Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

No, that's a good expenditure of time. It makes your stew taste deeper and richer.

What you do is what I do. I don't think there's a better way. Maybe if you make a reduction of whatever flavoring then just stir it into the onions at the end it might be better?

Yeah, I will try it that way next time.

Scientastic posted:

...then deglaze with your onions, peppers etc.

I do it that way sometimes, it just depends. Sometimes I use leftover meat or ham which is already cooked or browned. The one issue I run into when deglazing is it makes the onions tough, I'm looking for a way around that. I can cook them soft again but then I need to deglaze again. I will try SymmetryrtemmyS suggestion.

Fo3 posted:

Do you mean sweat them on low heat for 40min until they taste sweet, or just putting some colour on them?

Yeah, most of the time I'm just browning/softening the onions but sometimes I do a full on carmelization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I just moved to a city, and a block away is 'Tropical Market'. I have been meaning to go in there for a while, and finally went in today.

As the name alludes to, it's a Caribbean and African market. I cook a lot of all different types of foods, but this is completely new to me. Lots of yams and bean flours, a TON of dried, seemingly blackened fish, some goat, and a lot of things I haven't heard of before. I was going to chat up one of the owners, but I was short on time.

Where do I start for exploring this type of cuisine? Does anyone here do any of this kind of cooking, can familiarize me with the standard pantry and main dishes? Preferred web resources? I'd like to take advantage of this resource which is a block away. I've done jerk before from scratch, but there's way more to this store than jarred jerk seasoning. I bought some plantains and some peanuts and will go back another time.

Also, I did a quick search in GWS and didn't see much on a few keywords.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was cooking boneless skinless chicken breasts earlier, and they rendered a lot more juice than the pre-sliced tenders my fiancee had gotten. The chicken almost got poached. Is that normal? It was delicious. I had forgotten to season until it got in the pan, was that part of it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was cooking boneless skinless chicken breasts earlier, and they rendered a lot more juice than the pre-sliced tenders my fiancee had gotten. The chicken almost got poached. Is that normal? It was delicious. I had forgotten to season until it got in the pan, was that part of it?

Probably just more mass in the pan, so it cooled the pan down more. Don't crowd the pan so much next time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

YggiDee posted:

Dear GWS, how do I Rice? What does it mean if a rice is parboiled? What makes some varieties cook longer? Which kinds are good for what? How cheaply can I get rice without seriously undercutting the quality? Is a rice that cooks in under 20 minutes still a good rice? Does it matter whether it's a long or short grain? Is brown rice superior in every conceivable way? I'm starting on the voyage of low-budget cooking and rice seems like a good option but there's probably at least a dozen varieties at the grocery store and it's slightly overwhelming.

Others have already given good advice, but here's a little more: rice is pretty forgiving. Keep an eye on it while you do other stuff. Taste it if you think it might be done. If it's not done and there's no more water, add a little more, maybe 1/4 cup at a time (I don't even measure this anymore). If it's done and there's still water left, fine, drain it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Planet X posted:

I just moved to a city, and a block away is 'Tropical Market'. I have been meaning to go in there for a while, and finally went in today.

As the name alludes to, it's a Caribbean and African market. I cook a lot of all different types of foods, but this is completely new to me. Lots of yams and bean flours, a TON of dried, seemingly blackened fish, some goat, and a lot of things I haven't heard of before. I was going to chat up one of the owners, but I was short on time.

Where do I start for exploring this type of cuisine? Does anyone here do any of this kind of cooking, can familiarize me with the standard pantry and main dishes? Preferred web resources? I'd like to take advantage of this resource which is a block away. I've done jerk before from scratch, but there's way more to this store than jarred jerk seasoning. I bought some plantains and some peanuts and will go back another time.

That store sounds really cool, I'd like to read some stuff about Caribbean cooking so I hope you get some good replies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Any interesting or tasty combinations for a sandwich using teriyaki sauce as the main...uh, sauce - instead of mustard and mayo and whatever?

I have mainly English/American ingredients in my fridge and pantry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably just more mass in the pan, so it cooled the pan down more. Don't crowd the pan so much next time.

That could be it. I cut up more than intended. The chicken was really tender when I tested it for doneness but it got tougher while it sat. Should I just cook it a bit less next time? I don't want to get salmonella, but it was very hot all the way through, so I feel like I would be safe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Drifter posted:

Any interesting or tasty combinations for a sandwich using teriyaki sauce as the main...uh, sauce - instead of mustard and mayo and whatever?

