Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I landed on Eldritch Archer for my final Trickster playthrough, but I'm secretly hoping that one of the new archetypes will be an interesting INT-based option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Out of the Big Six mythic paths I just have Trickster and Demon to do. What archetypes get revealed will probably inform what I'll go with when this drops.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Out of the Big Six mythic paths I just have Trickster and Demon to do. What archetypes get revealed will probably inform what I'll go with when this drops.

My first playthrough was Chaotic Neutral Demon and I liked it a lot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jack Trades posted:

Hmm...the description isn't making it clear whether or not it's a separate "campaign" or if it's going to be a part of the main campaign, and if it's the latter, where it's going to be placed.

Anyone happen to know anything about that?

It's part of the main campaign, unlocked in Act 5.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

It's part of the main campaign, unlocked in Act 5.

Ah, cool. Very good.

Since it takes place after the Act 5 jealousy scene, I wonder if the new romance content will break from the ToyBox polyamory toggle or not.:ninja:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Did they ever fix the Plague archetype so it isn't useless against most of the enemies?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wait, 11 new archetypes and one new weapon? That seems ridiculous.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its an uzi

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Wrong adventure path, but seeing Owlcat try to adapt Reign of Winter (specifically Rasputin Must Die!) would be very interesting, seeing as they probably have a better understanding of the region's history than Paizo ever did.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

EclecticTastes posted:

Wrong adventure path, but seeing Owlcat try to adapt Reign of Winter (specifically Rasputin Must Die!) would be very interesting, seeing as they probably have a better understanding of the region's history than Paizo ever did.

They’ve very specifically said they don’t want to do that one, because of how it handles the history.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There is truly nothing worth than having a very specific idea for a character's appearance and being unable to find art for it

Anyway I came back to this game for the first time in years and feyshifter rules

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I have been spending way too much time loving around with builds. It is addictive.

First playthrough on normal I did a disarm-focused aldori swordlord azata, now working on a core lich sorcerer and it's going well, withering spells is insane.

Currently planning a sadistic game design run with a kineticist aeon, because I want to see what aeon is all about, and kineticist seems really strong (even with no synergy on their mythic path) and decent for not resting often. I know nothing about how aeons work mechanically but they seem interesting from a plot perspective.

A few questions for the build enthusiasts though:
Am I correct in assuming that vital strike and snap shot won't work with ranged kinetic blasts?
Do things like greater and mythic trip add bonuses to bowling infusion knockdowns? I'm guessing and hoping yes.
It seems like kineticist doesn't get much if any benefit from hitting level 20, so I'm going to do a single level dip, but I'm not sure what would be best. Was debating zen archer just for wis to AC, but that isn't super appealing early because I want deadly earth asap, and the AC might amount to nothing useful later when I grab the level. I didn't see anything else useful though. Any suggestions?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Blockhouse posted:

There is truly nothing worth than having a very specific idea for a character's appearance and being unable to find art for it

Anyway I came back to this game for the first time in years and feyshifter rules

This seems like a narrow area where AI isn't such a bad solution.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hobojim posted:

Am I correct in assuming that vital strike and snap shot won't work with ranged kinetic blasts?
Do things like greater and mythic trip add bonuses to bowling infusion knockdowns? I'm guessing and hoping yes.
It seems like kineticist doesn't get much if any benefit from hitting level 20, so I'm going to do a single level dip, but I'm not sure what would be best. Was debating zen archer just for wis to AC, but that isn't super appealing early because I want deadly earth asap, and the AC might amount to nothing useful later when I grab the level. I didn't see anything else useful though. Any suggestions?

Vital Strike and Snap Shot do not work with kinetic blast.

Greater and Mythic Trip, as well as Fury's Fall and Tandem Trip (but Deadly Earth is party unfriendly so it's a bit limited in use) do buff Bowling infusion.

Vivisectionist Alchemist is pretty decent, getting you Mutagen for +4 Con and also 1d6 sneak attack. You lose 1 BAB, but that's not the biggest deal in the world.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ikanreed posted:

This seems like a narrow area where AI isn't such a bad solution.

The randos spamming me on Discord with pitches to do art for "my favourite OC" tell me that this would still take away opportunity from human artists

though ironically at least half of them are probably bots

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just steal art with Portramatic like a normal scofflaw

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SettingSun posted:

This Is The Way, yes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SettingSun posted:

The issue is I'm playing a gnome ad pathfinder gnomes are extremely distinct

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I saw on reddit the wonders of AI-generated artwork for DnD, because it lets you make a billion permutations of very specific aesthetics. Like pathfinder elfs' hosed up eyes.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Vital Strike and Snap Shot do not work with kinetic blast.

