Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

Why use a Leno when Crusty Toothbrush costs 2 points less? Then again CT is situational; just use Backfat instead

Have you SEEN the price of the Hot Carl lately? Even eBay prices on a Crusty Toothbrush are over half the price of the ship itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ummmm I am new and I can't tell if you guys are full of poo poo or that I will never learn the dumb lingo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Raged posted:

Ummmm I am new and I can't tell if you guys are full of poo poo or that I will never learn the dumb lingo

They're full of poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Personally I'm taking the piss out of people who dislike the nicknames, because I like the nicknames I think they're fun.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm fine with nicknames if you say what the actual name is, or if it's obvious enough that even a new player would get it.

I don't care if that defeats the purpose. :colbert:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Guess the actual list and you win a prize. Think MWG, be specific. One guess per person because I don't want to go pick out a prize unless I have to.

3.16 Decimals · Skylines
Park Pervert (4)
Ian Bag (5)
John Trap(4)
Tacticool Dancer (1)
· Red Beardless (3)
Strangelove(1)
CIA (1)
· I Ain't Scared (2)

Nerd Shuttle: · Data's Lover
Lightning Waffles (1)
Guy Dances With Chimps (0)
· Toe Filer (2)
· Big Daddy (3)
· Tractor (3)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh man are people salty about the 20-point elite generic Striker. They can't run five with Crack Shot so apparently it's garbage?

lol I loving called it

I've already got my 5x Interceptor lists there's no reason for me to go balls-deep with the newest S&M fad

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh man are people salty about the 20-point elite generic Striker. They can't run five with Crack Shot so apparently it's garbage?
People getting flashbacks to gerenic X-Wings right...about...NOW!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm trying to find a good reason to use Scaro Plank in the Quad Jumper, some limited Wedge defence and maybe occasionally get 1 extra dice. Doesn't seem that great.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The Black Sq. Scout is 20 points because it's more flexible due to the EPT? I mean if it was 19 points then it was just going to be Crackshot Strikers everywhere?

I'm still not convinced that the generic Strikers won't suffer from Interceptor syndrome, especially seeing it's got 2 greens and no shields

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Swapping the cardboard back and forth into the plastic dials is a pain in the rear end and not worth it. Just stick your three favorite ones in there.

Counterpoint: the space savings of all your dials only being 1/3 as thick makes swapping the cardboard back and forth totally worth it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Panzeh posted:

They're full of poo poo.

hey my nicknames were legit

Bo Peep; sheep

sheep; lamb

lamb; Lambda

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Aramoro posted:

I'm trying to find a good reason to use Scaro Plank in the Quad Jumper, some limited Wedge defence and maybe occasionally get 1 extra dice. Doesn't seem that great.

He basically tells tractor beans to gently caress off, which can be useful.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Guess the actual list and you win a prize. Think MWG, be specific. One guess per person because I don't want to go pick out a prize unless I have to.

3.16 Decimals · Skylines
Park Pervert (4)
Ian Bag (5)
John Trap(4)
Tacticool Dancer (1)
· Red Beardless (3)
Strangelove(1)
CIA (1)
· I Ain't Scared (2)

Nerd Shuttle: · Data's Lover
Lightning Waffles (1)
Guy Dances With Chimps (0)
· Toe Filer (2)
· Big Daddy (3)
· Tractor (3)

I feel like I've got part of it but I'm going to lose my mind if I stare any further down this rabbit hole. So gently caress it.

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Ion Torpedoes (5)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Bombardier (1)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Tactical Jammer (1)
Dauntless (2)

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Flechette Cannon (2)
Darth Vader (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
ST-321 (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You're so close.

U-Wing: · Heff Tobber (24)
Fire Control System (2)
Tactical Jammer (1)
· Cassian Andor (2)
· "Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Pivot wing (0)

X-Wing: · Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)
· R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

X-Wing: · Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
· R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

U-wing feels kinda fragile even with the title. Then again, it doesn't have to last long with Wes and Wedge going to town.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 15, 2016

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I figured a couple were still off.

Some of those were inspired I have to say.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Recoome posted:

The Black Sq. Scout is 20 points because it's more flexible due to the EPT? I mean if it was 19 points then it was just going to be Crackshot Strikers everywhere?

I'm still not convinced that the generic Strikers won't suffer from Interceptor syndrome, especially seeing it's got 2 greens and no shields

It will suffer from interceptor syndrome.

