Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tim Thomas posted:

Do yourself a favor: port and pump the slip ring. Physical barriers are awesome and all, but dust has a tendency to bounce before sticking, and you're fortunately in a pressure regime where you can use flow to your advantage. Even if it's not permanent, add three punchouts on your skirt 120 degrees apart and cap them, then blow out the slipring assembly on a regular basis. Having an exposed conductor (which will at the very least microarc as you move it) near dust isn't something I'd want to leave permanently exposed.

Just for reference, we've cracked open the trucks on linear bearings like these: http://www.linearbearings.com.au/Products/LinearRailGuides/THK/tabid/150/Default.aspx and have seen arc marks on the balls in certain applications where the ball was the continuity path before we established a common bond between the linear load and the fixed rail. That's 10kV, granted, and the stored energy is 1/2CV^2 but on the other hand we were in an inert, nonflammable environment, so it can't hurt to have a serviceable blowout.
Yeah, I was definitely planning on having a port to suck it out once in a while. I figure one on the top plate so I can clean downwards, and one on the bottom plate so I can roll the bearings past and give them a cleaning once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Do you mean "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms"? He's written 6 books on mushrooms...

That's the one, sorry. The appendix has some plans for a whole commercial setup but the rest of the book goes into detail on growing all the different varieties, and stuff on packaging, marketing, etc. The grow room plans don't talk much about lighting except mentioning moisture-proof fluorescent fixtures.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cpt.Wacky posted:

moisture-proof fluorescent fixtures.

Crap. Those go for like $50-$75 apiece and don't have a pull-chain. I guess pull chains aren't water tight... I would have to run a switch outside the grow room.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

kid sinister posted:

Crap. Those go for like $50-$75 apiece and don't have a pull-chain. I guess pull chains aren't water tight... I would have to run a switch outside the grow room.

The clapper. Also, most dry-type fixtures are rated for 0-95% humidity non-condensing. Wet- or damp-type fixtures are for direct water or occasional water spray. Really, putting a fluorescent fixture inside this thing means it's gonna rust up and fail within five years. Since most installations want stuff with longer life than a single lamp replacement, they spec damp- or wet-type fixtures when they KNOW there's gonna be humidity.

In your case, when both lamps burn out, you're gonna have to get a new $20 fixture along with the lamps. As far as a switch, cut in a roller switch halfway down the cord. Unless I'm misunderstanding this problem, you're not running a tropical rainforest under this hood, just someplace with reasonably tight controls on temperature and humidity. Normal house fixtures or light commercial fixtures will work just fine.

fake edit: I just checked the specs on some fluorescent ballasts. They let you remote-mount the ballast up to 18' away from the lamps, so you just run wires out to your lamp bases and don't worry about the ballast. The switch can go at the remote ballast location, too. Universal's crappiest low-end $8 electronic ballast is 0-105F, 0-100% humidty, type 1 outdoor rated. Don't soak it, it'll be fine.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I actually got one of those as a gag gift from my grandma when I was a kid. It should have been named The "Any Loud Noise"-er.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Crackpipe posted this in the industrial electricity A/T. This is simply far too good to not cross-post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Kn9JlXE5w

"We have a major electrical fire."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Three-Phase posted:

Crackpipe posted this in the industrial electricity A/T. This is simply far too good to not cross-post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Kn9JlXE5w

"We have a major electrical fire."

Dude, all that's missing is some guitars and swinging hair :rock:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kid sinister posted:

Dude, all that's missing is some guitars and swinging hair :rock:

I don't know if we absolutely should or absolutely should not send a link of this video to Till Lindemann.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 22, 2013

Kidsmoke
May 28, 2006

Electric Goons I need some wiring help. I have a dining room light fixture connected to a single pole switch with power running to my range hood. Everything was working fine then stopped suddenly last week. After tracing, found the problem at a ceiling fan in another room where the power source to the kitchen had wiggled loose. Corrected that, however I failed to take a picture of the wiring before troubleshooting in the kitchen and can't figure it out.

Power comes in at the ceiling to the dining light fixture. Two cables run from light fixture. One set of cables run to the light switch. One set of cables to the range hood. 14/2 NM-B wiring. The neutral from range hood was pigtailed to something, but I can't remember what. Initial wire up attempts trip the breaker. Removed the hood range wiring and have light and switched wired this way: Fixture black to black power, fixture neutral to switch neutral. Switch black to neutral power. How do I add the range hood back in to the mix?

