Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

baka kaba posted:

Start going through the lessons on JustinGuitar just to get your fingers working and to get used to how playing guitar feels (you won't need an amp yet, so long as you can actually hear the guitar). Even having a little bit of experience will help you start to realise what feels more comfortable to you, instead of every guitar feeling like the same alien object

Hadn't seen that site before, thanks! I'll take a look.

Warcabbit posted:

My first statement: A guitar should make you want to play.
My second statement: If you have a hero or someone whose music you aspire to sound like one day, then having a guitar that comes within, eh, twenty percent of matching it, is worth thinking about. Most cheap guitars can come within that twenty percent. It's the 'matching it within 1 percent or less' that gets expensive.

On the other hand, it should also be comfortable to you. Personally, I think the cutaway shape of a stratoid is more comfortable than a LP, but it's your call.

So, when I say 'what sound do you want', I mean 'oh god I want to sound like Slash one day' or 'I have always adored Creedence Clearwater Revival' or 'I really like Buddy Holly. Shut up, he's awesome.' What do you want to play? Who do you want to be? Sure, you're going to eventually wind up being yourself, but even Jimi Hendrix had Buddy Guy as his inspiration.

As far as an amp is concerned, I'm pretty sure we can find you a nice cheap one, but for just starting, playing unplugged is fine too.

Where do you want to play: Your bedroom next to your parents. Outside in the back yard. In the garage. In school. All of these options have different answers to the kind of amp you want. For example, next to your parents means you _don't_ want something horribly loud. On the other hand, in the garage or in school, you're going to have a huge open area and anything too small will wash away in openness and ambient noise.

Rogue ST-4? Yep. That's a startocaster, all right, and good for screwing around with.

To start from the last question, fortunately I live by myself, however that is in an apartment building. The walls are pretty solid, I rarely hear anyone else at all, but I wish to keep good relations with the neighbors. I also get off work at midnight, so the appeal of being able to plug in headphones if I want to play at 3AM is pretty high up there.

Same guy who loaned me the guitar said he might have a line on a gently used Roland micro cube.

Sounds is still tough for me to describe, since I've never really had a favorite guitarist. Spent most of the day thinking about it, and I like the sound Franz Ferdinand has in a lot of their stuff along with Asian Kung-Fu Generation, and Modest Mouse. Actually, about probably 70-80 of the songs in the recent 100 riffs video I like. My tastes are wide and my playlist on shuffle is weird.

Though after watching a lot of stuff, and listening to a lot of things. I think a Strat is what I'm looking for. I like the way it looks, a lot of the stuff I like is played with a Stratocaster.

I stopped by a Guitar Center today since I was nearby, and they had a Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster for $225. Any reason that wouldn't be something worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I believe we have a winner with a Microcube and a Vintage Modified Strat.

I'm glad you spent the day thinking about it. It's good to go into these things at least a little eyes wide open. Now, pay attention to justinguitar, buy a Snark headstock tuner, and just keep practicing.

Rock on, man.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 13, 2012

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PirateDentist posted:

Hadn't seen that site before, thanks! I'll take a look.
Once you start getting to about Stage 7-8 on JustinGuitar, I'd suggest also checking out the Pebber Brown videos and exercises. (his full YouTube video lists are here) The stuff he teaches starts to merge into the late Beginner and Intermediate stuff on JustinGuitar.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PirateDentist posted:

Though after watching a lot of stuff, and listening to a lot of things. I think a Strat is what I'm looking for. I like the way it looks, a lot of the stuff I like is played with a Stratocaster.

I stopped by a Guitar Center today since I was nearby, and they had a Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster for $225. Any reason that wouldn't be something worth getting?

Honestly I wouldn't bet on it, a lot of bands use a variety of guitars like Telecasters, Jazzmasters and Jaguars, as well as non-Fender stuff of course. I can't see a Strat in any of the videos you've posted (not that videos show what was actually used), but it's hard to tell guitar models apart at first - but I've never seen Isaac Brock with one anyway.

But point is you can pretty much use any guitar for any kind of music, they have different builds and tonal characteristics that might make them better suited to a certain sound or style, but that's more a matter of taste. If you ever get to a point where those differences are meaningful, then you'll know what you're looking for in another guitar. So if you like the sound and feel and look of Strats, go for it! You'll still be able to play all the stuff you want to and get all the sounds you want, no matter what people in your favourite bands play

VM Strats seem to be selling new for that price now (there are a few models), so yeah that's a fair deal so long as it's new. Only thing I'd say is if it's a Surf Strat (like this) they have unusual pickups, which aren't necessarily bad but they're not the standard Strat sound exactly - maybe a bit more twangy and brittle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BQCob2Zxk
Anyway, good choices and I really doubt you'll regret starting out with that setup!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
By the way, that 100 riffs video? That's a '58 strat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpr-Zy_wRs
Dig the same gimmick... on a beat up old Tele. Bill Kirchen, ladies and gentlemen, and a Hot Rod Lincoln.

