Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

Your highway cruisers will obviously get larger batteries, but something like the bolt is really more of a city car, and i personally wouldn't want to take one out on the highway any more than i would a spark or sonic.

Well, you heard it here first: a 2500lb five-seat sedan with 140 horsepower is not suitable for the highway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sagebrush posted:

Well, you heard it here first: a 2500lb five-seat sedan with 140 horsepower is not suitable for the highway

You forget, he makes his living picking up free filing cabinets.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not saying it's not suitable, more inappropriate. the closer you get to a square wheelbase, the more skittish a car gets, the more steering input is required. with a narrow track the car usually tries to jump between deep grooves worn in the road. That's not even considering road noise and stuff like that. Their fuel economy advantage is lost on the highway as well.

They're perfectly capable and safe for highway duty, but their dynamics are designed for the city, and i can't imagine somebody making regular highway trips would choose something that sucks at it for reasons beyond initial cost.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ola posted:

Speaking of autopilot, Tesla just just officially announced Summon, the feature where the car drives itself out of the garage etc.

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/summon-your-tesla-your-phone

That bit you bolded is far enough away that any Model S capable of doing so will be wearing vintage license plates.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

You are adding a significant amount of rare materials when you pack more batteries into a car. The average person doesn't drive more than 100 miles in a single trip. they can definitely tell the difference between the 4.4kwh battery in the plug in prius, the 16kwh battery in the volt, and the 23kwh battery in the focus, as they directly translate to a 18, 40, and 76 mile range, and that again will probably be where 90% of the population gets off the bus.

Very few people (other than all those goon grandfather clock delivery men) drive more than 40 miles a day.

quote:

Your highway cruisers will obviously get larger batteries, but something like the bolt is really more of a city car, and i personally wouldn't want to take one out on the highway any more than i would a spark or sonic.

You are being ridiculous.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

Very few people (other than all those goon grandfather clock delivery men) drive more than 40 miles a day.

23% of commuters drive 20+ miles each way, in the US, which seems like more than "very few" to me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I drive about 30 miles each way for my commute. The nearest real city is about 40 miles away in the opposite direction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Godholio posted:

I drive about 30 miles each way for my commute. The nearest real city is about 40 miles away in the opposite direction.

How's the grandfather clock business?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nah, just a hellish state that shouldn't exist. We only have one decent bar in town. :gonk: And a walmart. :geno:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
http://www.businessinsider.com/elon...ent=%23Farikhan

More reaching forward-looking statements from the Master of Musk.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

drgitlin posted:

That bit you bolded is far enough away that any Model S capable of doing so will be wearing vintage license plates.

As soon as I can summon a car to my location from anywhere with the press of a smartphone, Uber/Google/ZipCar will make it so much cheaper to just call a car when you need it then for you to buy one to sit idle 99% of the time that people will stop buying cars.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It'll be interesting to see the car summoned over a distance that requires it to charge itself. At least it'll come with a massive overhaul of the mapping software. Now it tends to suggest long nonsensical detours for charging and it doesn't account for weather and topography. And we can just leave the problems of an empty car driving itself across the continent alone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

I'm not saying it's not suitable, more inappropriate. the closer you get to a square wheelbase, the more skittish a car gets, the more steering input is required. with a narrow track the car usually tries to jump between deep grooves worn in the road. That's not even considering road noise and stuff like that. Their fuel economy advantage is lost on the highway as well.

Ooo
Kayyy

I daily-drive a fourteen year old Ford ZX2. It weighs 2400lb and had 130ish hp new. It is perfectly comfortable to drive at any reasonable highway speed. It gets about 32mpg in all-highway driving vs 25 or so in the city. It is certainly not skittish and doesn't have any problems jumping between grooves on the road :psyduck:

What are you smoking?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Ooo
Kayyy

I daily-drive a fourteen year old Ford ZX2. It weighs 2400lb and had 130ish hp new. It is perfectly comfortable to drive at any reasonable highway speed. It gets about 32mpg in all-highway driving vs 25 or so in the city. It is certainly not skittish and doesn't have any problems jumping between grooves on the road :psyduck:

What are you smoking?

