Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just watched Valerian on Prime yesterday. It was like they told every actor involved to be bad, then gave them a bottle of Xanax. Except for Clive Owen, he was fun to watch.

E:Clive Owen does have basically a lifetime pass from me after Children of Men, though.

At some point people are going to realize that even though Cara Delevingne is insanely gorgeous, she cannot act, and to stop casting her in major roles. And Dean Dahaan, who is a decent actor, was woefully miscast.

I've seen a ton of bad movies on home video, tv, cable netflix and whatever, but I didn't want to count them because its not the same as going to the theater and paying to see crap. Like I've seen both Starcrash and People Time Forgot before they were on the netflix mst3k.

AotC isn't so bad when its focusing on Obi-Wans story, but basically everything else is just painful. I do really enjoy the big battle at the end, even though it looks more like a video game cutscene than a movie, as I just love seeing massive battles on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's just occurred to me that I actually saw both Catwoman and Elektra on aeroplane journeys.

Imagine dying in a plane crash and that's the last thing you ever watched.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
And on the subject of comic book movies I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world who didn't like the Guillermo del Toro Hellboy movies at all. Some solid casting choices but awful, awful scripts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This forum must cause brain damage to explain some of these choices.

I wish a comic book movie could be the worst I've ever paid for.

Also the worst non-prequel Star Wars movie is Return of the Jedi.

Kai Tave posted:

And on the subject of comic book movies I sometimes feel like I'm the only person in the world who didn't like the Guillermo del Toro Hellboy movies at all. Some solid casting choices but awful, awful scripts.

I'm pretty sure Mike Mignola didn't like them either.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 15, 2018

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

This forum must cause brain damage to explain some of these choices.

I'm pretty sure Mike Mignola didn't like them either.

Hey at least nobody said Wonder Woman or Ghostbusters yet. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's just occurred to me that I actually saw both Catwoman and Elektra on aeroplane journeys.

I remember I always used to see Elektra and Daredevil bundled together with a third movie in those cheap three movie dvd sets but I cannot for the life of me remember what the third one would've been.

I bought those two in a 3 pack with Fantastic Four 2 as the third film.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I bought those two in a 3 pack with Fantastic Four 2 as the third film.

Jeeeesus. I think that pack may legally be a war crime.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jeeeesus. I think that pack may legally be a war crime.

Now, now. It can't be a war crime because he was warned in advance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it probably would have been something like that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Even at its worst, Aotc has Ewan Mcgregor and sweet lightsaber fighting. Plus, taken as part of the whole PT trilogy I don't find it half bad. The worst parts of it is the Anakin - Padme romance, but I think the awkwardness is very much intentional, so I tend to give it a pass. For me it's very much in the "interesting ideas, not so good execution" category.

Plus, Christopher Lee is in it, so that automatically raises it at least 2 notches

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's not really a whole lot of lightsaber fighting (in terms of characters having a duel) in AOTC compared with the other two.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 15, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Koalas March posted:

People indulging their loved ones terrible taste is the purist form of love honestly.

I’m not sure, it seemed more akin to buying an alcoholic a 6-pack. My dad has the worst taste in movies :cripes:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I love all things doom but have never seen the movie so I'm gonna do that today

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's not really a whole lot of lightsaber fighting (in terms of characters having a duel) in AOTC compared with the other two.

But there's a lot more saber fighting compared to any other non-star wars movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I love all things doom but have never seen the movie so I'm gonna do that today

Strap in and give us your take when you finish it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud posted:

But there's a lot more saber fighting compared to any other non-star wars movie

Nevertheless, I think what it had was a bit underwhelming. As I recall, most of Anakin going one-on-one with Dooku is close-ups of them in shadow waving their weapons around and I remember Yoda fighting Dooku being the coolest thing ever when I was 11 but I've not really been as impressed by it whenever I've gone back to it. :shrug:

Regardless, all of the Star Wars have this baseline level of enjoyability for me that they haven't dipped below yet, although I'm expecting Solo to do so. :v:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Regardless, all of the Star Wars have this baseline level of enjoyability for me that they haven't dipped below yet, although I'm expecting Solo to do so. :v:

For me, the bottom was hit with TFA. It has nowhere to go but up from there.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nevertheless, I think what it had was a bit underwhelming. As I recall, most of Anakin going one-on-one with Dooku is close-ups of them in shadow waving their weapons around and I remember Yoda fighting Dooku being the coolest thing ever when I was 11 but I've not really been as impressed by it whenever I've gone back to it. :shrug:

I enjoyed the five seconds of Anakin duel-wielding lightsabers when I first saw the movie as a teenager

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The prequels suck but have nice visuals. TFA is garbage and TLK is incredibly flawed. But hey, Star Wars is back.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't think any movie has frustrated me as much as Bicentennial Man. Something about that brand of Gump-like fawning drama is just unbearable to me, and Bicentennial Man turns that dial all the way up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TPM came out when I was seven and I was 14 when I saw ROTS so I was in the audience that Lucas used to say he was making the movies for. They have a lot of fond memories for me and TPM is still the movie I've been the most hyped for ever.

