Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Fister Roboto posted:

Got my first win on deity :toot: Scientific victory as the Mayans. Other than sniping a settler from my neighbor Vietnam, struggling with some annoying barbs, and taking out a city state that was in the way of my settlement plans, I was able to just turtle up and research in my happy little hexagon.

Wait you only had one city?

edit: sorry for the retarded pagesnipe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sioux posted:

Wait you only had one city?

edit: sorry for the retarded pagesnipe

Pretty sure they're talking about having a capitol and then six cities in a hexagonal pattern around it as Maya's traits would lead one to have.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah Maya gets +10% to all yields for cities within 6 tiles of the capitol. Ideally you can squeeze 12 cities into a large hex like this:

But usually terrain gets in the way. In my case I only had a bit of ocean in the southwest and a city state in the southeast, so after taking out the CS I was able to get 11 cities up.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah Maya gets +10% to all yields for cities within 6 tiles of the capitol. Ideally you can squeeze 12 cities into a large hex like this:

But usually terrain gets in the way. In my case I only had a bit of ocean in the southwest and a city state in the southeast, so after taking out the CS I was able to get 11 cities up.

You can also cover 10 cities with the Colosseum with this, which is gonna give you some crazy production bonuses.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Terrain, city-states, other civs, or even just wanting to leave enough space to have a high-pop endgame city are enough disruption for me to be happy with a 4-city colosseum.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

You can also cover 10 cities with the Colosseum with this, which is gonna give you some crazy production bonuses.

Yeah unfortunately I missed out on the Colosseum, but I did get Ruhr Valley in my inner northwest city, and then put Magnus there to stack regional factory bonuses. I think I got like +50 production from factories there. Would've been nuts if I had enough room to put it in my capitol.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Ah that's pretty cool, I'll try the Maya in my next playthrough. I played the Vikings in my last game. I also never tried building city after city in any Civ game, usually I build 3 or 4 on the starting island and then all my next cities come through conquest. It'd be interesting to try a peaceful game and focus on building cities that way. Maybe on a higher difficulty, with a massive map with continents and not the max amount of civs like I usually do, but a LOT less so you have room to grow your civ.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sioux posted:

Ah that's pretty cool, I'll try the Maya in my next playthrough. I played the Vikings in my last game. I also never tried building city after city in any Civ game, usually I build 3 or 4 on the starting island and then all my next cities come through conquest. It'd be interesting to try a peaceful game and focus on building cities that way. Maybe on a higher difficulty, with a massive map with continents and not the max amount of civs like I usually do, but a LOT less so you have room to grow your civ.

One interesting gimmick is to play a Terra map as Kupe. Terra gives you 2 landmasses, one has all the civs, the other has all the city states. Kupe gets a water start, just sail in one direction until you find a landmass and settle. If you get the CSs, it's an interesting challenge to settle around them - but you'll eventually run into which civs are leftover that snowballed through the others.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Got another deity win, this time domination as Kublai Khan. Keshigs kick rear end and having +6 combat advantage really blunts the early game difficulty.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shooting Blanks posted:

One interesting gimmick is to play a Terra map as Kupe. Terra gives you 2 landmasses, one has all the civs, the other has all the city states. Kupe gets a water start, just sail in one direction until you find a landmass and settle. If you get the CSs, it's an interesting challenge to settle around them - but you'll eventually run into which civs are leftover that snowballed through the others.

Yeah, it's gimmicky, but really different and interesting. There seems to be a lack of luxury resources in the CS landmass, iirc, which stops it from being a total steamroll.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hello???

Where the gently caress is everyone?!?

jfc finally

Standard size map, never seen a continent this empty.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

at least you are russia. Something similar happened to me but i chose scythia because i wanted to do infinite horse war :negative:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
If I start a game and want to play peaceful, I will be immediately surrounded by Alexander, Amanitore and Shaka.

