Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Starcraft was weird because they just filed the numbers off of Starship Troopers for their world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Starcraft is a conglomeration of 80s sci fi action movies that Blizzard employees liked. That's why every other terran unit quotes Aliens

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Badactura posted:

Starcraft is a conglomeration of 80s sci fi action movies that Blizzard employees liked. That's why every other terran unit quotes Aliens

Aliens is properly good, but people who quote it are on the bad nerd axis.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nintendo was right to stop that Smash Brothers tournament.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Disco Pope posted:

Disco Pope died on the way up to the Rodger Young

(am I doing this right?)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tyranids ripped off Starship Troopers and Alien, zerg merely ripped off tyranids.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Disco Pope posted:

Dead or alive, we're the real aliens, Mr. Anderson

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

In starship troopers the book the bug aliens had guns and were stand ins for the chinese bc robert Heinlein was super racist. I wish the ppl ripping off starship troopers gave their aliens guns too

Edit: but I would not want them to still be racist stand ins for chinese people

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Badactura posted:

In starship troopers the book the bug aliens had guns and were stand ins for the chinese bc robert Heinlein was super racist. I wish the ppl ripping off starship troopers gave their aliens guns too

I like the chapter that's just straight up the characters attending a lecture about how people who havent served shouldnt have rights and the whole lecture is presented verbatim.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I never got any of that when I read the book. But I mean, he also wrote Sixth Column so it wouldn't be surprising.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Badactura posted:

Tyranids have lots of guns. Warhammer wins again

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always imagined getting into woodworking once I retire, but maybe I'll get super into Warhammer instead. I'm sure a pudgy 55 year old man will be a fun addition to local tournaments.

edit:
I'm sure there's already more than enough 55 year old pudgy Warhammer players.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always imagined getting into woodworking once I retire, but maybe I'll get super into Warhammer instead. I'm sure a pudgy 55 year old man will be a fun addition to local tournaments.

Not that long ago you could prolly make a pretty penny combining them and doing custom tables and terrain for the “computer toucher nerd dad, kids have jobs now” demo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:
I'm sure there's already more than enough 55 year old pudgy Warhammer players.

Dude the game started in 1983, there are plenty

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not that long ago you could prolly make a pretty penny combining them and doing custom tables and terrain for the “computer toucher nerd dad, kids have jobs now” demo

Ha, I saw what happened to that high end gamer table company that Patrick Rothfuss helped start. No thank you. I think either taking hours and hours to paint tiny details on space monster toys or taking hours and hours building ugly heavy furniture for my loved ones as backhanded sentimental Christmas gifts is the way to go.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, I saw what happened to that high end gamer table company that Patrick Rothfuss helped start. No thank you. I think either taking hours and hours to paint tiny details on space monster toys or taking hours and hours building ugly heavy furniture for my loved ones as backhanded sentimental Christmas gifts is the way to go.

holy poo poo I didn't know that was a thing, but counterpoint, it was involved with Patrick Rothfuss.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I am painting Plague Drones right now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Badactura posted:

Two things from the book stand out for me. The public beating of children for minor offenses (like this https://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/27/...%20Michael%20P.)

And the fact that the starship troopers were "on the bounce" dropping micro nukes on the skinnies.

It's basically the scene from Blackhawk Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRhLzL_ZHQ

bet Heinlein jerked it to this one

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

I am painting Plague Drones right now.

Historicals are cool too, you doing AWI, ACW, or WW2 era? :911:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Historicals are cool too, you doing AWI, ACW, or WW2 era? :911:

Modern

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the best lem book isnt solaris, it's fiasco

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Kate Beaton’s Hark! A Vagrant is mediocre, poorly drawn, and barely contains jokes. I’m befuddled by her popularity whenever she comes up and people invariably sing her praises.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Two things from the book stand out for me. The public beating of children for minor offenses (like this https://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/27/...%20Michael%20P.)

And the fact that the starship troopers were "on the bounce" dropping micro nukes on the skinnies.

It's basically the scene from Blackhawk Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRhLzL_ZHQ

bet Heinlein jerked it to this one

I remember the main character enters a building on a the skinny planet and it's full of skinnys and he wonders if it's a bunker or a church or something and tosses a bomb in anyway.