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

range hood black should be tied in with the black power wire coming in and white neutral wire with the nuetral wire paired with the black power wire. basically ignore the switch loop from the light and picture just sending the power straight through to the hood fan. hopefully that makes sense.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Kidsmoke posted:

Electric Goons I need some wiring help. I have a dining room light fixture connected to a single pole switch with power running to my range hood. Everything was working fine then stopped suddenly last week. After tracing, found the problem at a ceiling fan in another room where the power source to the kitchen had wiggled loose. Corrected that, however I failed to take a picture of the wiring before troubleshooting in the kitchen and can't figure it out.

Power comes in at the ceiling to the dining light fixture. Two cables run from light fixture. One set of cables run to the light switch. One set of cables to the range hood. 14/2 NM-B wiring. The neutral from range hood was pigtailed to something, but I can't remember what. Initial wire up attempts trip the breaker. Removed the hood range wiring and have light and switched wired this way: Fixture black to black power, fixture neutral to switch neutral. Switch black to neutral power. How do I add the range hood back in to the mix?

Assuming there's a switch in the hood and it needs no external switching:
Connect black power from panel to black wire to hood and black wire to switch.
Connect white wire from switch to black fixture wire. Technically the white should be somehow identified as not a neutral.
Connect white neutral from panel to white hood wire and white .

Kidsmoke
May 28, 2006

crocodile posted:

range hood black should be tied in with the black power wire coming in and white neutral wire with the nuetral wire paired with the black power wire. basically ignore the switch loop from the light and picture just sending the power straight through to the hood fan. hopefully that makes sense.

This doesn't kick the breaker, but there's no power to hood light and fan.

black power wire - black ceiling light wire - black range wire - white neutral pigtailed range wire
white neutral power - switch black
switch white neutral - ceiling light neutral

And I'll give ncumbered's suggestion a try once my kid is asleep.

Kidsmoke fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 23, 2013

Kidsmoke
May 28, 2006

Thank you ncumbered_by_idgits, your instructions fixed everything and our house hasn't burned down! Thanks crocodile for your help too. Science bless you goons.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
What is best practice for runs where cat5/coax/similar must run along side or cross over mains?
Or does it even matter?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

What is best practice for runs where cat5/coax/similar must run along side or cross over mains?
Or does it even matter?

One of the industrial rules-of-thumb is to avoid running signal wires in parallel with power wires. Crossing at a 90 degree angle is OK. The length of the run also makes a difference - if they are close and in parallel for a few inches or a few hundred feet.

It also makes an impact what is going on with the mains - if we're talking about a 12AWG 120V cable that feeds a few receptacles in a room, or three 2/0 cables going between the output of a 480V motor drive to a motor, where you're going to have a ton of harmonic noise depending on the drive topology.

If the signal cables are shielded, twisted-pair, or both, they will be much more immune to noise. If the cable is shielded, it must be grounded at one end only to ensure that a ground-loop doesn't occur.

The coax will probably be fairly immune, and I believe the cat-5 uses a series of twisted pair wires.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 24, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Three-Phase posted:

I believe the cat-5 uses a series of twisted pair wires.

Yup, all CATs use twisted pair. The higher the CAT-number and revisions, the more tightly twisted the pairs are and the less susceptible they are to crosstalk and interference. The code reflects this now, about how low and mains voltage cables aren't allowed to share a raceway anymore.

Also from experience, you will want to avoid older non-electronic fluorescent ballasts if possible.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Or does it even matter?

The rules we use for feeders are perpendicular crossings only, and if runs need to be parallel then they can do so for 10 feet maximum with a minimum separation between power and AV of 48".

For CAT5 we say a 12" separation but even then I wouldn't worry about it. The stuff you really have to worry about for interference is analog stuff like speaker cable and analog controls.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kid sinister posted:

Yup, all CATs use twisted pair. The higher the CAT-number and revisions, the more tightly twisted the pairs are and the less susceptible they are to crosstalk and interference. The code reflects this now, about how low and mains voltage cables aren't allowed to share a raceway anymore.

If you're using a cable tray, aren't you allowed to have one side for signal wires, and another side for low voltage power wires, as long as there's a metal partition separating them?

I've seen some installations where you have several 4-20mA signals, 24VDC power, thermocouples, and soforth on the left side of the tray, there's a metal barrier, and then there's power cables (120V and even 480V, all usually in 600V rated THHN power cable) on the right side.

Low voltage only in the same tray. Medium-voltage stuff like 6900V or 14kV was in an armored EPR triplex cable (generally 1/0 to 500kcmil) in a separate tray.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 25, 2013

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Outside of future owners wishing for my firey death, is there anything in code that prevents me from using solid state relays to control lighting fixtures in my (Kansas) house, and having the lightswitches be low-voltage? This lets me do things like control the SSRs with an Arduino or the like.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

Outside of future owners wishing for my firey death, is there anything in code that prevents me from using solid state relays to control lighting fixtures in my (Kansas) house, and having the lightswitches be low-voltage? This lets me do things like control the SSRs with an Arduino or the like.

