Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

thanks to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso i know he's boarding incorrectly :eng101:

I don't think that applies here. Unlike boarding a train from the ground, he doesn't have any room to move along the ship's direction of travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

thanks to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso i know he's boarding incorrectly :eng101:

This guy's demonstrations are pretty OSHA in and of themselves.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Would spraying the area down with fire houses, just throwing all the water they got at the lava, maybe slow it down a little?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
pretty sure the water would just evaporate with very little effect at all on the 700-1200c surface temperature of lava

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

700-1200c? that seems too hot...

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/993872869502390277

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Would spraying the area down with fire houses, just throwing all the water they got at the lava, maybe slow it down a little?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghl33n26d44

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Not lava, but similar scenario.

quote:

On 20 July 1981, 24-year-old David Allen Kirwan from La Cañada, California, was driving through Yellowstone’s Fountain Paint Pot thermal area with his friend Ronald Ratliff and Ratliff’s dog Moosie. At about 1:00 P.M. they parked their truck to get out and take a closer look at the hot springs; Moosie escaped from the truck, ran towards nearby Celestine Pool (a thermal spring whose water temperature has been measured at over 200°), jumped in, and began yelping.
Kirwan and Ratliff rushed over to the pool to aid the terrified dog, and Kirwan’s attitude indicated he was about to go into the spring after it. According to bystanders, several people tried to warn Kirwan off by yelling at him not to jump in, but he shouted “Like hell I won’t!” back at them, took two steps into the pool, and then dove head-first into the boiling spring.
Kirwan swam out to the dog and attempted to take it to shore; he then disappeared underwater, let go of the dog, and tried to climb out of the pool. Ratliff helped pull Kirwan out of the hot spring (resulting in second-degree burns to his own feet), and another visitor led Kirwan to the sidewalk as he reportedly muttered, “That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did.”

Kirwan was indeed in very bad shape. He was blind, and when another park visitor tried to remove one of his shoes, his skin (which was already peeling everywhere) came off with it. He sustained third-degree burns to 100% of his body, including his head, and died the following morning at a Salt Lake City hospital. (Moosie did not survive, either.)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That inspired some curiosity, and I'm having some nostalgia for my Uni days, so I looked up some numbers:
Some assumptions: Lava surface temp is 1,000 C, Steam rising away from the lava will be 200C
Specific heat (kJ/kgK), rounded to two sig figs of:
H2O: 4.2
Steam: 2.0
lava: .84
And the latent heat of vaporization of water is 2.2 MJ/kg.

For every litre of 25C water you chuck at the lava, that boils off at 200C steam, you take away how much temp?

I forgot I needed to know the latent heat for solidifying lava, since that's the goal, to stop it flowing. First loving google hit brings this, which is all the work done. God loving damnit.

tldr: 250+ litres of water to cool a kg of lava down. Those lava flows are big&heavy, so no, not viable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

tldr: 250+ litres of water to cool a kg of lava down. Those lava flows are big&heavy, so no, not viable.

It... can be done (on a limited scale) once the lava gets close enough for you to make direct use of seawater. You need enormous pumps though.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1997/of97-724/methods.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The goal isn’t to solidify all the lava, it’s to form a levee of solid rock that forces to rest of the lava to go somewhere preferable.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The goal isn’t to solidify all the lava, it’s to form a levee of solid rock that forces to rest of the lava to go somewhere preferable.

What if you like, nuke the volcano with the biggest hydrogen bomb known to man? man

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GotLag posted:

I don't think that applies here. Unlike boarding a train from the ground, he doesn't have any room to move along the ship's direction of travel.

it's more just the foot he plants first, he'd want to go left foot first and back so that it wedges instead of right foot to the front where there's slip potential

spankmeister posted:

This guy's demonstrations are pretty OSHA in and of themselves.

this thread is where i saw it first yeah

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Memento posted:

This is a thought experiment I came up with* to run with some 2nd year geoscience students who had just had a semester of igneous petrology and volcanism. "Why can't we drill into the side of a volcano to let the pressure out so that instead of a catastrophic eruption, we get a controlled release of pressure?"

The answer I wanted them to come with was "because releasing the pressure on a magma chamber is like opening a bottle of fizzy drink that has been shaken up - when you release the pressure, all of the volatiles exsolve out at once and instead of an eruption, you get an explosion". It's what caused Mount St. Helens to blow its top like it did - there was an inflation of the magma chamber that caused half a hillside to fall off, and once that happened there wasn't enough confining pressure to keep the volatile gases dissolved in the magma so they all boiled out at once.

*I'm sure I'm not the only one to come up with it

why couldn't you poke a few tiny holes into the part of the chamber that has gas (assuming it's not literally 100% magma), and run some turbines off the high pressure gas that comes out? You might even be able to burn it afterwards to get even more power!

Exactly like slightly cracking the seal on a soda bottle and using that pressure to spin a little generator, except big! Tons of free safe energy!

I think this can work fine, you just need a quick release so everyone can book it with the equipment in case the mountain gets grumpy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

coke posted:

What if you like, nuke the volcano with the biggest hydrogen bomb known to man? man

itt we binge watch some syfy original movies

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Renegret posted:

itt we binge watch some syfy original movies

Sharknado 3: Nukano

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hobnob posted:

Sharcano

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tristesse posted:

Yeeeaaaaahh... When I was 5 I was pushed down an escalator by some random guy. I feel down exactly 4 steps before my dad caught me but pretty much every patch of exposed skin on my arms and legs was scraped really badly and I got bruised all to hell. On top of that it fed a phobia of escalators that I didn't get over until I was 12.

