Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Corla Plankun posted:

I think acidic implies that they were under-steeped and not necessarily poorly roasted. I used to get perfectly roasted beans (from Gimmie! Coffee) and still manage to make sour coffee by loving up the french press process in my bleary-eyed morning haze.

It's acidic, but not sour. Still, tomorrow I'll give it another go with 2:30 for 16oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Alright, got my heat gun and my dog bowl. Green coffee coming in the mail. Thanks coffee thread.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Geisha coffee lovers in LA, I just got a cup at Handsome Coffee. $4. They also have a block party tonight 7p til late

mystes
May 31, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

It's acidic, but not sour.
Isn't sour the way acidic things taste?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

mystes posted:

Isn't sour the way acidic things taste?

Er, yeah, my bad. I was trying to say that it was more like orange juice, and less like a granny smith apple or sour candy.

Now that I think about it, I may be confusing it with the Ethiopian I normally buy. The Ethiopian stuff I normally buy is really nice in the mornings because it's like a cup of orange juice.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I just went out and roasted about a pound in 15 minutes in 3 batches with the airpopper + heat gun. Basically, start the popper, add green beans, wait until they stop moving inside the popper and then add some more. As the beans roast they will get lighter and start to spin (about 2 minutes in). Agitate with a wooden spoon for a minute for this to start happening. Depending on the bean/weather, my popper gets the beans to first crack.. I like it FC, so I augment with a heat gun on top. It roasts quickly and the air popper does the agitation for you. No wrist action needed, and I think you get a nice even roast because you've got heat on both sides and nice movement in the middle.. Try it out!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The effectiveness of a popper depends on your electricity I think. I used to be able to get to FC or more in around 10 minutes, but then I moved to another apartment and now it barely gets to the lightest drinkable roast in 15 minutes. My microwave takes longer to heat stuff too.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

withak posted:

The effectiveness of a popper depends on your electricity I think. I used to be able to get to FC or more in around 10 minutes, but then I moved to another apartment and now it barely gets to the lightest drinkable roast in 15 minutes. My microwave takes longer to heat stuff too.

Agreed. In fact, when I'm running the HT1000 (1200 watts) and the popper at the same time, the popper slows down when I turn the heat gun on. How do I handle this? I just laugh and hope things don't short out/cause a fire somewhere in the walls.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dhrusis posted:

Agreed. In fact, when I'm running the HT1000 (1200 watts) and the popper at the same time, the popper slows down when I turn the heat gun on. How do I handle this? I just laugh and hope things don't short out/cause a fire somewhere in the walls.

Have your house rewired probably. :-/

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

dhrusis posted:

Use different circuits if you can, I'm a bit surprised you haven't blown a breaker.

Also, you might want to make sure your house doesn't have cloth-wrapped wiring (it shouldn't, unless it's really old).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I roasted using the heat gun and dog bowl the other night in the garage, not where I normally do it and I got to first crack at 17 minutes... what the hell? I now realize its because I had it plugged into a power strip when I usually have it plugged directly into the wall, something to consider I guess.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
My parents just returned from a trip to the Caribbean and gave me a bag of blue mountain coffee. I prayed they were green before pulling them out of the bag, but no such luck. My heart sunk because it was so thoughtful, but I feared it would be money wasted. I vowed to use them, because hey, how bad could it be? Holy gently caress. It had the most bizarre off-putting smell. I'm pretty sure they were roasted 10 years ago and sealed into bags 5 after that.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
First roast with the Behmor 1600 complete, worked extremely well I thought. First crack happened almost exactly when the manual said it would, hit second crack right when the machine was turning off (although missed this in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmjnMPbiOW8

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
This may sound like a silly questions but when roasting your own beans using the heat gun or air popper method, how important is monitoring color after the second crack for city/full city? I'm really really colorblind so seeing the various shades of brown is difficult if not impossible. I like lighter roasts anyways so I'm wondering if I can get away with using the crack as a reference point before stopping.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Sacred Cow posted:

This may sound like a silly questions but when roasting your own beans using the heat gun or air popper method, how important is monitoring color after the second crack for city/full city? I'm really really colorblind so seeing the various shades of brown is difficult if not impossible. I like lighter roasts anyways so I'm wondering if I can get away with using the crack as a reference point before stopping.

