Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Make sure your CPU isn't being throttled because of dead fans, heatsinks falling off, etc.

Then buy an SSD anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

namlosh posted:

I use keepass religiously... it has zero problems with windows 10. It’s the best one imho... use OneDrive or Dropbox to sync the password database file it uses to your phone or other computers where you need the passwords

It's just that when I searched for KeePass, the Wikipedia page on it said this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeePass posted:

A 2019 Independent Security Evaluators study described KeePass as well as other widely used password managers as being unable to control Windows 10's tendency to leave passwords in cleartext in RAM after they are displayed using Windows controlled GUI.[12] In addition, several github projects (KeeFarce, KeeThief, Lazanga) specifically attack a running KeePass to steal all data; when the host is compromised, KeePass cannot prevent password theft. Note that "neither KeePass nor any other password manager can magically run securely in a spyware-infected, insecure environment."[13]

hooah posted:

I switched from KeePass to Bitwarden a while ago and am so glad I did. I don't know if it was Dropbox's fault or the Android app's, but it always had a hard time syncing passwords that I created on my phone.

While Bitwarden does operate in the cloud, you can host your own private sync server if you want so the company doesn't touch your data.

Maybe I'll give Bitwarden a look.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Max Wilco posted:

It's just that when I searched for KeePass, the Wikipedia page on it said this:

That's not a keepass problem, that's a "it is nearly impossible to fully secure information from an attacker that can examine memory" problem. If your system is compromised and is running whatever hacking code on your system then 99/100 times you've already lost.

It's like, hostile code at that level of access could also just keylog your main password and upload your key database so the bad guys can just open it themselves. Nobody writes that up as a security vulnerability because it's like duh of course. But maybe a user-level process could cleverly extract the secrets* from RAM under some clever condition, like getting it from GUI memory that's not 100% secure. That still means you've got hostile code running on your system. Keyloggers don't need admin access either.

edit: every password manager is going to be vulnerable to this problem, it they display the password that puts it in memory. But yeah, you should use Bitwarden.

*This is why the intel CPU bugs are bad, because they let a user process examine memory that doesn't belong to them.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Statutory Ape posted:

I forget if we got to this part yet but you can also upgrade to windows 10 off your w7 key for $0

Wow, didn't know that! All I gotta do is track down my win 7 key, buy an SSD and I can keep this old dustbucket for a little bit longer. Thing is, I live in a country where ordering things online isn't as cheap / fast as in western europe, but we do have a few computer shops. Will go and see if I can get a small capacity SSD for loading windows from, and use my slow HDD for storing files and bullshit. Also, I had no idea chrome was a pig, so I will use a different browser as well.

So, my steps are:

Download this windows https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 onto a USB. Try to find my product key.
Put the windows file onto a USB.
Unplug other hard drives and plug this one in.
Restart computer and choose to boot from USB.
Windows 7 installer starts and asks me which drive to install windows onto. I choose the new SSD.
Windows installs. I then update it to windows 10.
My computer now runs Crysis.

That's it, right? Thank you again :)

Also - I don't suppose you'd know whether or not I can get the free upgrade to windows 10 after windows 7 support ends? Or am I on a timer here.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 20, 2019

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Nobody knows. They officially stopped free upgrades ages ago but they don’t actually seem to care about stopping people.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

henpod posted:

Wow, didn't know that! All I gotta do is track down my win 7 key, buy an SSD and I can keep this old dustbucket for a little bit longer. Thing is, I live in a country where ordering things online isn't as cheap / fast as in western europe, but we do have a few computer shops. Will go and see if I can get a small capacity SSD for loading windows from, and use my slow HDD for storing files and bullshit. Also, I had no idea chrome was a pig, so I will use a different browser as well.

So, my steps are:

Download this windows https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 onto a USB. Try to find my product key.
Put the windows file onto a USB.
Unplug other hard drives and plug this one in.
Restart computer and choose to boot from USB.
Windows 7 installer starts and asks me which drive to install windows onto. I choose the new SSD.
Windows installs. I then update it to windows 10.
My computer now runs Crysis.

That's it, right? Thank you again :)

Also - I don't suppose you'd know whether or not I can get the free upgrade to windows 10 after windows 7 support ends? Or am I on a timer here.

Don't upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Enter your Windows 7 product key into the Windows 10 installer, you don't need the intermediate step. You can get the Windows 10 installer here, it will put it on a USB drive automatically: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you can't find your Win 7 key, get a cheap Win 10 key off ebay - they're like $5.

Also, Chrome is pretty much the fastest browser available, Firefox runs way worse on low-end machines.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sri.Theo posted:

Nobody knows. They officially stopped free upgrades ages ago but they don’t actually seem to care about stopping people.

Probably related to the shift in language they made during one of the upgrade cycles. They added "Windows is a service..."

