Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So why don't their cars have 8 cylinders and 8 doors and 8 wheels.

Seems like a cop-out if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well What Now posted:

I think it's China where the number 4 is bad luck.

It goes for Japan too. 四 is 4, and 死 is death in both languages and all 4 are similarly pronounced.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just buy two, then you're covered.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

charliemonster42 posted:

Other than that, gently caress fractions. Quick - whats one bigger than 9/32"?
1 9/32, technically.

Whitworth/BSF's always fun for giving people headaches over wrenching sizes, too.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Data Graham posted:

Because it's half of 8 and 8 is lucky.

You could be making this up and I'd still believe it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's the best part of numerology: any number can be proven either good or bad, given sufficient ingenuity of the investigator.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

glyph posted:

I wish what you said up top was true, and it seems to be for the larger sizes, 1/2" especially. 3/4 is the normal sized hex, the heavy nuts we have for the t-slot hardware for our mills are 7/8" nuts.

Unfortunately, it falls off at smaller sizes- I know for a fact that a 1/4" machine screw takes a nut that a 7/16" wrench fits, a 3/8" wrench belongs to a #10 screw, a #8 screw takes a 11/32, and a 5/16" screw has a 1/2" nut, 9/16" for heavy.

Perhaps a safer bet would be to say heavy nuts go to the next size up? 1/4" goes from 7/16" to 1/2" wrench sizes, 1/2" is the native wrench size for 5/16" which sizes up to 9/16" in a heavy nut, which is the native wrench size for 3/8"...

Can you guess what size fasteners we use a whole lot at work?

I've been told (and it seems to bear out) that the bolt head (and presumably nut head) is 3/16" larger than the thread size. Seems to work. 1/2" head on a 5/16" thread, 9/16" head on a 3/8" thread, etc. Not sure how that works with numbered thread sizes. I guess I almost never see those with external hex heads, anyway.

Maybe the big stuff is 1.5x, the middle stuff is +3/16, and the small stuff is... something else.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 18, 2016

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
This fastener chat is riveting.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Preoptopus posted:

Nailed it!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Screw you. quit nutting up this thread.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Fastener chat would be a good pitch for a new thread.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Terrible Robot posted:

kastein's time for glory. Better add embedded systems chat in there too!

Maybe if we tap his knowledge, we won't die!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 18, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Preoptopus posted:

Would you have us strip it?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Powershift posted:

Or 2 doors.

But then it'd be a coupé out I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Hah, yep. That's the front axle, right? Same thing on my CL350.

I used the rear because centerstand.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

But did you ever get that CB125 working again? You need to update that post.

yup. http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/08/cb125-shakedown.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Terrible Robot posted:

I couldn't bare myself to turn the page. I'd just say screw it and not count the unread posts.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I couldn't bare myself to turn the page. I'd just say screw it and not count the unread posts.

You're all nuts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Door Frame posted:

It's 5/16. Thankfully I have never seen an SAE socket with anything larger than 32 in the denominator

Ignition wrench sets almost always include 13/64 and 15/64 wrenches.

25/32 is a super common size in early Boeings, and for pre-sixties Ford stuff. Particularly flatheads.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Our new ford rangers at work have a few infuriating bolts dotted around them...

M6 thread?

8MM HEAD!

gently caress you you useless fuckstains, theres ZERO reason for it to be an 8mm head BECAUSE ITS loving FLANGED OUT TO THE SIZE OF A 10MM HEAD ANYWAY!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fastener chat is the worst thread pitch I've ever heard.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

honda whisperer posted:

I'd prefer adhesive chat, but i guess I've resined to this.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

honda whisperer posted:

Terrible Robot posted:

Come at me bro :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DJ Commie posted:

kastein's time for glory. Better add embedded systems chat in there too!

Maybe if we tap his knowledge, we won't die!

I'll shank you

rndmnmbr posted:

Pretty sure that back in the day when US car companies changed over from SAE to mm, all they did was convert the SAE sizes they were using to mm rounding up, then gave their current car designs to an intern to do a quick copy/paste job. Which explains not only the commonly used sizes in US cars, but why you still find the occasional SAE bolt - the intern missed a few because fuckit, its not like he was getting paid to do the job.