I rarely rely on color since it's hard to really judge it without proper lighting and having to stop/re-start which I'm sure is not good for getting an even roast. For me, the crack is a fairly good indicator. I use it along with temperature. Now, if you want lighter roasts, you definitely don't want to get close to second crack. In fact, City/Full City is technically right before you hear the second crack. I would say use an infrared thermometer and take the temperature right in the center if you're using a popper. You have to adjust the reading by 20-30 degrees though since you're not really taking the temperature inside the beans.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
What do you home roasters use to store your fresh roasted coffee? I have some glass jars and was thinking of storing the beans in there. I know they release a lot of co2, but if i just leave the jar open for 8 or 12 hours it should be safe to seal?

I'm worried about exploding jars and I don't have any valve bags...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

le capitan posted:

What do you home roasters use to store your fresh roasted coffee? I have some glass jars and was thinking of storing the beans in there. I know they release a lot of co2, but if i just leave the jar open for 8 or 12 hours it should be safe to seal?

I'm worried about exploding jars and I don't have any valve bags...

Started out with mason jars with the lid just resting on the top, not tight for the first 24 hours.

I use the $5 tin with degassing valve from sweet maria's now, though.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
just got my green beans in the mail :)

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

le capitan posted:

I put 'em in glass bowl for a day, then into the hopper on the Rocky. They don't last long after that. I don't home roast so I can store beans for a week. I did put a rubber band on the lid of the Rocky to act as a gasket and give it a little bit of a seal, but that's likely just pretension, and has little or no effect on the beans.

Have a shot..

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
Cool, thanks for the feedback guys!

Another quick question: I'm using the heatgun/bowl and the variety in color is fairly drastic on my beans. Is there a way to minimize this? I'm guessing I didn't do a good enough job stirring or something to that effect. Should I pick out the really light colored beans or does it matter much? I guess this is more personal preference if anything.

Edit: I tried a smaller batch of beans and it seemed to have a more consistent roast/coloration. I also set the heatgun down on my blanket and burnt a hole in it..

le capitan fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 9, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, reducing the batch size and more agitation are your best bets.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You could just spend $15 on a whirleypop and do it on your stove instead of loving around with heat guns, if you have good ventilation anyways.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Anyone have pictures of how much space their coffee set ups take? I have a tiny kitchen and I'm going to be getting some sort of cart-thing to put my future espresso station on, and just want to know roughly how much space it'll take up. I'm mildly concerned about spills because rental + carpet... but I doubt I'll have much issue because I'm careful enough.

Currently I use mostly french press, which takes a minimal amount of space.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Jyrraeth posted:

Anyone have pictures of how much space their coffee set ups take? I have a tiny kitchen and I'm going to be getting some sort of cart-thing to put my future espresso station on, and just want to know roughly how much space it'll take up. I'm mildly concerned about spills because rental + carpet... but I doubt I'll have much issue because I'm careful enough.

Currently I use mostly french press, which takes a minimal amount of space.

I can't speak to space for a setup (we are lazy pour-over drinkers at my house), but for the rental carpet fears, just get a biggish fabric, rubber backed door mat to put down. The mat may look shabby at the end of your stay, but they at least won't take your security deposit over coffee stains.

For those of you in the market for a grinder, there's a refurb Breville Smart Grinder up on home.woot for $119.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
I recently bought a Moka pot(3 cup Bialetti $45) and a very cheap Milk Frother ($25). I havent bought a grinder yet so I have been purchasing pre ground coffee (Vittoria, Harris or Lavazza). I know there is a lot more I can be doing with my coffee, but the improvment I have noticed is phenomenal. I never realised before just how much my parents were wasting those similar ground coffees on their drip machine.

I cannot believe how long I lived with instant and drip coffee at home!!!!!!! :bang:

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Keeper Garrett posted:

I recently bought a Moka pot(3 cup Bialetti $45) and a very cheap Milk Frother ($25). I havent bought a grinder yet so I have been purchasing pre ground coffee (Vittoria, Harris or Lavazza). I know there is a lot more I can be doing with my coffee, but the improvment I have noticed is phenomenal. I never realised before just how much my parents were wasting those similar ground coffees on their drip machine.

I cannot believe how long I lived with instant and drip coffee at home!!!!!!! :bang:

Hi, welcome to the hot beverage autism club.

If it turns out that these Costa Rican beans were harvested by child slaves, and the only way to make this atrocity stop is to boycott them...

Sorry kids, can't win 'em all v:shobon:v

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Just noticed that Costco Business Delivery are selling a cheapo entry level Capresso Burr Grinder (Model: 559.04) for $33. Not a bad entry point for those still buying preground crap.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm in the market for a decent grinder to use for my daily cup, usually made with a press. I'm wondering if the difference in price between a Capresso Infinity ($100), a Baratza Encore ($130) or a refurb Baratza Virtuoso ($150) is worth it accordingly. I use it a drat lot, so I don't mind paying up to the Virtuoso price, I just want to know if it's that much better than the cheaper options.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Recs for coffee in Seattle, preferably kind of downtownish or near the university?

