Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can't throw people out of a window if you're not in a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Without a house you cannot shoot your pistol out the window.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
without a house, you can't ride your horse into the house

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You should tailor your war crimes according to the culture you're fighting, duh. That's like, Tyranny 101.

Robert J. Kodosky, Psychological Operations American Style posted:

The core of OSS planning contained plans to use the fox, an animal that, when illuminated, Shintoists view as a harbinger of bad times. “Project Fantasia” stemmed from the believe that “under extremely trying conditions,” Japanese “would be adversely affected by what they might consider an evil omen.” Based on what they learned from “experts familiar with Japanese superstition and mythology,” OSS personnel hoped the project would instill their enemy with “fear, terror, and despair.” Beginning in 1943, American experimented with fox-shaped balloons covered in luminous paint that could be dangled by fishing line to scare Japanese observers. By the end of 1944, they shelved that idea and shifted to testing live foxes sprayed with paint they resolved to disperse across the “entire field of combat.”

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
These guys know that the Hound of the Baskervilles was fiction, right?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, real armies just attach explosives to dogs and let them run towards the enemy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, real armies just attach explosives to dogs and let them run towards the enemy.

The last part is optional.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve played R:TW, you’re supposed to light the dogs on fire to spook elephants

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Without a house it's just fighting and not house to house fighting

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

Hound of the Blazkewicz

(It's the panzerhund you ride around torching Nazis in New Orleans)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MrYenko posted:

The last part is optional.

Poor soviet mine dogs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve played R:TW, you’re supposed to light the dogs on fire to spook elephants

Only pigs light on fire, dogs are just low tier horses

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Without houses, the House of Habsburg is just 'Habs' because you can't have a burg without buildings.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Habsextendedcampsite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

Only pigs light on fire, dogs are just low tier horses

Low tier horses that can be summoned at will from the dog dimension at the end of each combat.

So really more like low tier antipersonnel guided missile barrages.

I assume your army carries an ammunition train around with it stuffed to the gills with scorpion bolts and dogs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve played R:TW, you’re supposed to light the dogs on fire use your screeching women to spook elephants

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

OwlFancier posted:

dog dimension

brb, gonna build the Sliders timer

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The dog handlers are doggy necromancers. That's why if the handler dies, you don't get the dog back.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

canyoneer posted:

The dog handlers are doggy necromancers. That's why if the handler dies, you don't get the dog back.

Yes, that's it

The only casualties I cared about in that game were elephants and camels, as they could only be trained in certain areas

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I definitely sleep with the window open for excellent outside air. I also looked it up and the government mandates that all the air in every room should be completely replaced by outside air every hour.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I was reading the posts about psyops and how human beings are prone to mistakes and group think and it reminded me about a battle a long time ago that I can't remember the people involved but I remember the details.

Basically in the 1600s or some poo poo in eastern Europe 2 countries were at war. For the sake of arguement let's say Poland and Romania although those are probably wrong. The Poles were vastly outnumbered and were worried about being overrun the next day when they heard a poo poo load of fighting in the night. They went out to scout and found a few Romanian survivors. They told the story how they were attacked in the night by a large force that ended up routing their army. They assumed it was the Poles but they hadn't moved and were not expecting reinforcements.

Turns out it was a large Romanian force coming to reinforce them so they could overrun the Poles. For whatever reason the guys on guard duty confused them for an enemy force and opened fire which resulted in both sides bringing everything they had to bear. They fought an extremely bloody battle that resulted in large casualties and both sides being routed. I think it actually cost them the war because they lost so many men and couldn't regain the initiative.

I'm sure I got some details wrong but does this sound familiar to anyone?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well they had the time machine so of course they'd win.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

limp_cheese posted:

I was reading the posts about psyops and how human beings are prone to mistakes and group think and it reminded me about a battle a long time ago that I can't remember the people involved but I remember the details.

Basically in the 1600s or some poo poo in eastern Europe 2 countries were at war. For the sake of arguement let's say Poland and Romania although those are probably wrong. The Poles were vastly outnumbered and were worried about being overrun the next day when they heard a poo poo load of fighting in the night. They went out to scout and found a few Romanian survivors. They told the story how they were attacked in the night by a large force that ended up routing their army. They assumed it was the Poles but they hadn't moved and were not expecting reinforcements.