I have mainly English/American ingredients in my fridge and pantry.

Ham, teriyaki sauce, and a thin slice of pineapple with an egg on a slice of King's Hawaiian.

Teriyaki sauce, grilled tofu, thinly sliced daikon, and green onion.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was cooking boneless skinless chicken breasts earlier, and they rendered a lot more juice than the pre-sliced tenders my fiancee had gotten.

Previously frozen? Also could be the pan wasn't hot enough.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

...it got tougher while it sat. Should I just cook it a bit less next time?

Here is how I cook chicken breasts and mine are tender and juicy. I remove the tender and any oddball bits hanging off. I slice lengthwise holding my knife horizontal to the cutting board so the main part of the breast is about 1" or less thick. The important thing is for it to be the same thickness all the way across. I season and saute in a small amount of olive oil on med-high heat (7 on my electric stove) until the first side is cooked almost halfway, then flip and cook about the same amount of time. Here is the tricky part, I grasp the chicken on one end with tongs and wiggle it up and down, when it feels like rubber I remove it to a plate to rest for 3 or 4 minutes. (I know it sounds dumb but it works) The chicken will continue cooking and be perfectly done when you eat. If you cook until it feels stiff, the chicken will be over done and dry. Now sometimes you can get chicken breast that is just tough and nothing you do will make it tender (well maybe marinate in yogurt). You can tell because a fork won't want to penetrate the raw chicken.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cheap chicken breast, especially frozen, will have lots of water in it.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

spankmeister posted:

Cheap chicken breast, especially frozen, will have lots of water in it.

This. Below a certain pricepoint, chicken doesn't get any cheaper, it just gets more moist. Can be good if you're making a stew, can screw up recipes in other cases.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure if it was previously frozen. I'd check, but I threw out the packaging already. They're from a Sprouts.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, cooking my first real meal for my new girlfriend. Because of our schedules this week, I'm gonna have to cook us lunch. I know she's gonna like anything I make for her, but I want to really knock it out of the park.

Suggestions? She likes everything.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

89 posted:

So, cooking my first real meal for my new girlfriend. Because of our schedules this week, I'm gonna have to cook us lunch. I know she's gonna like anything I make for her, but I want to really knock it out of the park.

Suggestions? She likes everything.

What's your skill level, how much time have got to prep/cook, how much time do you have for lunch, where will you be eating, what do you like to eat?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Scientastic posted:

What's your skill level, how much time have got to prep/cook, how much time do you have for lunch, where will you be eating, what do you like to eat?

I've been cooking for 5 years or so, I feel like cooking is mostly following instructions, so I feel like I can make just about anything. She's probably gonna stay over, so I'd like to maybe have 30-45 minutes of prep/cook time. Cause she's gotta work at 2:30pm. But, I can make a few things ahead of time cause I don't work until 8pm today. We'll be eating at my house and I like just about everything.

I also have an electric pressure cooker that could assist in cook times.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If it's lunch, just make a nice quiche or something. Nothing heavy. You'll have the ingredients to make a frittata for the next morning. :heysexy:

Or make a light pasta dish with scallops and salmon.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You could try your hand at the real, goon-approved carbonara recipe. If you've only had the creamy version, its a real eye-opener.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drifter posted:

If it's lunch, just make a nice quiche or something. Nothing heavy. You'll have the ingredients to make a frittata for the next morning. :heysexy:

Or make a light pasta dish with scallops and salmon.
Or gently caress before eating and then don't worry about how heavy the meal is.

This is a serious suggestion.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Or gently caress before eating and then don't worry about how heavy the meal is.

Yeah this is the pro move right here. I think all married people learn this at some point.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

SubG posted:

Don't worry, it's probably a given.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
DId you guys not read she has to go to work after they eat their lunch? Of COURSE I'd've just recommended the f.b.e (gently caress-before-eating) method, but that's not a thing they have the luxury of at this particular time.

