Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
they are (or were) standard in elementary schools iirc, so every public restroom has to have one. which, yes, is obnoxious in the case of one-toilet restrooms in the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

when it's loving sleeting, YES. YES WE DO. CLOSE THE GODDAMN WINDOWS.

A little sleet is good for you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I posit that not making GBS threads in a hole in the ground is the definition of civilization.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Since we've gone all body fluids I am reminded of reading at least twice in different books that both the French and Russian armies foraged the land not only for eating but for improvised toilets. Guess what ditches were used for! god help any poor bastard who tripped and fell into those things.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Those things used to be everywhere in the USSR and, growing up, I still had the indignity of meeting them in the odd public bathroom or school. It's basically the reason why I became so adept at not pooping at school.

You don't see them in big cities anymore, but they had them when I went to Taganrog. Also they were full of huge spiders.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ensign Expendable posted:

You don't see them in big cities anymore, but they had them when I went to Taganrog. Also they were full of huge spiders.

Toilet Full of Huge Spiders would be a decent album title, if not band name

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

Since my interest in conflicts seems to always rise when I play a game based on the conflicts, I'm interested in finding out more about the French-Algerian War. Any good books on it? Also, can anyone comment on David Galula, his writings and, specifically, how widespread was the use of his book post-Algeria and if any counter-insurgent entity extensively made use of them (I think the Pentagon did read up on the book during Afghanistan/Iraq, but I'm interested to see if it was applied anywhere else).

IIRC Galula's work was picked up by the US military at the end of the Vietnam war (particularly after the failures of Westy and the "big unit war"), then discarded with COIN becoming a dirty word following the failure in Vietnam and the emphasis shift to conventional war in Europe by the US military. COIN was only picked up again by the US military after some time in Iraq - the opening years in Iraq and Afghanistan were about as far away from COIN as it was possible to get.

It should also be pointed out that despite some officers in the US military taking on board COIN and Galula's ideas, they never fully took hold. There are still issues to this day with overreliance on firepower from airpower and artillery and segregation of occupying troops from the general population, both things Galula identified as being counterproductive.

A good example of Galula's idea in practice and being relatively successful would be the Salvadoran civil war, where the government from the beginning emphasised removing villages to prevent guerrillas from moving and recruiting and use of death squads over large military engagements. The US for their part supported the Salvadoran government with aid a a small number of advisors rather than a big military presence. Here is some of the charming advice the US advisors gave to the government of El Salvador on defeating the insurgents:

quote:

Meanwhile, U.S. advisers were apparently sending a different message to the Salvadoran military - "do what you need to do to stop the commies, just don't get caught".[123] A former U.S. intelligence officer suggested the death squads needed to leave less visual evidence, that they should stop dumping bodies on the side of the road because "they have an ocean and they ought to use it".[124]

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 22nd Nov 1917 posted:

A Company (Lieut. Seton Karr), relieved B Company, (Capt. Evans Jackson M.C.) and D Company, (Capt. Stavert) relieved C Company, (Capt. Norris) in the front line; Right and Left Sectors respectively. Commencing midnight, the reliefs were complete by 3-30 a.m.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MikeCrotch posted:

Here is some of the charming advice the US advisors gave to the government of El Salvador on defeating the insurgents:

They protected the poo poo outta those freedoms!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

You know what's worse than a poop shelf?

Goddamn Japanese "traditional" toilets, which combine all the comfort of crouching to poo poo in the great outdoors and all the dignity of the poop shelf.

Those things used to be everywhere in the USSR and, growing up, I still had the indignity of meeting them in the odd public bathroom or school. It's basically the reason why I became so adept at not pooping at school.

And then I went to Japan, the land of toilets that had more computing power than NASA on the Apollo-11 mission... and found those traditional loos around.

You know what's easy to do on a crouch toilet and not on a regular one? To poop and miss. Boy, is that a fun gift to find!

gently caress this "but it's healthy for my butt muscles" nonsense, give me a regular porcelain throne.