Also pretty sure that the reason a lot of cheaper metric tool sets are missing sizes in because they're just running metric sizing dies over the SAE tools of roughly the same size, purposely skipping the metric sizes in between two SAE sizes because be damned if they're going to design and produce two or three extra wrenches for tool kits built down to a cost, not up to a quality.

Not quite. Most parts retain their existing fastener type and size until they are phased out, and/or are chosen by whatever company designed that particular part of the car. Which is why you get weird poo poo like:
- on a jeep 4.0L, every single bolt threaded into the block itself is SAE, because it was an ancient 258ci i6 dimensionally on the outside. But every single bolt threaded into the intake manifold is metric because it was redesigned in the 80s for the new motor. Except for the pipe threads, those are NPT because we're in America god damnit we don't want none of your loving BSP or metric straight thread + O-ring nonsense.
- all the bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine are SAE because again, it's designed to fit where a 258 did, EXCEPT the two crank position sensor mounting bolts which are metric (and have an 11mm head!) because that was introduced with the EFI system at the same time as the new intake manifold etc.
- the bolt that goes through the starter into the bellhousing is SAE, because the bellhousing pattern is again, the same, and SAE, BUT the bolt that goes the other way through the bellhousing into the starter is metric, because they introduced a new starter at the same time and it was made by Nippon-Denso so it's metric.
- the studs that hold the (metric-native, designed in the 80s by New Venture Gear) transfer case to the (metric native, designed in the 80s by Aisin Warner) transmission are all SAE, because the pattern was pre-existing and each side of it was designed to be compatible with earlier components.
- All the body hardware is metric EXCEPT the things (like fuel tank J-bolts, connector hold-down bolts, and selftapping sheetmetal screws) that were borrowed from existing products or were standard hardware purchased in the states for assembly and were therefore cheaper to get in SAE than metric.
- all the nuts and bolts in the axle assemblies are SAE because they were existing legacy Dana/Spicer designs from previous decades, except the suspension link hardware and anything related to the calipers and unit bearings, which were new designs and thus metric.
- the steering box has SAE bolts holding it to the frame, a metric pinch bolt keeping the steering column shaft hooked to it, metric O-ringed hydraulic fittings, and an SAE thread on the sector shaft to the pitman arm, because it was designed by GM to work with existing chassis parts, but new body and powertrain equipment.

I think my favorites are the two starter bolts and the tcase to tranny pattern. They really throw people off.

cursedshitbox posted:

Post BMW Rover went with imperial threads on a metric head. its unfucking believable.

GM/Ford of the 80s/90s would litter imperial/metrique on everything. For instance bell housing bolts would be 3 imperial, 2 metric.

Seriously? That's hosed. I've never seen GM do that (sure seems like they stick with metric for everything I've worked on except SBC stuff), but Ford I wouldn't be surprised by. The Rover hermaphroditic bolts amuse me every time you mention them.

As for horrible failures, here's a 1/4" wall frame rail after a friend's flywheel exploded and went right through the bellhousing, since it was just cast aluminum:

Front of transmission:

Clutch and transmission input shaft:

Everything else:

looking up from under the truck before the engine was pulled: (if you look up from where the flywheel should be, you will see the clutch disc and what's left of the pressure plate!)

Aftermath in the engine compartment: (hi again, clutch disc)

Total damage list:
engine block
crank
bellhousing
input shaft of transmission
everything inside the bellhousing
exhaust
fuel lines
brake lines
frame rail
a 40" offroad tire
the impact at the front of the transmission was so severe that it broke the transmission tailhousing in between the trans and the transfer case, at the back of the transmission
wiring harness
firewall
the DBW throttle pedal

oh and a big chunk of the flywheel hit the asphalt so hard it was embedded 2" deep.

Most concerningly, it set the leaking fuel on fire and destroyed the throttle pedal while he had it floored, wearing only tennis shoes. He walked away without a scratch.