It's important that your guitar speaks to you. But once you've got your guitar right, you can do whatever the hell you want with it. That 100 licks, there's some issues here and there, mostly humbucker-less songs, but some _very minor_ technique bits. (upstrokes in a Ramones song?) but the point is, once you're good enough, you will sound like the noises you want to make.

Edit: Hey, found the full list of gear used.
Alex's pedalboard for this video contains in order: Boss TU-2 Tuner -> Boss CS-3 Compressor -> Jim Dunlop Cry Baby -> Earthquaker Devices Bit Commander -> Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer w/Analogman JRC4855D Range Expander Mod -> Ernie Ball Volume -> JHS Mini Foot Fuzz -> Malekko Omicron Analog Trem -> Boss DD-7 Digital Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> T-Rex Room-Mate Tube Reverb

Fender '57 Reissue Tweed Deluxe.

Where'd he use the Bit Commander?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 13, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
UK goons: where would you go in London to buy a new guitar amp?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ In that London? Might wanna say what you're looking for exactly, if you're just out to browse the current popular gear you could go to a chain like Dawsons, or are you looking for some hidden used valve goodness?

Warcabbit posted:

Where'd he use the Bit Commander?

Maybe that's it giving him the octave/synth effect on 96 and 100? (Maybe it showed up earlier too)

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Is there a rhyme or reason to numbering for the RG models that Ibanez puts out? I mean, Gibson Les Pauls are easy: Customs are top-tier, Studios are higher end and Standards are mid-range. Ibanez seems to put out 15 different RGs each year, all with wacky numbering and different setups. When I see used RGs, I have no idea what I'm looking at so they are hard to price correctly. It's killing me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bazanga posted:

Is there a rhyme or reason to numbering for the RG models that Ibanez puts out? I mean, Gibson Les Pauls are easy: Customs are top-tier, Studios are higher end and Standards are mid-range. Ibanez seems to put out 15 different RGs each year, all with wacky numbering and different setups. When I see used RGs, I have no idea what I'm looking at so they are hard to price correctly. It's killing me.

Yeah, there is, actually. The first number is the "quality level" you could say, the next indicates the pickup configuration or whether or not it has a pickguard. The final number (aside from 7 and 8 strings) indicates whether it is a fixed bridge or a trem-equipped guitar.

edit: and when looking at used ones, it good to note whether or not it's a MIJ one.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

baka kaba posted:

^^^ In that London? Might wanna say what you're looking for exactly, if you're just out to browse the current popular gear you could go to a chain like Dawsons, or are you looking for some hidden used valve goodness?

Looking to try out and hopefully buy a guitar amp in the £500ish range. I don't know anything about amps but I know I vaguely want to try some Voxes and some Fender things.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

muike posted:

Yeah, there is, actually. The first number is the "quality level" you could say, the next indicates the pickup configuration or whether or not it has a pickguard. The final number (aside from 7 and 8 strings) indicates whether it is a fixed bridge or a trem-equipped guitar.

edit: and when looking at used ones, it good to note whether or not it's a MIJ one.

Ah, that makes much more sense. So I'm guessing that the Japanese made guitars are pretty much always better quality than their non-Japan counterparts?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah, they get higher quality components and woods, and more attention in the setups than the Korean and Indonesian imports the lower end models have been for the past decade or so.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Popcorn posted:

UK goons: where would you go in London to buy a new guitar amp?

Denmark street. It's about five minutes from Tottenham Court Road station and has 4/5 independent guitar shops on it.

Jives
May 1, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Looking to try out and hopefully buy a guitar amp in the £500ish range. I don't know anything about amps but I know I vaguely want to try some Voxes and some Fender things.

It might be worth checking gumtree for used stuff if you're in London. I got a pretty much mint condition vox night train for £180 a month or so ago.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

Dig the same gimmick... on a beat up old Tele. Bill Kirchen, ladies and gentlemen, and a Hot Rod Lincoln.

That's pretty great.