I think that phobia might be back.

did your dad murder that guy?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hobnob posted:

You made me look this up and now everyone must suffer this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharknado_(film_series)

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

How’s SpaceX’s proportionate safety record compared to NASA? They’re still pretty new to this and I think NASA blew up a ton of stuff in their early days.

i have a friend who works at spacex and he said elon musk is an idiot with too much money and not a lot of business or managerial sense so pretty much every department is run by a crooked manager cutting corners and pocketing whatever they can and with stuff like the tesla factory not having safety lines drawn and underreporting their incidents im sure spacex labs are just as dangerous

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I visited the Big Island last year, and saw where the lava flows into the ocean creating an amazing steam cloud. You really can't imagine how much energy is in lava.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blast of Confetti posted:

i have a friend who works at spacex and he said elon musk is an idiot with too much money and not a lot of business or managerial sense so pretty much every department is run by a crooked manager cutting corners and pocketing whatever they can and with stuff like the tesla factory not having safety lines drawn and underreporting their incidents im sure spacex labs are just as dangerous

Dammit, I knew he was a shady fucker but it was still kind of comforting knowing that the stalled space race had been picked up by someone and we still might get to the stars some day. Now the more I hear about it the more it sounds like the entire enterprise is being run like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I'm pretty sure that every time they have some kind of industrial accident instead of having a meeting about OSHA standards they have a bunch of midgets run out and sing a song about the injured worker's moral failings.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 9, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he is looking into making candy so you aren't too far off there

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Yawgmoth posted:

You made me look this up and now everyone must suffer this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharknado_(film_series)

Completely off topic for this thread, but Dolph Lundgren was in the running to play Cable in Deadpool 2.

He didn't get it, but, they wrote a character that hits all of the same main plot points (son of a main character, thrown into the grimdark future, comes back to the present as a grizzled old man with lots of guns) for Sharknado 6, played by Dolph Lundgren.

If at first you don't succeed, just do the same thing in a SyFy Original movie with the serial numbers filed off.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Judging by the Hs, is that in Finland?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dammit, I knew he was a shady fucker but it was still kind of comforting knowing that the stalled space race had been picked up by someone and we still might get to the stars some day. Now the more I hear about it the more it sounds like the entire enterprise is being run like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I'm pretty sure that every time they have some kind of industrial accident instead of having a meeting about OSHA standards they have a bunch of midgets run out and sing a song about the injured worker's moral failings.

Yeah, except spacex is held to standards that are uh conspicuously absent from say, car manufacturers. You may think "oh they'll cut corners" but satellite manufacturers, NASA and DoD spend billions on their launch payloads (and certification processes) and there is no loving way they'll launch on hardware and software that isn't held to the same level of rigor.

Their entire business model depends on it and the commercial entities that partner with them would be absolutely certain about this before they'd ever contract them.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blitter posted:

Yeah, except spacex is held to standards that are uh conspicuously absent from say, car manufacturers. You may think "oh they'll cut corners" but satellite manufacturers, NASA and DoD spend billions on their launch payloads (and certification processes) and there is no loving way they'll launch on hardware and software that isn't held to the same level of rigor.

Their entire business model depends on it and the commercial entities that partner with them would be absolutely certain about this before they'd ever contract them.

lol my man i dont think youve ever been near a government contractor in your life

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Yeah, if spacex cuts corners nasa will just build their own rockets with all that money they have.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Volcott posted:

Yeah, if spacex cuts corners nasa will just build their own rockets with all that money they have.

NASA is already busy wasting billions of dollars a year on SLS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Relentless posted:

...they wrote a character that hits all of the same main plot points (son of a main character, thrown into the grimdark future, comes back to the present as a grizzled old man with lots of guns) for Sharknado 6, played by Dolph Lundgren.

quote:

Sharknado 6 is set to be released on July 25, 2018. Tara Reid, Ian Ziering and Cassie Scerbo are set to return, and the film will feature time travel, Nazis, dinosaurs, knights, and Noah's ark.

:neckbeard:

quote:

On March 28, 2018, Syfy confirmed the film will be the final installment of the franchise.

:smith:

I don't know why, but I love those stupid movies so much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can definitely say that the Boring Company has at least been certifying their crane operators, as we've been doing business with them.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

:smith:

I don't know why, but I love those stupid movies so much.

There's officially Time Travel now, so there's nothing stopping them from doing alternate timelines or any number of other stupid things if they want.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Judging by the Hs, is that in Finland?

Yes! In some old building in Helsinki city center.

If I remember correctly, it is also an *exclusive* elevator, as it is owned by a sub-set of the apartments, not by the building. The door has a lock in it, and if you do not have one you'll have to buy a 10k+ share to ride this beast.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

lol my man i dont think youve ever been near a government contractor in your life

Yeah, this isn't some roadworks contract; its loving rocket science and if you don't know what kind of poo poo goes into certification for satellites, avionics etc you really don't understand.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blitter posted:

Yeah, this isn't some roadworks contract; its loving rocket science and if you don't know what kind of poo poo goes into certification for satellites, avionics etc you really don't understand.

hm yase, when private contractors are dealing with extremely volatile trillion-dollar projects, they never skimp. that's why the f-35 is such a powerful, state-of-the-art plane, which

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blitter posted:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

When I worked for the State of Montana, one of my bosses made one of the fake motivational posters of something falling apart: "Close enough for government work!".

It was his desktop background for a couple of weeks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

hm yase, when private contractors are dealing with extremely volatile trillion-dollar projects, they never skimp. that's why the f-35 is such a powerful, state-of-the-art plane, which

The F-35’s problems are not being particularly good at any role relative to its fantastically expensive price tag. It’s not disintegrating in mid-air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Blitter posted:

Lmao this is so gapejawed starry-eyed naive ahaha