Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

IMJack posted:

As a 1st level wizrd, you stay behind the meatshields and cast magic missile sparingly until you find a wand of the same among random treasure.

Seriously, doesn't V have any wands or scrolls? A wand of fireball should cost pocket change for a 12th level party.

Presumably if he did have one he has depleted all of its charges, or else he wouldn't have fled the battlefield..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
A wand is still pretty expensive for a 12th level party. The base cost of a wand is Spell Level x Caster Level x 750gp. Fireball is 3rd level (without any metamagic on it) times 10 (caps out at 10D6 damage, so no point in making it any more powerful) x 750gp, for 22,500gp. That might be a little overkill for a horde of hobgoblins, so tone it down by half and you still have 11,250gp to pay. Making one costs 1/25 in XP and 1/2 the cost. 6,625gp is hardly pocket change for a 12th level party.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 30, 2007

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

IMJack posted:

As a 1st level wizrd, you stay behind the meatshields and cast magic missile sparingly until you find a wand of the same among random treasure.

Seriously, doesn't V have any wands or scrolls? A wand of fireball should cost pocket change for a 12th level party.

Who casts Magic Missile at level 1? That's just 1d4+1 points of damage per day. Any level 1 wizard worth his salt is going to be at least rocking Sleep.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Endrite posted:

Who casts Magic Missile at level 1? That's just 1d4+1 points of damage per day. Any level 1 wizard worth his salt is going to be at least rocking Sleep.

Any level 1 Wizard who knows what he's doing is going to have more than one 1st level spell. Magic Missile is automatic damage, no roll to hit, no saving throw and at first level you're not dealing with Spell Resistance so it's a guarantee. Magic Missile certainly gets better when you're unloading more than one, but Sleep gets a saving throw and doesn't effect a lot of things that you're likely to be facing at first level like undead and elves. And undead elves. And once you hit second or third level you're going to be up against things with more than 4 hit dice and Sleep becomes useless.

Therefore Magic Missile is entirely superior to Sleep :colbert:

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

rantmo posted:

Any level 1 Wizard who knows what he's doing is going to have more than one 1st level spell. Magic Missile is automatic damage, no roll to hit, no saving throw and at first level you're not dealing with Spell Resistance so it's a guarantee. Magic Missile certainly gets better when you're unloading more than one, but Sleep gets a saving throw and doesn't effect a lot of things that you're likely to be facing at first level like undead and elves. And undead elves. And once you hit second or third level you're going to be up against things with more than 4 hit dice and Sleep becomes useless.

Therefore Magic Missile is entirely superior to Sleep :colbert:

The saving throw doesn't matter, because most level one monsters have lovely saving throws and nobody fights elves at first level. Also, since you're a wizard, the spells you have at level 1 don't really limit the spells you have later.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endrite posted:

The saving throw doesn't matter, because most level one monsters have lovely saving throws and nobody fights elves at first level. Also, since you're a wizard, the spells you have at level 1 don't really limit the spells you have later.

Magic Missile is completely useful, the saving throw is at least around 50% for Sleep if you're dealing with a DM that wants to have his characters succeed at saves. MM is awesome for shooting at characters with 100% cover, since it hits every time, and it's useful even at higher levels. Both are useful, but don't dismiss MM out of hand. If it wasn't awesome it wouldn't have a magic item devoted entirely to protecting from it.

bgaesop fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 30, 2007

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

rantmo posted:

Magic Missile is automatic damage, no roll to hit, no saving throw and at first level you're not dealing with Spell Resistance so it's a guarantee.
d4+1 damage averages 3.5, d8 damage averages 4.5. As an elf, you're better off just shooting them (unless they're behind cover). And even if they are behind cover, that's three of them a day, against the recommended four encounters a day on average.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Color Spray is where it's at for first level wizards, since it doesn't require a full-round action and disables everyone just as well and fewer things are immune to it, and it retains some efficacy against higher HD things, since stunning still makes them lose an action AND they drop their weapons. I'd rather just use a light crossbow if I have to try to deal damage, and memorize a Color Spray or two. Daze is also awesome at level 1 since it makes the target lose an action and is a cantrip.

I think elves having favored class: wizard is a cultural thing more than a "they make good wizards" thing.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Talkie Toaster posted:

He's an Elf wizard, so he's got Longbow too. I have no idea how any other race wizard copes with levels 1-2, other than just sitting them out.

I always used a crossbow after I ran out of spells.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Talkie Toaster posted:

d4+1 damage averages 3.5, d8 damage averages 4.5. As an elf, you're better off just shooting them (unless they're behind cover). And even if they are behind cover, that's three of them a day, against the recommended four encounters a day on average.

Assuming you hit, which is far from a guarantee as a 1st level Wizard. You use normal ranged attacks against the shock troops, but when it comes time to kill the boss of the dungeon, a Magic Missile is going to do more good than Sleep or Arrows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At his level, he should have a better base attack bonus than 90% of those goblins in any event.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Piell posted:

This is true. If you want to read a good comic, try Goblins.

