEEEEEEEEALY want one again...

Most of it is okay but what possible loving justification is there for taking the covers off the timing belts?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PaintVagrant posted:

Haven't had much time to post in the last few weeks. Been riding a lot, and (without much commuting) ~1200 miles on the Kawai 300 in 7 weeks. Went from being terrified from its 37 raw gay horsepower to fanging it to redline everywhere in full tuck, haha. I found my own personal bike Valhalla, which is a super curvy couple of miles of road near a local airforce base. There are very few fun roads here in SE Mighigan, but this is one of them. No houses or other bullshit, just a really fast sweeping road that I reenact Top Guns Highway to the Dangerzone on whenever I feel like it.

There is a sign next to the road at one of the fastest sweepers, a yellow diamond that says "low flying (picture of jet fighter plane)"

I AM THE loving JET, ITS ME

Just be careful. Statistically, accident rates (per-mile) actually rise for the first few thousand miles of riding, specifically because of this burst of confidence you get as you get comfortable with the bike. Your skills are still new, and your cornering and braking and reaction times (probably) aren't up to a level that's totally safe with the more aggressive riding you're now doing. So you can get yourself into trouble that you can't get out of as easily. The accident rate starts to drop again after you've got about 5,000 miles in the saddle.

Speaking from personal experience at this stage: don't start to outride your sightlines, i.e. riding so fast that you can't stop safely in the amount of road you have in sight. And make sure you're developing the habit of pushing harder on the bars to turn tighter, not hitting the brakes.

But yeah, it really is a loving blast, isn't it? :)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most of it is okay but what possible loving justification is there for taking the covers off the timing belts?

saves weight brah

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sagebrush posted:

saves weight brah

That's some aftermarket plexiglass cutout cover, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Just be careful. Statistically, accident rates (per-mile) actually rise for the first few thousand miles of riding, specifically because of this burst of confidence you get as you get comfortable with the bike. Your skills are still new, and your cornering and braking and reaction times (probably) aren't up to a level that's totally safe with the more aggressive riding you're now doing. So you can get yourself into trouble that you can't get out of as easily. The accident rate starts to drop again after you've got about 5,000 miles in the saddle.

Speaking from personal experience at this stage: don't start to outride your sightlines, i.e. riding so fast that you can't stop safely in the amount of road you have in sight. And make sure you're developing the habit of pushing harder on the bars to turn tighter, not hitting the brakes.

But yeah, it really is a loving blast, isn't it? :)

Yeah I could absolutely see that (overconfidence thing). I am balancing my newfound "skill" with rational thought as much as possible, and trying to be realistic about where my limit is. Mostly I am just pumped about being able to get the bike leaned over and learning better throttle control through corners. Its all starting to click, but I cant suddenly think i am Rossi and turn myself into a splat mark somewhere.

And yes, it is REALLY fun.