Don't say starbucks.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any recommendations for coffee in Paris? I'll do being a romantic weekend getaway with my partner there next week and drinking a hand-pulled expresso while smoking Gauloises is on my to-do list.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

nm posted:

Recs for coffee in Seattle, preferably kind of downtownish or near the university?

My favorite regional roaster up there is Heart out of Portland. I know of two places that sell it in the Seattle Metro, Millstead and Company at 770 N 34th, and Onyx on Railroad Drive in Bellingham. Neither of which are at all downtown or the U District.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nm posted:

Don't say starbucks.

Not Monorail Espresso. That place is totally overrated on Yelp--the Americano was so drat watery.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

nm posted:

Don't say starbucks.
I second foxxtrot with Milstead. Consistently good coffee every time; I haven't had better elsewhere. If you're near the university, there's a Trabant nearby.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

Any recommendations for coffee in Paris? I'll do being a romantic weekend getaway with my partner there next week and drinking a hand-pulled expresso while smoking Gauloises is on my to-do list.

I just moved here but so far I am digging Victrola, Stumptown (of course) and Seattle Coffee Works.

In other news, my 7 year-old Krupps burr grinder died. It won't be missed, it wasn't that great and I was looking to upgrade for a while. When travelling across the country, I picked up a Hario Mini and was impressed with the consistency and ability get a nice, fine grind. I live in a small apartment, and was also hesitant to buy something largish like a Baratza and use precious counter space.

One morning I was loading up the Hario, and found myself tired of the daily grind (hurrrr) and in a moment of inspiration, this was born. Cheap, great grind, small footprint.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That's an amazing idea that I kind of wish I'd done a while ago.

My shop is switching from its awful beans to Counter Culture, and they're telling my boss all the stuff I've been telling her for a while about changes we need to make. Which is rad as hell.

And I've been throwing this little tripod deal down a lot lately; I think I've found my signature latte art

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Korwen posted:

I'm in the market for a decent grinder to use for my daily cup, usually made with a press. I'm wondering if the difference in price between a Capresso Infinity ($100), a Baratza Encore ($130) or a refurb Baratza Virtuoso ($150) is worth it accordingly. I use it a drat lot, so I don't mind paying up to the Virtuoso price, I just want to know if it's that much better than the cheaper options.

I went from a Cuisinart dust-machine to a Virtuoso, I have no idea whether the Virtuoso is "worth" the premium. If I were you I'd just pay the extra $50 to get a really good grinder the first time. It's $50. If that amount of money spent once on your coffee habit is worth agonizing over you probably can't really afford to get all OCD over coffee in the first place.

Whalley posted:

That's an amazing idea that I kind of wish I'd done a while ago.

Orphan Espresso did. Doesn't make it any less cool though. Something tells me my coworkers would object to me running a power tool in the office, so I get to keep cranking by hand.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Whalley posted:

My shop is switching from its awful beans to Counter Culture, and they're telling my boss all the stuff I've been telling her for a while about changes we need to make. Which is rad as hell.

Grats! I'm glad places like CC, Stumptown, and Intelligentsia do that. I was talking to a local roaster a few months ago. He told me he was just starting out and didn't want to be too pushy on shops as far as how they should be brewing their coffee. I could understand his point since around here, we're probably about 10-15 years behind other cities as far as making high quality coffee, and he's just trying to get his foot in the door at places. However, I don't think it's that much harder or more expensive to make the changes needed to make better quality coffee, and I think he could at least offer free lessons to his customers just so he can get them to change their habits.

Ultimately, I think the switch to high quality coffee making leads to a change in community along with certain other concepts like buying local produce, farm-to-table, slowing down to enjoy things, etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nm posted:

Don't say starbucks.

The guy I buy my beans from (velton's coffee) just started supplying coffee to Neptune coffee in greenwood, but I haven't visited it yet.

I really like espresso vivace, right by the REI flagship store.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Temple in Sacramento, CA sells green beans now. Nom.

https://store.templecoffee.com/coffees/green_coffee.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Korwen posted:

I had one of the cheapest Capresso models and it was awful. Consistency was on par with a Baratza Maestro Plus, but has a horizontal funnel leading into the most static container ever devised by man. Swapped it for a Maestro Plus after one day.