If I start a game and want to go for a domination victory, I will be on a continent to myself.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Still no news about a Civ 7, huh?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

John F Bennett posted:

Still no news about a Civ 7, huh?

https://x.com/summergamefest/status/1791201250521825718

Maybe wait a week and a half? idk

Secretly I hope it's a new Mafia game

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Civ-style XCOM game

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
XCOM style civ game

Got a 97% chance to unlock Writing, and :rolldice: wtf

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Microplastics posted:

XCOM style civ game

Got a 97% chance to unlock Writing, and :rolldice: wtf

XCOM but you're fighting an ongoing war against the aliens throughout human history.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

GodFish posted:

XCOM but you're fighting an ongoing war against the aliens throughout human history.

That'd be a hella sick concept but you'd need something to excuse why they don't just wipe you out when you're hunter gatherers.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Eimi posted:

That'd be a hella sick concept but you'd need something to excuse why they don't just wipe you out when you're hunter gatherers.

An alien species with lives on the order of 10,000 years when it takes 40,000 years to travel between stars might not take the hunting tribes of bipeds on some backwater planet seriously and then in your grandkids lifetime they suddenly have nuclear weapons.

I’d play it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Or the aliens crash landed and don’t have access to all their technologies and powers. Either way it’d just end up being Civ VI with Alien Gandhi instead of Regular Gandhi.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So basically barbarians who always roll horse archers?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

https://x.com/summergamefest/status/1791201250521825718

Maybe wait a week and a half? idk

Secretly I hope it's a new Mafia game

XCOM or Civ 7 would both be great to get some news on. I have a feeling it's Civ, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Civ 7 on Six/7

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Fister Roboto posted:

Civ 7 on Six/7

oh booo

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Hope they release the full modding tools for this iteration. Vox populi really gave civ v a shot in the arm with longevity by fixing a lot of the AI issues. The strange thing is from what I’ve heard 6 has a very robust modding framework, but for whatever reason they just never released the DLL source code that would have allowed for any AI or deeper level modding

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Assuming this is a Civ 7 announcement, what would everyone like to see added, removed, or kept?

Personally I really don't like 1UPT, it's not that big a deal as I never go for domination but war is integral to the game and I hate the logistical tedium of my army taking up a half-dozen hexes. Don't necessarily need doomstacks back, but maybe like 5UPT or something? Doomstacks would be fine with me though, I always liked making my own :twisted:

I really like how religion turned out by the end of 6, except for combat. Religious combat is dreadful when you only have three religious units.

I thought the government and civics system was great. Reasons to play virtually any of the governments, and while some civics were always trash there were enough situationally useful ones along with the universally good ones to make changing policies frequently an optimal play.

I'd like to see more granular diplomatic stuff added. Bring back vassal states and colonies declaring independence. Basically just bring back Civ 4 diplomacy and foreign relations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Hope they release the full modding tools for this iteration. Vox populi really gave civ v a shot in the arm with longevity by fixing a lot of the AI issues. The strange thing is from what I’ve heard 6 has a very robust modding framework, but for whatever reason they just never released the DLL source code that would have allowed for any AI or deeper level modding

I don't expect that to change for 7, in fact I expect even more lock-down, to sell more DLC and passes

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I don't expect that to change for 7, in fact I expect even more lock-down, to sell more DLC and passes

I’m guessing the unspoken reason that happened with 6 was its extended life cycle? It felt like they were planning to make the modding support as robust or even more so than 5 when the life cycle was going to be the standard 2 expansions. I remember a bunch of mechanics taken straight from civ 4/5 mods

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Districts and natural disasters are the new-to-CiVI systems I’d like to see them keep and expand on. Multiple leaders per Civ is cool too I hope that comes back in a bigger way.

