Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Not to mention he's had 20 years to get to know the douchebag since.

Edit: I realize I'm wrong but I choose to be wrong because it's so much better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I definitely think Oda gave such a good showing to Crocodile at Marineford so people wouldn't think he was weak anymore but they still do a lot of the time. There's probably no concrete reason to think Crocodile has busoshoku haki but it's hard to believe a shichibukai wouldn't if every vice admiral has it. Meanwhile he made Moria look like poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

U-DO Burger posted:

i like to think crocodile made it to the new world, said "gently caress that" to haki and, instead of training himself further, just decided to join the seven warlords so he could find a superweapon and blow up anyone who mentions haki to him again

Actually, that'd make a LOT of sense... especially given Moria was basically up to something similar, with his superweapon being Oars and his zombie army. Probably hoping he can kill and/or steal the shadows of more powerful people and create MORE super-zombies as he goes. He may or may not have been explicit about that, I forget.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

my parents boyfriend posted:

I definitely think Oda gave such a good showing to Crocodile at Marineford so people wouldn't think he was weak anymore but they still do a lot of the time. There's probably no concrete reason to think Crocodile has busoshoku haki but it's hard to believe a shichibukai wouldn't if every vice admiral has it. Meanwhile he made Moria look like poo poo.

I am almost certain Crocodile knows Haki. It never would have come up back in Alabasta as he did not need it to hurt Luffy.

He is also one of the best Logia users, having trained his body to come apart on impact to avoid surprise attacks and potential fatal blows. (The only time this does not work is if he is hit by water first, but Crocodile can largely get around his Water Weakness anyway.)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Does a logia user have to consciously transform at risk areas to avoid damage or are they in a dual state at all times such that something that wouldn't harm their element doesn't harm them unless haki is involved

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Does a logia user have to consciously transform at risk areas to avoid damage or are they in a dual state at all times such that something that wouldn't harm their element doesn't harm them unless haki is involved
A Logia user has to train to be in a dual state, but those who don't practice can be hit by sneak attacks, even without Haki. Like for instance, in Alabasta Luffy accidentally flies right into Smoker and actually hits him despite his Logia powers.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Manatee Cannon posted:

will say that I like the explanation oda gives of most logia types coasting on their fruit power before getting rocked in the new world where haki is so common

crocodile and moria both were like kidd and the other super novas that got owned by the various emperors when they went to the new world. it's not a perfect fit with their position in the world government, but it makes sense. they were cocky, suffered the consequences, and then took a position of power in the safer first half of the grand line under the protection of the marines
When you really think about it though, a lot of the Warlords were just about as strong as the Supernovas, so the generations before "The Worst Generation" where Moria and Crocodile came from, directly clashing with Emporers before they had kind of settled into their islands and territories could have made a bit more sense.

There's such a massive world in One Piece and Oda's always had the foresight to show that things are ALWAYS going on around the world even if Luffy and his allies aren't directly involved, like Weevil hunting down Whitebeard's armada and the other Supernovas all aligning with Warlords

Snazzy Frocks posted:

As far as we know their body is naturally made of that element so it's almost always "on" but they're vulnerable to sneak attacks. As far back as Crocodile and Enel, they had already had some early form of Haki and were just transforming their bodies the split second before they got hit anyway, probably because (In Croc's case) he had already been used to Haki in the New World and in Enel's, just had slight future sight anyway like Katakuri does to a lesser degree.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Both. A logia can transform themselves into a duel state where they can't be harmed except for elemental Weaknesses and Haki. But they have to actively shift their body into this state, so if caught off guard before they turn this on, they can be hit. In the New World were Haki is more common, Logia's have to actively shift parts of their body out of the way of attacks to avoid them. Rather then rely on a passive defense.

Crocodile trained his body up, so that it would break apart on impact making him immune to sneak attacks and most haki blows, unless they were fast enough.

Enel was more of a coaster, relying on transforming his body into lightning to make himself passively immune to attacks, and his future vision to make himself immune to sneak attacks. Haki or his Rubber weakness coming into the picture would no doubt result in him getting his rear end kicked.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think oda wrote crocodile and then shortly invented haki (for other reasons or to make logia users vulnerable in the future without an elemental weakness). the first actual mention of haki is literally the arc following alabasta.

the problem is croc was invented before haki so it really dates him.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

anime was right posted:

i think oda wrote crocodile and then shortly invented haki (for other reasons or to make logia users vulnerable in the future without an elemental weakness). the first actual mention of haki is literally the arc following alabasta.

the problem is croc was invented before haki so it really dates him.

