Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I loved today's weather a lot, probably in my top 5 weathers ever. It also fit really well with the over aesthetic of Night Vale.

The episode was great, too. As much as I honestly loved everything about the Strex storyline, it was a bit of a relief to just have a "normal" day in Night Vale.

Also, while waiting for the new episode to drop I was re-listening to the Steve Carslberg & Kevin confrontation from Oak Doors B. I realized what a tragic figure Kevin is. He fought the hardest against The Smiling God taking over Desert Bluffs, he loved Desert Bluffs as much as Cecil loves Night Vale, and now he loves the Smiling God. There but for the grace of the Angels, and Dana, and Tamika, and Carlos, would go Cecil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Annakie posted:

I loved today's weather a lot, probably in my top 5 weathers ever. It also fit really well with the over aesthetic of Night Vale.

The episode was great, too. As much as I honestly loved everything about the Strex storyline, it was a bit of a relief to just have a "normal" day in Night Vale.

Also, while waiting for the new episode to drop I was re-listening to the Steve Carslberg & Kevin confrontation from Oak Doors B. I realized what a tragic figure Kevin is. He fought the hardest against The Smiling God taking over Desert Bluffs, he loved Desert Bluffs as much as Cecil loves Night Vale, and now he loves the Smiling God. There but for the grace of the Angels, and Dana, and Tamika, and Carlos, would go Cecil.
Angels don't exist, dumbass.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Annakie posted:

Also, while waiting for the new episode to drop I was re-listening to the Steve Carslberg & Kevin confrontation from Oak Doors B. I realized what a tragic figure Kevin is. He fought the hardest against The Smiling God taking over Desert Bluffs, he loved Desert Bluffs as much as Cecil loves Night Vale, and now he loves the Smiling God.

Well, Kevin is the voice of his community just like Cecil is. What better way to destroy and take over a society than to control their voice?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, can they take credit cards for merch or do I need to get cash before tonight?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Both shows I went to take credit and cash. Cash line is usually faster though so you might want to consider that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Annakie posted:

I really agree with this. After so many episodes that screwed with the format (i.e. WALK) and/or had tons of guest voices - not that those are bad things*! - it's nice to have a typical Cecil-talking-deadpan-about-weird-poo poo episode.

Also, bunnies! :neckbeard:

*well, not bad for THAT reason. Bad for a different reason. EVERYTHING'S bad for that reason. The entire universe is disgusting and malformed and wrong and soon the day will come when it's made right.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The dude who said the studio version of Rickman's songs didn't do her voice justice wasn't kidding. She was god drat amazing at tonight's show. The whole show was great too, despite being surrounded by weirdo tumblr people.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
I am so glad I went to the show tonight, it was amazing. Eliza Rickman is completely insane, I had no idea you could even do that with a glockenspiel and it sounded so cool (and her voice is unbelievable but that's been said already). Also my horoscope was strangely accurate as my office is infested with insects so congrats on being psychic I guess?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The fluffiest, cuddliest plague. :3:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Heh, yeah, I've decided I'm not willingly going to be the guy who says "you know that thing that brings you some fleeting joy in an otherwise tedious and possibly unpleasant existence at a time of life where everything seems horrifying and dramatic because hormones and development and trying to figure out where you fit into an uncaring universe? Well, quit enjoying it, because I find you irritating*". I still felt a bit awkward when it looked like I was going to be the lone dude with several decades under his belt in a sea of teenage girls with eyes drawn on their foreheads, though.

It passed. Partly because the crowd filled in, and partly because I went to see an excellent show, and I saw an excellent show. Two excellent shows, if you count Eliza Rickman's opening act as its own thing. She was, as folks have already said, phenomenal.

Without going into much detail, I thought The Librarian encapsulated the essential Night Vale episode experience better than any of the other live shows to date (and I liked the previous live show recordings a lot). And goddamn, Cecil Baldwin is one hell of a performer.