Turns out it was a large Romanian force coming to reinforce them so they could overrun the Poles. For whatever reason the guys on guard duty confused them for an enemy force and opened fire which resulted in both sides bringing everything they had to bear. They fought an extremely bloody battle that resulted in large casualties and both sides being routed. I think it actually cost them the war because they lost so many men and couldn't regain the initiative.

I'm sure I got some details wrong but does this sound familiar to anyone?

Sounds like the Battle of Karánsebes, which was mostly apocryphal.

EDIT: I've never made this recommendation before, but you should read the talk page for this article, because there's actual historical research happening there.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 23, 2017

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well they had the time machine so of course they'd win.

I get that I most assuredly got the names of the sides wrong, I just threw those in there as placeholders instead of saying Army A and Army B. I'm also going off a memory of a story I read a long time ago and figured I would ask the thread in case it was a fever dream of some sort.

Edit:

Sounds like the Battle of Karánsebes, which was mostly apocryphal.

That's the one. I love that it was so much more hosed up than I imagined.

Wikipedia posted:

Different portions of an Austrian army, which were scouting for forces of the Ottoman Empire, fired on each other by mistake, causing self-inflicted decimation. The battle took place on the night of 21–22 September 1788. The Ottomans took advantage and captured the city.
The army of Austria, approximately 100,000 strong, was setting up camp around the town of Karánsebes (now Caransebeș, in modern Romania). The army's vanguard, a contingent of hussars, crossed the Timiș River nearby to scout for the presence of the Ottoman Turks. There was no sign of the Ottoman army, but the hussars did run into a group of Tzigani, who offered to sell schnapps to the war-weary soldiers. The cavalrymen bought the schnapps and started to drink.
Soon afterwards, some infantry crossed the river. When they saw the party going on, the infantry demanded alcohol for themselves. The hussars refused to give them any of the schnapps, and while still drunk, they set up makeshift fortifications around the barrels. A heated argument ensued, and one soldier fired a shot.
Immediately, the hussars and infantry engaged in combat with one another. During the conflict, some infantry began shouting "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!"). The hussars fled the scene, thinking that the Ottoman army’s attack was imminent. Most of the infantry also ran away; the army comprised Austrians, Serbs, Croats, and Italians from Lombardy, plus other minorities, many of whom could not understand each other. While it is not clear which one of these groups did so, they gave the false warning without telling the others, who promptly fled. The situation was made worse when officers, in an attempt to restore order, shouted "Halt! Halt!" which was misheard by soldiers with no knowledge of German as "Allah! Allah!".[dubious – discuss][citation needed]
As the cavalry ran through the camps, a corps commander[who?] reasoned that it was a cavalry charge by the Ottoman army, and ordered artillery fire. Meanwhile, the entire camp awoke to the sound of battle and, rather than waiting to see what the situation was, everyone fled. The troops fired at every shadow, thinking the Ottomans were everywhere; in reality they were shooting fellow Austrian soldiers. The incident escalated to the point where the whole army retreated from the imaginary enemy, and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek.[citation needed]
Two days later, the Ottoman army arrived. They discovered dead and wounded soldiers and easily took Karánsebes.[citation needed]

Army of 100,000 strong routed itself because some assholes on horses refused to share some liquor with the ground pounders. God I love history.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 23, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

limp_cheese posted:

I get that I most assuredly got the names of the sides wrong, I just threw those in there as placeholders instead of saying Army A and Army B. I'm also going off a memory of a story I read a long time ago and figured I would ask the thread in case it was a fever dream of some sort.

Edit:

That's the one. I love that it was so much more hosed up than I imagined.

