Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

King of Solomon posted:

I'd wait until the patch hits, though. As it is now, the Dragonslayer Spear isn't great.

Is there an easier list to read what's being buffed and nerfed and fixed and changed other than that massive unformatted wall of text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Almost everything is getting a damage buff, almost all heavy armor is getting a nerf, in a nutshell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Miracles are getting nerfed though (the Lightning Spears and Wrath of God specifically), and I think they nerfed Great Resonant Soul again. I think Soul Spear is getting nerfed as well?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Manatee Cannon posted:

Miracles are getting nerfed though (the Lightning Spears and Wrath of God specifically), and I think they nerfed Great Resonant Soul again. I think Soul Spear is getting nerfed as well?

Miracles are getting a damage buff and a cast-number nerf, so they'll be worse for PvE but better (probably still terrible) for PvP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought the spears and WoG were getting damage nerfs, not buffs. The casts being reduced I knew about.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

There were a bunch of different versions of garbled translations coming through on the spells changes so everyone being confused is kind of expected. The most official translated version seemed to say:

quote:

Sorceries [Soul Spear] [Crystal Soul Spear] have increased piercing ability.
- Sorceries [Soul Bolt] [Soul Shower] have increased tracking, increased usage count, and reduced stamina consumption.
- Sorcery [Cast Light] has increased uses.
- Sorcery [Shockwave] has increased tracking ability, increased poise damage.
- Sorcery [Soul Spear Barrage] has increased tracking, reduced poise damage.
- Sorcery [Soul Vortex] has reduced number of hits.
- Miracle [Blinding Bolt] has reduced damage, increased tracking.
- Miracle [Unveil] has increased castings, reduced slot requirement.
- Miracles [Perseverence] [Caressing Prayer] [Heavenly Thunder] have increased castings.
- Miracles [Lightning Spear] [Great Lightning Spear] [Sunlight Spear] [Emit Force] have reduced castings, increased damage from status adjustment.
- Miracle [Soul Appease] has reduced castings.
- Miracle [Force] has increased area of effect.
- Pyromancy [Fireball] has increased tracking.
- Pyromancies [Fire Orb] [Great Fireball] [Great Chaos Fireball] have increased tracking, reduced stamina usage.
- Pyromancy [Lingering Flame] has increased damage, increased tracking, reduced stamina usage.
- Pyromancy [Iron Flesh] has increased effect, reduced stamina usage.
- Pyromancy [Immolation] has reduced self-damage, reduced slot usage.
- Pyromancy [Fire Storm] [Fire Tempest] [Chaos Storm] have reduced number of hits.
- Hexes [Repel] [Twisted Barricade] have faster casting speed.
- Hex [Dark Orb] has increased tracking.
- Hex [Dark Hail] has increased tracking, reduced poise damage.
- Hex [Whisper of Despair] has its effect and duration increased.
- Hex [Resonant Soul] has increased tracking.
- Hex [Great Resonant Soul] has increased damage, reduced castings.
- Hexes [Scraps of Life] [Lifedrain Patch] [Darkstorm] have reduced number of hits.
- Hex [Profound Still] has reduced castings.
Taken from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&pagenumber=733&perpage=40#post432037327

If we assume "status adjustment" is translation lingo for scaling, slightly better scaling on lightning spears, no change to their raw damage, and reduced number of casts.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

The most :effort: method of killing them is to summon the NPC phantom. Bonus points if you are also a caster.

Don't even need the NPC phantom, the easiest way is just to stunlock them with power stanced maces.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side

xPanda posted:

Has anyone tried using the Xbox One controller with DS2 on PC? I want to get one, as my logitech controller has that problem with timing where you can't do the guard breaks or jump attacks or any of that stuff. I won't get the Xbox One controller if it suffers the same problem, but since the 360 controller apparently doesn't I assume this one doesn't either.

I do but and it's fine but the cord is not as long as my Gamestop Xbox PC Controllers. It Also was 81 dollars because you have to use it plugged in. I honestly wish I would have gotten a DS4 so I could play on my couch and it would have been cheaper.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hah, got invaded a SM hacking dude at the Iron Keep on my level ~100 dude. He had the turtle chest + Havel's + helix powerstance combo, but I parried and zwei'd him into the lava. B)

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Shame about the Soul Appease nerf. I wonder why they decided it needed one. Unveil might actually be worth using, at least. And Blinding Bolt has tracking? What?

Also noting that the only hexes receiving nerfs are the ones that use chimes. :allears:

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

LunaSky posted:

I do but and it's fine but the cord is not as long as my Gamestop Xbox PC Controllers. It Also was 81 dollars because you have to use it plugged in. I honestly wish I would have gotten a DS4 so I could play on my couch and it would have been cheaper.

Do you mean you have to use even the Wireless controller plugged in?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So basically this patch makes heavy armor even more useless?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

So basically this patch makes heavy armor even more useless?