I'm going to go buy my guitar later today (Sunday), micro cube won't arrive until some time later in the week, but that's fine. I did the first actual playing lesson from Justinguitar (D chord) with the borrowed Rogue earlier. I made a sound, but holy poo poo my hand and fingers hurt. They're all stupid and don't want to bend that way yet.

So besides the guitar, strap, strap locks, and tuner. Anything else I should pick up while I'm there? The amp is arriving with a 10ft instrument cable thrown in, so I'm set there.

I'm pretty psyched at this point for being at the edge of such a long trail. Thanks for all the advise and suggestions so far!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
They gonna hurt, boy.

A: Get a planet waves strap with the built in lock.
B: Get a red Snark tuner. Black if red's out.

If you feel like it, maybe an Easy Johnny Cash songbook. Cause he's awesome, and his songs aren't too hard.

Oh. And two sets of spare strings. I'm going to assume it's strung with .009s, so D'Addario or Fender .009s will do fine.

And maybe a cheap stand might be nice. Got to have somewhere to put it so it doesn't fall down.

You _need_ the spare strings and the tuner.

ETA:
Oh, yes, Edward Dantes is quite correct. I suggest the orange .60 Tortex and the Fender or Dunlop mediums as your primary picks to start with.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 15, 2012

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

PirateDentist posted:

That's pretty great.

I'm going to go buy my guitar later today (Sunday), micro cube won't arrive until some time later in the week, but that's fine. I did the first actual playing lesson from Justinguitar (D chord) with the borrowed Rogue earlier. I made a sound, but holy poo poo my hand and fingers hurt. They're all stupid and don't want to bend that way yet.

So besides the guitar, strap, strap locks, and tuner. Anything else I should pick up while I'm there? The amp is arriving with a 10ft instrument cable thrown in, so I'm set there.

I'm pretty psyched at this point for being at the edge of such a long trail. Thanks for all the advise and suggestions so far!

That, sir is a fine looking guitar. I'd suggest getting a bunch of picks while you're there, just get a couple of each different thickness so you can decide which one you like better. I started out with Fender ultra thin nylons, and I'm currently using .60 tortexs for strumming.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this buzz on my Taylor 214ce?

http://soundcloud.com/stpalm/taylor-214-ce-mystery-buzz

I took it in for repairs to no avail. I get nominal to no buzz when I use fingerpicks. However when I use my fingers straight then I get the buzz.

The staff at the Taylor shop near me ruled out the electronics vibrating, my stringing technique, and my saddle being poorly fitted via poking around (and putting in a new saddle). They couldn't get the buzz to occur when they played it.

Perhaps it is a technique problem, however I cannot get it to happen on any other acoustic I own. This clip is in drop D. You can hear the buzz when I play the high and low D strings, and again when I play the G string. It tends to become more pronounced when I go to drop/open tunings which I do use a lot.

The staff said that 'some people just make a buzz' and said that they had some guy with a 3000 dollar Santa Cruz (or something) that kept getting a buzz and they did 5 neck adjustments and sent it back to the manufacturer twice and he still produced the buzz.

So I am not ruling out that I just have some magical ability to produce this horrible sound; however something regardless seems to be afoot, because of how the buzz is typically relegated to certain strings. I don't know. Something tells me it is a simple fix. I've already spent 40 bucks to have them look at it and that didn't get rid of the problem (although the new saddle did give me a better tone!). So I don't know, what do you guys think?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
My Taylor 614 buzzes because it needs a new nut. If it buzzes open and on lower frets I bet it's the nut. For some reason the G and D strings tend to go first, over time the string just cuts down into the nut and the slot gets too deep.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Quite possible, however it does seem to emanate from the soundhole or possibly the bridge. But I'll have someone look at the nut as that's something I hadn't considered!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there anything I can do to keep my pickup poles from rusting? I do daily wipedowns and case storage but my RG is getting minor rust on the recessed single-coil poles that I can't touch or clean.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

global tetrahedron posted:

Quite possible, however it does seem to emanate from the soundhole or possibly the bridge. But I'll have someone look at the nut as that's something I hadn't considered!