[qoute=Wikipeida]
Different portions of an Austrian army, which were scouting for forces of the Ottoman Empire, fired on each other by mistake, causing self-inflicted decimation. The battle took place on the night of 21–22 September 1788. The Ottomans took advantage and captured the city.
The army of Austria, approximately 100,000 strong, was setting up camp around the town of Karánsebes (now Caransebeș, in modern Romania). The army's vanguard, a contingent of hussars, crossed the Timiș River nearby to scout for the presence of the Ottoman Turks. There was no sign of the Ottoman army, but the hussars did run into a group of Tzigani, who offered to sell schnapps to the war-weary soldiers. The cavalrymen bought the schnapps and started to drink.
Soon afterwards, some infantry crossed the river. When they saw the party going on, the infantry demanded alcohol for themselves. The hussars refused to give them any of the schnapps, and while still drunk, they set up makeshift fortifications around the barrels. A heated argument ensued, and one soldier fired a shot.
Immediately, the hussars and infantry engaged in combat with one another. During the conflict, some infantry began shouting "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!"). The hussars fled the scene, thinking that the Ottoman army’s attack was imminent. Most of the infantry also ran away; the army comprised Austrians, Serbs, Croats, and Italians from Lombardy, plus other minorities, many of whom could not understand each other. While it is not clear which one of these groups did so, they gave the false warning without telling the others, who promptly fled. The situation was made worse when officers, in an attempt to restore order, shouted "Halt! Halt!" which was misheard by soldiers with no knowledge of German as "Allah! Allah!".[dubious – discuss][citation needed]
As the cavalry ran through the camps, a corps commander[who?] reasoned that it was a cavalry charge by the Ottoman army, and ordered artillery fire. Meanwhile, the entire camp awoke to the sound of battle and, rather than waiting to see what the situation was, everyone fled. The troops fired at every shadow, thinking the Ottomans were everywhere; in reality they were shooting fellow Austrian soldiers. The incident escalated to the point where the whole army retreated from the imaginary enemy, and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek.[citation needed]
Two days later, the Ottoman army arrived. They discovered dead and wounded soldiers and easily took Karánsebes.[citation needed][/qoute]

Army of 100,000 strong routed itself because some assholes on horses refused to share some liquor with the ground pounders. God I love history.

None of that happened, unfortunately. On the talk page some Wikipedia editors actually found contemporary accounts of the battle and they're completely different. One account from the Erlangen Real Zeitung translates like this:

quote:

"On the 21st the army left its camp near Illova in 2 columns [and headed] for Caransebes. When the rear guard of the 2nd column fell back, there arose a false alarm, and when the pickets fired, such confusion gripped the army's baggage train that had been sent ahead towards Caransebes that the teamsters, packers, and grooms hurriedly fled, the lashings of the pack horses slipped off, loads and baggage were thrown, and other such disorder began. Because some wagons had become lost [and were] out of sight of the column, not all of the lost baggage could be collected, but order was re-established and the march resumed. Meanwhile, the other column had traveled as far as Caransebes in complete order, and its rear guard had held off the advancing enemy with every step. The cavalry, supported by the infantry, often attacked [the enemy] and always drove it back with losses. Near Caransebes the Turks attacked a hussar regiment, and as this [regiment] fell back, [the Turks] reached Caransebes. Their infantry crept up to the first houses, began to set them afire, but our infantry drove them [back], whereupon the Turks returned to Armeniș. Our losses among the rear guard may amount to 150 men, dead and wounded. The enemy's losses are considerable. Our cavalry captured 3 banners. On the 22nd, our army moved into camp near Sacu, without seeing the enemy."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

None of that happened, unfortunately. On the talk page some Wikipedia editors actually found contemporary accounts of the battle and they're completely different. One account from the Erlangen Real Zeitung translates like this:

Well that's disappointing. I'm sure something like the original bullshit story has happened somewhere during history albeit at a smaller size. It just seems like something that would happen because large groups of humans can get caught in a panic loop. Oh well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Well that's disappointing. I'm sure something like the original bullshit story has happened somewhere during history albeit at a smaller size. It just seems like something that would happen because large groups of humans can get caught in a panic loop. Oh well.