Y'all deserve to be proud of what you've made, and I'm so glad I got to go to the show.
___
*Though I might still find myself saying "the world does not really need to know what you think is sexy" from time to time.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Are they still doing "Librarian" or do they have a new live show?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Are they still doing "Librarian" or do they have a new live show?

They're still doing Librarian until the end of this current tour, yeah.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I've got my ticket to the Austin show, and I can't wait. I won't be dressing up, but I'll be wearing my Glow Cloud shirt.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Breaking News: The WTNV cast is awesome and Cecil is a pretty pretty princess.

http://instagram.com/p/qNe_RdJGMb/

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So DashCon has an official version of events posted now.

TL;DR: They're saying that WTNV broke contract by booking their own accommodations and flights and that the final amount of them were outside of their contractual obligation. But they decided to "accommodate" them anyways. Then it details how their financial gently caress ups caused WTNV to want verified payment upfront (for obvious reasons) and then due to more incompetence no one saw WTNVs communications about that desire except one guy who couldn't deliver on that promise (who also didn't bother to tell anyone else).

It doesn't seem like a malicious painting of WTNV as pushy divas, but it still reeks of unprofessional conduct. They also still managed to shift the blame from the "core staff" onto some unnamed staff helper who was the only one to reply to Cranor's email and didn't tell anyone. Also somehow no one else involved checked their email?

Link: http://www.dashcon.org/

Crain fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 17, 2014

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
That account is full of half-truthes and leaves a lot of things they did out, but on the plus side they publicized private emails without asking us.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

maxnmona posted:

That account is full of half-truthes and leaves a lot of things they did out, but on the plus side they publicized private emails without asking us.

Of course it's going to be half-truthes. They are trying to be the victims here, but the more they talk about what happened the more people are seeing that they are full of poo poo, this might be more of the thing that maybe they shouldnt say anything at all.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

maxnmona posted:

Trust me, I don't think anybody with an ounce of sense thinks the DashCon staff is telling the truth, especially with how many other guests didn't get paid. They either mismanaged this con into financial ruin or straight up stole $17,000 from the attendees.

I'm worried you guys might have to lawyer up if they're going to keep accusing you of taking money from them. :sigh:

EDIT:Read the official account. Refusing to refund the WTNV tickets after they ADMIT they hosed up paying you guys with their piss poor communication (don't any of these people have email or text?) because it might "Call all their rules and regulations into question" shows how little they care about the attendees or doing what's right.

It's becoming increasingly obvious DashCon was managed by amateurs and imbeciles.
1. The guests should have had a single point of contact (with a backup) with DashCon staff that actually answered their emails and phone calls and was able to disburse funds in a timely fashion.
2. The hotel should also have been in regular contact with the DashCon staff about the financial terms they were agreeing to and any financial disputes about hotel room bills should have gone through them.
3. DashCon staff should have realized a last minute $17,000 bailout would raise alarm and should have been available for questions.
4. I sincerely doubt the con was big enough to cripple the cell-phone network. Update the con's tumbler or answer your voicemail, emails, and texts.

WTNV was the guest of honor and they are awesome people. Nobody with any sort of professional reputation will guest star at DashCon after this debacle. There may be a DashCon 2015, but there sure as hell won't be one in 2016.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 18, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

maxnmona posted:

Wow, they literally can't stop loving up.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Wow, tonight's show was great! I'm really glad I got the chance to see a live show. (If anyone saw a big goony guy in a Glow Cloud shirt with an Eternal Scout button and a :iamafag: pin, that was me.)

Are you doing the same show in Europe? I kinda hope not, because I want the recording sooner rather than later. Thanks for a great time, from my friends and I.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 18, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am not at all surprised by the Dashcon people telling some bullshit story about what happened with the $17k, with WTNV, the ball bit, and all the rest of it

I am a little bit surprised that they are still talking about Daschon 2015 like it's a thing that should or will happen.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Earwicker posted:

I am a little bit surprised that they are still talking about Daschon 2015 like it's a thing that should or will happen.