My biggest issue with 6 is really just that they never got the pacing to feel good. Everything was usually way too fast, sometimes too slow, where 5 felt fantastic. Maybe stuff like eureka’s makes that way harder.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drop individual builders/workers and just use a resource pool for building improvements, remove religious units because that micromanagement sucks, make civs play even more distinctly from one another like with the later pool of leaders or the civs expanded mod

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

toasterwarrior posted:

drop individual builders/workers and just use a resource pool for building improvements, remove religious units because that micromanagement sucks, make civs play even more distinctly from one another like with the later pool of leaders or the civs expanded mod

Millennia had a ton of innovations like the improvement system or control click for attacking without moving that would be great to see, though I’m not sure if it was a big profile enough release for civ to crib from. Then again, 6 did incorporate a couple of paradox grand strategy game mechanics so they are probably watching the competition

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
millenia was in fact my source for all those, hah. hope those devs keep working on the game because i really do enjoy it a lot, but you can certainly feel just how low budget production it is. turns out i do want civ's fantastic OSTs and graphics in the end

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The biggest things I want them to keep and expand on are natural disasters and the loyalty system.

I was playing Millennia and leaving a small area between three big cities that I would eventually want to drop an outpost in. Then the AI dropped an outpost there. It really frustrated me because of the border gore and because it was clearly my territory even if my influence hasn't covered it yet. So I hope the loyalty system gets kept or expanded on to encourage more sensible borders.

I know natural disasters get a lot of hate but I like how they make the map feel dynamic and alive rather than just a static grid of production stats. I think it could tie really well into an improvement system to encourage more of a risk reward dynamic by which some improvement chains really amp up the rewards but make you more vulnerable to disasters. It could also work with some more interesting changes to the discontent systems.

I'd like to see the discontent system updated where you get more interesting options that "random barbarians spawn". Cities going independent with low loyalty is a neat feature. I think it would be cool if a disaster or something drove discontent high enough your cities would rebel but also that there's a chance it starts a civil war where they vie for control of your civilization and if they won it forces changes to your government or culture.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The loyalty system is pretty great as-is honestly, it does its purpose of telling the computer to gently caress off with its forward settling. Don't see the need to fiddle with it!

The point about some things feeling too fast is a good one - I've started playing on the next-slowest speed just because of how goddamn fast the eras scream by. Like, a new tech unlocks and before you can even build it and see the effect it's already obsolete, it's madness. Not sure if its eurekas doing it or what. But don't get rid of eurekas, they're great! Any sort of short to mid term goal is greatly appreciated.

re: Natural disasters, I appreciate the idea of having a more lived-in world with real terrain and biology etc... but the disaster system totally sucks, scrapping it is almost a necessity. You can figure out a different geology/ecology system if you must, just not that one.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Unlocking the policy cards every time you research a civic gets old really fast. I like policy cards in theory but the idea that a civilization would wildly careen from free trade to serfdom and back to free trade to optimise builder charges and so on, makes little sense and is really pointless busywork. I hope they think of a happy medium in between civ v's locking in of social policies and the current free switching game.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Serephina posted:

re: Natural disasters, I appreciate the idea of having a more lived-in world with real terrain and biology etc... but the disaster system totally sucks, scrapping it is almost a necessity. You can figure out a different geology/ecology system if you must, just not that one.

all it is currently is a production tax. do you have coastal tiles you need to save? put up barriers. are you on a river? build dam. near a volcano? liang

there's no choice or tradeoff. no strategy

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Assuming this is a Civ 7 announcement, what would everyone like to see added, removed, or kept?

I've been playing this series since Civ 1 and I have a short list! I'm sure my opinions will be unpopular, but that's fine.

1UPT can stay, I don't mind it.

Actual revolutions, rebellions and breakaway countries, instead of the half-assed revolution mechanic we have now.

I'm over districts, but I wouldn't mind a different concept of expanded cities.

Make war less binary, have something between peace and hot war.

Get rid of governors and all other 'arcadey' mechanics (eureka's etc), make the game serious again. The game has too much 'videogame busywork'.

Real diplomacy, with an AI that can use it!

Real alliances/blocs/..., with actual names.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

undo button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I did not like Eurekas, made every game samey with the same build order to try and maximize the benefits.

I didn't like governors either for the similar reasons, just the same governors with the same skills in the same types of cities.

Districts were good but I wouldn't be sad if they went back to the old system