Closest I can think of is Oda Nobunaga's dusk rainstorm ambush at Okehazama. After invading the camp and starting the attack, the enemy commander came out of his tent to yell at the officers, assuming that his men had gotten drunk and rowdy.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The whole way that the mythical narrative of karansebes has spread itself is a cool lesson of historiography in online pop culture. There's been hundreds of clickbait articles, reddit TILs, and older nerd site references of Karansebes, all because some some guy wrote a wiki article using a bad source ~10 years ago. I'm pretty sure that a few thread iterations ago, we were talking about it on the milhist thread too.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 23rd Nov 1917 posted:

2.30 pm. Artillery fired practice rounds for S.O.S. Barrage. These fell well clear of our outpost line about the line of the BASSEVILLEBEEK. Enemy made no reply.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

Bullshit stories are sadly very common. My favorite story is the one were French soldiers during the 7 Years War terrorize a German village, and get their comeuppance after they find a wine cellar. They just excitedly open all the barrels and drink and drink and drink

Later, their wine soaked corpses are found floating in the now flooded cellar.

Probably never happened, but this story was apparently known enough to be put into song by some weirdo I never ever heard off before and after. (I have to see if I can find his CD again, he also had some songs about witchery, I think.)

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Libluini posted:

Bullshit stories are sadly very common. My favorite story is the one were French soldiers during the 7 Years War terrorize a German village, and get their comeuppance after they find a wine cellar. They just excitedly open all the barrels and drink and drink and drink

Later, their wine soaked corpses are found floating in the now flooded cellar.

Probably never happened, but this story was apparently known enough to be put into song by some weirdo I never ever heard off before and after. (I have to see if I can find his CD again, he also had some songs about witchery, I think.)

You hear the exact same stories about the October Revolution soldiers looting the wine cellars of aristocrats in St. Petersburg.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ithle01 posted:

You hear the exact same stories about the October Revolution soldiers looting the wine cellars of aristocrats in St. Petersburg.

And even in WWII, just with Russian soldiers entering Germany. It is a surprisingly common story with a lot of variations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've heard it claimed that two entire battalions of the Finnish army stumbled across a supply depot and drunk themselves useless when they tried to drive the Germans out of Tornio in October 1944. :finland:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SKY BOXES: Air Transports in the Second World War

1. Ju 52

2. German Gliders

3. Fw 200 Condor - Bird with a Glass beak

First flew: 1937

Empty Weight: 17,005 kg (37,490 lb)

Max Takeoff Weight: 22,714 kg (50,057 lb)

Range: 3,560 km (2,212 mi)

Cruising speed: 280 to 297 km/h

Number built: 276 - 263 'C' militarized version, remainder 'B' Airliner version

The Fw 200 is a bit odd as a freight-and-people hauler. It was designed as a cutting edge civilian airliner, with no thought to military service. When the war happened, it was drafted - as a stopgap long range naval reconnaissance aircraft and naval bomber. After a period of great success, the Condor's fortunes slowly waned. While it had emergency spurts as a transport, the type only really reverted to the role in the summer of 1943, when KG 40, the squadron that used the Condor as a bomber, finally threw in the towel.

The First Condor. It would be ditched in the Philippine sea while trying to break a round the world flight record. The crew would be rescued.

A Condor C series, in service with KG 40. (Their logo was a globe with Britain and a Condor flying around it.)

The Condor was first commissioned by Lufthansa in the mid 1930s. Lufthansa by the early 1930s was a major airline in Europe, and had branched out into ambitious international operations as well. These included flying London to Berlin via the lovable and insane G.38 airliners and connecting South America in 1934 by regular air mail service with strategically placed ships flinging aloft float-planes. Lufthansa was very interested in pioneering new long-distance airline routes, and commissioned most of Germany's resurgent aircraft makers to build long range airliners/transports of different configurations. By cleverly hedging their technological bets, they hoped to have several aircraft types to cover these new routes, regardless of what configuration proved to be champion. Focke-Wulf was commissioned to develop a high tech long range airliner - what would be the Fw 200. Junkers would develop a wide-body airliner - the Ju 90. Blohm und Voss would develop a floatplane, the HA 139 and a large flying boat, the BV 222. (Ironically this clever hedging was absolutely forbidden when it came to strategic bombers - and Lufthansa had its CEO, Ernst Milch, as a senior official in the RLM.)

