Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the solution is for sure not to totally remove it, it IS a neat concept. I dig the keyword idea too. Give it some level of 'you have to have SOME cohesion here if you want to load up' and it's already improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Making the warlord matter for strats seems like a reasonable fix. Outside of traits the warlord status only matters if its say abbadon that gives a bonus to being the warlord specifically. Otherwise you pick a dude an trait to maximize things.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Age of Sigmar allows you to take up to 20% of your points of any faction that shares a keyword with your main force as Allies, without disrupting your battle-forged status, but they don''t benefit from their own codex stuff or any abilities of the main ally force that don't explicitly target their shared keyword.

E.G. I have a Lord-Ordinator, a dude whose abilities target <ORDER> <WAR MACHINE> units. To get those in, I can ally in 400 points worth of poo poo like cannons and Steam Tanks to benefit from this. My main dudes don't lose their sweet relics or drop pod ability, but the stuff I've allied in doesn't get their own abilities and doesn't get to drop-pod in either. I've decided it's worth it because my Ordinator is the general and he's gonna explicitly sit with the cannons and let them benefit. My army has to be designed around him sitting there letting the cannons go nuts.

For all of AoS' many many many many faults, surely something simpler like that would work in some fashion. It doesn't stop Custodes Jetbikes being bolted on but a points limiter would help. At 2000 points you would barely fit in two Shield Captains on jetbikes, which seems like way less of a problem than what the impression I'm getting is.

Also I really wanna do 500 points of Blood Ravens Primaris in with my AdMech cos I think it'd be fun. :(

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

PierreTheMime posted:

Having done it for a few, no not really. Some of the extras are neat, but literally the moment the next codex comes out you’ll regret having shelled out the extra.

I've been buying warhammer poo poo for 13+ years now, and the only collectors edition I bought was the 6th edition rulebook. You know, the one that was replaced a year later. :shrug:

It's beautiful, so I don't fully regret buying it, I'm just annoyed that the one time I spent the extra cash to get the pretty one it happened have the shortest use.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

The Deleter posted:

Age of Sigmar allows you to take up to 20% of your points of any faction that shares a keyword with your main force as Allies, without disrupting your battle-forged status, but they don''t benefit from their own codex stuff or any abilities of the main ally force that don't explicitly target their shared keyword.

E.G. I have a Lord-Ordinator, a dude whose abilities target <ORDER> <WAR MACHINE> units. To get those in, I can ally in 400 points worth of poo poo like cannons and Steam Tanks to benefit from this. My main dudes don't lose their sweet relics or drop pod ability, but the stuff I've allied in doesn't get their own abilities and doesn't get to drop-pod in either. I've decided it's worth it because my Ordinator is the general and he's gonna explicitly sit with the cannons and let them benefit. My army has to be designed around him sitting there letting the cannons go nuts.

For all of AoS' many many many many faults, surely something simpler like that would work in some fashion. It doesn't stop Custodes Jetbikes being bolted on but a points limiter would help. At 2000 points you would barely fit in two Shield Captains on jetbikes, which seems like way less of a problem than what the impression I'm getting is.

Also I really wanna do 500 points of Blood Ravens Primaris in with my AdMech cos I think it'd be fun. :(

This seems fine. Heck old fantasy did a percentage system when it came to points an what catagory stuff fell into with some exceptions here and there. Worked very well till you ran into under costed units.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The other thing Age of Sigmar does to encourage single faction armies is to make the mechanical benefits for them extremely attractive. Clan Pestilens for the Skaven has enough special abilities tied to their faction that its a serious consideration whether you take them by themselves or as part of a larger Nurgle force.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Local Bugeater GT guy just got a max point win with Tyranids against the author of the Tyranids, oh yes

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

Local Bugeater GT guy just got a max point win with Tyranids against the author of the Tyranids, oh yes

Tim?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yep! Good friend of mine.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

Yep! Good friend of mine.

Run into him a few times at Game Shoppe Omaha, got to talk to him about the Bugeater doubles.
My buddy Travis and I are really looking forward to playing in 2 months! Tim's doing a great job putting it together.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Protip: always know where the tip of your brush is if you’re going to keep your brush in your hand while you pick up other stuff.

:negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Run into him a few times at Game Shoppe Omaha, got to talk to him about the Bugeater doubles.
My buddy Travis and I are really looking forward to playing in 2 months! Tim's doing a great job putting it together.

Oh poo poo, are you local? I judged the 40k side of the GT for the first few years, but I haven't played 40k in a while. Getting a little into Age of Sigmar lately though. Glad you'll make it this year! It's always an awesome time. I'll be there playing Warmachine and helping out where I can.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

For_Great_Justice posted:

Allies as a idea isn't bad. What I mean is this.

Codex space marines is elite stuff small in number.