Also fun fact the us soldiers deployed in somalia called the somalis 'skinnies' in reference to the Starship Troopers aliens so it's an appropriate comparison

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Lurk Ethic posted:

Kate Beaton’s Hark! A Vagrant is mediocre, poorly drawn, and barely contains jokes. I’m befuddled by her popularity whenever she comes up and people invariably sing her praises.

I agree, and I feel this way about Nathan W. Pyle's comics too, except that his are far more enragingly stupid than benignly unfunny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyone who says Beaton's stuff is "poorly drawn" reminds me of a guy I knew in like third grade who thought Roco Vargas was extremely badly drawn because "no-one has a chin like that!". That was the first time I ever encountered someone who just didn't get art styles beyond "vagely realistic" and thought that deviation from his preferred style simply meant that the art was badly done without skill. (Also another boy who only read colour comics because black-and-white bored him.)

For reference, this is the work of a completely talentless person:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anyone who says Beaton's stuff is "poorly drawn" reminds me of a guy I knew in like third grade who thought Roco Vargas was extremely badly drawn because "no-one has a chin like that!".

You have a point there. I guess when I agreed with Lurk Ethic, I meant that the art style was simplistic in a way that didn't appeal to me (much like Nathan W. Pyle's). Sarah Andersen's art is completely unrealistic, but I like it, and now I sort of wonder whether I like it on its own or forgive it because I like the comic itself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

You have a point there. I guess when I agreed with Lurk Ethic, I meant that the art style was simplistic in a way that didn't appeal to me (much like Nathan W. Pyle's). Sarah Andersen's art is completely unrealistic, but I like it, and now I sort of wonder whether I like it on its own or forgive it because I like the comic itself.

I know my argument is a semantical one but I just wanted to make it. It's only unpopular on the internet.

Didn't/Hasn't Andersen drawn some pretty "normal" stuff also?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's like with Modern Art stuff. Most of the people who made it can draw really well it's just that isn't the stuff that they want to do/ that invites controversy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

One of the biggest crises America is currently facing is the fact that we are ruled by a gerontocracy who, until recently, were only metaphorically falling apart in front of our very eyes. But now they won't even allow us a metaphor, they're doing it literally

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1336427393272176647?s=20

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anyone who says Beaton's stuff is "poorly drawn" reminds me of a guy I knew in like third grade who thought Roco Vargas was extremely badly drawn because "no-one has a chin like that!". That was the first time I ever encountered someone who just didn't get art styles beyond "vagely realistic" and thought that deviation from his preferred style simply meant that the art was badly done without skill. (Also another boy who only read colour comics because black-and-white bored him.)

For reference, this is the work of a completely talentless person:

I have no problem with indie or stylized art. The studio behind Superjail! is brilliant, for instance. But I don’t think Beaton’s off beat style stands on its own merits, and without (imphuo) good writing to back it up, any of its indie charm is lost on me. I would probably feel the same if I thought Andersen or Shen Comix had weak writing (but I like their stuff).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

all men under 185cm have some form of short man syndrome, either pronounced or latent

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
As a 160cm tall lad - i agree although I'd argue that SMS conveys itself in different ways

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

all men under 185cm have some form of short man syndrome, either pronounced or latent

Well yeah, centimeters are really tiny, that's like five inches?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess if even people who are 5 inches taller than the average male height have short man syndrome we are almost all in this together.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

As a 160cm tall lad - i agree although I'd argue that SMS conveys itself in different ways

yeah there's like The Loyal Squire, the short man who is eager to prove himself to the taller man, but also the Scheming Dwarf

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im a tall guy but i completely lack a competitive streak and ambition and am way too mellow for my own good so i am sometimes jealous of the fastidious diligence and climber's instinct of the short man

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm short and it sucks but all my taller friends have back pain and are starting to go bald

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the short man is efficient and ruthless, being a tall guy is like owning a neo geo instead of a gameboy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

Clever to make this claim in such a way that any attempt to refute it can easily be interpreted as confirming it. Your position is unassailable. And also extremely dumb - but I'm probably just saying that because I'm short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm short and it sucks but all my taller friends have back pain and are starting to go bald

The hair has a longer way to grow out. (Hair is stored in the balls.)