Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dongicus posted:

Read up on some stuff on the lw forum and tweak the inis to ur preference. theres some UI mods that help show off the stupid hidden mechanics. hav fun dude

the most important thing, however, is never listen to goons who got pwned by the mod.

its far from perfect dont get me wrong, but it's definitely much better than the base game rn.

do not believe this crazy man he is crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Game just crashed so hard my PC went down with it and deleted my save file 4 months in. Cool!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I went to look up prices on War of the Chosen and I've been struck by the confidence of Firaxis - pricing an expansion at the rate of a new AAA game is something that I can't recall seeing in... well, ever.

e: or rather, maybe it's that I still think of the price of a new game as being £30 instead of £60.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Alchenar posted:

I went to look up prices on War of the Chosen and I've been struck by the confidence of Firaxis - pricing an expansion at the rate of a new AAA game is something that I can't recall seeing in... well, ever.

e: or rather, maybe it's that I still think of the price of a new game as being £30 instead of £60.

War of the Chosen clocks in at $40 USD. Most new AAA games clock in at $60.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's a bit pricey for an expansion but I wouldn't call it AAA pricing

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Bogart posted:

do not believe this crazy man he is crazy

I entirely disagree with you and agree with him.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LW2 is good but im 50 hours in and yet to liberate my first region and keep getting retaliation missions with 40+ enemies and I'm getting a little burned out. I know there's so much still to see and get out of it but I dunno if I have the will to keep going

It's definitely better than the base game tho

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

$40 for an expansion pack seems awfully steep to me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Really? Like every recent expansion pack I've bought has been priced around that.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

LW2 is good but im 50 hours in and yet to liberate my first region and keep getting retaliation missions with 40+ enemies and I'm getting a little burned out. I know there's so much still to see and get out of it but I dunno if I have the will to keep going

It's definitely better than the base game tho

I believe retaliations require this in a region:
- 4+ rebels working the same job type
- 4+ advent strength

It sounds like you are working jobs in regions with 8+ advent strength maybe? I am not an expert, but try going into hiding in hot regions.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

if you have the intel you should try expanding to as many regions as you can afford to thin out the strength.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Seems fair for how much is being added. It's not just a space barbie dress up pack.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zore posted:

Really? Like every recent expansion pack I've bought has been priced around that.

Not really if you're not talking about blizzard games. They are usually 19.99 or 29.99. It feels like its about 10 bucks to high tome.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They used the Xcom RNG to pick the price.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

etalian posted:

They used the Xcom RNG to pick the price.

Everything below 100 being actually 0, the expansion is free?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Suspicious posted:

Everything below 100 being actually 0, the expansion is free?

They used the lower difficulty RNG mode so all the numbers are actually bigger than you would think.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Ramadu posted:

Not really if you're not talking about blizzard games. They are usually 19.99 or 29.99. It feels like its about 10 bucks to high tome.

Reaper of Souls was $40 at launch, and googling says the last few World of Warcraft expansions have went at $50 at their launches.

Is everybody just comparing the GMG price to WotC's steam price or something?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Exposure posted:

Reaper of Souls was $40 at launch, and googling says the last few World of Warcraft expansions have went at $50 at their launches.

Is everybody just comparing the GMG price to WotC's steam price or something?

I think Ramadu is saying most expansion packs don't cost $40.

Blood and Wine was $20 which was substantial.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

monster on a stick posted:

Ah.

But I mean, at that point we kinda run into the problem of going past CD Projekt RED and Blizzard and running face first into the problem of "wait there's not really many other people who both do AAA-budget games and make major expansions for them in this day and age."

Like ironically enough Firaxis would be the biggest counterpoint, since their Civilization expansions tend to run for $30, but even then Civ expansions usually tend to come in a more "well you're gonna need a couple if you *really* want to improve this game a lot since they focus on different things" format, whereas WotC seems to be really trying to shore up XCOM 2's weaknesses all around instead of just focusing on one area like say, the strategy layer.

That and I'm willing to bet the purchasing power of the US dollar in Poland vs the United States + cost of living in Poland means CD Projekt RED can afford to sell more for cheaper since they can get far bigger profit margins out of it.