Where was the mic? The buzz sounds louder than the actual string sound, so you might be close to whatever's causing it. Also the buzz seems to be the same pitch even when you're playing different strings, so it's probably the same part that's causing it. It might help to get a mic and listen through headphones, and just poke it around while you play until you find the site of the badness

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PirateDentist posted:

Other than the picks mentioned earlier(I like .74ish to .8 ones, I do both strumming and a lot of individual picking), there's some cheap daily use items you may want to consider:
  • Get Fast Fret or your string lubricant of choice and a cloth(not the one Fast Fret comes with). They'll make the strings last a lot longer before turning black and going to poo poo, though some people don't like the feel, so you could just get this later and see if your strings poo poo up fast or not. Make it a habit to clean your strings after each time you play by using the Fast Fret stick or spraying the lube on the cloth then grabbing each string individually with the cloth and wiping it down. Even if you don't like to use lubricant, you should still do with with a cloth anyway. I'd also suggest guitar polish if you have a glossy finish, and it looks like you do.
  • You should get a capo, as it's one of those pieces of equipment you'll need from time to time.
  • Get a guitar stand so you have somewhere to put your guitar down that's also safe; I think you can get one for like $10. Alternatively, I use a padded carry bag to keep the guitar in when I'm not using it; it's stiff enough to protect it and stand against a counter safely and also functions as a transport case. Basically, you just want a way to keep your guitar somewhere where it isn't likely to fall down.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

duckfarts posted:

[*]Get a guitar stand so you have somewhere to put your guitar down that's also safe; I think you can get one for like $10. Alternatively, I use a padded carry bag to keep the guitar in when I'm not using it; it's stiff enough to protect it and stand against a counter safely and also functions as a transport case. Basically, you just want a way to keep your guitar somewhere where it isn't likely to fall down.
[/list]

Good point. I've found out that it's also easier to just walk to the stand and pick the guitar up than have to take out the case, open it and take it out. It sounds stupid, but I play a lot more often since it's just sitting there at hand's reach and not tucked away. (Besides, they make great decoration! :D )

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

Good point. I've found out that it's also easier to just walk to the stand and pick the guitar up than have to take out the case, open it and take it out. It sounds stupid, but I play a lot more often since it's just sitting there at hand's reach and not tucked away. (Besides, they make great decoration! :D )

I'm completely the same way. If a guitar is in a stand and within easy arm's reach, I'll play it on and off all day. If it's in a case...maybe once or twice a day.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Manky posted:

I'm completely the same way. If a guitar is in a stand and within easy arm's reach, I'll play it on and off all day. If it's in a case...maybe once or twice a day.

Good point. I'll have to pick up a stand. I picked everything else up earlier and just got home. And noticed while wiping the guitar down with a slightly damp cloth that one of the pick guard screws looked a bit... off.

*gentle tug with fingernails*

...poo poo.

It's drilled in sideways and doesn't hold that corner in at all. Guess I'm headed back to the store tomorrow to see if I can exchange it. Though that was the only one in stock so I'll probably have to wait a week. This is going to bother the poo poo out of me if I don't get it replaced though.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
You could also mix some sawdust and glue, fill the hole, let it harden and then drill a new and correctly angled hole. Provided you've used a drill once or twice before the result will be just as good as whatever they can come up with and it'll save you a trip to the store.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Ok so I want to learn to play and as one of the sites you guys have suggested, Rondo, I was thinking of getting this package for $120

http://www.rondomusic.com/rst3ts.html

Now as someone who never played an instrument (except piano lessons when I was young) and, AND someone who has a fairly limited budget at the moment, my question is, is this a good idea or a waste of money to buy this pack?

I'd take this package...I would. It seems nice enough to me, however if there is a better economical electric out there and amp I would rather that.

What is the general goon consensus on guitar set ups, balancing quality and budget? for a beginner

I'd say my guitar budget at max would be about two hundred and then whatever for the amp.

Obviously I'd like to stay cheaper, but if spending the extra money is really worth it, then I will do so.

thanks guys :)

chiz fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 16, 2012

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, I was watching this over at the PYF Guitar thread, and got me to wondering... if I knew a good, trustworthy luthier, how blasphemous would it be to modify my telecaster so I can put a P90 in the neck? Because drat, I love how that sounds.

/edit: Had the wrong video.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You need a luthier? Get a spare P90 pickguard from Guitarfetish, get a GFS P90.

How's White Pearl look?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/White-Pearl-P90-Soapbar-Tele-neck-Pickup-CUSTOM-MADE-for-us_p_860.html
Aged white?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Tele-Neck-P90-Pickguard-1964-Aged-White_p_1231.html
Black?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/P90-Soapbar-Tele-neck-Pickup-CUSTOM-MADE-for-us_p_581.html

Here's your P90.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/P90-Guitar-Pickups_c_83.html

Well. Hm. Okay, if your Tele isn't nashville-routed, you'll need a router at it. Mine already were set up for humbuckers in the neck, so.