It seemed to me like Oda retroactively turned mantra into observation haki, so I wouldn't really call Skypeia the first mention of it. The actual mention of "Haki" in the context we use it doesn't come until Sabaody right?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The first "use" of haki was Shanks against the Sea King, but it was something Oda might not have set in stone.

Blackbeard mentions it in Jaya believing Luffy to not being worth his 100 mil bounty since his Haki wasn't that impressive. Then we had the whole Mantra/Observation Haki stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

It seemed to me like Oda retroactively turned mantra into observation haki, so I wouldn't really call Skypeia the first mention of it. The actual mention of "Haki" in the context we use it doesn't come until Sabaody right?

We first see it in Sabaody, but it's mentioned several times before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea oda clearly intended for it to be a thing for a while but I doubt he had all the details set in stone until later

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

The first "use" of haki was Shanks against the Sea King, but it was something Oda might not have set in stone.

Blackbeard mentions it in Jaya believing Luffy to not being worth his 100 mil bounty since his Haki wasn't that impressive. Then we had the whole Mantra/Observation Haki stuff.

I found that line interesting because it implies that Blackbeard can sense other people’s Haki even when they aren’t actively using it, something no other Haki user has demonstrated IIRC, yet he’s terrible at dodging and went out of his way to get a DF that’s mostly redundant for a CoA user.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RealFoxy posted:

If there's one thing fiction loves, it's having a big massive fight between two good guys over a misunderstanding, so I can see Shanks being pissed off at Luffy for claiming his territory since I don't assume Shanks really has all that much.

Considering Luffy slugged it out with Zoro early on over basically nothing I can see it happening again.

I feel like Shanks' appearance at Reverie might be setup for the fight. Like he went there to talk about BlackBeard, but maybe his talk with the old dudes bring up a conflict of interest with Luffy.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

We first see it in Sabaody, but it's mentioned several times before.
There's Shanks meeting with Whitebeard, which happened during the Post-Enies Lobby Arc.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Blackbeard mentions it in Jaya believing Luffy to not being worth his 100 mil bounty since his Haki wasn't that impressive.

It was my understanding (and I think the WSJ translator has stated this on the one piece podcast at some point) that the use of "haki" on Jaya is literally just ambition, while later uses of haki carry the additional meaning of haki in the one piece context (color of arms, observation, etc.).

I forgot about Shanks using conqueror's haki, although that sort of fits the same mold as mantra: Here are a couple powers that are cool and clearly meant to belong to strong or well trained fighters, let's go ahead and stitch them together into one cohesive "power", and toss in armament haki as a counter to devil fruits for good measure.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
the best page in one piece actually says "a mans haki never dies" and this was to foreshadow that blackbeard ate whitebeard's haki to steal his power you heard it here first folks

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JahRoo posted:

It was my understanding (and I think the WSJ translator has stated this on the one piece podcast at some point) that the use of "haki" on Jaya is literally just ambition, while later uses of haki carry the additional meaning of haki in the one piece context (color of arms, observation, etc.).

I forgot about Shanks using conqueror's haki, although that sort of fits the same mold as mantra: Here are a couple powers that are cool and clearly meant to belong to strong or well trained fighters, let's go ahead and stitch them together into one cohesive "power", and toss in armament haki as a counter to devil fruits for good measure.

armament first appears in water 7 when garp punches luffy and it actually hurts him

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

no that was love

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I found that line interesting because it implies that Blackbeard can sense other people’s Haki even when they aren’t actively using it, something no other Haki user has demonstrated IIRC, yet he’s terrible at dodging and went out of his way to get a DF that’s mostly redundant for a CoA user.