Exposure fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 17, 2017

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started playing xcom 2 today. I have played the older xcom games, but don't really know what I am doing here. So far giving my ranger the axes and the +2 melee damage skill has turned her into the deadlist member of my squad by a good margin. Not really sure what I should be prioritizing when it comes to the campaign map or research. I am just kind of going to each event as they come up, and completing them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

monster on a stick posted:

I would have paid $60 for B&W though. Of course the Witcher 3 is one of the most value packed games out there. I've been playing it again and a regular AAA title would have consisted of only White Orchard and most of Velen, with none of the free DLC.

What I'm saying is it's not necessarily invalid, but W3 is an outlier when it comes to games and pricing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just started playing xcom 2 today. I have played the older xcom games, but don't really know what I am doing here. So far giving my ranger the axes and the +2 melee damage skill has turned her into the deadlist member of my squad by a good margin. Not really sure what I should be prioritizing when it comes to the campaign map or research. I am just kind of going to each event as they come up, and completing them.

On the campaign map you should be prioritizing heading towards the various locked facilities, with a side detour towards unlocking the continent bonuses if they're really good (reusable weapon parts and PCSs are really good)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Research priorities: level two guns (so your dudes get shot less because the enemy iz dead), level two armor (so your dudes have more shot to take hits), resistance communications and radio (so you can spread across the map). Those are the big three a campaign kinda rests on to at least get started. After that you can kinda do whatever.

A quick hint on autopsies: every single one gives you something good, however with common enemies (troopers and sectoids really) you can wait on autopsying them. If you ever get enough corpses of an alien in your inventory you'll end up with a free, instant autopsy. Also, don't sell trooper corpses, you need them for armor research.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

A quick hint on autopsies: every single one gives you something good, however with common enemies (troopers and sectoids really) you can wait on autopsying them.

I love battle scanners, so I do prioritize troopers. They're not as good as they were in X-COM 1, but I always bring at least one.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I typically rush resistance contacts so I can get another region before the first supply drop for an early supply bump. It's honestly too risky to be a solid strategy because you only barely get modular weapons before the first terror mission, and if you get unlucky you might not even contact the region in time for the supply drop.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

build a flashbang and bring it immediately

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cythereal posted:

I love battle scanners, so I do prioritize troopers. They're not as good as they were in X-COM 1, but I always bring at least one.

They're not quite as giant radius maphack as they were in XCOM, but the ability to put them on literally anyone instead of the sniper you likely want to leave in the back is an immeasurably useful buff.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

fadam posted:

I haven't played this since launch, but I'm going to give LW2 a try. Any tips on getting started?

Unfortunately you pretty much have to read up on LW2 strategic layer mechanics on the wiki to do well in the game. It's mandatory, because you'll totally get hosed if you aren't ready for the mid-game months when AVATAR progress ramps up blindingly fast - far moreso than in vanilla. Seriously from the point where you can actually see the AVATAR doomclock until the time you are hosed is like a week unless you are ready for it. I'm specifically talking about reading this page: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Advent%27s_Agenda_%28LW2%29 That was updated at the end of May, so it should reflect the 1.3 version of LW2. You'll find everything you need to know about resistance haven management there as well. Even reading that, the strategic layer will be about as clear as mud until you've played through a few months.

For the tactical game, the biggest changes are in the variety of Advent units. Other than that, all of the enemies scale up in difficulty quite a bit more mid-end game in LW2 than they do in vanilla. That's the part that is really the meat of the game and is where LW2 is at its best. It also doesn't really need any explanation because it delivers as expected - the strategy layer is the confusing bit.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Instead of playing like I was going to, I've been watching Beagles run from last year and he just got to proximity mines. They're absurd, even on impossible they demolish entire pods of enemies! It got me thinking about whether stuff has been changed since he made those videos from a pre-release build. He notes that his use of kill zone doesn't work as it was changed to not break concealment and fire, but are there any other major changes people might recall? I saw upthread folks were saying the advent doom timer only resets to seven days, which seems like a pretty big deal too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I really want to just buy this expansion with the pre-order discount, but then I remember civ: BE and civ VI and think "no, firaxis. You'll never get me again, ever". I'll get this when it's discounted to 20 something dollars and good reviews are out. I loving love xcom.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I just learned that this wonderful game has another expansion and oh goooooooood yessssss I love XCOM 2, goddamn.

From the videos on Steam, it seems they'll be using Intel to let you buff your soldiers or get better results in missions now, like they did with the TV tower pre-final mission?