In my experiences using rental cars for road trips, a louder, shorter, narrow car is considerably less comfortable, and not just in the interior space sense. The last 2 small cars i rented were a versa note and a 1.4t sonic, the note i drove the same highway about 100kms each direction 4 days in a row, and there were specific sections of road, each probably 20 years old and heavily grooved by truck traffic, where the car was seriously undone, this corner being the most memorable.

https://goo.gl/maps/HD33k7k2TXB2

I've never felt it in other vehicles i've driven it with, mainly rental impalas/300s/caravans, my own 5 series, various pickups. the trucks basically ride the grooves like rails. the CVT was obviously terrible but that's creeping into everything with an ICE these days.

The sonic it took over the mountains to bring parts to kelowna and while it was a fun little car to throw around, it just wasn't pleasant for crusing. it wasn't a lack of power or anything either, it just always felt like it was working really hard and got thrown around by every truck going the other way.

Smaller cars are generally designed around city driving, this isn't a big secret. shorter gearing, higher steering ratios, shorter overall length prioritized over a more aerodynamic shape. The size of the battery pack and the expected range is going to be one more piece of that puzzle. The model S had a 40kwh option with 140 mile range, and a 85kwh option with a 265 mile range, i highly doubt you'll ever see that with the bolt. I would imagine once GM has a surplus of battery capability, it's going to be a bolt with the 200 mile range, and a larger more comfortable car with a 300 or 400 mile range.

Frinkahedron posted:

As soon as I can summon a car to my location from anywhere with the press of a smartphone, Uber/Google/ZipCar will make it so much cheaper to just call a car when you need it then for you to buy one to sit idle 99% of the time that people will stop buying cars.

I can't wait for taxi companies to lobby this into a new price bracket.

Don't want to get sworn at by a sex offender who has never had a shower? that'll be a $10 driverless levy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Bolt battery specs are out. 60 kWh!And 200 hp.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/11/10747204/chevy-bolt-motor-battery-info-naias-2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's pretty drat impressive.

That means at $30k after tax credits and all that, if you wanted to do an electric conversion on another car, it would be cheaper to buy a bolt and scrap everything but the batteries than it would be to buy off the shelf batteries.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Now I want one even more.

Please bring the Bolt to Europe, Opel. I don't even care if you call it the Heinz or the Wilhelm or whatever.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

That's pretty drat impressive.

That means at $30k after tax credits and all that, if you wanted to do an electric conversion on another car, it would be cheaper to buy a bolt and scrap everything but the batteries than it would be to buy off the shelf batteries.

Or just wait until the first one crashes! I'm thinking these battery packs are tricky to DIY with since they are liquid cooled, it's managing its own temperature, various computers are talking to each other etc. But a guy in Norway pulled a battery pack from a crashed Leaf and used it to store solar power on his offgrid mountain cabin.

More info on the battery pack: Able to charge at a max rate 178 miles of range per hour on the CCS combo system, 8 years or 100 000 mi warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTAlZac34s

e: can't help but think Nissan and VW are making GBS threads themselves

e2: precision shift system? Is it for reverse or does it actually have two forward gears?

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 11, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I am partially turned around on this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Huh, I was not expecting to actually be interested in the Bolt. IMO it looks better than the i3 both inside and out, it's nothing special but it's not trying to be either. It looks normal for its size. It has good range and the price tag (not counting any tax incentives that may apply) is in the same range as a CPO Model S with the same battery capacity.

If the lease rates are decent I might consider getting one a year or two in to do my local running around in and only use my Fiesta ST for fooling around on weekends or the occasional long trip.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Cross postin from the new car thread, new Chrysler minivan is available as a plug in hybrid with a 30 mile electric range, also looks great.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-detroit-official/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Cross postin from the new car thread, new Chrysler minivan is available as a plug in hybrid with a 30 mile electric range, also looks great.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-detroit-official/

quote:

mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission

why do they keep doing this

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Summon demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2E9TT9X9A

If it's ok for the car to be summoned across public roads, then clearly it's ok to get in the car, set destination and then go to bed in the rear seat. Why not a bottle wine and a movie before bed?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Because a .05 mpg improvement over 200,000 vehicles = CAFE boost.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sagebrush posted:

I asked an actual auto exec at a big 3 company this and his reply was "because you retards keep buying them"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does Ford have any full electric plans? The Energi variants are plug in hybrids, right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

smackfu posted:

Does Ford have any full electric plans? The Energi variants are plug in hybrids, right?