I'm sorry, but Goblins is a terribly-drawn and poorly-written piece of navelgazing poo poo I would have been ashamed to read in high school. It registers on the same level as furry for me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Napoleon I posted:

Color Spray is where it's at for first level wizards, since it doesn't require a full-round action and disables everyone just as well and fewer things are immune to it, and it retains some efficacy against higher HD things, since stunning still makes them lose an action AND they drop their weapons. I'd rather just use a light crossbow if I have to try to deal damage, and memorize a Color Spray or two. Daze is also awesome at level 1 since it makes the target lose an action and is a cantrip.

I think elves having favored class: wizard is a cultural thing more than a "they make good wizards" thing.

Well, there's always grey elves.

Man, Vaarsuvius sure is stupid for choosing high elf instead of grey elf as his race. And what's with his barred schools, anyway? He's going to gain ultimate mastery of all magic...except for Mage Armor, which is forever beyond his powers?

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

I'm sorry, but Goblins is a terribly-drawn and poorly-written piece of navelgazing poo poo I would have been ashamed to read in high school. It registers on the same level as furry for me.

What this Presidential wrestler said. Amateurish and reeking of nerdy self-obsession, and he can't understand that violent switches of POV are confusing.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I keep reading Goblins, but the art is a bit distracting, as is the switch between 'ohh funny d&d joke!' and 'death death murder kill'. But.. I keep reading it. So there must be something there.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kojiro posted:

I keep reading Goblins, but the art is a bit distracting, as is the switch between 'ohh funny d&d joke!' and 'death death murder kill'. But.. I keep reading it. So there must be something there.

Hey I kept reading boband george for the longest time ebfore realziing it was poo poo and why was I still reading this. It just becomes a habit

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey I kept reading boband george for the longest time ebfore realziing it was poo poo and why was I still reading this. It just becomes a habit

I really like the way he portrays fights, the one that's going on right now is fairly epic by my reckoning.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Affi posted:

I really like the way he portrays fights, the one that's going on right now is fairly epic by my reckoning.

Get the gently caress out, Bob & George fights are just Duel of the Photoshop Filters.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Goblins, seeing as how Bob and George has ended and therefore no fights could be "going on right now."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fuego Fish posted:

Get the gently caress out, Bob & George fights are just Duel of the Photoshop Filters.

Spritist. This is just more of your trolling spritesecution. Who do you think you are, Maddox?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I used to enjoy Bob and George honestly, mainly the way the characters would gently caress with each other when it came to time travel mechanics. But man in retrospect it sucks. Then ending really sucked, too. The whole arc was mary sueing his characters versus another character that out mary-sues them. It's over now though, and I like the subcomic MSPaint Masterpieces by another guy on that site though.

The way he portrays fights is generally two people talking at each other saying they are GOING to fight, and then eventually maybe one of them actually does something.

But that's incredibly off topic.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bgaesop posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Goblins, seeing as how Bob and George has ended and therefore no fights could be "going on right now."

Oh, right. Duh me. Yeah, Goblins does some pretty sweet fight stuff. I still like the swamp fight from that, that was some good fightin' right there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

greatn posted:

I used to enjoy Bob and George honestly, mainly the way the characters would gently caress with each other when it came to time travel mechanics. But man in retrospect it sucks. Then ending really sucked, too. The whole arc was mary sueing his characters versus another character that out mary-sues them. It's over now though, and I like the subcomic MSPaint Masterpieces by another guy on that site though.

I liked B&G when it was actually about spoofing the storyline of the Mega Man games. Later in the series, once they were done with that, it just degenerated into endless crap with stupid new characters and "I hate time travel" over and over and over again.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

IMJack posted:

Fireball has been kind of absent from OOTS but you don't want to turn the strip into hobgoblin barbeque with a fully charged wand.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

greatn posted:

The way he portrays fights is generally two people talking at each other saying they are GOING to fight, and then eventually maybe one of them actually does something.

But that's incredibly off topic.

I don't suppose you could give me a quick summary of what happened, because I don't want to go back and read it, but knowing that it's ended is bugging me to know.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Kojiro posted:

I'm a fan of Goblins, but god damned it would be awesome if the guy would update more than once a month. Seriously though, sometimes it feels as if he puts more work in on his "Tempts Fate" thing than on the main comic.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Nosy_G posted:

I'm a fan of Goblins, but god damned it would be awesome if the guy would update more than once a month. Seriously though, sometimes it feels as if he puts more work in on his "Tempts Fate" thing than on the main comic.