What's worse is that there are actually people who will know nothing of what happened and will pony up whatever money is asked of them.

In reality, they should all be thrown into the hole in the vacant lot out back of the Ralphs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

insert_funny posted:

What's worse is that there are actually people who will know nothing of what happened and will pony up whatever money is asked of them.

In reality, they should all be thrown into the hole in the vacant lot out back of the Ralphs.

Please respect the people who huddle back there.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
The show tonight was great! Thank you for writing good words, and thanks to the cast for having the orifices needed to utter them!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm really happy that the latest episode is back to low-key, NPR-esque reports on the happenings of the town. I liked that there was a focus on characters and specific plot threads, along with all the live shows, but all the little things about the town, what happens in it, and how it's presented is what I love about Welcome to Night Vale.

High-five on the Eurotour as well!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Please respect the people who huddle back there.

Hey, those people have to eat something.

Beldaran
Feb 21, 2007
Beautiful things can’t help but be stolen, and it’s the nature of ugliness to assume its place.
Finally ended up buying some merchandise I'd been eying for a while because of the whole Dashcon bullshitfest. I hope you guys didn't loose TOO much money, though any amount is unacceptable.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
There's several credible-sounding reports of vendors who were there saying that the vendor room was left unlocked and unguarded at night, so basically anyone could have walked in an taken anything off the vendor's tables. Multiple people said that when confronted with this, the admins asked to have 30 minutes to decide on recourse and then promptly dodged the vendors questions the rest of the convention.

http://whatiselle.tumblr.com/post/91862766322
http://peanutbummer.tumblr.com/post/92009614503/yes-i-was-at-dashcon
http://misslucid.tumblr.com/post/92013966464/what-the-heck-happened-at-dashcon-an-artists

The number of people who actually believe any of the BS that the dashcon staff is feeding people can probably be counted on one hand, and I expect Dashcon 2015 will be quietly cancelled when basically no one preregisters.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ugh, way to be totally unsupportive of the fans, you jerks!

It's really galling that you expect to be *paid* for your performance just like you were actual artists. I hope you have all learned a valuable lesson from this Dashcon travesty and will be more receptive to just donating all your time and labor forever for free to idiot scammer teens.

Trigger Warnings: #actualartists #capitalists #scammershaming :colbert:

Silliness aside, I wish I could afford to bring you folks to my town for a live show. Congratulations on taking this fun show from a little podcast to an actual touring performance piece. That has to be really exciting for you all. Have a great tour!

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

I was at the Toronto show earlier this month and it was fabulous! The highlight of my night there was when during the signing afterwards, I told Jeffrey thank you for doing the show and "you guys are so awesome", his response was "no, YOU'RE awesome!". Oh, and my friend turning very red when Dylan complimented her dress.

I'm so happy WTNV is getting to tour around the world, it must be super exciting for everyone involved. You guys deserve all your success, I hope the tour goes a lot smoother than this dashcon debacle (which I have been following and balking at). On the plus side, I've seen quite a few people rallying for fans to donate a little extra to WTNV in light of dashcon, so I hope that's actually a thing that people are doing en masse.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Picked up the summer reading tote and scout badges! :allears:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

dragon_pamcake posted:

Read the official account. Refusing to refund the WTNV tickets after they ADMIT they hosed up paying you guys with their piss poor communication (don't any of these people have email or text?) because it might "Call all their rules and regulations into question" shows how little they care about the attendees or doing what's right.

I know that this is a few days old: but its actually deeper than this. They edited their T+Cs to add that they couldn't refund WTNV reserved tickets AFTER the panel was cancelled which is sketchy as gently caress even if it seems that they might actually be OK legally (they have the "we reserve the right to change these" language in their T+Cs, although it shouldn't really cover poo poo like this). There's a screenshot of this somewhere in the GBS thread; I'm way too lazy to find it.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Was at the Denver show a few nights ago and I just have to echo how good Cecil and everyone else are at playing to the crowd. Of course, that crowd looked like the internet threw up into a building, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a really good show.