I'd say I went through a phase of really not liking them but I've come back round to softening on them. As for the sequels and spin-offs, they have their own flaws but the truth is that so far the flaws haven't tended to bother me very much. :shrug:

Like I said, I'm expecting Solo to be pretty bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rogue One was outstanding, easily the 4th best SW film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I saw Bicentennial Man in theaters when I was a kid and it really messed with my head. I had nightmares for weeks about just accepting death (because of that last scene in particular) and the bizarre juxtaposition between that and Robin Williams hamming it up has always stuck with me. I’ve yet to rewatch it as an adult.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

At some point people are going to realize that even though Cara Delevingne is insanely gorgeous, she cannot act, and to stop casting her in major roles. And Dean Dahaan, who is a decent actor, was woefully miscast.

"I will cast two deeply unlikable actors with no chemistry as our quippy, will-they-won't-they protagonists" seems like the most French thing Luc Besson has ever done in a long career of being very, very French.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

"I will cast two deeply unlikable actors with no chemistry as our quippy, will-they-won't-they protagonists" seems like the most French thing Luc Besson has ever done in a long career of being very, very French.

Cara Delevingne wasn’t even trying to act. She kind of just read her lines as flatly as possible and cashed her checks. It was painful.

Somehow I ended up watching the whole two hour movie.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I watched up through the Rihanna burlesque scene because she's great and i knew it was coming and it was free, but i think I'll quit now.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Somehow I once had a few hours to kill when traveling in Hong Kong and ended up seeing Switch, which managed to be boring, baffling, and uncomfortably Chinese-nationalistic. One of the worst movies I paid money to watch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I watched up through the Rihanna burlesque scene because she's great and i knew it was coming and it was free, but i think I'll quit now.

That and the opening are the only parts of Valerian worth watching.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'd blocked Valerian from my memory but holy poo poo yeah, that movie was excruciating for so many reasons. Also, I feel like I've stumbled into opposite world, where people hate TFA and TLJ but love Rogue One, a movie about nothing in which the least interesting character is the protagonist and makes no decisions about anything, instead preferring to be dragged about by the needs of the script to reach a conclusion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That and the opening are the only parts of Valerian worth watching.

Only for neat alien designs. I liked how they ask the ships computer for an info dump on the station.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I used to be a film reviewer at various small indie weeklies and got to see the movies for free, ahead of time in a special little theatre for journalists. The only one I've walked out on, and probably the worst I've seen in a "theatre" was Jerry Springer Ringmaster.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I saw Bicentennial Man in theaters when I was a kid and it really messed with my head. I had nightmares for weeks about just accepting death (because of that last scene in particular) and the bizarre juxtaposition between that and Robin Williams hamming it up has always stuck with me. I’ve yet to rewatch it as an adult.
Hell same, also seeing someone like Sam Neill who all I knew was from Jurassic Park as Dr. Grant dying of old age really hosed me up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:cheers: :420:

How is karl urbans character not code named Romero, this is awful

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hah, just caught the end of Dark of the Moon on the telly, it never fails to crack me up

*Guy saves your rear end, proposes a truce - MURDER THE gently caress OUTTA HIM YEAAAAAAAAAAH*

*Defeated opponent broken and half dead, crawling on the ground saying how everything he did was for the good of their homeworld - MURDER THE gently caress OUTTA HIM TOO YEAAAAAAAAAH*

I mean, it's magnificent, it truly is. "You are the one who told me that freedom is everyone's right" says the nice robot man before ripping out someone's spine and shooting someone else in the face. No wonder Shia LaBeouff had a loving psychotic break and ran from mainstream cinema like the goddamn plague afterwards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it's not like he actually saw any of that happen.

To him one tennis ball on a stick moved closed to another tennis ball on a stick.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Which is worse: Catwoman, Elektra, Supergirl, or Red Sonja?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^^well it ain't Red Sonja!

I'm probably being ignorantly naive but I think the Solo trailers look pretty good, like I'm kinda excited to see it. I mean the guy playing Han doesn't look, act, or sound right at all but I'm going to do my best to ignore that....

Worst movie I can remember seeing in the theater (maybe, I think) would be Karla. I don't ever walk out but man I really considered it that time. It did have one hilariously bad scene but otherwise nothing entertaining about it, good, bad, or otherwise.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 16, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Shaking my head. Did nonenof you watch thr book of henry?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If we're going over which were the worst Movie Theater experiences, I watched Chappie and AoU on the same day. It was not a happy day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm probably being ignorantly naive but I think the Solo trailers look pretty good, like I'm kinda excited to see it. I mean the guy playing Han doesn't look, act, or sound right at all but I'm going to do my best to ignore that....

He was great in Hail Caesar! so I'm actually looking forward to seeing how he does in Solo. If it wasn't for the drama with changing directors mid-filming I'd be pretty hyped about the movie as a whole, even then I'm still cautiously optimistic from the latest trailer (I also enjoyed FA, LJ, and RO to varying degrees though so I'm not too hard to please I guess)

• Locked thread