Havel the Pumice Rock

:smith:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Heavy armor is a pain if the person has a ton of phys/else resist.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Heavy armor is at its most useless when I'm poking someone with a spear for 50 damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looks like the update dropped I guess, just got a 1gb update on Steam. I only just noticed it happening so it probably happened a long time ago and I'm just slow on the uptake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nah this is new. I'm still downloading it. I mean my internet is slow, but not that slow.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Update is out?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Are there any good places to go for like to date news and translations and stuff outside of this thread/the wikis you go to?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, I checked out the Lightning Spears. First on my faith character (58 FTH, 32 ATT, and a +5 Lightning Dragon Chime), then on my STR/DEX character with eight faith. On the character with no faith, Lightning Spear and GLS have three casts each and Sunlight Spear has 2. However, on my faith character I still have the same amount of casts with GLS and Sunlight Spear as I did before (4 and 50). Maybe it's because I had them equipped before the update? :iiam:

The damage nerf might be real though, Sunlight Spear does ~850 for me and GLS does around 550. This is a NG++ character so I'm not sure if the resistances are just different, but last I checked Sunlight Spear did around 1200 and GLS did 900.

edit: yep, don't gently caress with your spells if you want to keep the old cast amount. I just did to check if it did anything/whether the regular Lightning Spear would be different and I'm down to 2 Sunlight Spears and 15 GLS. Plain Jane Lightning Spear does 460, by the way. The damage didn't change when I fixed my cast amount.

edit 2: yeah I tested Sunlight Spear on a few enemies and it's always around 840-850, Defender's Greatsword seems to do around ~100 less per hit as well unless I'm just misremembering what it did before.

edit 3 return of the edit: Emit Force deals about 560, which is less than before but now it's about on par with GLS while having twice the casts. Slower, though.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 18, 2014

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

xPanda posted:

Do you mean you have to use even the Wireless controller plugged in?

Yes. Microsoft went all out in making the controller worse in every way (but the d-pad). Get a 360 or DS4 pad.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So has the durability bug been fixed? What about new retardedly buffed weapons? What got nerfed into the ground? Someone spill the beans

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bob NewSCART posted:

So has the durability bug been fixed? What about new retardedly buffed weapons? What got nerfed into the ground? Someone spill the beans

If only there were some sort of patch notes you could look at.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

If only there were some sort of patch notes you could look at.

If you could find me some that aren't a hosed up mistranslation that'd be cool instead of being a jackass.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The patch notes posted earlier on the page don't seem particularly trustworthy, anyway. They were way wrong about miracles getting a damage buff. Unless they got a base damage nerf and have increased scaling, in which case they're a lot worse than I thought.

Either wait for people to test it or for the official translation of the notes. It'll probably be up soon anyway.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bah, I didn't want the game to update yet; My Cleric was one session of Old Iron King farming away from NG++ Dreangelic Castle :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bob NewSCART posted:

If you could find me some that aren't a hosed up mistranslation that'd be cool instead of being a jackass.

You'd think all the changes would have been properly documented after 1 whole hour!

What I'm saying is, there is no official patch notes unless you can read japanese. There probably will be one later today.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
The chest in the manor now has a soul vessel in case anyone's using lightning spears. :v:
Zweihander's only got a 10 base AR buff sadly.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
gently caress, i liked my PvE miracles :(

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You'd think all the changes would have been properly documented after 1 whole hour!

What I'm saying is, there is no official patch notes unless you can read japanese. There probably will be one later today.

Uh, yes, there is and was for a long time now.
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html under Update.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

gently caress, i liked my PvE miracles :(

Keep in mind that I was testing damage on NG++. I don't have a character set up with the proper equipment to test on NG, I'd have to reroll a character and get the Dragon Chime plus upgrade materials. Maybe it's fine or better on a first run. The cast reduction is more definite, 3-2 casts after the 11-8-4 from before is a big change.

edit: I did just that and nah, same damage (didn't have Sunlight Spear to test, but I can't see why it'd be different). So Sunlight Spear is looking at a full third of its damage cut off (1200 to 800), GLS is close to half (900 to 500). Lightning Spear loses like a third (600 to 400)? I had the same stats on the NG character I tested and the same +5 Lightning Dragon Chime (had to kill grandpa gandalf, but whatever).

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 18, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the added tracking like? And has anyone tried GRS yet to see where that's at now?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the added tracking like? And has anyone tried GRS yet to see where that's at now?

GRS does not get additional tracking. RS does.

e: GRS gets more damage tho'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

omeg posted:

Uh, yes, there is and was for a long time now.
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html under Update.

Oh, good! Snarky comment un-rescinded then!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Oh, good! Snarky comment un-rescinded then!

you're annoying, keep your idiotic passive aggressive poo poo to yourself

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Sure, I could check some stuff. The damage is against the stone soldiers in Drangleic, same as I tested the miracles against. If you have an idea on where to test the tracking, I'm all ears. If it's supposed to track while you aren't locked on, it doesn't. 55 in INT/FTH, +10 Dark Caitha's Chime, +10 Magic Black Witches Staff, +10 Pyromancy Flame.

Resonant Soul: 670 (chime)
Great Resonant Soul: 1050 (chime)
Soul Spear: 600
Crystal Soul Spear: 750
Fire Orb: 410
Great Fireball: 520

Mostly tested everything to get damage comparisons across the board on the spell types.

edit: oh yeah, I also had 80k souls on hand for the hex damage test so they were operating at full power. Kinda wanted to try Climax for the comparison, but then I'd have to grind for souls to upgrade/buy poo poo with and :effort: Also, keep resistances in mind when you look at these damage numbers. Crystal (?) Soul Spear does like 1200 damage to the hollow knights in the forest, for example. Sunlight Spear still does 850. There are better chimes/staves for the hexes and spells as well, whereas I used the best lightning chime in the game for the miracles.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 18, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Jesus, I knew Lightning spears were getting nerfed, but only 3 casts for the loving basic version?!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just a note: the patch included the DLC files so spoilers concerning new items, boss souls, etc. are circulating on places like the Dark Souls 2 sub-reddit.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Flytrap posted:

Jesus, I knew Lightning spears were getting nerfed, but only 3 casts for the loving basic version?!
Something tells me they went overboard. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pop quiz:

If somebody summons you and is briskly walking around with their shield up and doesn't return your bow, what do you think is happening?

it's probably because I've just been invaded you god drat jerkoff. Thanks for black crystalling out on me :jerkbag: