Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I keep seeing this "poor melee builds" sentiment for the final boss and I'm looking forward to seeing for myself

Imagine a boss on the other side of Limgrave
and when you get there
he teleports back to the other side of Limgrave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Melee on last boss feels like a game of patience. My only complaint about running melee for it is it can take a while to find a safe opening, but those openings definitely exist.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

found Malenia tonight. me & mimic almost stomped her out my first attempt (2nd phase included) but it's just been worse since then, I think I need to sleep to process what I downloaded and come back tomorrow

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Harrow posted:

It’s really not that bad, you just need to run a lot and notice that sometimes you can jump over attacks

oh, that's what I've been doing all game then, let's punch this big space nutsack in the uh sack

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I keep seeing this "poor melee builds" sentiment for the final boss and I'm looking forward to seeing for myself
it's nonsense op

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I am become the frenzied flame.

Mmmhm. Yessir, this here is The Bad End.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

It's basically just a fight in the same vein as Kalameet and Midir. Lots of people are mad at it but I dunno, it just feels like another big from monster to me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Section Z posted:

Going through yet more mines. Thinking about how every time I see someone online say "Blunt will not bounce if you hate your weapon bouncing!" I get a little bit more sad about how lackluster blunt type feels as a gimmick.

When I pull out my backup hammer type weapon against miners or something "because my knight greatsword R1 bounces while flinching them"? Oops, the R1 bounces and does not even flinch them. Two hand it? Well then the R1 may not bounce, but it still doesn't flinch them like a bigger weapon so welp :sigh:

My large club might not bounce, but then neither does my plus Zero zweihander I've got laying around.

Added insult to injury is how even when I'm using the large club for giggles, the riposte damage has hundreds of damage difference compared to my knight greatsword whether it is someone fleshy or rocky, and they have the same crit listing.

Or how power stance hammers class will be poise tanked by enemies in other areas who will at least flinch to a jumping regular greatsword or halberd (but not standing two handed charged heavy...).

Stuff like this is just another reason why I keep falling back to "Plain vanilla regular greatswords with a bastard sword moveset" in these games as my default preference, I guess. Which is a shame because weapons like a goddamned boat anchor are real fun as a concept, but I always feel like they are under performing for on reason or another (Jumping attack against someone slowly walking sidways, huge boat anchor misses. Leap off my horse with a knight greatsword and I do a sick 180 degree turn mid air to stay on target with my jumping attack)

The weapon you're looking for is the humble whip.

Tears miners apart without bouncing off, because it always bounces off anyway, that's how whips work. Deals strike damage, so it's also what they're weak to, and a shitload of poise damage, so they almost always flinch. I just did the Liurnia Crystal Tunnel and breezed through it with the whip, even the boss. And it has a huge hurtbox, so it's good for wrangling groups of enemies, much like a greatsword!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sockser posted:

Imagine a boss on the other side of Limgrave
and when you get there
he teleports back to the other side of Limgrave

Spells aren't exactly long range, you have to move an extra 30 yards closer to use a sword and that's it. You're also safe up close, if you're standing in front of it casting spells it will start making you play dance dance revolution before you do anything meaningful.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sockser posted:

I have no idea how the game would expect you to do the final boss as a pure melee build

I did it as pure melee (with Mimic) by starting to run and jump slash, and then immediately assuming they're going to teleport and run to the other side of the arena, rinse and repeat. My Mimic buddy wasn't as smart but they still attracted some attacks at least.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the final boss isn't "hard" as much as it is "very loving tedious" as melee although apparently strength melee can knock it down by hitting its weak point and then clean up

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Nuebot posted:

It's basically just a fight in the same vein as Kalameet and Midir. Lots of people are mad at it but I dunno, it just feels like another big from monster to me.

Midir on a horse would have been pretty cool

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been trying to beat Commander Niall but getting my rear end kicked. I looked up a guide and it said to use bewitching branches on his summons. The problem is, the merchant by Bellum not only doesnt have any to sell, he doesn't sell them at all. Is this a big or jist the wrong merchant? I killed him to get his bell, but the creepy twin husk merchants don't sell them either.

I can't craft them until I get the medallion from Commander Niall.
Picture of my screen to show I'm not imaging things, he doesn't sell them
https://imgur.com/a/hhUE5D8

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do think it would’ve been cool if they let you use Torrent for the final boss yeah. If nothing else just because Torrent is the real hero and deserves to be in the spotlight

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

Midir on a horse would have been pretty cool

He would have. The final boss in this game would have been a lot better if you could mount up too.