Lufthansa Fw 200 warming up.

Focke-Wulf's chief engineer, Kurt Tank, would design a brilliant airliner. Where as long over water routes were typically flown by flying boats, Tank decided to build a faster, more efficient landplane to fly those same routes. Using the latest techniques in unibody construction and stressed aluminum skin, the Fw 200 was designed for range reasons to fly about as high as a unpressurized aircraft could comfortably fly - around 20,000 ft. The wings, similarly were designed for maximum efficiency at cruising altitude.

Passenger capacity is quoted as "30 fully armed troops in transport mode" - about the same as a DC-3. Where the Fw 200 could tell the DC-3 to eat poo poo was range - 3,560 km to 2,400 km, 1/3rd greater. The production version of the Condor - named thanks to the large wings - would use four Bramo 323 radials making about 1200 hp each.

A section of the passenger compartment. As you can see, it looks pretty modern.

The first prototype Fw 200 had flown in October 1937 with Tank himself at the controls. Lufthansa loved the new airplane, buying the prototype and the next few production prototypes after the first flight. Partially to advertise the new airliner and partially to demonstrate Aryan engineering might, the new plane was involved in several record breaking flights in 1938, first flying from Germany to Cairo nonstop, and then becoming the first plane to fly nonstop from Berlin to New York. Denmark and Brazil would buy Fw 200s to use on long range routes. Finland as well would order 2, but these were undelivered at the start of the war, and were absorbed into the Luftwaffe. Japan ordered ten - to be used as long range naval scouts. These ten at the start of the war were discovered by the Luftwaffe, then in a desperate search for an aircraft to provide long range naval reconnaissance for its U-boats. These scouts were impressed into the Luftwaffe, and the Fw 200 C series was born. The C-series was the naval recon flyer, of which virtually all Fw 200s were built as. They contained internal tankage which could be removed, allowing the type to return to its transport form. Most of the Fw 200s of Lufthansa were drafted as well, and were known as Fw 200 Bs. (God only knows why, but the A series was the prototype run.) KG 40 would initially have major success attacking merchant ships in the Atlantic with the Condor.

Internal fuel tanks of the Marine Bomber/recon version. I think they are all slanted to make sure they completely drain themselves. The longest flight by a Fw 200 was to the coast of Greenland, to assist a Kriegsmarine weather vessel. The extra range was gotten by carrying two additional fuel drums which were fed into the system. As an ad-hoc method it alright, but tanks had to be emptied in a specific order or else it'd screw up an aircraft's trim.

Focke Wulf would disperse Fw 200 manufacturing around Cottbus, making it less vulnerable to attack and increasing production, but by the time production increased it was 1942, and it was clear that the Condor's time as a bomber and scout was limited to the time the Luftwaffe could find a replacement. This being the Third Reich, that was a long time coming, and KG 40 had to take heavy losses in 1943 before attacking was given up. As with many other Luftwaffe types, the Fw 200 was rejiggered to launch HS 293 gliding bombs, but had little success in this area, apparently. As a transport, the Fw 200 was fast [compared to the Ju 52, anyway] and long legged, but had not been developed to be produced with the brutalist simplicity that the Nazis usually had in their aircraft, and so could only supplement other types of sky truck.

A converted Fw 200 C series airliner.

With that, the Fw 200 returned to transport duties. It had already seen service in the Stalingrad airlift, (KG 40 was given the emergency reassignment, and that's how a aircraft stationed normally stationed in France ended up being captured by the Soviets and put on display) and was likely used at least occasionally on the North Africa Run. As with most capable transports in late war Germany, it was drawn in to the Reich's downfall, either evacuating people to Spain or sending people and papers to the Bavarian Alps, where the Reich planned to make its stand. In fact, the last aircraft to attempt to evacuate Berlin was a Fw 200 - it was badly overloaded and crashed on takeoff, killing many of its passengers.