I mean, at this point the most reasonable conclusion is that he at least had an inkling that he could just cheat the “if you EAT two devil fruits you’ll explode” rule and have sick gravity powers along with punching people with earthquakes.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

When Croc first got punched some translations have him react "wait did he just use?" Or "could he have...?". It could loosely imply this was the first mention of haki but I don't think the pre-archipelago translations are a great source.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's ambiguous enough that croc could be talking about haki. but he could have also been thinking about water, which is what luffy actually did

that's one of those things where you'd prob have to ask oda himself. assuming you can get him to answer your question seriously anyway

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf usually when he gives his frequent joke answers it’s because it’s something he’s gonna get to. Like how someone asked if Whitebeard’s ship was named after Rocky’s fish (because Moby Dick’s Japanese title was localized as something else) because that bit of info wasn’t ever gonna be addressed.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish we got some cover arcs about how certain characters got their devil fruits. It could show how marines get theirs and how many pirates just fell into theirs randomly and how many sought theirs out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the impression Oda's done a lot of research into famous sailors and pirates and Age of Sail history in general, which filtered through a Japanese lens result in some fun stuff. (and also some crazy tidbits about historical pirates you'd never believe) Funny thing is that Whitebeard, Blackbeard and even Thatch (one of his aliases) are all based on various aspects of the historical Blackbeard.

...huh, apparently according to Oda, Blackbeard's real-life country of origin would be Somalia. A little morbid but probably fitting, especially since him and his crew are meant to be the most pirate-y pirates.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's ambiguous enough that croc could be talking about haki. but he could have also been thinking about water, which is what luffy actually did

that's one of those things where you'd prob have to ask oda himself. assuming you can get him to answer your question seriously anyway

Oda would just answer a question about if pissing caused Crocodiles dick to turn solid instead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Which logias have we seen that have extra effects that aren't just the element being produced? Crocodile, swamp guy and blackbeard?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Enel was able to defillibrate himself, and apparently Aokoji's power is so instinctive he's basically immune to the Devil Fruit weakness of drowning because he reflexively freezes water beneath him.

Oda did say that Enel, having a top-tier Devil Fruit and knowing exactly how to use it, being very intelligent and charismatic despite being completely loco, and having powerful Haki/Mantra, would likely be a major threat on the Blue Sea and pretty much anywhere else he could go. Luffy was punching way above his weight and very lucky in he has exactly the power to counter lightning. (IIRC, Luffy's body isn't just any rubber, but some Platonic super-rubber)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 31, 2018

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Meme Emulator posted:

Oda would just answer a question about if pissing caused Crocodiles dick to turn solid instead

Do logias have to piss, or can they just turn their bodily waste into their element? When Ace throws a fireball, is he actually throwing his own poop?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Joseance posted:

Which logias have we seen that have extra effects that aren't just the element being produced? Crocodile, swamp guy and blackbeard?

Maybe the dessication is an effect of awakening his Logia

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

ZiegeDame posted:

Do logias have to piss, or can they just turn their bodily waste into their element? When Ace throws a fireball, is he actually throwing his own poop?

Did Ace eat a lot of spicy food?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ZiegeDame posted:

If a Logia user has to get surgery could they like turn thier liver into sand and move it outside thier body so its easier to operate on?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
logia's arent seen splitting themselves up so i think theres still an overall binding of their self they can just phase shift their body and guts without really reorganizing them

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Enel was able to defillibrate himself, and apparently Aokoji's power is so instinctive he's basically immune to the Devil Fruit weakness of drowning because he reflexively freezes water beneath him.

Oda did say that Enel, having a top-tier Devil Fruit and knowing exactly how to use it, being very intelligent and charismatic despite being completely loco, and having powerful Haki/Mantra, would likely be a major threat on the Blue Sea and pretty much anywhere else he could go. Luffy was punching way above his weight and very lucky in he has exactly the power to counter lightning. (IIRC, Luffy's body isn't just any rubber, but some Platonic super-rubber)

I like how Luffy says in their fight that even if he can’t beat Eneru that there are plenty of guys in the Blue Sea that could clean his clock; like freaking Zoro tanked multiple thunder pillars, and Zoro is a tough motherfucker but pre timeskip Zoro is kinda like a joke compared to, say, Garp or even most vice admirals we’ve seen.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Didn't Zoro spend like p much half of part one near dead? And he continued to get the poo poo kicked out of him. Dude's the toughest motherfucker around.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Are organs canon in OP? Most humans seem to be 50L bags of blood and willpower.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
law has removed a heart organ from several people

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

law has removed a heart organ from several people

there's your answer

they're real, but people don't need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Law has only removed hearts from people, which are needed to pump the gallons of blood each human in One Piece has.