That tells me they're essentially considering anyone who got a legit Win7 or up key is a valid subscriber.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lambert posted:

Also, Chrome is pretty much the fastest browser available, Firefox runs way worse on low-end machines.

That was true maybe 100 years ago. Not anymore. Firefox today is not only faster but the privacy tools built into the browser pretty much should make it the default choice for most people.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I tried it on a low-end laptop just recently: Firefox still performs noticeably worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Firefox is also a small enough share of the browser market that some sites straight up don't work for it either. iCloud.com is the biggest one I can think of as an example, the Notes app won't load.

I still use Firefox, but I wouldn't put it on my granny's system.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also Chaturbate works better on Chrome, even if they block Flash.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i use firefox as a second browser because im still not sure how to handle having 3 or 4 screens at different resolutions and scaling settings without 2 browsers.

i think the default UI looks pretty nice on firefox tbh but the only system/s i use it on are hex core i7s so i really doubt im gonna see any performance issues, and i havent run out of RAM in a few years

do yall have a suggestion that would work for my situation? i dont wanna do incognito mode bc i still want to track all my browsing etc

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
having used both I still think Chrome is the better browser. For people who have issues with google, one option is to use the Microsoft Edge beta; which is now chromium based (and Microsoft has added some poo poo, so I think it's better than chrome; and it's what I use now.) The regular channel for Edge is switching to the new Chromium based browser shortly too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use Chrome at work and Firefox at home and don't really notice the difference when I switch.

I do pull up Chrome at home on some sites as media plays better (watching Bob's Burgers on fox.com is a poo poo show on Firefox).

I have noticed that LastPass on my moms Chrome auto fills the fields and logs you in while on my Firefox setup I need to do a few more clicks, which is mildly annoying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Edge is a surprisingly fine browser now, too. Definitely the cooler, younger brother of IE.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I might just try to opt in to the chromium edge beta or something, gently caress it :shrug: might as well use something already installed

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Final release is on January 15, might as well wait at this point. The beta is still a bit unstable, I get tabs not reacting to certain inputs (like the scroll wheel) on the regular.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lambert posted:

Final release is on January 15, might as well wait at this point. The beta is still a bit unstable, I get tabs not reacting to certain inputs (like the scroll wheel) on the regular.

Too late but this is still a good post/advice. I literally just need something that i can keep at higher magnification.

Not a fan of using the MS store to DL literally anything but thats a perfectly reasonable place for them to keep their extensions and the experience was just as smooth (and frankly more organized imho) than what im used to on chrome for the same.

anyway, this was a very successful forums interaction for me tyvm

E: :stare: see! i even thought i was making this post in chrome and i wasnt

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can even install extensions from the Chrome Web Store, it's fully compatible (just have to enable "Allow extensions from other stores" in the Extension settings.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lambert posted:

You can even install extensions from the Chrome Web Store, it's fully compatible (just have to enable "Allow extensions from other stores" in the Extension settings.

feelin like bob kraft in a florida massage parlor rn

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Firefox is also a small enough share of the browser market that some sites straight up don't work for it either. iCloud.com is the biggest one I can think of as an example, the Notes app won't load.
might be a plugin problem? Notes works fine on iCloud for me, running 71.0 64 bit on Windows 10

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Seconding the recommendation to do a free upgrade to Windows 10. It was developed with tablets and other relatively low-performance devices in mind, and it'll usually run at least as well as Windows 7 on older desktops. It's also got more SSD-related optimization, in case you end up getting a cheap SSD (which I absolutely would, even for a secondary PC).

Windows manages disk fragmentation automatically. You shouldn't even have to mess with the defrag settings, let alone install third-party defragmenters.
Windows mostly keeps individual files from fragmenting. But it's worth it to very occasionally do a big defrag that sorts everything on the drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wyoak posted:

might be a plugin problem? Notes works fine on iCloud for me, running 71.0 64 bit on Windows 10

It's been a while since I played with it, will have to dig in to it again.

But I just did a quick test with my blocker disabled along with disabling firefox's own protection, as well as in a private window, and now the site won't even load properly (complaint about content security policy). But I'll make a reminder to investigate later!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dylan16807 posted:

Windows mostly keeps individual files from fragmenting. But it's worth it to very occasionally do a big defrag that sorts everything on the drive.

Do you have a source for that? I'd love to see how much of a difference it makes in benchmarks.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Aight - installed the new SSD with a clean windows 10. Feels faster at least. Now, I gotta get to work and remove all the bloat. Coming from a relatively simple windows 7, there's a whole bunch of poo poo I don't need, or want loading up in the first place.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lambert posted:

Don't upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Enter your Windows 7 product key into the Windows 10 installer, you don't need the intermediate step. You can get the Windows 10 installer here, it will put it on a USB drive automatically: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you can't find your Win 7 key, get a cheap Win 10 key off ebay - they're like $5.

Those keys are only legitimate some of the time, and it's a waste of money if you have a working 7 install. Upgrade it to permanently license the machine, then make a fresh install afterwards if you want that.

But that's after trying tools like produkey.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Dylan16807 posted:

Those keys are only legitimate some of the time, and it's a waste of money if you have a working 7 install. Upgrade it to permanently license the machine, then make a fresh install afterwards if you want that.

But that's after trying tools like produkey.

It's cool, turns out my windows key was right there on a sticker on top of the PC case :).

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Do you have a source for that? I'd love to see how much of a difference it makes in benchmarks.
It's hard to find good benchmarks of defragmenting, but this post seems to be reasonably thorough: https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/1405088-benchmark-should-i-defragment-my-system-defragmenter-best.html

And this one doesn't seem awful: https://www.hofmannc.de/en/windows-7-defragmenter-test/benchmarks.html

The builtin defragmentation is fine but not the best. Also I'm not sure if running it manually is exactly the same as the default background runs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dylan16807 posted:

Those keys are only legitimate some of the time
Have you personally had a problem with keys you bought from ebay? Because I have bought a bunch and never had a problem.

Dylan16807 posted:

Also I'm not sure if running it manually is exactly the same as the default background runs.
That's precisely what you were being asked, because you claimed, "Windows mostly keeps individual files from fragmenting. But it's worth it to very occasionally do a big defrag that sorts everything on the drive." If running it manually is the same as what is done automatically, then it is not true that "it's worth it to very occasionally do a big defrag," so it's weird to assert that if you aren't sure whether or not running it manually does anything different.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

mystes posted:

Have you personally had a problem with keys you bought from ebay? Because I have bought a bunch and never had a problem.
Microsoft doesn't care at all, at least for individual users. But why should I risk paying money to a pirate when I can avoid it?

mystes posted:

That's precisely what you were being asked, because you claimed, "Windows mostly keeps individual files from fragmenting. But it's worth it to very occasionally do a big defrag that sorts everything on the drive." If running it the same, then it is not true that "it's worth it to very occasionally do a big defrag," so it's weird to assert that if you aren't sure whether or not running it manually does anything different.
Oh, sorry. To be clear, the builtin defragmenter is completely incapable of doing "a big defrag that sorts everything on the drive". I meant something like mydefrag.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

Edge is a surprisingly fine browser now, too. Definitely the cooler, younger brother of IE.

Lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

henpod posted:

Aight - installed the new SSD with a clean windows 10. Feels faster at least. Now, I gotta get to work and remove all the bloat. Coming from a relatively simple windows 7, there's a whole bunch of poo poo I don't need, or want loading up in the first place.

Look into doing fresh start; windows key and type in fresh start. It's under windows security > device performance and health.

It might be what you want

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

It is! Don't you loving patronize me you young little poo poo, my fingers fought and died for this browser.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah Edge the Chrome Wrapper is so new and hip

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unless you’re referring to the old Edge, which is dead btw

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dylan16807 posted:

It's hard to find good benchmarks of defragmenting, but this post seems to be reasonably thorough: https://www.overclock.net/forum/20-hard-drives-storage/1405088-benchmark-should-i-defragment-my-system-defragmenter-best.html

And this one doesn't seem awful: https://www.hofmannc.de/en/windows-7-defragmenter-test/benchmarks.html

The builtin defragmentation is fine but not the best. Also I'm not sure if running it manually is exactly the same as the default background runs.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that either. For that matter, I'm also not sure what changes have been made to the built-in defragmenter since Windows 7, so it's hard to say what to make of it. I guess it's moot in any case, since they got an SSD after all.

henpod posted:

Uninstall Candy Crush or whatever, but don't go down the rabbit hole of disabling random services; the odds of noticeably improving performance that way are low, but it's a good way to set yourself up for frustration down the road, when you've forgotten about disabling some service that turns out to have a dependency that starts throwing errors in eight months.

Statutory Ape posted:

Look into doing fresh start; windows key and type in fresh start. It's under windows security > device performance and health.

It might be what you want

This takes me to Device Performance and Health, but not to any particular action. What does it do that a clean install doesn't do on its own?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Maybe this is terrible, but for my personal and families systems I just keep using the same 2 keys over and over. They keep working.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think Microsoft stopped caring. They want everyone on Windows 10 so that can sell your personal information and so they don't have to worry about security updates for out of date OS's.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You don't need to enter a key again after you've already installed Windows 10 on a computer once: A hash value of the system will be stored on Microsoft's servers and used for automatic reactivation even when you don't enter any key.

Also, Microsoft gets money off of pretty much every pre-built PC and laptop that is sold, they don't need to police individual retail licenses all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Gonna buy a new set of MB+CPU+Memory for my son for christmas and I plan to reuse the existing SSDs. Gonna be very curious how much will MS give a poo poo about the activation. I will deactivate it first and then reactivate it in the "new computer", so hopefully i won't have to call MS.