The long range of the Fw 200 also saw it used by intelligence services for covert missions behind enemy lines. A Fw 200 was shot down in 1943 over Iraq, engaged in some poo poo-disturbing with the local population. The Fw 200 also served as a VIP transport: the Molotov- Ribbintrop pact saw Ribbentrop commuting in a Fw 200. Hitler, Dontiz, and your second worst Tinder date Heinrich Himmler all had personal Fw 200s, making it the chariot of the clods, I guess. Both Himmler and Hitler had some sort of armored easy chair/ special ejection capsule built into theirs, because of course they did.

Hitler's seat of power on his aircraft, Immelmann III. I've been trying to think of a joke for five minutes, the best I have is "the Wolves' easy chair."

Hitler vising troops in the Ukraine. In some ways, 'Hitler's visiting' was very much like Beatlemania!

Fw 200 in Spanish service.

Post War Use: Some.

Spain and Portugal occasionally saw an Fw 200 emergency landing/crash, which at first saw the aircraft and crews returned when possible. Later, only the crews were returned. Spain collected four Condors after a raid against American forces landing in Casablanca. The crews were allowed to go back to Germany, with the machines sold to Spain. Three of them were in flying condition, and served with the Spanish Air Force (quite likely as transports) for several years after the war. The British managed to capture Himmler's Fw 200 and used it as a transport for an unspecified post war time- hopefully for hauling aid to holocaust victims, or maybe for hauling livestock with digestive tract ailments to vets in Britain. Amazingly, the Brazilian Fw 200s kept flying until 1947. The Soviet Union too made use of any captured Fw 200s they could lay their hands on, which may explain why the last accident involving a Fw 200 happened at a Yakutsk airport in 1950. As spare parts became unavailable, these Soviet Condors were withdrawn and scrapped. No Fw 200s exist today, though Lufthansa is restoring a Fw 200 C one back to civilian colors.

Captured British Condor.

This is a captured Fw 200 in Soviet service.

Here's a 8 minute film in Russian (I presume) of captured German equipment on a summer day in Moscow in 1943. The Condor is the largest aircraft there - and still has its KG 40 logo.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 24, 2017

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Isn't there one where the English give a fleet to a General, not an Asmiral, and tell him to raid the Spanish Treasure Fleets? If I remember right he was hit by a couple of storms almost immediately, missed the fleets by a few days, eventually landed his troops in Spain to try and assault a fort and succeeds in taking the fort. At which point he realizes he has no food or water, but there is a gently caress ton of wine in the fort and his men have to drink something. The men get plastered and when the Spanish come back they take the fort with little difficulty.

The General manages to escape with some of his ships and sails back to England, but not before getting hit by another storm. He gets back to England with a fraction of the men and ships he left with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That sort of actually happened.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

Isn't there one where the English give a fleet to a General, not an Asmiral, and tell him to raid the Spanish Treasure Fleets? If I remember right he was hit by a couple of storms almost immediately, missed the fleets by a few days, eventually landed his troops in Spain to try and assault a fort and succeeds in taking the fort. At which point he realizes he has no food or water, but there is a gently caress ton of wine in the fort and his men have to drink something. The men get plastered and when the Spanish come back they take the fort with little difficulty.

The General manages to escape with some of his ships and sails back to England, but not before getting hit by another storm. He gets back to England with a fraction of the men and ships he left with.

i got you fam

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

That's the one, thanks.

Edit:
That actually brings another question to mind, how did returning veterans cope with fighting in fruitless wars or ones in which they got decimated? I know the usual things of drugs and alcohol, but how often were they able to turn the public at large into not supporting the war? Is this even something people cared about or was it just seen at the time as the norm? I'm interested in any period of history and understand "norms" have always changed.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 24, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Without houses, the House of Habsburg is just 'Habs' because you can't have a burg without buildings.

and without hapsburgs i can't spend my time hapsperging out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

limp_cheese posted:

That's the one, thanks.

Edit:
That actually brings another question to mind, how did returning veterans cope with fighting in fruitless wars or ones in which they got decimated? I know the usual things of drugs and alcohol, but how often were they able to turn the public at large into not supporting the war? Is this even something people cared about or was it just seen at the time as the norm? I'm interested in any period of history and understand "norms" have always changed.
well, the "public" sort of post-dates my period, so...