Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hostess with the Moltres posted:

What are some good m!Corrin supports in Birthright?

Mitama, I suppose.

Corrin's pretty low on good supports. He doesn't really have a consistent voice, and most of them are just the other party going "Here's my gimmick". And even when he has a personality in a support, it's liable to be contradicted by some other support.

Unless you mean gameplaywise, in which case there are more answers, but it depends on what you want out of Corrin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

What are some good m!Corrin supports in Birthright?

Supports where they don't suck Corrin's dick. So like, Takumi and Saizo. I guess Hana too, but she's just completely fail and bad on every conceivable level. Scarlet is also good and has tons of personality and should be your waifu but she dies a gruesome death on 2/3 routes and has no non-Corrin supports because???

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Not really enjoying the map where a m8llion furries get to press a button that lets them go invincible and walk through my dudes at will

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just pump Effie full of Defense/HP Tonic and facetank everything you can. That map is a dumb gimmick though, or at least the part where the illusions are basically rear end in a top hat reinforcements.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mitama and scarlet are two of the only romantic supports I can think of where they actually seem to like corrin

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the f!corrin support where they squee over romance novels is good

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Zore posted:

Romantic or just good supports?

I like Saizo, Jakob, Azama, Setsuna and Scarlet. Takumi's is okay.

There are also some decent supports with the kids; mostly Shiro, Mitama and Selkie.

Romantic.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Supports where they don't suck Corrin's dick. So like, Takumi and Saizo. I guess Hana too, but she's just completely fail and bad on every conceivable level. Scarlet is also good and has tons of personality and should be your waifu but she dies a gruesome death on 2/3 routes and has no non-Corrin supports because???

Scarlet also has the whole "get all the kids" thing going for her too which is nice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Romantic.

Scarlet also has the whole "get all the kids" thing going for her too which is nice.

Yeah, Scarlet is hands down the best romantic support for m!Corrin in Birthright and arguably all three routes.

Honestly outside of her in Birthright you have like Oboro and Setsuna who really even work. Even the other woman Corrinsexual, Reina, is just your mom's BFF which makes romancing her really weird. Kid-wise, Mitama and Selkie are good but marrying kid units always skeeved me out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The gay Rahajat support in japanese was great, too bad it got thrown out for unknown reasons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly I really like Rhajat as a character if only because they actually bother to do some fun stuff with her in her supports unlike Asugi and Caeldori.

Sucks they changed her f!Corrin support.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Japanese Rhagat and Caeldori support was cuter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every support was better in the jp version :twisted:

okay except odin/selena.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Even m!Corrin/Soleil?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Endorph posted:

every support was better in the jp version :twisted:

okay except odin/selena.

Counterpoint: Beruka/Saizo C.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Senerio posted:

that's the worst one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senerio posted:

beruka/saizo c was way better in the jp version. it's actually one of the more interesting and decently written supports in the game, and they took it out for a gag that's already in the game anyway.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Eh, I read the translation and I like the translated version better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well you're objectively wrong.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

senerio and endorph attained support level c

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You joke but that's every c support

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so i haven't read the jp supports since before the english version came out - I remember playing that POS fan translation of the japanese version, it was terrible but fantastic.

but what I will say is that the best writing fates has done, period, is with the three returning awakening characters. like severa/laslow/odin had probably the best supports in fates, period.

Soleil's were fantastic too once you added in the gay S ranks.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It's almost like the Awakening characters were good to begin with (because there's not 200 of them so they don't boil down to one gimmick each), and the Fates characters are poo poo (because there are 200 of them so they do boil down to one gimmick each with an added dose of Corrin dick riding)!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

It's almost like the Awakening characters were good to begin with (because there's not 200 of them so they don't boil down to one gimmick each), and the Fates characters are poo poo (because there are 200 of them so they do boil down to one gimmick each with an added dose of Corrin dick riding)!

Buddy if you are trying to claim Owain, Inigo and Severa weren't largely defined by their main overarching character trait then I am sorry but I am going to have to politely but firmly disagree with you. That they have individual really really good supports doesn't really change that most of their supports are paint-by-numbers 'bounce gimmicks off each character' stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pureauthor posted:

Buddy if you are trying to claim Owain, Inigo and Severa weren't largely defined by their main overarching character trait then I am sorry but I am going to have to politely but firmly disagree with you. That they have individual really really good supports doesn't really change that most of their supports are paint-by-numbers 'bounce gimmicks off each character' stuff.