Greater and Mythic Trip, as well as Fury's Fall and Tandem Trip (but Deadly Earth is party unfriendly so it's a bit limited in use) do buff Bowling infusion.

Vivisectionist Alchemist is pretty decent, getting you Mutagen for +4 Con and also 1d6 sneak attack. You lose 1 BAB, but that's not the biggest deal in the world.

Thanks!

Seems like vivisectionist is always the choice lol

I guess expecting much interesting from one level dip halfway through the game is dumb though

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

The issue is I'm playing a gnome ad pathfinder gnomes are extremely distinct

Imagine my surprise when I downloaded a big portrait pack and a lot of the 'tieflings' were just draenei :v:

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
This is why you start by finding a portrait and then build your character entirely from that. Much easier!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Just generate your portrait and just accept that you can’t be lawful good all the time.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The villain in the final dlc looks like it's going to be Razmir, that one eternally lv19 dictator. Worldwound's handing out godhood like candy so him showing up makes sense

https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1789992013523247362

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So, quick question for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

I thought all touch spells you use against enemies are like, one chance to hit and if you miss, you blow it?

But on my current playthrough I just tried to use Bestow Curse on that named wisp at Old Sycamore (he's immune, which I should have assumed), but after missing the first touch Harrim just kept having the spell effect on his hand on three subsequent turns I just had him keep flailing his hands at the wisp trying to land Bestow Curse until he finally landed it on his fourth try and gave me the 'Actually this guy is immune' message.

It doesn't say in the spell description that the caster can just keep making grabby hands until he lands it.

Is that some kind of compensation for the fact that delivering the spell has two points of failure (touch AC and will save), a bug, or/and just a kind of weird implementation? I only just got rank 3 spells so it's not like I could have inadvertedly cast four instances of the spell in a row.

And of course, I've definitely blown lots of spellslots on missed shocking grasps or freezing touches whenever playing around with Reg so it caught me by surprise when I kept getting do-overs for Bestow Curse.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 14, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In PnP Pathfinder you can hold a touch spell you cast until you actually touch something (anything, so be careful). Admittedly I have never thought of this rule quirk in the context of KM or Wrath.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

SettingSun posted:

In PnP Pathfinder you can hold a touch spell you cast until you actually touch something (anything, so be careful). Admittedly I have never thought of this rule quirk in the context of KM or Wrath.

I'm open to the possibility that this is true for other melee touch spells and I just never noticed because the game doesn't really give you any particular note like "hey you missed, the spell charge is still available" in the combat scroll window beyond the character's hand still glowing. Very possible I missed the touch, could have tried again the following turn and just did something else or the fight was over.

I'm told the turn-based mode I'm using was grafted onto the game post launch and maybe in real time with pause I wouldn't even notice the character taking an extra try to land the touch in real time with pause.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/4155211502139959812

New Archetypes

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Titan Fighter sounds fun being able to dual wield two handed weapons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Monk - Drunken Master, intended as a tanking role

Slayer - Bloodseeker, explicitly based on the devs' favorite anime about hunting vampires and being part-vampire

Bard - Chelaxian Diva, an offense-focused bard that crushes the enemy with sonic blasts

Skald - Inciter, gains sneak attack that works with rage

Fighter - Titan, dual-wield two-handed weapons

Inquisitor - Living Grimoire, you are a magic living weapon with an adventurer attached

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Based on their description, Drunken Master sounds just like straight up Monk but better, with the only drawback being having to spent money on booze.

Bloodseeker turning into raven(?) form to drink blood is...strange? Is that an anime reference or did they not want to make a vampire bat model?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Loving the idea of the Living Grimoire

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Here are my takes on the new archetypes, based on their performance in tabletop (so, results may vary when filtered through Owlcat and translated to video game form):

Drunken Master: Generally considered alright. You lose all most of your defensive bonuses (Still Mind, Purity of Body, Diamond Body, and Diamond Soul), but you can get immunity to fear and up to 3 points of DR while drunk, and can spend your drunken ki points to add some extra d6s to your damage. Empty Body gets replaced with a fairly powerful fire breath attack. Be advised that one of your feats is earmarked for the Fast Drinker feat (which Owlcat will presumably add with the archetype), which lets you consume booze as a swift action rather than a standard, making it easier to replenish ki points in combat. If the feat isn't added, the archetype can run out of steam surprisingly easily (a few points of DR and immunity to fear is a pretty big downgrade compared to vanilla monk's features, particularly the SR; you really want to be tossing out that extra damage as often as possible to compensate).