When he rebuilt it, he put an SFI rated blowproof spun steel bellhousing in for some odd reason.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 19, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

I'll shank you

Not quite. Most parts retain their existing fastener type and size until they are phased out, and/or are chosen by whatever company designed that particular part of the car. Which is why you get weird poo poo like:
- on a jeep 4.0L, every single bolt threaded into the block itself is SAE, because it was an ancient 258ci i6 dimensionally on the outside. But every single bolt threaded into the intake manifold is metric because it was redesigned in the 80s for the new motor. Except for the pipe threads, those are NPT because we're in America god damnit we don't want none of your loving BSP or metric straight thread + O-ring nonsense.
- all the bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine are SAE because again, it's designed to fit where a 258 did, EXCEPT the two crank position sensor mounting bolts which are metric (and have an 11mm head!) because that was introduced with the EFI system at the same time as the new intake manifold etc.
- the bolt that goes through the starter into the bellhousing is SAE, because the bellhousing pattern is again, the same, and SAE, BUT the bolt that goes the other way through the bellhousing into the starter is metric, because they introduced a new starter at the same time and it was made by Nippon-Denso so it's metric.
- the studs that hold the (metric-native, designed in the 80s by New Venture Gear) transfer case to the (metric native, designed in the 80s by Aisin Warner) transmission are all SAE, because the pattern was pre-existing and each side of it was designed to be compatible with earlier components.
- All the body hardware is metric EXCEPT the things (like fuel tank J-bolts, connector hold-down bolts, and selftapping sheetmetal screws) that were borrowed from existing products or were standard hardware purchased in the states for assembly and were therefore cheaper to get in SAE than metric.
- all the nuts and bolts in the axle assemblies are SAE because they were existing legacy Dana/Spicer designs from previous decades, except the suspension link hardware and anything related to the calipers and unit bearings, which were new designs and thus metric.
- the steering box has SAE bolts holding it to the frame, a metric pinch bolt keeping the steering column shaft hooked to it, metric O-ringed hydraulic fittings, and an SAE thread on the sector shaft to the pitman arm, because it was designed by GM to work with existing chassis parts, but new body and powertrain equipment.

I think my favorites are the two starter bolts and the tcase to tranny pattern. They really throw people off.

Seriously? That's hosed. I've never seen GM do that (sure seems like they stick with metric for everything I've worked on except SBC stuff), but Ford I wouldn't be surprised by. The Rover hermaphroditic bolts amuse me every time you mention them.

As for horrible failures, here's a 1/4" wall frame rail after a friend's flywheel exploded and went right through the bellhousing, since it was just cast aluminum:

Front of transmission:

Clutch and transmission input shaft:

Everything else:

looking up from under the truck before the engine was pulled: (if you look up from where the flywheel should be, you will see the clutch disc and what's left of the pressure plate!)

Aftermath in the engine compartment: (hi again, clutch disc)

Total damage list:
engine block
crank
bellhousing
exhaust
fuel lines
brake lines
frame rail
a 40" offroad tire
the impact at the front of the transmission was so severe that it broke the transmission tailhousing in between the trans and the transfer case, at the back of the transmission
wiring harness
firewall
the DBW throttle pedal

oh and a big chunk of the flywheel hit the asphalt so hard it was embedded 2" deep.

Most concerningly, it set the leaking fuel on fire and destroyed the throttle pedal while he had it floored, wearing only tennis shoes. He walked away without a scratch.

When he rebuilt it, he put an SFI rated blowproof spun steel bellhousing in for some odd reason.

OK, so what was your friend doing that made this happen? Also, why rebuild? Is there something special about the body? Perhaps it's just me not being a mechanic, but if that happened to me, I'd scream for about an hour straight, then scrap it ASAP.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Total damage list:
engine block
crank
bellhousing
exhaust
fuel lines
brake lines
frame rail
a 40" offroad tire
wiring harness
firewall
the DBW throttle pedal

:stonkhat: I don't see pants and underwear on this list as things damaged.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Who's got that kastein post about the forces a clutch/flywheel undergoes at even moderate RPMs, I know someone saved it (I did but it's on a dead computer and :effort:)

edit; nevermind I trawled through his post history in this thread (30 pages!)

kastein posted:

Consider this.

A flexplate bolt a mere 15cm from crank centerline experiences nearly 100G acceleration... at 750rpm idle.

At 6k rpm, it's SIX THOUSAND Gs.

Say you have a flywheel that's got an outer diameter of 16 inches. The starter ring gear (which is really pretty thin and generally thermally shrink-fit or pressed onto the edge of the flywheel) experiences an acceleration of over 14000G at 8000rpm. 14000G means a 1 gram machine nut behaves like it weighs 14 tonnes.

