Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I was tempted by Wind for a while but changed my mind when I saw that a good portion of people were only getting 1mbps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Just for shits and giggles, I was bored at work and I thought I'd check out some Australian plans.

Note: Exchange rate for Australia is about 1:1, just a little higher (1AUD = .95CAD), but cost of living is also more expensive. Current minimum wage in Australia is $15.5, so consider that into effect.

Telstra have their most basic plan is $55 for $550 worth of calls (about 460mins), unlimited text, and 500mb data (no evenings/weekends). This is probably closer to $35-$40/m CAD after cost of living/exchange.

Telstra are the big telco in Aus, but hey, they have a shitload of competition. Their main direct competitor, Optus, has a $35/m plan that's 300mins, unlimited text, and 500mb data. Remember that voicemail and CallerID aren't options there, they're standard with every plan. Converted to CAD with cost of living, it's closer to $20CAD.

Finally, Vodaphone have a $35/m plan, $500 of calls (about 400mins, say), unlimited text (international and domestic), and 500mb data.

Most of these plans include 1gb data for $10 if you go over.

It just makes me even more depressed when I look at this. There is absolutely no reason for prices to be this high in Canada. If they want to talk about hazard pay, well, Australia has to put up with bush fires and disgusting heat during their summers, and they still pay way less than we do.

tl;dr: I tell you all what you already know, Canada's mobile presence is disgusting.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Australia seems to do their heaviest price gouging on internet rather than mobile services, which seems to make sense given that it's probably more expensive to lay new fibre trunks around the coast of Australia than it is to link most Canadian cities south to the US.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Australia at least has one valid reason, you have to run cable along the loving ocean for capacity out of the country.

Canada has major peering points 10s of kilometers from our major population centres. It comparatively costs nothing to hook up into it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

(1AUD = .95CAD), but cost of loving is also more expensive.

:pervert:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
PSA: the prices for these services, as with all things, are only very loosely related to input costs.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I stand by my point (but will edit it) :colbert:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Wrong Canada thread.

But I am happy with my MTS service now despite the fact their network goes down 3 times a day.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lexicon posted:

PSA: the prices for these services, as with all things, are only very loosely related to input costs.

Where is that graph showing that the big 3 Canadian telecoms are making a raw 90% profit after cost on their mobile plans, vs. 25% profit for wind / moblicity.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

I don't think that's as true for internet as it is for mobile services - definitely not in Oz. Here... I'm rpetty sure the profit margins for mobile services are way higher than for internet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm friends with a Bell store manager and he is trying to get me to buy one from him when they come in. It's now a three way race.

Mine just shipped from Rogers Business Care today, got my tracking number. Am I gonna beat you?!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mine just shipped from Rogers Business Care today, got my tracking number. Am I gonna beat you?!

Looks like it. Everything I've ordered from Google play gets here pretty quick but even if they send it tomorrow as they say it would be tough to beat something already shipped.

edit: credit card was charged woop woop I'm poor!

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 16, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google just shipped via UPS. It's down to the wire, neck and neck...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Google just shipped via UPS. It's down to the wire, neck and neck...

Oh drat, mine didn't make the shipping deadline from Rogers warehouse or whatever yesterday so it's going out today supposedly via UPS Express. Neck and neck indeed...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh drat, mine didn't make the shipping deadline from Rogers warehouse or whatever yesterday so it's going out today supposedly via UPS Express. Neck and neck indeed...

Blaugh! Mine is ups standard. You may have won this round, but at least I didn't have to renew my contract.

edit: just got a delivery arrival time of December 23, from Kentucky. ugggh

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 17, 2014

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/12/16/wind-mobile-on-2015-spectrum-auction-it-would-be-really-hard-to-mess-this-up/

quote:

So, we just want to make sure when our customers turn their phone on Manitoba or in PEI then they have the freedom of using their phone as much as they have the freedom of using their phone in Toronto or Calgary or Vancouver. Thats what we want to do. Were not planning to open stores in Quebec.

Thanks, Wind. Now the only thing we can hope for is for Quebecor Media to not gently caress things up and become "one of them" (hint: they will)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Blaugh! Mine is ups standard. You may have won this round, but at least I didn't have to renew my contract.

edit: just got a delivery arrival time of December 23, from Kentucky. ugggh

Got mine! It's huge and pretty!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got mine! It's huge and pretty!

Did Rogers install anything on it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Migishu posted:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/12/16/wind-mobile-on-2015-spectrum-auction-it-would-be-really-hard-to-mess-this-up/

Thanks, Wind. Now the only thing we can hope for is for Quebecor Media to not gently caress things up and become "one of them" (hint: they will)

Here is a CBC link to the upcoming auction too.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/next-wireless-spectrum-auction-to-give-advantage-to-new-carriers-1.2877676

Interesting news, Government is only going to allow incumbents to bid on 40% of the spectrum.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Every attempt so far at normalizing the market has been a roaring success and the toast of every subscriber in the land - I look forward to the additional efficacy of this measure.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It seems like new phone hardware will be needed for that spectrum, so while it's probably good news for wind it'll be a bit of a wait before it's useful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Did Rogers install anything on it?

Nope! I have the Rogers My Account installed myself so it loaded with my device restore/transfer, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there by default as I saw it fire off in the Play Store updates. There is no Rogers bloat, branding, nothing.

You're gonna like this phone a lot by the way :)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope! I have the Rogers My Account installed myself so it loaded with my device restore/transfer, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there by default as I saw it fire off in the Play Store updates. There is no Rogers bloat, branding, nothing.