I guess you could always just suck down some go-gurts while you bang, for a quick lunch option.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Planet X posted:

You should maybe talk to the people working there cuz they are exposed to the ingredients and probably the cuisine on a daily basis!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Planet X posted:

I've found some tasty African recipes and pointers at Congo Cookbook, which I would link to if I weren't on my phone. Other than that I haven't branched out much. I would probably ask the people working there - most ethnic food market workers are at least willing to share, and usually pretty enthusiastic. You might get some granny's unbelievably delicious family recipe.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drifter posted:

DId you guys not read she has to go to work after they eat their lunch? Of COURSE I'd've just recommended the f.b.e (gently caress-before-eating) method, but that's not a thing they have the luxury of at this particular time.
I read it, yeah. You telling me you've never hosed on your lunch break?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've found some tasty African recipes and pointers at Congo Cookbook, which I would link to if I weren't on my phone. Other than that I haven't branched out much. I would probably ask the people working there - most ethnic food market workers are at least willing to share, and usually pretty enthusiastic. You might get some granny's unbelievably delicious family recipe.

It's not tropical, but I just had a goat roast slathered in harissa for dinner, and I never would have thought to do that without checking into some Algerian grandma secrets. Talking to people is the best way to learn new stuff - talk to people, goons!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's not tropical, but I just had a goat roast slathered in harissa for dinner, and I never would have thought to do that without checking into some Algerian grandma secrets. Talking to people is the best way to learn new stuff - talk to people, goons!

That sounds delicious and I will have to make it sometime. What did you serve it with?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Reminds me I was meaning to ask about harissa. I got a big batch of it that a friend made and split with me and I don't really know what recipes feature it prominently / would be good for its use (apart from the goat you just mentioned). It's an ingredient / style I've never used and is fairly out of my comfort zone.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That Works posted:

Reminds me I was meaning to ask about harissa. I got a big batch of it that a friend made and split with me and I don't really know what recipes feature it prominently / would be good for its use (apart from the goat you just mentioned). It's an ingredient / style I've never used and is fairly out of my comfort zone.

Taste it and use it like sambal in places where the flavor will go well, which is pretty much everywhere.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That sounds delicious and I will have to make it sometime. What did you serve it with?

I roasted a bunch of tomatoes and onions with it, so I served those on top of rice with the goat. Green beans on the side.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Gonna try cooking squid this evening, specifically this recipe. Anyone got any tips? I've seen in videos you should cut a criss cross pattern in it part way and I've been told that it should only be cooked for like a minute, but that's all I'm really sure about at the moment.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
What condition is your squid in? If it's whole, then it's probably best to find a couple of videos showing you where to cut to remove the tentacles, empty the body and get the membrane off. If they're already cleaned and cut up, then you're good to go. The cross hatching on a body is to keep it flat and make it pretty. It's not strictly necessary for cooking the squid, but it does ensure that the body lays flat to the pan so there's maximum surface contact. That's assuming of course the body hasn't been cut into rings. The amount of time it takes to sear a squid is going to vary according to the size of the beast, but it tends to be short (or very long if braising). You're wanting the tentacles to curl up and the bodies to turn opaque. I'm never worried about getting a caramalisation on the thing, as focusing on that can lead to overcooking the squid. I'd also not worry about undercooking it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Coming off a hard weekend and my gf and I are feeling a little sick. Looking around for a simple, filling but not creamy soup to get us through the next couple days. Just used up the the last of my chicken stock unfortunately.ł

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goodness posted:

Coming off a hard weekend and my gf and I are feeling a little sick. Looking around for a simple, filling but not creamy soup to get us through the next couple days. Just used up the the last of my chicken stock unfortunately.ł

This is super easy, super delicious, and healthy to boot.

Use more garlic (and chipotles).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Speaking of soup, does anyone have a good recipe for Tom Kha? Probably using chicken, so Tom Kha Gai.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

goodness posted:

Get well soon.

alternative soup idea: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5592/hearty-pasta-soup

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any problem with putting some chicken breasts and marinade in a foil pouch and then just throwing the pouch loose in a small slow cooker?

I'm making sure nothing is going to catch on fire or create a singularity or something. It's far easier to clean up for me this way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Time to ask this question again. Any good food/cooking videos or blogs that you would recommend?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Tired Moritz posted:

Time to ask this question again. Any good food/cooking videos or blogs that you would recommend?

I like ChefSteps and Vice's Munchies Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tired Moritz posted:

I really enjoy foodwishes. And also Fast Food My Way of Jacques Pepin fame.