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

redreader posted:

"no, firaxis. You'll never get me again, ever"

me when i first heard of the expansion

Olive Branch posted:

oh goooooooood yessssss I love XCOM 2, goddamn.

me on my way to the preorder page after i watched the first trailer

im weak :negative:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

From the videos on Steam, it seems they'll be using Intel to let you buff your soldiers or get better results in missions now, like they did with the TV tower pre-final mission?

There are mods for that now. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779395701&searchtext=intel

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Olive Branch posted:

....que? None of the videos show Covert Actions, which is the new mechanic added that lets you sometimes add intel to remove a negative outcome. Other times it'll be a Soldier, Scientist, or Engineer that needs to be added to do that.

While there will be a new mechanic for normal missions (SITREPs), it's not affected by intel.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Chakan posted:

Instead of playing like I was going to, I've been watching Beagles run from last year and he just got to proximity mines. They're absurd, even on impossible they demolish entire pods of enemies! It got me thinking about whether stuff has been changed since he made those videos from a pre-release build. He notes that his use of kill zone doesn't work as it was changed to not break concealment and fire, but are there any other major changes people might recall? I saw upthread folks were saying the advent doom timer only resets to seven days, which seems like a pretty big deal too.

• Explosives in general and proximity mines in particular were nerfed in damage and radius.
  • Kill Zone won't work unless the unit activating it is not in stealth mode.
  • Sectoids no longer have "make a zombie" as their highest priority, meaning they can't be ignored if they have an angle on you.
  • The aforementioned doom timer changes are correct.
  • Mimetic beacons are more expensive, don't get bonuses for cover, and die to incoming fire more easily.
  • Something changed about pods patrolling into stealthed ambushers -- sometimes they'll shoot instead of running if you leave a unit out of cover? I never used the tactic so I don't remember exactly how it used to work vs. how it works now.

So yeah, most of the cheese on display in that video series was gone or diminished before it was uploaded.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'd say check out xwynns or joinrbs for a much much more up to date idea of what the game is like now

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tricky Ed posted:

• Explosives in general and proximity mines in particular were nerfed in damage and radius.
  • Kill Zone won't work unless the unit activating it is not in stealth mode.
  • Sectoids no longer have "make a zombie" as their highest priority, meaning they can't be ignored if they have an angle on you.
  • The aforementioned doom timer changes are correct.
  • Mimetic beacons are more expensive, don't get bonuses for cover, and die to incoming fire more easily.
  • Something changed about pods patrolling into stealthed ambushers -- sometimes they'll shoot instead of running if you leave a unit out of cover? I never used the tactic so I don't remember exactly how it used to work vs. how it works now.

So yeah, most of the cheese on display in that video series was gone or diminished before it was uploaded.

Yeah, you don't get a free turn by conga-lining your dudes out of cover anymore. They'll usually take a shot if they patrol into you on their turn and your dudes are out of concealment and cover.

You avoid it by being in cover/activating them on your turn.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Exposure posted:

....que? None of the videos show Covert Actions, which is the new mechanic added that lets you sometimes add intel to remove a negative outcome. Other times it'll be a Soldier, Scientist, or Engineer that needs to be added to do that.

While there will be a new mechanic for normal missions (SITREPs), it's not affected by intel.
Oops, my mistake. I misread an intel reward for intel used to alter the mission.

EDIT: What are these "ability points" in the expansion? Do they refer to getting new abilities on soldiers ranking up?

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 18, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

Oops, my mistake. I misread an intel reward for intel used to alter the mission.

EDIT: What are these "ability points" in the expansion? Do they refer to getting new abilities on soldiers ranking up?

Its a new resource system. You earn points for things like killing an enemy with a flanking shot, or killing them by destroying the floor they stand on; basically by being tactically advantageous. This is modified by a new stat called 'combat intelligence' that lets soldiers with high intelligence gain more points. There is both a global pool and a per soldier pool though I'm not clear on how the points you earn breakdown between them.

The old AWC system is gone and instead all normal soldiers have 3 random perks you can buy by spending the ability points, or you can use them to buy other perks you didn't pick at rank up (So you can grab conceal and blademaster etc)

The 3 new classes don't level up normally and can only get new perks by spending ability points, and their trees are as big as normal soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also worth noting: all soldiers get ability points that can only spent on themselves, in addition to the global points that can be spent on anyone. So all your soldiers are going to end up with at least one bonus perk (but you get a lot more control over what it is), or you can really go ham and give a soldier all the perks if you really want