Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
But was that because the original song was still popular? Or because a new popular band was singing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ponsonby Britt posted:

But was that because the original song was still popular? Or because a new popular band was singing it?

The answer is Paul is alive and the other three are dead.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The dead one is in the grave behind them, the other four are alive. Robin's hand is obscuring the fifth band member on the album cover, since otherwise there'd be an empty space on the right, and the reader is just assuming the band is a quartet like the Beatles.

If that's actually it I want a prize or something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It really is

Random Stranger posted:

The answer is Paul is alive and the other three are dead.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You can even see a little bit of a brown coat in the corner of the album.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twist_(song)

Chubby Checker 1959. He's still out there twistin' to this day too!

I wasn't trying to imply the Beatles invented it or anything, just that if the most popular band in the world was singing about it in 1963, it probably was still a popular dance a year earlier.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Don't forget Green Goblin Jr.'s plot to repopularize it in 2007.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbwStWHtzY&t=6s

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Zaodai posted:

You can actually see a page of Cool Cat trying to teach you hip lingo here.

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an old folk.

...Huh. Kinda sorta still works?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an old folk.

How you do you do, fellow hipsters?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Man the people in the front seat of that short look like they are having a miserable time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A carburetor seems like a very niche thing to have a hipster slang word for

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bony tony posted:

In the 50s and 60s there was a whole tuner subculture around hot rods as cars became cheaper.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bony tony posted:

Pot is slang for cylinder, and even then its usually used solely to refer to 4 cyl engines.
e.g.:A Four pot engine

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zaodai posted:

And appropriately The Twist was released in early '62 (and hit #1 again) so it was still fairly relevant. You can actually see a page of Cool Cat trying to teach you hip lingo here.

Who needs hip slang for a carburetor??

e:

bony tony posted:

:hai:

O no, I'm a cob.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 17, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Pot is slang for cylinder, and even then its usually used solely to refer to 4 cyl engines.
e.g.:A Four pot engine

But how do you smoke it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's canon that Clark Kent has a squeaky voice.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Samuringa posted:

But how do you smoke it?

Run it too rich.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Follow-up Superman-Used-To-Have-Dumb-Random-Powers panel

Super Hypnosis!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

bill's analysis of clark kent as superman's critique of the human race has a lot of textual evidence tbh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Senju Kannon posted:

bill's analysis of clark kent as superman's critique of the human race has a lot of textual evidence tbh

Could you link that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

Could you link that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWTJIBGNId0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's a bad analysis of Modern Superman but it seems pretty spot-on for Gold/Silver Age Supes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TwoPair posted:

Yeah that's a bad analysis of Modern Superman but it seems pretty spot-on for Gold/Silver Age Supes
It's essentially lifted verbatim from Jules Feiffer's essay on Superman in his 1965 book "The Great Comic Book Heroes"

So yeah, very gold/silver age.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is not often a man is saved by his dick, I must admit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

evilmiera posted:

It is not often a man is saved by his dick, I must admit.

Speak for yourself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Ultimately it doesn't matter if it's spot on or not. Bill's a psychopath so I don't think you're supposed to take his interpretation at face value.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean as part of that speech he says that Superman's the only one that applies to and it doesn't apply to Batman, whereas it's pretty obviously always applied to Batman and in modern times definitely applies to Batman way more.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Ultimately it doesn't matter if it's spot on or not. Bill's a psychopath so I don't think you're supposed to take his interpretation at face value.

If anything it is supposed to speak more about Bill's character than anything else, in that he literally can not comprehend someone with great power hiding it and only using it for altruism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hardcore Superman fans were angry about this scene for like a decade.

MikeJF posted:

I mean as part of that speech he says that Superman's the only one that applies to and it doesn't apply to Batman, whereas it's pretty obviously always applied to Batman and in modern times definitely applies to Batman way more.

Batman's attitude as Bruce Wayne is way more obviously a critique of the idle rich than it is of humanity as a whole. This is basic, ya dingus.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

If anything it is supposed to speak more about Bill's character than anything else, in that he literally can not comprehend someone with great power hiding it and only using it for altruism.

It's also completely irrelevant which comic character he talks about because he's really talking about the Bride.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unlucky7 posted:

See also: Lex Luthor ranting about Superman to Clark Kent during his prison interview.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Unlucky7 posted:

In theory that's what we should think. And in nearly any other work of fiction I would say "the villain doesn't get it."

But this was written by Quinten Tarantino. And if there's anybody Edge-lord enough to say that and think that he's saying some universal truth in his film, it's that guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

See what I mean.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

In theory that's what we should think. And in nearly any other work of fiction I would say "the villain doesn't get it."

But this was written by Quinten Tarantino. And if there's anybody Edge-lord enough to say that and think that he's saying some universal truth in his film, it's that guy.

The whole scene is Bill ranting about superheroes and the Bride clearly only tolerates it because he has her at gunpoint. I really don't see how Bill is portrayed as being right. And even if he is, so what? It's not important if Tarantino is right or wrong about Superman because that's not the point of the scene.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Hardcore Superman fans were angry about this scene for like a decade.

Too many stories and fans of Superman are insecure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Too many stories and fans of Superman are insecure.

Yeah, surpassed only by stories and fans of Cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Fans? Of Cyclops? Where?