That's the deal with Nexus phones, it's supposed to be stock Android and nothing more.

Though I'm sure that wouldn't stop Rogers from installing crap anyway. Maybe check for CarrierIQ?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jan posted:

That's the deal with Nexus phones, it's supposed to be stock Android and nothing more.

Though I'm sure that wouldn't stop Rogers from installing crap anyway. Maybe check for CarrierIQ?

You would think so, but the Nexus 6 on AT&T was physically branded with a logo, and Lollipop actually supports preloading carrier bloatware. It was definitely a worry with our scummy telecoms.

Gonna check for the CarrierIQ thing now.

E: I'm 100% clean!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got my N6 today, and only because my mommy was nice enough to get it from UPS while I work. It's a bit disturbing she could grab it just by having the same last name, but whatevs.

Had to get Rogers to cut down my Note 3 sim card too. They did it for free, but only because I knew the guy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

Had to get Rogers to cut down my Note 3 sim card too. They did it for free, but only because I knew the guy.

you can get those SIM punches for like 5 bucks, poo poo better be free or that'd be the best ROI ever.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Weird.
I checked my Bell page and it doesn't show a device balance anymore, I didn't pay any more of it off either so I have no idea wtf.

I had a tiny idea to get a $35 Wind pay as you go thing going to see how good the signal and data are but I'm reading that people are still able to get the $55 MB/SK plan.
:stare:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pivo posted:

you can get those SIM punches for like 5 bucks, poo poo better be free or that'd be the best ROI ever.

He said it's usually a $10 charge.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

dude's making BANK then. google SIM punch, charge $5, start a whole enterprise. pays for itself with the first customer. gently caress. you can do it with scissors if you measure carefully.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

What, to cut it down? For $10 I'd just expect them to give me a new SIM card.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That definitely sounds like a shady Rogers dealer, definitely not a corporate store. No way they're even allowed to cut or punch SIMs at a corporate location.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I ordered 1 copy of each size from each of the major 3 carrers when I was hacktivating an iphone 4. It cost me 99c on ebay with free shipping. All 3 shops I visited offered to activate the cards for 5$ or free. Just throwing that out there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Martytoof posted:

What, to cut it down? For $10 I'd just expect them to give me a new SIM card.

$10 was for a new sim card. Is there any performance difference? He said no.

And yeah the card punching was off the record/from non-corporate.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 24, 2014

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Reverse Centaur posted:

$10 was for a new sim card. Is there any performance difference? He said no.

And yeah the card punching was off the record/from non-corporate.

Some old SIM cards had a vulnerability where you could remotely clone the card. This is fixed in new cards. I don't know exactly when this was fixed.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Does anyone here actually have Wind and find it decent enough?
90% Of my usage is text and data but I guess voice is important too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

PS. Love the cabin posted:

do you ever spend time in buildings

because you might have a bad time

wait for them to get more spectrum is my opinion. everyone i know who has tried wind is like "yeah the price is okay, if i never leave the city, and the signal is pretty bad indoors, and the 5gb soft cap sucks, and speeds are slow ... but the price is okay."

i've personally used Wind for data only, and it was TERRIBLE right in the middle of downtown Toronto. like 2mbit if i was lucky, constant timeouts and packet loss, and that's without hitting the soft cap.

i'd try to scam your way into SK/MB plan with Koodo if that's still a thing. i personally would never voluntarily give Wind money. but some people disagree.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

What area of the country are you in? Look at my posts in this or the Vancouver thread for my comments on the west coast network.

In short: voice good, coverage is lovely (none in Rogers arena and some malls, can't even send texts or roam), and data is a bit slow. But I'm saving $50/month over a similar big 3 plan and holy poo poo their US roaming add on is amazing ($15/month for unlimited data, talk and text), so I'm a happy camper.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Toronto, so I guess it doesn't look good after all lol.

People are still able to get the sk koodo plan but I doubt my ability to lie well enough to convince the rep.
"Lotta people moving to Saskatchewan lately eh?"
"LIAR! YOU LIE! HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CHEAT KOODO!"
*gets shot*

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Toronto, so I guess it doesn't look good after all lol.

People are still able to get the sk koodo plan but I doubt my ability to lie well enough to convince the rep.
"Lotta people moving to Saskatchewan lately eh?"
"LIAR! YOU LIE! HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CHEAT KOODO!"
*gets shot*

I went to a futureshop guy and told him my company is sending me to Winnipeg for a year to help them with a custom install of our product. I also told him I'd still be living in Toronto most of the week. He could not give less of a gently caress.

I'm a super honest guy and I wear my emotions on my sleeve, I absolutely do not lie to anyone ever. But this was just so easy... I literally work for a telecom now (a company that owns a telecom anyway) and pretty much everyone agrees with me that lying to telecoms to get a better deal is morally sound, at least in Canada, since they all lie to us anyway. Literally no one is happier to hear about me loving over telecoms than people who work in telecom, it's funny.

Go for it, dude. Get the thing activated BYOD, port your number over online, you get big-3 service for Wind prices. Try that first, honestly. I don't use my phone *that* much, but I don't think I could deal with Wind service levels even if I had to keep paying twice as much.

But YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
What about the tab?
I do have a GNex but the battery is old and acts funny every now and then with the charge level changing wildly between reboots.

Will a place like FS set that up at the same time?
Also which location?