Be careful with ANYTHING spinning. The G forces experienced are linear with respect to mass and radius, but square law with respect to rotational speed. poo poo gets serious in a hurry.

Because if something goes kablooey, everything suddenly wants to move in a straight line. And if there are ANY flaws in something that big spinning that fast, things go kablooey very, very suddenly and vigorously.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 19, 2016

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Come at me bro :colbert:

I did try repeating the same joke louder. I'm the shitposter.

:negative:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

:frogsiren:WARNING:frogsiren:

DANGER TO MANIFOLD

*floor falls off*
(moose hit, truck didn't look bad at all until we opened the hood)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I'd prefer adhesive chat, but i guess I've resined to this.
:frogout:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

All these puns make me want to die, I'm tapping out.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Hopefully the puns will die out without getting into another thread. Nobody wants cross-threading.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Hopefully the puns will die out without getting into another thread. Nobody wants cross-threading.

Maybe we can strip out the puns and make them into a freshly formed thread. SA needs to tap into the collective intellect here. Anyone with a problem can screw off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You are all torquing me up pretty bad with these drat puns.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

OK, so what was your friend doing that made this happen? Also, why rebuild? Is there something special about the body? Perhaps it's just me not being a mechanic, but if that happened to me, I'd scream for about an hour straight, then scrap it ASAP.

It's all in a... 1978? Jeep J10 pickup he put 1 ton axles and 40" offroad tires on, that was an LQ4 6.0L engine and an SM465 trans he had swapped in. If it had been a stock chevy truck it would be time to buy a different one off CL and move on with life.

Instead he rebuilt it with another LQ4 and an NV4500.

He was doing a small burnout when it happened. Has done far worse with a better brand flywheel since then. Clutch grabbed and he launched just fine, no slipping, then about 30 feet later poo poo got weird and expensive noises were heard and felt.

Now that the truck has been rebuilt, and caged, this is what he does with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2HyuqMsFKc

E: and I just saw a stupid mistake I made in that flywheelpost, a 1 gram nut at 14000G would be 14kg equivalent, not 14 tonnes :downs:

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 19, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Now that the truck has been rebuilt, and caged, this is what he does with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2HyuqMsFKc

E: and I just saw a stupid mistake I made in that flywheelpost, a 1 gram nut at 14000G would be 14kg equivalent, not 14 tonnes :downs:
That's awesome!

Funny story, that hot tub is actually really easy to get out of, if you're not doing burnouts. (The last time I did it, I had a front locker but open rear.)

... but then you're not doing burnouts.

I thought something looked fishy with the math, but I just assumed you knew more than I did. Glad to hear I'm not crazy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

(The last time I did it, I had a front locker but open rear.)
That sounds like a somewhat odd combination, any particular logic to that?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

That sounds like a somewhat odd combination, any particular logic to that?
Weight is more typically on the rear, so the front will usually slip first. (This was being purpose built to drive ~800 miles to Moab, climb over poo poo, and drive home - outside of rock crawling, I like having a locker, but I don't need it.)

It's locked front & rear now, and I definitely prefer it this way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, ok. It's not an approach I'd considered. I suppose it makes sense, especially if you have fiddle brakes on the rear.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Locking the front or rear first is somewhat of a religious debate. Given the choice I would probably do the same, in fact I did.

That truck weighs like 5-6k and is somewhat front heavy, which makes for some difficulty getting out of the hot tub I guess. It is also pretty wide with wide tires - those are fullwidth chevy axles, 60 kingpin front and 14B rear. Having never been to Moab I can't tell you if that makes for a worse or better tire contact patch given the shape of the bowl.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Locking the front or rear first is somewhat of a religious debate. Given the choice I would probably do the same, in fact I did.

That truck weighs like 5-6k and is somewhat front heavy, which makes for some difficulty getting out of the hot tub I guess. It is also pretty wide with wide tires - those are fullwidth chevy axles, 60 kingpin front and 14B rear. Having never been to Moab I can't tell you if that makes for a worse or better tire contact patch given the shape of the bowl.
Definitely worse. It slopes in hard after about the width of an XJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it a mechanical failure? No, not entirely. The end product is pretty successful. But there's some good stuff in here

http://imgur.com/gallery/sg9FF