I've heard rumblings of people talking about trying to port over the older dark souls bosses and locations into Elden Ring and I really hope something comes of it, given how big some of the mods were starting to get towards the end of Dark Souls 3's lifespan. I'd genuinely love to fight some of those bosses like Midir, Gael and 2's fume knight and ivory king with elden ring's improvements.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Or even just replacing the 800 times a previous boss got reused

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Begemot posted:

The weapon you're looking for is the humble whip.

Tears miners apart without bouncing off, because it always bounces off anyway, that's how whips work. Deals strike damage, so it's also what they're weak to, and a shitload of poise damage, so they almost always flinch. I just did the Liurnia Crystal Tunnel and breezed through it with the whip, even the boss. And it has a huge hurtbox, so it's good for wrangling groups of enemies, much like a greatsword!

I might look into those for fun given I am doing my usual 20-XX strength/16 Dex tourist build stuff. Sure doesn't hurt they are low weight, for my terrible habits of "I have 6 item slots, what if I need a torch or longbow or backup weapon at any given second to go with my main/shield/seal?"

Mostly grumbling about "Blunt type not as good as I wished" (because stunning and riposting an enemy you are "uselessly bouncing off of" to death with my knight sword is hilarious compared to just two-handing or using R2 more), so it could definitely be worse!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Barudak posted:

Yeah the final boss isn't "hard" as much as it is "very loving tedious" as melee although apparently strength melee can knock it down by hitting its weak point and then clean up

Yeah, I beat it on my 3rd try with a strength build using a +24 nightrider glaive. You can stumble/visceral both phases pretty quickly with charged strong attacks. Other than that it's just being patient and learning roll timing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i haven't dipped too deeply into status-effect weapons, what's the best way to stack and what's best to stack? bleed and frost seem bonkers strong

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Chard posted:

i haven't dipped too deeply into status-effect weapons, what's the best way to stack and what's best to stack? bleed and frost seem bonkers strong

e: sorting inventory by effect would be a nice feature

Play dual katana, bleed infuse one and frost infuse one, it's really dirty.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nuebot posted:

He would have. The final boss in this game would have been a lot better if you could mount up too.

I've heard rumblings of people talking about trying to port over the older dark souls bosses and locations into Elden Ring and I really hope something comes of it, given how big some of the mods were starting to get towards the end of Dark Souls 3's lifespan. I'd genuinely love to fight some of those bosses like Midir, Gael and 2's fume knight and ivory king with elden ring's improvements.

Just place the entirety of Lordran off to the east under Farum Azul. Place the Dark Souls 2 zones all over the world where they would be most appropriate. Put Dark Souls 3 I dunno, in the middle.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Any good recommendations for a great sword to pair with the Blasphemous blade if I wanted to try powerstancing them?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Ranni quest line

I gave ranni the finger slaying blade and got the miniature ranni doll by taking the portal to Ansel river. but when I try to talk to the doll at the nearby site of grace, it doesn't say anything. did I miss a step? also blaidd isn't at ranni's rise and jerkass wizard guy was murdered.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Section Z posted:

Going through yet more mines. Thinking about how every time I see someone online say "Blunt will not bounce if you hate your weapon bouncing!" I get a little bit more sad about how lackluster blunt type feels as a gimmick.

When I pull out my backup hammer type weapon against miners or something "because my knight greatsword R1 bounces while flinching them"? Oops, the R1 bounces and does not even flinch them. Two hand it? Well then the R1 may not bounce, but it still doesn't flinch them like a bigger weapon so welp :sigh:

My large club might not bounce, but then neither does my plus Zero zweihander I've got laying around.

Added insult to injury is how even when I'm using the large club for giggles, the riposte damage has hundreds of damage difference compared to my knight greatsword whether it is someone fleshy or rocky, and they have the same crit listing.

Or how power stance hammers class will be poise tanked by enemies in other areas who will at least flinch to a jumping regular greatsword or halberd (but not standing two handed charged heavy...).

Stuff like this is just another reason why I keep falling back to "Plain vanilla regular greatswords with a bastard sword moveset" in these games as my default preference, I guess. Which is a shame because weapons like a goddamned boat anchor are real fun as a concept, but I always feel like they are under performing for on reason or another (Jumping attack against someone slowly walking sidways, huge boat anchor misses. Leap off my horse with a knight greatsword and I do a sick 180 degree turn mid air to stay on target with my jumping attack)

Only trust your fists. I was super surprised as to how the critical hit with Spiked caestus one shots the miners and only 2-3 punches regular.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Ranni quest line

I gave ranni the finger slaying blade and got the miniature ranni doll by taking the portal to Ansel river. but when I try to talk to the doll at the nearby site of grace, it doesn't say anything. did I miss a step? also blaidd isn't at ranni's rise and jerkass wizard guy was murdered.

For the doll, keep talking. Like you don't even have to find another grace, just keep talking.

Then continue exploring that part of the map. It leads to elsewhere that continues the quest.

As for Blaidd apparently there's some stuff that can happen between him and Iji when I was looking it up but I got a different outcome, so maybe there's variations? I'm not sure, but I just continued the quest from this point on no problem.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Malenia down. I'm overleveled but honestly, feels good.

Yardbomb posted:

Play dual katana, bleed infuse one and frost infuse one, it's really dirty.

definitely into this kind of degenerate poo poo, the game is begging us to get ~nasty~

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Chard posted:

Frost and bleed are considered the best AFAIK. Scarlet Rot is strong on bosses who are susceptible to it, but not worth using on regular enemies because it's slow.

Bleed is insane but it just doesn't work on certain bosses including the final 2 bosses.

I had a Nagakiba/Uchigatana build, both with bleed affinity and Seppuku Ash of War, and with a +10 Mimic Tear all the top-tier bosses, including Malenia, felt completely trivial. Bleed affinity also improves Dex scaling moderately so your weapons will also put out decent raw damage if you stack Dex.

If you want cheese, there is also the Hoarfrost Stomp Ash of War which is used pretty much exclusively in the speedrun because it is so broken. It's on the ice axe you can get in Liurnia. At +9 (Somber) it does 3-4k damage per cast or something stupid, and you can cast it through many obstacles.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The problem with Malenia is she always does the wombo combo when I'm out of stamina

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

Lmao the weapon ash on Radhans sword is incredibly OP but nobody will ever realize it because it isnt a katana. Just rips bosses out of whatever they are doing in addition to doing over 2k damage. Just beat Alecto by spamming it in between jump attacks boosted by the cloak and talisman

I am in love with this weapon

You have to be tanky for it tho, that one second between attack one and attack two is enough for your enemies to get a swing in

But yeah it’s both a room clearer and a boss deleter

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I will continue to bitch until I beat it

I hate how radagon has a big AoE that hits when he strikes the ground
and an identical AoE where he hits the ground and it hits a second later

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sockser posted:

I will continue to bitch until I beat it

This did bother me about the Radagon fight. For most of his attacks there isn't a clear visual distinction between the AOE left behind by his strikes that explode and the ones that don't.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sockser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxKV2j58UXA

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Holy poo poo the Sword of Night and Flame breaks the game. I might spec out of it just to have a challenge. Does it last to the end of the game like that?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Started a new game not-plus as a mage since my last one was all smash all the time. Whoa boy magic just rips apart some of those early annoying fights

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
At 60 strength, I should be able to punch a hole through enemies with my bare fists! Not 10 damage!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poe meater posted:

At 60 strength, I should be able to punch a hole through enemies with my bare fists! Not 10 damage!

I am disappointed in a lack of a vanquishers seal equivalent for ER

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

screech on the beach posted:

Holy poo poo the Sword of Night and Flame breaks the game. I might spec out of it just to have a challenge. Does it last to the end of the game like that?
You know how people are spending seven hours on the last boss?

Easily one-shot it with the Sword of Night and Flame. On NG+, it was so powerful in the non-endgame NG+ areas that I had to shelve it for something more fair, it was literally killing the early bosses in a single lazer.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Multiplayer never stops being funny. Doing early - mid level invasions with vykes war spear at the last stairs in caria and I notice that one of the phantoms with the host is in full boss gear with the last boss weapon just shooting gold waves everywhere. They march straight up to the troll and start smacking it so I just suicide dive attack into double weapon art. Host dies just before I do and I'm not sure the phantoms noticed (or cared) and were too busy teabagging my madness killed body as I faded away laughing.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The one major design fail in this game is the crafting system, for every player that actually uses this crap, Id guess 20 ignore it. You dont need it. And even if you dont want to engage with it, there are constant disappointments when you loot something only to be awarded some random crafting bs. Doesnt feel good in a game that doesnt need more ways not to feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

AcidCat posted:

The one major design fail in this game is the crafting system, for every player that actually uses this crap, Id guess 20 ignore it. You dont need it. And even if you dont want to engage with it, there are constant disappointments when you loot something only to be awarded some random crafting bs. Doesnt feel good in a game that doesnt need more ways not to feel good.

The alternative is just having the items drop in the world, which gives the player less agency in what they can acquire.