They already make a full electric focus, and work with other companies to make an electric f-150.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

They already make a full electric focus, and work with other companies to make an electric f-150.

They used to do a electric Transit Connect too but the company that made them went bankrupt so idk what happened to them

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

$30k for a Focus with 76 mile range. No wonder the Bolt is getting attention.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Focus EV is a classic case of compliance vehicle, don't see why anyone would give it a second look now. Maybe to mock it, I checked the used market to ridicule the depreciation (only fun I found was a used dealer calling 16 amps "fast charging" and also misspelling the words "fast" and "charging"). Came across this chin stroker:

http://m.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=69345756

1998 Ford Ranger EV. Can't quite figure out the actual battery capacity, but it's NiMH batteries anyway. Charging controller and batteries need servicing. Seller wants $8700 for it. :waycool:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
To be fair that's almost a 20 year old truck, and way way before 'compliance' cars were a thing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

To be fair that's almost a 20 year old truck, and way way before 'compliance' cars were a thing.

Oh yeah, the Focus is the useless compliance vehicle. The Ranger I came across was an interesting oddball, I remember hearing about EVs back then but didn't give two shits. If you asked me yesterday I would've said there are no factory EV pickups on the market. Apparently there is, on the used market at least!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blugu64 posted:

It was a compliance car for the California Air Resources Board’s Zero‐Emission Vehicle mandate of the ’90s.

For a long time (till the Tesla Roadster), used Ford Rangers and RAV4s were pretty much the only production battery‐electric vehicles that could be bought in the U.S.. Most of the others were leased and then crushed after CARB dropped the mandate, like the EV1.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
There is still a mandate but now with crazy point system and the new compliance vehicles are all fuel cell cars, because a fast charge gets the most points per car.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ola posted:

Charging controller and batteries need servicing. Seller wants $8700 for it. :waycool:
Servicing as in replacing, and the rest of the vehicle is worth its scrap metal value at best. Sounds like a deal.

Did the current owner of the NiMH patent allow production of vehicle sized batteries again, or is still impossible to get NiMH batteries for anything bigger than a flashlight?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Platystemon posted:

Most of the others were leased and then crushed after CARB dropped the mandate, like the EV1.

Which is another pet peevee. What 'the who killed the electric car' crowd ignores is that GM also built and sold an electric S-10 pickup concurrently with the ev1, which weren't confiscated and crushed if you bought them.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ola posted:

The Focus EV is a classic case of compliance vehicle, don't see why anyone would give it a second look now.
If you had a commute that fit within its range (40-50 miles 5 days per week), is there a price point where it makes sense used, or is it just that bad?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

angryrobots posted:

If you had a commute that fit within its range (40-50 miles 5 days per week), is there a price point where it makes sense used, or is it just that bad?

Yes, there is definitely a price point where it makes sense for such a scenario, but it might not be realistic to expect. A used Leaf is fairly cheap, and also good.

Focus EV shortcomings:

1. No fast charging.
2. Battery pack is bolted on the ICE version where there was room - in the luggage space.
3. The two previous points should do, let's illustrate #2 with an IKEA run

If you definitely only totally need it for the 50 mile commute, you can charge that commute overnight at home, you don't mind the luggage thing and you get it at a good price (half a Leaf perhaps?), then I suppose it makes sense. But if you move the goalposts around enough, anything can make sense. It's a bad car in the sense that it's a poor solution to the implied challenge measured against the competition, not bad in the sense of put put noises and doors falling off hilariously.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Bolt is a terrible name for a car. It fits a motorcycle, in the case of Yamaha, but not a car, and especially not an electric car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Personally I don't give a poo poo about the name/branding. Just give me what I need (>100 miles range, fast charging, decent enough for a California highway. <$42,000).

• Locked thread