It's clearly priced to avoid 5 with crack. And that bugs me, because 5 with crack wouldn't be in any way OP. It bugs me more perhaps because of the way the TIE FIghter is priced - 12/13/14 points for PS1/3/4w/EPT.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bo peeps is a great nickname and an excellent byob poster. I don't know why space cow caught on since there are any number of slow creatures the lambda shuttle's movement dial mimicked. It had a 3-dice attack too so it wasn't some lame herbivore.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Majestic Void Manatee please.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it looks like a swan to me

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'll correct myself and say it could've been named a more apt herbivore like maybe a rhino or ankylosaurus.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
white swan for lambda, black swan for upsilon!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I just call it 'Lambda', because that takes just as long to say/type as 'space cow'.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
my lady friend mispronounces it as Lambada and it's adorable

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My Xwing buddy Corbeau also says Lambada.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

And that bugs me, because 5 with crack wouldn't be in any way OP.

I don't know about that, as 15 red dice that can cancel 5 evade dice total strikes me as crazy powerful. Hell, that would be up to 20 red dice if they could get to range 1 (which probably won't be hard given the title) on the first engagement.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

My Xwing buddy Corbeau also says Lambada.

:3::hf::3:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't know about that, as 15 red dice that can cancel 5 evade dice total strikes me as crazy powerful. Hell, that would be up to 20 red dice if they could get to range 1 (which probably won't be hard given the title) on the first engagement.

4 hull, 2 green crit magnets with only one mod to their name. I'd expect to lose at least one before shooting in most engagements. It's a different swarm, and a much more alpha-y swarm, but I don't feel like it would be unbalanced.

I can understand the reticence, especially after Scouts, but it still bothers me.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 15, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

4 hull, 2 green crit magnets with only one mod to their name. I'd expect to lose at least one before shooting in most engagements. It's a different swarm, and a much more alpha-y swarm, but I don't feel like it would be unbalanced.

I can understand the reticence, especially after Scouts, but it still bothers me.

They'd completely destroy anything of equal or lower PS, invalidating pretty much every other generic in the game (there are a few exceptions like Glaives).

And higher PS stuff is expensive; the fewer guns the opponent has, the less likely they are to kill one before something gets wiped off the map.

These things would be capable of killing almost any large-based ship in a single round.

There's no way 15-20 red dice (with 5 crackshots) would be balanced.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

They'd completely destroy anything of equal or lower PS, invalidating pretty much every other generic in the game (there are a few exceptions like Glaives).

And higher PS stuff is expensive; the fewer guns the opponent has, the less likely they are to kill one before something gets wiped off the map.

These things would be capable of killing almost any large-based ship in a single round.

There's no way 15-20 red dice (with 5 crackshots) would be balanced.

Probably the same reason why in the core set, the cheapest X Wing is just barely too expensive to field 5 of.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Probably the same reason why in the core set, the cheapest X Wing is just barely too expensive to field 5 of.

That was the logic way back when, but the Cartel Marauder and Zealous Recruit prove it was bollocks. Or at least, that it is bollocks today.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

That was the logic way back when, but the Cartel Marauder and Zealous Recruit prove it was bollocks. Or at least, that it is bollocks today.

Yeah, FFG was pretty bad at pointing ships when they began making this game and the T-65 still suffers from it.

The T-65, Kihrakz, and Protectorate PS2 generics all pretty much sit at the uncomfortable 17-18 point value range. If the T-65 had a 0 point astromech it would probably be worth 20 with IA. Then again, even perennial efficient ships like the Bandit/Binayre/Blue Squadron Pilot have all fallen off.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Poopy Palpy posted:

Counterpoint: the space savings of all your dials only being 1/3 as thick makes swapping the cardboard back and forth totally worth it.

Any tips on getting the old dials apart again without mangling them in the process?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Slide a butterknife in between the halves and gently lever them apart.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

wedge an x-acto knife blade between the plastic and cardboard part and you can pry it loose enough to fit either a finger nail or small flathead screwdriver in.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

it looks like a swan to me

Doesn't look like anything at all.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm sorry you don't have any imagination friend

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

i'm sorry you don't have any imagination friend

Thats what you pay for when you visit WangWorld

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a kind of an off topic question about gaming shop etiquette.

When you play regularly at a shop(especially a non chain shop) do you buy all of your stuff from the shop even though they are 10-20% more expensive than an online shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I buy everything at my FLGS because I play there but they charge 10% under MSRP and have a rewards program.

A bunch of people are about to say they buy a snack or a drink every so often and buy their minis on Miniature Market, as if that will keep the place they play afloat.

• Locked thread