Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

the Bunt posted:

I really enjoyed the new Architects album. Not too keen on that overproduced clean singing though. I really like the end of the last song, but the first 3 minutes of it sound like Dawson Creek

I really don't enjoy this type of metalcore, but yeah this album was surprisingly good I thought. Wasn't OH MY GOD THIS IS loving AWESOME to me, but I'll listen to it from time to time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

alg posted:

Will Goodyear (formerly of BtBaM) has a new band called Grohg, they released a 4 song EP available for $donation. Pretty cool stuff, I like track 2 in particular

http://grohg.bandcamp.com/

I am a huge fan of his old solo acoustic stuff. This Grohg stuff is kind of boring in my opinion. Expected more the guy.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

MMMCCLI posted:

Yeah this is my sentiment exactly, I'm all for brutal vocals but when you can't actually make out a word that's being said, time to give up.

Then you're not for brutal vocals then? That's usually a selling point.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

NarkyBark posted:

I'd consider Acacia Strain's vocals to be quite brutal, but you can still make out most of what he's saying.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

What's the point of even having lyrics if you can't make out the words? Might as well just growl into the microphone not saying anything. It's dumb, that's not to say I don't appreciate the occasional pig squeal, nonsensical growl or whatever, just not all the time thanks.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

MMMCCLI posted:

What's the point of even having lyrics if you can't make out the words? Might as well just growl into the microphone not saying anything. It's dumb, that's not to say I don't appreciate the occasional pig squeal, nonsensical growl or whatever, just not all the time thanks.

I can definitely understand the lyrics after reading over them once or twice while listening to bands with harsh vocals.* I honestly don't think harsh vocals are "dumb", but are used to compliment the music, (don't think of the vocals as just a vehicle for lyrics) but I'm the type of person who thinks "singy" vocals mixed with harsh vocals usually just take me out of the song (there are definitely exceptions to this).

*Converge is an exception to this. Chirp chirp, beep beep.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
new Ghost Inside album is now available for illegal stealing. I don't endorse this activity but my roommate got it and I'm listening from the other room and it owns so far!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

krustster posted:

new Ghost Inside album is now available for illegal stealing. I don't endorse this activity but my roommate got it and I'm listening from the other room and it owns so far!

oh god brother, I need to hear that asap

also new Whitechapel has dropped on the internet, cop it fools

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Yes I forgot to mention I obtained that Whitechapel tape by legitimate means and I think it's really good. They mix things up a bit joe. I've listened to it a number of times and enjoy it more each time~

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Only listened to the new Whitechapel one time but so far I like it. A bit groovier than New Era Of Corruption and it kept my interest the whole way through, unlike some of their previous stuff.

Good step forward for the band.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Confirmed,,,, new Ghost Inside tape is extremely good. I predict some mild controversy as there is a little bit of regular singing (on two songs there's a catchy posi-core chorus and one song has a brief bit from some random special guest before he starts yelling) but it's done well and I don't think it compromises the tape at all. Some songs like "Slipping Away" and "The Great Unknown" and especially "Test the Limits" seem to be among the band's best~

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I've now listened to the new Whitechapel album 4 or 5 times, and it's WAY better than anything they've previously done. Big step forward for the band.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'm going to hear it again today, but on my only listen through it yesterday it wasn't doing much for me. In my books, Whitechapel's in the grouping of Stupid Repetetive Breakdown Gym Music along with Terror, Emmure, Liferuiner, etc. I'm kind of... scared of them learning to actually write music, lol

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've now listened to the new Whitechapel album 4 or 5 times, and it's WAY better than anything they've previously done. Big step forward for the band.

Ditto, I wish it were a little longer but oh well.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Wamsutta posted:

I'm going to hear it again today, but on my only listen through it yesterday it wasn't doing much for me. In my books, Whitechapel's in the grouping of Stupid Repetetive Breakdown Gym Music along with Terror, Emmure, Liferuiner, etc. I'm kind of... scared of them learning to actually write music, lol

Terror? Are you high?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

Whitechapel does not belong in then same category with any of those bands.

Also yes, I would advise you to listen to it again. Try to put any pre-conceived notions about it aside.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
BLEH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZoXAkEbFJQ

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

Welp this is great. Any suggestions for bands like this outside Trapped Under Ice, Terror, Reign Supreme, 50 Lions?

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Donnybrook, Most Precious Blood, Dead End Path, Naysayer, Paper Trail, S.O.S. (with Scott Vogel). And a million more I can't be bothered typing ;)

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Foundation, Stray From the Path, Cruel Hand, Lionheart, Sworn Enemy, Outbreak...and the list goes on

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks, will be czeching them out.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Whitechapel does not belong in then same category with any of those bands.

Also yes, I would advise you to listen to it again. Try to put any pre-conceived notions about it aside.

I've listened to it a couple more times and I enjoy it, it's definitely their "best" record but I don't know if I think it has their best songs, if that makes sense.

Anyway, Whitechapel is cool.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MMMCCLI posted:

Thanks, will be czeching them out.

First Blood is the most important of such bands. Also Sworn Vengeance and Most Precious Blood

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Foundation, Stray From the Path, Cruel Hand, Lionheart, Sworn Enemy, Outbreak...and the list goes on

I'm really really really surprised to see outbreak on that list.

That lionheart video is really awkward and it is not a very good song.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

I've listened to it a couple more times and I enjoy it, it's definitely their "best" record but I don't know if I think it has their best songs, if that makes sense.

Anyway, Whitechapel is cool.

No it makes sense. I see where your coming from; after listening to it even more I almost agree with you.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I will admit that Liopnheart's videos come off a little cheesy, but MAN, do they DESTROY it at a live show.

Someone back me up here.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I will admit that Liopnheart's videos come off a little cheesy, but MAN, do they DESTROY it at a live show.

Someone back me up here.

Confirming this. Hadn't heard Lionheart until I went to see the Acacia Strain with them opening, came out a big fan.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

That newest Lionheart tape is good, but I was still really disappointed with it compared to Built On Struggle. There aren't any tracks on it that can really compare to "Relentless" or "the Bend Before the Break" or my favorite, PURE loving ANGER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h1bmqJENq4

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Every time I listen to Lionheart I feel like I'm going to get stabbed.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah this is my first time hearing Lionheart and I'm totally getting Victory-era Hatebreed vibes - aka the best gym music ever.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Gonna go to this in Oakland! anyone else?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The new Ghost Inside tape is thoroughly wild and sick almost to a point I can't understand. This Is What I Know About Sacrifice made me want to crowd-mosh people at the gym and Test The Limits is in immediate contention for my favorite song they've ever done

Owns, owns, owns, owns

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Agreed. I've heard a lot of TGI via friends and Pandora, but never actually had one of their albums til this one and HOLY. gently caress. I've been missing out!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I'm listening to the new TGI album now and it's only my first impression but it just may be contender for most boring loving album of all time.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

^ Look how wrong this guy is.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Hey guys this new album came out where every song sounds exactly the same who wants to start a circle jerk about it?!

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Oh, you must be new to Deathcore. Your welcome package should be in the mail.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The new TGI is only ok IMO. Test the Limits and Engine 45 are really good, and the breakdown in Sacrifice is pretty sick, but everything else is kinda meh.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Oh, you must be new to Deathcore. Your welcome package should be in the mail.

The Ghost Inside isn't deathcore wtf are you even talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I disagree vehemently re: TGI's new record, ShoogaSlim, but lmao @ calling them deathcore by any stretch of the imagination. More likely than not, forums poster "OnlyJuanMon" just wanted to drop his top-shelf burn without having ever heard TGI and just assumed they were a deathcore group,,