He's been doing a lot better lately - it's always a few days late, but it's always on the right week. Only one or two pages generally, but he gets it done and gets it posted. Right now he's a lot more consistent than OOTS, which manages nowhere near the vaguely-planned "three-times-a-week" thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nosy_G posted:

To be fair, tempts fate is his comic that thanks fans for giving him money. It's technically his "job" comic, while Goblins is just his own project that people happen to enjoy. No matter how lovely he feels, he still puts out Tempts Fate because he promises people he will if they donate. If he shat out on that, he'd feel like he's let his fans down with nothing to fall back on and that'd just make him a dick in his own eyes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't suppose you could give me a quick summary of what happened, because I don't want to go back and read it, but knowing that it's ended is bugging me to know.

Bob kidnapped the author and hired minions from three different time periods to cause chaos to distract everyone. Eventually the plan was found out and it was a lot like that last episode of Star Trek TNG. Bob then fought everybody, every cahracter ever in the comic, the fight consisted mostly of them saying they'd shoot him and him saying he couldn't be beaten, then being beaten, but then getting up and being invincible, with more characters coming in and that cycle repeating.

Then when he decides to go supernova and destroy the universe, a shadowy figure steps in and stops his explosion. He reveals himself to actually be George. Bob then decides George won't do anything to stop him and goes to kill the Author, and George tries to shoot him in the back at full power. His blaster fails.

Then the author comes out, and some other author guy, and it turns out the whole thing was a bet to see whether or not George would kill Bob. The last few years were all part of the bet.

The end.

In the epilogue, all the Mega Man characters found out about Zero because of time travelling Zero blabbing. So instead of all dying, they all faked their own deaths, moved to a tropical island and lived happily ever after.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

ZorbaTHut posted:

Right now he's a lot more consistent than OOTS, which manages nowhere near the vaguely-planned "three-times-a-week" thing.

Rich changed the update schedule to "At random" at the beginning of July, due to health issues.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

greatn posted:

Bob kidnapped the author and hired minions from three different time periods to cause chaos to distract everyone. Eventually the plan was found out and it was a lot like that last episode of Star Trek TNG. Bob then fought everybody, every cahracter ever in the comic, the fight consisted mostly of them saying they'd shoot him and him saying he couldn't be beaten, then being beaten, but then getting up and being invincible, with more characters coming in and that cycle repeating.

Then when he decides to go supernova and destroy the universe, a shadowy figure steps in and stops his explosion. He reveals himself to actually be George. Bob then decides George won't do anything to stop him and goes to kill the Author, and George tries to shoot him in the back at full power. His blaster fails.

Then the author comes out, and some other author guy, and it turns out the whole thing was a bet to see whether or not George would kill Bob. The last few years were all part of the bet.

The end.

In the epilogue, all the Mega Man characters found out about Zero because of time travelling Zero blabbing. So instead of all dying, they all faked their own deaths, moved to a tropical island and lived happily ever after.

Okay, I stopped reading the comic long ago, but now I feel bad for liking it even when it was basically a Robot Master gag-a-day strip during the parodies. What a horrible ending.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

bgaesop posted:

Their base attack bonus is equal to one half their level, so 0 at level 1, 3 at 6 or 7, and so on. The three standard base attack bonuses are 1/2, 3/4, and 1. There's also 0 and 5/4 but those are rarer.
Hold on, what gets 5/4? :confused:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Strudel Man posted:

I'd guess the NPC warrior class? I'd probably be wrong though.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Strudel Man posted:

Nothing in official WOTC, but it's Monte Cook so it's really good.

Two classes from Iron Heroes get 5/4. IH is great by the way, you should check it out if you haven't. The Archer gets 5/4 with ranged weapons, and the Weapon Master gets 5/4 with his chosen specialty. They both max out at 25/20/15/10 at level 20, neither gets a fifth attack, just like an epic level normal character doesn't.

greatn posted:

I'd guess the NPC warrior class? I'd probably be wrong though.

Oh gods no, the NPC warrior class sucks. There's no way it would have an advantage over Fighter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bgaesop posted:

Oh gods no, the NPC warrior class sucks. There's no way it would have an advantage over Fighter.

Yeah, I read that as 4/5.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0479.html

New strip is up. Best mount ever, if perhaps the most limited.

Ohh new Erfworld too.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Isn't there a rule against having anything but a horse as a paladin mount?

Because that would be insanely useful in a sea-based campaign, especially with some of those underwater dungeons and caverns.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

J.A.B.C. posted:

Isn't there a rule against having anything but a horse as a paladin mount?

Because that would be insanely useful in a sea-based campaign, especially with some of those underwater dungeons and caverns.

Also I'm pretty sure paladins don't summon their mounts from pokeballs WHAT GIVES!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
No, pallys can have stuff that isn't horses. Gnomes and halflings can get smaller mounts, for example. My favourite idea for that was to have a gnome with a kangaroo mount. He could sit in the pouch! :haw:

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Kojiro posted:

No, pallys can have stuff that isn't horses. Gnomes and halflings can get smaller mounts, for example. My favourite idea for that was to have a gnome with a kangaroo mount. He could sit in the pouch! :haw:

But the pouch is full of gross goop.