I remember reading in some German science magazine that squatting is indeed a lot healthier for our posterior then the normal "sitting" toilets, which can give you hemorrhoids. Since then, I've realized many toilets in Germany are actually a lot lower then you would expect them to be, forcing you to squat a bit when sitting down on them. As if some German engineers read the same article. Coincidence or confirmation bias? You decide!

Ensign Expendable posted:

A little sleet is good for you

Besides, my cat would rip my throat out if I didn't regularly open my window so she can then not go outside because feeling the wind makes her realize she doesn't actually like the cold. :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cats are magic :allears:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

when it's loving sleeting, YES. YES WE DO. CLOSE THE GODDAMN WINDOWS.

Triggered by defenestrations much? :smug:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
The German bad air thing sounds like a continuation of the miasmatic theory of disease, which would be insanely cool if true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean damp will cause mould so maybe it's also that German housing has bad ventilation otherwise? I've been in a few crappy bedsits that grow mould from condensation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tias posted:

Toilet Full of Huge Spiders would be a decent album title, if not band name

I figure gigantic toilet spiders would be selectively adapted either A) away from ascending the toilet because the ones who did got squashed, or

B) towards it because it harvests protein for the colony.

Not a lot of middle ground.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Libluini posted:

Besides, my cat would rip my throat out if I didn't regularly open my window so she can then not go outside because feeling the wind makes her realize she doesn't actually like the cold. :v:

My plan of opening the door for my cats when it rains so they will associate going outside with sorrow and horror has mildly backfired, because now they will yell at me when it's raining that they want me to open the door so they can sit inside and ponder all the smells.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What other kind of ventilation is there? It is assumed that you will open the window for ~five minutes ~two or three times a day, once after waking up plus whenever you do something causing humidity, like cooking or showering. There is a shitload of case law because ofc renters and landlords clash about this a lot.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

still fields a city-based force of crossbowmen

:stare:

quote:

The Crossbow Corps
Although once at the heart of San Marino's army, the Crossbow Corps is now an entirely ceremonial force of

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

I mean damp will cause mould so maybe it's also that German housing has bad ventilation otherwise? I've been in a few crappy bedsits that grow mould from condensation.
five loving minutes will not make a difference, germans

aphid_licker posted:

What other kind of ventilation is there?
vents!

quote:

humidity
See, the reason i KNOW this is psychological is that different germans give me different explanations for this. is it humidity or smells? my theory is rodrigo diaz's theory--subconsciously, "close," "warm" or "humid" air is bad because spooky miasma reasons.

The other reason I know this is psychological is I live in a hostel. I have been in a room where several different people enter and leave in succession, and each one of them opens the window when they get there. If the air were really "bad" without opening the window, couldn't everyone after the first person be able to tell?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

What other kind of ventilation is there? It is assumed that you will open the window for ~five minutes ~two or three times a day, once after waking up plus whenever you do something causing humidity, like cooking or showering. There is a shitload of case law because ofc renters and landlords clash about this a lot.

I mean ideally your place of residence should be big enough that you aren't confined to a cupboard to do all your sleeping and cooking in and opening windows isn't particularly necessary in even a few roomed domicile, but it becomes a problem with people cubes.

Though personally I also leave the window open all winter because I find it's just too warm otherwise.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

IIRC Galula's work was picked up by the US military at the end of the Vietnam war (particularly after the failures of Westy and the "big unit war"), then discarded with COIN becoming a dirty word following the failure in Vietnam and the emphasis shift to conventional war in Europe by the US military. COIN was only picked up again by the US military after some time in Iraq - the opening years in Iraq and Afghanistan were about as far away from COIN as it was possible to get.

It should also be pointed out that despite some officers in the US military taking on board COIN and Galula's ideas, they never fully took hold. There are still issues to this day with overreliance on firepower from airpower and artillery and segregation of occupying troops from the general population, both things Galula identified as being counterproductive.