Tyranids can make unbreakable swarms to say hold objectives.

The basic strengths an weakneses are there but combined they cover the other so well whats the down side. There is none. The lore is gone, the individuality is gone. Its an event list.

Chaos codex 4e allowed you some IG stuff if you took Iron Warriors an only so much. You had variance that made sense an stuff to work with lore wise.

Now its promoted mid maxing.

All games everywhere will end with min/maxing. This has been true for every edition and there's literally nothing you can do to remove it. For a clear-sighted developer the objective is to shape the game to encourage players to build optimal lists which look and play as intended, and reduce balance inequality so that a top list doesn't simply brute force its way through games in a way which is unenjoyable to play against.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Protip: always know where the tip of your brush is if you’re going to keep your brush in your hand while you pick up other stuff.

It’s ALWAYS when painting yellow or white, without fail.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Xenomrph posted:

Embrace it. Make it look like a full om scorch mark and pass it off as weathering.

Aww, no lovely novelty dice anywhere to be seen with the Necron release. :smith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Check out Chessex's Vortex Bright Green. They're absolutely going to be more legible and thematic than a flat D6 with paint apps and symbols instead of the 1s and 6s.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Groetgaffel posted:

Aww, no lovely novelty dice anywhere to be seen with the Necron release. :smith:

It's ok. The best novelty dice ever made came out with the Nurgle release. Horribly unbalanced, hard to read, and feel bad to roll? Yup. Still the best? Hell yeah.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Corrode posted:

All games everywhere will end with min/maxing. This has been true for every edition and there's literally nothing you can do to remove it. For a clear-sighted developer the objective is to shape the game to encourage players to build optimal lists which look and play as intended, and reduce balance inequality so that a top list doesn't simply brute force its way through games in a way which is unenjoyable to play against.

Brute forcing wins is pretty much where we are. I never ever said min maxing wasn't a factor. I'd just like it to not be soup. We may as well not have seperate codexes if thats the route we're going on.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
The balance against just taking multiple different detachments from different Codexes is it’s harder to get a Battalion, and your characters aura abilities affect a smaller proportion of your army. You are making a trade off. You might argue the trade off is insufficient, but it’s definitely there.

GW are not going to place huge restrictions on allies. GW exist to sell models and a small allied Detachment is a gateway to a whole next 1500pt army.

Also don’t play pick up games. Make friends. Join a gaming club. Don’t live in some country where you have to drive 3 hours to get to a FLGS. Have you tried living in a smaller country? It really does help.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Milotic posted:

The balance against just taking multiple different detachments from different Codexes is it’s harder to get a Battalion, and your characters aura abilities affect a smaller proportion of your army. You are making a trade off. You might argue the trade off is insufficient, but it’s definitely there.

GW are not going to place huge restrictions on allies. GW exist to sell models and a small allied Detachment is a gateway to a whole next 1500pt army.

Also don’t play pick up games. Make friends. Join a gaming club. Don’t live in some country where you have to drive 3 hours to get to a FLGS. Have you tried living in a smaller country? It really does help.

A guard battalion is 180 points, and gives you 3cp, kurov/grand strategist, and 30 cheap bodies to screen with. I can't see a good reason not to take that in pretty much every imperium army ever. Even if all you do with them is deny deep strike and sit on an objective, they've made their points back nearly instantly in a marine army by giving you all those CP. This instantly negates a lot of the weaknesses of a marine army, namely lack of bodies and lack of CP to do fun things with.

If doing that let you pick up the screening bodies but not the CP and warlord/relic, or made you have to give up using marine strategems, it would be a much more interesting choice. You'd still be very able to have allies, but they wouldn't be an auto-take like they are now.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

moths posted:

Check out Chessex's Vortex Bright Green. They're absolutely going to be more legible and thematic than a flat D6 with paint apps and symbols instead of the 1s and 6s.
Oh I have pretty much all the d6s I'd ever need.
Pretty sure it's well over a hundred if I manage to get them all in one place.

I'm just a lover of plastic tat is all.

That said, I don't have any bright green dice, so I might get some of the suggested ones anyway.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

For_Great_Justice posted:

Allies as a idea isn't bad. What I mean is this.

Codex space marines is elite stuff small in number.

Tyranids can make unbreakable swarms to say hold objectives.

The basic strengths an weakneses are there but combined they cover the other so well whats the down side. There is none. The lore is gone, the individuality is gone. Its an event list.

Chaos codex 4e allowed you some IG stuff if you took Iron Warriors an only so much. You had variance that made sense an stuff to work with lore wise.

Now its promoted mid maxing.

People have been min maxing since 2nd edition. I'm not sure you'll ever stop it.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Never said they would guys not a point I ever made or will make last I'm saying on it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Just watched the final game in the team championship at Adepticon.