I also wanted to do this, but figured I'd run 14/2 (or whatever) for even the low voltage stuff, so I could revert to a conventional system by just tying it all together in the basement (or wherever my SSRs and controller would end up) and replacing the switches. It wouldn't be cheap since you'd end up using a lot more romex than you would otherwise, but at least you wouldn't be pulling wire again down the road.

Low-voltage systems were popular around here in the late '60s and early '70s. Probably 24 VAC or something, relays near the power panel typically.

Sorry, no idea on the current codes for this kind of thing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Would it not be simpler to use regular home automation hardware and a matching Arduino shield? I guess that stuff's expensive, but home automation is expensive in general.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

insta posted:

How low would the voltage be? I actually ran into a problem with that for the switch to my parents' gas fireplace. If I remember correctly, the specs for the relay were so low (1.5V DC @ ~300mA I think) that a regular 120V switch wouldn't close and make contact.

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Low-voltage systems were popular around here in the late '60s and early '70s. Probably 24 VAC or something, relays near the power panel typically.

Lots of HVAC equipment uses 24VAC for heating and cooling calls.

Speaking of low voltage, call me crazy but I think that I could see within the next decade or two that some type of USB-like plug will become standard in future homes, combining low voltage DC power and data/home networking.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 26, 2013

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
USB wall outlets already exist. Just for power afaik, though.

e: and of course PoE has been around for a while, although I don't think I've really heard of it being used much, if at all, in homes.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 26, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can get usb keystone jacks for hooking up whatever you want, within range of usb of course.I'm using one for a computer in my basement, with the tv in my family room. The computer's only presence in the room is a small keystone plate with hdmi, ethernet, and usb, the last of which goes to a small hub in the family room for the wireless mouse/keyboard dongles, and anything else I might want to plug in.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

kid sinister posted:

How low would the voltage be? I actually ran into a problem with that for the switch to my parents' gas fireplace. If I remember correctly, the specs for the relay were so low (1.5V DC @ ~300mA I think) that a regular 120V switch wouldn't close and make contact.

Lots of HVAC equipment uses 24VAC for heating and cooling calls.

Speaking of low voltage, call me crazy but I think that I could see within the next decade or two that some type of USB-like plug will become standard in future homes, combining low voltage DC power and data/home networking.

The trigger voltage for most SSRs I've found is 3-32V at 10ma. I'd probably use 24V, and run thermostat wire or something similar. The Arduino/whatever could use simple BJTs to drive that.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

One Day Fish Sale posted:

I also wanted to do this, but figured I'd run 14/2 (or whatever) for even the low voltage stuff, so I could revert to a conventional system by just tying it all together in the basement (or wherever my SSRs and controller would end up) and replacing the switches. It wouldn't be cheap since you'd end up using a lot more romex than you would otherwise, but at least you wouldn't be pulling wire again down the road.

Sorry, no idea on the current codes for this kind of thing.

Why solid state? It's not hard to use a single fet to drive a real relay which will be much cheaper. A quick look at the Panasonic AQ-A SSR for example shows that it's only good for about 6A without a massive heatsink (despite its 40A advertised rating), and it's $50 bucks. That's pretty much how it is for SSRs. Regular relays on the other hand can do this for a couple bucks.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bad Munki posted:

You can get usb keystone jacks for hooking up whatever you want, within range of usb of course.I'm using one for a computer in my basement, with the tv in my family room. The computer's only presence in the room is a small keystone plate with hdmi, ethernet, and usb, the last of which goes to a small hub in the family room for the wireless mouse/keyboard dongles, and anything else I might want to plug in.

Last I heard a lot of those USB-power outlets cannot charge high-draw items like iPads.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That may be true, but the keystone jacks are different: they're just a USB connector on each side, so the other side would run via a standard usb cable to a computer, which I'd hope could at least trickle charge an ipad, unless you can't charge them off of computers at all?

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about :

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10426&cs_id=1042607&p_id=6561&seq=1&format=2

Front:

Back:

Just goes in a standard keystone blank. :)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Well, that jack is useless anyway. It's two USB-A female connectors. All you can do with that is plug two device cables together. At the very least it should be an A male to an A female, so you can use a USB extension to connect it to a host.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can get male-to-male dongles for the backside, actually, at which point everything's sexual orientation adds up. But I agree, it's weird, but I've been unable to find a male-to-female jack.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Three-Phase posted:

Last I heard a lot of those USB-power outlets cannot charge high-draw items like iPads.