A good example of Galula's idea in practice and being relatively successful would be the Salvadoran civil war, where the government from the beginning emphasised removing villages to prevent guerrillas from moving and recruiting and use of death squads over large military engagements. The US for their part supported the Salvadoran government with aid a a small number of advisors rather than a big military presence. Here is some of the charming advice the US advisors gave to the government of El Salvador on defeating the insurgents:

Oh sure, now they're opposed to leaving the bodies around, but when you're in the Philippines it's the exact opposite. You leave the exsanguinated corpses on well-trod jungle paths to convince the rebels they're being hunted by vampires.

'Aswang' and counter-insurgency? posted:

“A combat psywar squad was brought in. It planted stories among town residents of an aswang living on the hill where the Huks were based. Two nights later, after giving the stories time to circulate among Huk sympathizers in the town and make their way up to the hill camp, the psywar squad set up an ambush along a trail used by the Huks. When the Huk patrol came along the trail, the ambushers silently snatched the last man of the patrol, their move unseen in the dark night. They punctured his neck with two holes, vampire-fashion, held the body up by the heels, drained it of blood, and put the corpse back on the trail. When the Huks returned to look for the missing man and found their bloodless comrade, every member of the patrol believed that the aswang had got him and that one of them would be next if they remained on that hill. When daytime came, the whole Huk squadron moved out of the vicinity. Another day passed before the local people were convinced that they were really gone. Then Magsaysay moved the troops who were guarding the town into a BCT.”

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You should tailor your war crimes according to the culture you're fighting, duh. That's like, Tyranny 101.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Again, there's an official guide from the federal environmental agency

https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/themen/gesundheit/umwelteinfluesse-auf-den-menschen/schimmel/richtig-lueften-schimmelbildung-vermeiden

and shitloads of case law

http://www.schimmel-anwalt.de/lueftungsverhalten-uebersicht-zur-rechtsprechung-der-gerichte/

It's def what the Experten expect you to do in the context of how German residential housing is constructed and your landlord is going to sue you to poo poo if you don't.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/themen/gesundheit/umwelteinfluesse-auf-den-menschen/schimmel/richtig-lueften-schimmelbildung-vermeiden

http://www.schimmel-anwalt.de/lueftungsverhalten-uebersicht-zur-rechtsprechung-der-gerichte/

It's def what the Experten expect you to do in the context of how German residential housing is constructed.

I thought this was a response to the previous COIN post so I really confused as to why the German federal environmental agency was so involved in COIN ops.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

It's def what the Experten expect you to do in the context of how German residential housing is constructed and your landlord is going to sue you to poo poo if you don't.
will it blow your mind if i tell you that in literally every other country i have ever been to, people only open the windows when they want to

when i was a child, my father used to tape heavy sheets of plastic over all the windows in the fall and unseal them in the spring, to save money on heating

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

HEY GUNS posted:

The other reason I know this is psychological is I live in a hostel. I have been in a room where several different people enter and leave in succession, and each one of them opens the window when they get there. If the air were really "bad" without opening the window, couldn't everyone after the first person be able to tell?

Ha ha ha, the way I read this is you're in the room when they come in.

How do I put this??????

It's you. You Stink.

Nucken Futz fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 23, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

five loving minutes will not make a difference, germans

vents!

See, the reason i KNOW this is psychological is that different germans give me different explanations for this. is it humidity or smells? my theory is rodrigo diaz's theory--subconsciously, "close," "warm" or "humid" air is bad because spooky miasma reasons.

Er, no. It's pretty basic science, CO2 will displace O2 in a room without automatic ventilation if you breathe in it enough, but we're not naturally disposed to smell either. Now, there will always be ventilation enough for you not to choke, but high CO2 content will mean bad sleep, headaches and fatigue. My brother built a meter to test it, once.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You should tailor your war crimes according to the culture you're fighting, duh. That's like, Tyranny 101.

My father was an American "advisor" and yeah, they totally trained to play psyops on the people they were leading the revolution against. Ofc by the time he got to Vietnam (1970-ish), they were doing more Rangering than their stated job description.

The few things his (long-dead, I met him once when I was a toddler, I'm told) older brother who was a MAJ in SF hinted at being involved in in SE Asia in the '60s ... my uncle probably did a war crime or six.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Er, no. It's pretty basic science, CO2 will displace O2 in a room without automatic ventilation if you breathe in it enough, but we're not naturally disposed to smell either. Now, there will always be ventilation enough for you not to choke, but high CO2 content will mean bad sleep, headaches and fatigue. My brother built a meter to test it, once.