Shadowsword put 30 wounds on Mortarion on their turn 1 and deleted him.

Incredible.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Incredible.

shadowswords are fair and balanced tanks

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Booley posted:

Well against Mortarion it is!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

DancingShade posted:

People have been min maxing since 2nd edition. I'm not sure you'll ever stop it.

...Nobody's against min maxing. Min maxing is great. I love it. I play a lot of competitive games that are all about min maxing. MTG is about min maxing, Starcraft is about min maxing, League of Legends is too. I want to min max in 40k. The problem in 40k is not min maxing, it's the fact that the rules never punish certain decisions so all you have to do is apply a first order optimization (moar Flyrants) and it's actually a good idea.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

quote:

Tank Name Range Type S AP D
Baneblade Baneblade Cannon 72" Heavy 3D6 9 -3 3
Banehammer Tremor Cannon 60" Heavy 3D6 8 -2 3
Banesword Quake Cannon 140" Heavy 2D6 14 -4 D6
Doomhammer Magma Cannon 60" Heavy 2D6 10 -5 D6
Hellhammer Hellhammer Cannon 36" Heavy 3D6 10 -4 3
Shadowsword Volcano Cannon 120" Heavy 3D3 16 -5 2D6
Stormlord Vulcan Mega-Bolter 60" Heavy 20 6 -2 2
Stormsword Stomsword Siege Cannon 36" Heavy 2D6 10 -4 D6
:thunk:

(I mean they are intended to be titan killers, but it's still funny to compare)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

:thunk:

(I mean they are intended to be titan killers, but it's still funny to compare)

Yeah only 1 shot less on average than the 2d6 shot tanks with more regularity, only 4.5 shots less on average than the 3d6, wounding everything but titans on 2s unlike all the others, no non-invulnerable armor saves, and doing twice as much damage. They should be priced a fair bit higher than the other baneblade hulls.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

A guard battalion is 180 points, and gives you 3cp, kurov/grand strategist, and 30 cheap bodies to screen with. I can't see a good reason not to take that in pretty much every imperium army ever.

i thought you could only take relics from the codex your warlord comes from

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

zeal posted:

Nope, just that the free relic you get is from whatever faction your warlord is.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

You get 1 free from your warlord, and can take one from each other faction you have for 1CP. So that effectively only gives you 2 CP since you burn 1 to still get a relic from your warlord, but you'll almost assuredly get that back.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Playing 1500 against Tyranids tomorrow with my Imperial Fists... I'm going shooty-heavy, but I'm at the stage where I can either take small tactical squads and a devastator squad, or put my heavy weapons in bigger tactical squads.

I'm giving my new Vindicator a spin, along with a unit of Aggressors. Anyone have any advice? I haven't played Tyranids since I played back in high school in like 2002, and that was a different army and too long ago to remember poo poo.

My HQ is Lysander with 5 terminators by his side, and a Primaris Librarian to try and counter all the psychic poo poo I'm sure I'll be encountering. Also fielding an Ironclad, but I have snipers available, an apothecary, techmarine, and ancient.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBigAristotle posted:

a Primaris Librarian to try and counter all the psychic poo poo I'm sure I'll be encountering

i don't play vanilla marines so i don't know what exactly your options are, but if there's anything you can take to give that dude extra deny attempts, or expand his deny range, do it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of librarians, I'm disappointed in the lack of librarian dreads with wings & jump pack kitbashed from one of the marines' many blocky flyers.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Speaking of librarians, I'm disappointed in the lack of librarian dreads with wings & jump pack kitbashed from one of the marines' many blocky flyers.

I don't know why you'd ever do that when you can do this:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

I don't know why you'd ever do that when you can do this:

Angel wings are all well and good, but there's an appeal to the idea of OG bricknoughts with giant blocky wings for me.

Also, while looking up SM flyers I read this in a Stormraven entry

quote:

It is built for maximum air resistance so that the air can never defeat the Space Marines.

Who said 1d4chan is never worth reading :v:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

i don't play vanilla marines so i don't know what exactly your options are, but if there's anything you can take to give that dude extra deny attempts, or expand his deny range, do it

I could take a relic to expand his psychic options to 3, but otherwise my only strat so far is to flakk missile the poo poo out of his flyrant, sit back and shoot as much as I can and hope I can get Lysander into the action. :shrug:

I'm not terribly concerned about winning, but I'd prefer to keep it close regardless.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeast posted:

Incredible.

Did the Mortarion player have to film himself throwing Mortarion in the trash while saying “I’m a punk bitch” to the camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Did the Mortarion player have to film himself throwing Mortarion in the trash while saying Im a punk bitch to the camera?

As per Nurgle tourney rules his Mortarion was sloppily recasted with plaster, with his original handed off to a better nurgle player