What kinda tele you got? That'll tell us how blasphemous it is.

chiz: I got opinions but I'm letting someone else step in first. That being said, I'm generally against package guitars.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't think the rout in the neck of any tele is going to be big enough for a soapbar out of the gate.

I'm not sure I could consider any pickup switching to be blasphemous. Last night I actually ordered a Mean P90 and a Loudmouth Bucker for my "Les Paul." Fender themselves so wildly vary their telecaster configurations, the only thing you should be going by is getting the sound you want!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.bryankimsey.com/instruments/nashville_tele/
Nashville routed teles will. See link.
Some of the cheaper Fender teles have that rout to make it cheaper. So I'd peer under your pickguard.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wow, I was dead wrong. That's really cool, you learn something new every day.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Warcabbit posted:

What kinda tele you got? That'll tell us how blasphemous it is.

I have a Squier Affinity, I have no idea about the routing to be honest, but I'll take a look, maybe I only need changing the pickguard and not doing anything weird to the body.

Now I'm torn between the aged white and the (original) black pickguard.

Also, sick discount on the black one: :haw:
Retail Price: $334.95
Direct Guitarfetish Price $18.95

Do the P90's come in metallic? :D

Manky posted:

I don't think the rout in the neck of any tele is going to be big enough for a soapbar out of the gate.

I'm not sure I could consider any pickup switching to be blasphemous.

Yeah, it won't fit (at first look I, need to check under the pickguard), that's what I meant by "blasphemous", I'd probably have to send it to a luthier to have the slot enlarged, and I have no idea if that would affect the guitar.

/edit: Took the pickguard out. No such luck, it seems. She'll have to go to surgery if I want to put a P90 in there.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 16, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah, but it's ten minutes with a router, sandpaper, and maybe some shielding.
Shouldn't be a huge deal.

I've never seen a metallic P90.

Where you physically at? What state?

Kind of a shame, it'd fit if it was a MIM Tele.

Still, this is what you basically will want done.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/209990-how-mount-p90-tele-neck.html
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-270851.html

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 16, 2012

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Warcabbit posted:

Yeah, but it's ten minutes with a router, sandpaper, and maybe some shielding.
Shouldn't be a huge deal.

I've never seen a metallic P90.

Argentina. :D The person bringing it to me is in San Francisco, though.

I'm going to ask my luthier, because I'm sure as hell no taking a drill to my guitar (I don't have the tools or a workbench, even if I dared to). I may dabble in the wiring part at some point, but the woodwork? Scared to death.

I saw these over at amazon, but from yout link earlier I'm guessing they're not the ones I want?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oh! Those are... not actually P90s. They're in a humbucker casing. Which is a bit smaller than a P90, so it's... well, twisted around a bit.
They're not NOT P90s. They're P90-oids. On the other hand, you can put them in a pickguard designed for humbuckers and you don't have to screw them into the guitar.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is the p90 neck pickup I just got, in a stylish chrome housing
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-True-Alnico-P90-Pickup-in-Humbucker-Case-Our-FATTEST-Mean-90-Chrome-NECK-Pickup_p_475.html
The difference there is that its humbucker sized, not soapbar sized. Should be no problem to make a humbucker-sized hole though

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Manky posted:

This is the p90 neck pickup I just got, in a stylish chrome housing
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-True-Alnico-P90-Pickup-in-Humbucker-Case-Our-FATTEST-Mean-90-Chrome-NECK-Pickup_p_475.html
The difference there is that its humbucker sized, not soapbar sized. Should be no problem to make a humbucker-sized hole though

Ohhh, that's nice. That one would go with one of these pickguards, right?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Tele-Neck-Humbucker-Pickguard-1964-Aged-White_p_1230.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Custom-Neck-Humbucker-BWB-Pickguard-for-Telecaster_p_198.html

Warcabbit posted:

Oh! Those are... not actually P90s. They're in a humbucker casing. Which is a bit smaller than a P90, so it's... well, twisted around a bit.
They're not NOT P90s. They're P90-oids. On the other hand, you can put them in a pickguard designed for humbuckers and you don't have to screw them into the guitar.
Wait, would the ones Manky lined be "true" P90's then? Or another one of the pseudo ones you were mentioning? (Sorry, still too new at this v:shobon:v )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
So I just got a cheap hollow body guitar that I'm looking to replace the pickups in. I wanted to get a set of burstbuckers, but now I'm thinking along the lines of cheaper alternatives. I was thinking a burstbucker-like pickup for the bridge and a P90-like pickup for the neck. Any opinions on affordable but great sounding burstbucker alternatives? Perhaps something from guitarfetish?