Bloodseeker: Like all of Owlcat's homebrew, will probably be overpowered. Fun fact, Pathfinder actually released a Vampire Hunter D sourcebook for some reason, which included the wildly overspecialized and basically unusable Vampire Hunter class.

Chelish Diva: The correct conjugation is "Chelish", not "Chelaxian". In tabletop, they replace Bardic Knowledge with a geographically-limited (well, technically limited by population) bonus on Bluff and Intimidate. It's likely Owlcat will just make the bonus universal, which is fine, since affecting both Drezen and Kenabres would only require somewhere around level 9, anyway (realistically, the ability should be disabled during chapter 4 since it's based on the character's fame and renown, which they won't have in the Abyss, but it obviously won't be). Resistance to sonic effects and other bards is replaced with a bonus to their own performances' DCs. You lose Inspire Competence and gain a performance that deals very light sonic damage to a target (this is generally a bad trade). Instead of Dirge of Doom, you get a single-target performance that inflicts Frightened (it lasts for a few rounds after you switch targets; this is generally a mild upgrade, especially with Lingering Performance). You also lose Lore Master and instead become able to use medium and heavy armor. Given the description by Owlcat, they're giving it a significant buff, because it absolutely does not normally get Wail of the Banshee because that would be crazy (on the other hand, looks like the armor profs are being dropped). Overall, you're losing a fair bit of non-combat utility, which isn't super relevant in the video game, so while it's not a great archetype in tabletop, it seems like an upgrade here.

Inciter: More homebrew, so I'm going to assume overpowered.

Titan Fighter: That's not what the Titan Fighter is. Titan Fighters use oversized weapons without penalty and lose all the features that make Fighters worth playing in exchange, and sucks as a result. The version presented here is, then, more homebrew, but I can't imagine it being overpowered because you're probably still losing Weapon Training and Armor Training.

Living Grimoire: Yet more homebrew, based on their comments, but the original Living Grimoire is actually pretty neat. The original LG is Int-based, and a prepared caster rather than spontaneous (using the Warpriest's spell progression), which means you can gain spells from scrolls (assuming you can find scrolls of divine spells). Their personal book also works as a Sacred Weapon, and is treated as a cold iron light mace, so beating people to death with your book is very much part of the original archetype. You also get the ability to cast some of your spells freely once per day by having them tattooed on your body. The save-or-die is basically the same as True Judgement, but Int-based and locked to attacks with your book. In exchange, you lose Judgement and Bane (the latter is particularly relevant for Aeon players, since you lose out on combining your Banes). You also lose Monster Lore (not that bad given that it only existed to compensate for vanilla Inquisitor being Wis-based rather than Int) and Cunning Initiative (this is a bit of a bummer, but not devastating).

In terms of tabletop, Living Grimoire is the best of the four tabletop archetypes presented, and it and the Drunken Master are the two I'd consider good, with the other two being average and terrible, respectively. Definitely looking forward to the Living Grimoire, in particular.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is incidentally an actual Vampire Hunter D class for Pathfinder in a licensed tie-in product, but it's pretty mediocre.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm also scratching my head at blood sucking ravens

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Like all of Owlcat's homebrew, will probably be overpowered.

For every success story like instictual warrior, Arcane rider and Divine Hound, you get your failures like Imitators, Master of All and Nomads.
And plenty nothingburgers like the homebrew bard ones, Espionage Expert, Wind whisperer etc.

I will admit the last pack of archetypes was pretty good overall and had some interesting ideas, but still had a couple bombs.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Random question - do Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous use the same file structure for their portraits?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yes. You can copy your custom portraits folders from one game’s location to the other and it will just work.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I will play a Titan Fighter. I don't care if it's bad. Two Greatswords!

(But probably Greataxes because Owlcat hates Greatswords and loves Greataxes for some reason.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am hoping for new Kineticist and Shifter archetypes,, but someone on Steam suggested that we probably are getting archetypes for classes that didn't get them in the last DLC and I think both of them got an archetype last time.

Would have been nice if we could have gotten an Owlcat attempt at Swarm Shifter to take into Swarm that Walks.