That really comes down to amperage. All USB uses 5V DC. According to specs, any USB port that handles data is limited to a max of 0.5A under USB 2.0 and 0.9A under 3.0, at least when data is being sent back and forth. The newest Apple plug-in USB charger is rated for 12W. Apply a little Watt's Law and it puts out 2.4A.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

kid sinister posted:

That really comes down to amperage. All USB uses 5V DC. According to specs, any USB port that handles data is limited to a max of 0.5A under USB 2.0 and 0.9A under 3.0, at least when data is being sent back and forth. The newest Apple plug-in USB charger is rated for 12W. Apply a little Watt's Law and it puts out 2.4A.
Surprised the hell out of my once when I was (I thought) charging my droid smartphone via USB while using it when a warning popped up and said that the phone was draining the battery faster than it was charging and I needed to be careful.

Only happened once; I forget what I was doing, but it was an aberration. Still, these can be high-drain devices.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

grover posted:

Surprised the hell out of my once when I was (I thought) charging my droid smartphone via USB while using it when a warning popped up and said that the phone was draining the battery faster than it was charging and I needed to be careful.

Only happened once; I forget what I was doing, but it was an aberration. Still, these can be high-drain devices.

I use an Android phone as my ISP, and the charger that came in the box cannot charge the phone when it's in 4G WIFI hotspot mode. I got a $10 2A power brick, and it works fine. The stock charger is a 1100mA, so that thing is sucking down over 1.1A with all the radios on. Both of my laptops refuse to dump out out-of-spec power to the phone on a data cable (charge-only is fine), but my computer will charge AND send data at the same time; cheap USB chipset, I guess.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Can I install mount where the ceiling meets the wall, with the included brackets, a 1500-Watt Quartz Overhead Electric Heater on my enclosed front porch without burning my house down? The porch has about 9ft ceilings.
Just want to be able to take the chill off so we can eat dinner out on the front porch in early spring and late fall.

edit:wording

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 27, 2013

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Can I install a 1500-Watt Quartz Overhead Electric Heater on my enclosed front porch without burning my house down? The porch has about 9ft ceilings.
Just want to be able to take the chill off so we can eat dinner out on the front porch in early spring and late fall.

"Install" is a pretty broad term but you should be fine as long as there's nothing flammable nearby.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I asked this in the general question thread I got directed over here. In short

I am in need of some electrical advice. I have a high voltage, high frequency, low current electrical device, a plasma globe. Now what I need is a way to oscillate it on and off, perhaps a dial that I can use to change the frequency of the oscillation. If it was electronics I would know where to start but with this essentially analog static electricity I'm bit lost. Anyone got any ideas here?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The plasma globe power supply is just a flyback transformer, right?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's a simple rf coil, not a flyback transformer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So, I'm kicking around the idea of picking up an electric car (turns out the lease on a Leaf is now roughly equal to my monthly spend on gas for my Ranger) which of course means I'll need to charge it. However, I don't want to garage it unless I absolutely have to.

Annoyingly for my wallet, my garage / driveway are on the opposite side of my house from the electrical panel, with a bedroom in between as shown by this amazingly precise diagram:

If I had one of the mirrored layout homes (i.e. like my next door neighbor) my panel would be around the corner from my driveway, I'd pop in another breaker and a L6-20R in an outdoor enclosure, and be done with it. I already have (thanks to the previous owner of the house) a 120V 15A circuit with an exterior outlet box at my panel, makes yard work with electric implements nice and easy - but from there to the driveway is at least 30' and I don't think any sane charge setup will reach that far.

In general, what is code like for running conduit / outside outlets? My HOA can be intermittently anal-retentive, but I'm thinking it would be relatively easy to run conduit down to just above ground level, flush up against the outside of the house, and then come back up to a reasonable height and stick the outlet at the front of the driveway where I currently have a broken garage door keypad. Or can I trench it and come up at the driveway? Or am I going to be paying an electrician to crawl around in my attic space and fish cabling over the front bedroom to drop the outlet along the inside wall of the garage, near the garage door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

n general, what is code like for running conduit / outside outlets? My HOA can be intermittently anal-retentive, but I'm thinking it would be relatively easy to run conduit down to just above ground level, flush up against the outside of the house, and then come back up to a reasonable height and stick the outlet at the front of the driveway where I currently have a broken garage door keypad. Or can I trench it and come up at the driveway? Or am I going to be paying an electrician to crawl around in my attic space and fish cabling over the front bedroom to drop the outlet along the inside wall of the garage, near the garage door?

It depends on the conduit, really. In general, a strap within 3' of a box and every 10' thereafter. Box must be securely fastened to the wall.

Or you could trench.

Or you could run through the attic. It's up to you, however you want to do it. I think PVC in the ground would be easiest. What kind of current requirements does the charging setup have?