My old apartment had a gas burner heater with open ventilation, which means it sucked out O2 out of my room whenever I used that thing. The first Winter, I had a lot of trouble sleeping and always woke up with terrible headaches. Until I just started to leave the window open 100% of the time, even if it would freeze everything in my bathroom.

Now in my new and even tinier apartment, I have a sealed gas burner heater! Much improvement, as long as I switch the flame off when I open the window, since the exhaust pipe ends directly under it! :shepface:

Back before I got my cat, strays would sometimes in Winter come and lay themselves below the pipe opening, to warm up I guess. Nowadays my cat has scared them all off, even though she never uses that place.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My plan of opening the door for my cats when it rains so they will associate going outside with sorrow and horror has mildly backfired, because now they will yell at me when it's raining that they want me to open the door so they can sit inside and ponder all the smells.

And the downsides are...?

Meanwhile in Britain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taZtM2RGeHE

Libluini posted:

My old apartment had a gas burner heater with open ventilation, which means it sucked out O2 out of my room whenever I used that thing. The first Winter, I had a lot of trouble sleeping and always woke up with terrible headaches. Until I just started to leave the window open 100% of the time, even if it would freeze everything in my bathroom.

Now in my new and even tinier apartment, I have a sealed gas burner heater! Much improvement, as long as I switch the flame off when I open the window, since the exhaust pipe ends directly under it! :shepface:

So how's life in 1930's Soviet Russia?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It's weird, I sleep fine without turning my house into a wind tunnel.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

It's weird, I sleep fine without turning my house into a wind tunnel.

Because you live in a non lovely house that can ventilate itself?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tias posted:

Because you live in a non lovely house that can ventilate itself?

I live in early 20th century factory accommodation lol.

E: technically the drafts are ventilation. Objection withdrawn.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

will it blow your mind if i tell you that in literally every other country i have ever been to, people only open the windows when they want to

when i was a child, my father used to tape heavy sheets of plastic over all the windows in the fall and unseal them in the spring, to save money on heating

I have no insight whatsoever to offer on the physics / architectural / cultural roots of this but the reason Germans are in the habit of doing this is because their landlords insist on it and are backed in this by case law which is in turn backed by ze maßgebliche Experten ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Only brand new construction specifically built to be air tight won't have more than enough natural infiltration to meet normal human needs. If you get mold anywhere but the bathroom it has much more to do with the arrangement of insulation and vapor barrier in your walls than you breathing too much with the window closed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'll say that I've slept in tons of German buildings, ranging from modern homes to apartments subdivided out of 19th century buildings to nice hotels to shorty hostels. Out of all that all that sleeping, in every season and kind of weather, f I've never opened a window and never suffered from headaches or bad sleep.

This is ignoring all the sleeping I've done not in Germany in identical conditions.

Maybe I'm just some kind of Superman though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Used to sleep with an open skylight basically till October when I still lived with my parents. To be fair, my room was directly under the sheet metal (plus isolation and poo poo) roof, so it got reaaal hot in summer.

In winter, it's hot while the heating's on and cools right the gently caress down when its not.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll say that I've slept in tons of German buildings, ranging from modern homes to apartments subdivided out of 19th century buildings to nice hotels to shorty hostels. Out of all that all that sleeping, in every season and kind of weather, f I've never opened a window and never suffered from headaches or bad sleep.

This is ignoring all the sleeping I've done not in Germany in identical conditions.

Maybe I'm just some kind of Superman though.
it is LITERALLY germany's version of "fan death."

edit: why do you think we live in houses at all? It's because they're warmer than the outside when it's cold out.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 23, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HEY GUNS posted:

it is LITERALLY germany's version of "fan death."

edit: why do you think we live in houses at all? It's because they're warmer than the outside when it's cold out.

I thought it was so we did not get sleeted on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s because psywar vampires can’t get you in a house unless you invite them in