Also, it was endlessly amusing to see how confused the security dude looked during the performance.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
Just thought the WTNV people might like to see this:

http://animesecrets.org/dashcon-2014-interview-with-organizers/

"Dreux Blalock:
Very well. Moving along to the next little topic that everyone is chewing at: Welcome to Night Vale.

Megg Eli:
Ah, Night Vale. Alright. Do you have specific questions?

Dreux Blalock:
The first question I have to ask about them is this: Where the hell were they staying that they had a $2300 hotel bill?

Megg Eli:
I literally have no idea. We were only told that it was in downtown Chicago. The exact location was never divulged, and we never asked.

Dreux Blalock:
Understandable. Using this little hotel bill experience, do you think DashCon will be booking hotel rooms in the host hotel from here on out in relation to media guests?

Megg Eli:
If I could go back in time and change how I handled the situation, I would have told them that there would be the contractually agreed upon hotel rooms waiting for them at our host hotel, and if they chose not to use those hotel rooms, that would be on them. It was absolutely my mistake that we tried to be so accommodating. Of course, that’s also taught me that we’ll never work with anyone who doesn’t have a manager again. We had five groups of guests throughout the planning process (one was cancelled well before the event), two with managers and three without. The two with professional management were very happy with their DashCon experience and, as last I heard, would be more than happy to return. The three (including the group that was cancelled early on) without professional management… well, that’s a very different story, as you probably already know."

"Dreux Blalock: Very well. There are many in the community who stay silent in public forums that can feel your pain in relation to dealing with guests akin to WTNV. Would you think that WTNV decided on their actions Saturday in reaction to the previous night’s debacle?
Megg Eli:
I think the previous night’s debacle played a huge part in their reaction. The situation certainly wasn’t helped by the email response I begrudgingly posted in our press release, though. Upon finding that particular bit of communication, Cain and I were horrified by the level of unprofessionalism displayed by a member of DashCon staff, only furthered by that person’s lack of information sharing so that Cain and I could have potentially made sure their payment was both complete and in the requested form. Sadly, we were more than capable of having their payment in the proper format if we’d been told about the email from the night before, but we weren’t given enough notice to pull it together. Worse yet, we didn’t find out until a couple of days after the event’s close that they did ask in a timely enough manner that we could have saved the situation if we’d known."

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
It'd be awesome if we could keep their made-up bullshit out of this thread.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

maxnmona posted:

Sorry about that, maxnmona. Will do.

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011

maxnmona posted:

My gods, thank you. Call me fan-boyish, but I won't have anyone talkin' bad about ya'll in ya'lls thread.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
On the plus side, I know the guy who runs the Houston convention is interested in trying to book you for next year. As far as I can tell no one who has an ounce of sense in the industry is listening to their side.

Thanks again for all your hard work, and to the rest the cast and crew. WTNV makes a great dinner activity with my friends, talking about The Weather, or using various quotations from the show as a springboard for philosophical discussion. This week we ended up talking about famous rabbits, and how a rabbit warren could take out a town of humans!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Dylan Marron posted a video of the WTNV crew performing "Foot Soldiers" by Eliza Rickman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSnzwzwc7g

I also forgot to mention Eliza has a Kickstarter going:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/94206527/eliza-rickman-makes-her-second-album-and-a-covers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

dragon_pamcake posted:

Dylan Marron posted a video of the WTNV crew performing "Foot Soldiers" by Eliza Rickman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSnzwzwc7g

I also forgot to mention Eliza has a Kickstarter going:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/94206527/eliza-rickman-makes-her-second-album-and-a-covers

"Squeaky Duck" is now my favorite instrument.