Severa I think least of all here because she's got the inferiority complex with her mother, but then there's the whole being really abrasive thing which is related but seperate and then there's the whole being a really girly girl as well. As they come in the later FE games she is one of the more three dimensional characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reinanigans posted:

awakening: 51 characters
fates: 60 characters

world of difference there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway the actual reason the kids (not the entire awakening cast, just the kids) are better than the fe fates cast is because they have an actual inherent backstory and interpersonal relationships. they aren't incredibly deep but it gives them grounding and texture in a way a lot of the other 3ds characters don't manage.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I ship ChromxOlivia only because the Chrom/Inigo and Brother!Inigo/Lucina supports are so good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Morgan probably spent more time with his/her sibling than any Of The fates kids who were all isolated in their own worlds

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the glory days of awakening, when characters weren't mainly defined by a single gimmick

Hmmm

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The kids are a huge part of why Awakening's characters are so fondly remembered. If not for them, I'd on the whole prefer Conquest's cast over its. It helps that most of the great Conquest characters aren't involved in any of the game's dumb plot points.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pureauthor posted:

I ship ChromxOlivia only because the Chrom/Inigo and Brother!Inigo/Lucina supports are so good.

I do because of Chrom's dialogue with Inigo.

Chrom smiles as he finds out his son is a Ladies' man. I know people love Pega Pony Princess but because it's so blatant I don't enjoy it as much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The awakening characters were finr if you cherrypicked the best 5 supports for each character. The tellius characters would look worse if they all had to triple their supports and add mandatory marriage.

Imagine haars sleeping gimmick 20 more times in por.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

You joke but that's every c support

that was the joke :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

yeah that's basically the long and short of it. haar's sleeping gimmick doesn't feel overdone cause it's only a big part of one support and two convos. even if you kept his good supports it'd make him feel really onenote if he leaned on it twenty more times.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I like to tease the Tellius character gimmicks a lot simply because I remember that one mage girl whose entire schtick was "has tapeworms." One-note character gimmicks would usually bother me, but I often find them pretty endearing in FE games. That one in particular, however, is just so dumb that it wraps around to humorous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a fan theory that ilyana is a half-lion or tiger branded. i kind of like it cause it'd explain both her appetite and her weird kinship with micaiah.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

anyway the actual reason the kids (not the entire awakening cast, just the kids) are better than the fe fates cast is because they have an actual inherent backstory and interpersonal relationships. they aren't incredibly deep but it gives them grounding and texture in a way a lot of the other 3ds characters don't manage.

This post is the truth.

In Fates, you, the player, don't even recruit most of the characters. The royal siblings recruited them before the start of the story. What were they doing before they joined up with Corrin? Missions for their boss. Who do they already know? Their boss, and their co-worker. They've got pasts, but none of those pasts ever catch up with them. They're motivated entirely by personal loyalty. Odin, Laslow, and Selena stand out because they already know each other.

Also you've got three or four people with the same backstory as Jagen. And one who has a shared history with Corrin, who forgot about it all, so his supports still follow the basic beats of getting to know someone, but without even considering the angle that maybe Silas is gaslighting you. And the kids, who literally grew up nowhere knowing nobody.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Severa I think least of all here because she's got the inferiority complex with her mother, but then there's the whole being really abrasive thing which is related but seperate and then there's the whole being a really girly girl as well. As they come in the later FE games she is one of the more three dimensional characters.

She's a girly girl who's also a hardened professional mercenary, which is an interesting contrast even if you ignore everything else about her. Unlike most of the dresses and accessories types in these games, she's not just in the fight because there's a good cause and desperate need, eager to return to only worrying about domestic concerns. Even when there's no major war, she makes her living by killing people, and is quite content with the setup. She's got a lot of angles for supports, which really helps.

Of course, it also helps that the kids have slightly fewer supports to deal with, and most of them have a gimmee hook (meeting the parents again, say) so they don't have to lean quite as hard on the base gimmick.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

Haar owns. I don't think there's a more dependable character than Seth or Titania (though Haar tries his damndest)

This is all assuming you don't make a perfect transfer Sothe :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I'm late to the party.

I've got conquest/birthright and am playing through birthright, now. Questions
-Are there any trap lovely characters, like that knight guy in awakening, who started off good but levelled up badly? (specifically, looking at the knight guy you get at the start in this one)
-Are the peasant/villagers good like Donell was in awakening? This villager 10 year old girl I have is so pathetic, acts like she's almost dead of exhaustion all the time
-is "talk" during battles a thing still? Where you only get some units if you talk to people?
-What DLC is must-get? I was surprised to see that there doesn't seem to be tons and tons of DLC for this like there was for awakening.

• Locked thread