Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read it through World's End to watch a superhero world get absolutely destroyed.
Skip Worlds' Finest and Society. The E2ers went from World's End to the main series of Convergence, which isn't on sale and is horrible. Society is pretty okay, but it takes place after that, so don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Thank you thread, can't wait to find out if these heroes bleed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Since Marvel unlimited has most of the Star Wars comics ever printed on it now I'm curious what is good? Is any of it good? Or should I just ignore all but the new books they are printing?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edit: dang double phone post.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 21, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Since Marvel unlimited has most of the Star Wars comics ever printed on it now I'm curious what is good? Is any of it good? Or should I just ignore all but the new books they are printing?

They vary wildly in quality by can mostly be ignored. I highly recommend checking out the couple of Alan Moore penned compilation issues, which have pretty much nothing to do with Star Wars but are batshit insane sci fi short stories that he managed to slip into the licensed comics.

You can find them easily just by searching under his name.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mover posted:

They vary wildly in quality by can mostly be ignored. I highly recommend checking out the couple of Alan Moore penned compilation issues, which have pretty much nothing to do with Star Wars but are batshit insane sci fi short stories that he managed to slip into the licensed comics.

Alan Moore or original writer?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mover posted:

so just the alan moore penned books? I know they have nothing to do with the new books since the EU Star Wars was blown up. Just curious if any had a good story. Like the insanity that is Jaxxon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe the Rogue Squadron comics are generally solid, as are the adaptations of the Thrawn novels. And I recall some buzz about the Legacy book (about a descendant of Luke or Leia who rejects being a Jedi and instead is a bounty hunter, I think?)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
is the new lucifer book any good? i didnt know it existed until this morning and i extremely want it to be good

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Admittedly, I am not invested in the Lucifer character/series, but after reading the first five issues of the new series... it's okay? Feels less like the devil, prince of lies is investigating God's murder and more like some angels are being curt with each other and using Biblical names.
I prefer Red Thorn and its brand of "demonic influence with clever uses of magic" much better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

John Ostrander's Star Wars comics were generally very good. Agent of the Empire was an entertaining James Bond pastiche which was fairly accessible. The villain of its first arc was an older EU bad guy but the story as a whole was reasonably stand-alone.

My favourite weird Star Wars comic was one called Jedi vs Sith, on which I reminisced in the Star Wars comic thread a while ago.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Gaz-L posted:

I believe the Rogue Squadron comics are generally solid, as are the adaptations of the Thrawn novels. And I recall some buzz about the Legacy book (about a descendant of Luke or Leia who rejects being a Jedi and instead is a bounty hunter, I think?)

Star wars legacy, the first few are not super, but as the series goes on it's really solid and pretty great, probably the best Starwars comic and I've read them all.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Marvel sale on Comixology is a great time to pick up on some books I missed. With that said, what are some good books that are like Ms Marvel or Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Kinda tempted to get Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, the new Nova, and Miles Morales. I already have books like Runaways and Young Avengers, which stop at the point when the books supposedly get a lot worst.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

The Marvel sale on Comixology is a great time to pick up on some books I missed. With that said, what are some good books that are like Ms Marvel or Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Kinda tempted to get Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, the new Nova, and Miles Morales. I already have books like Runaways and Young Avengers, which stop at the point when the books supposedly get a lot worst.

Spider-Woman and Silk are better calls. The former absolutely has the 'super-person doing regular person stuff and sucking at it' that people seemed to like about Superior Foes, and Silk is just amazing in taking a character that was basically a walking cliche with some sexist overtones and turning her into a really relateable mess of a person. Mockingbird has a more action-y feel to it than Spider-Woman but the tone's similar. And I liked Chelsea Cain's explanation in the letters column that the book is told from Bobbi's perspective, so she's never going to objectify herself.

Squirrel Girl and Hellcat are both also good calls right now as well, but they're very light and comedic in tone. And please look at the art first, because I can't take another person freaking out because Henderson and Williams have the gall to go cartoony in their cartooning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of Marvel, I'm planning on catching up on Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel. Is Howard the Duck #6 the only issue needed to follow the crossover with Squirrel Girl? Is it a two part series, or will there be more issues next month?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

Speaking of Marvel, I'm planning on catching up on Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel. Is Howard the Duck #6 the only issue needed to follow the crossover with Squirrel Girl? Is it a two part series, or will there be more issues next month?

Its two issues

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Secret Invasion good? I'm looking for something as epic in scope as Hickman's Dark Reign to Secret Wars "run", any suggestions?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

Is Secret Invasion good? I'm looking for something as epic in scope as Hickman's Dark Reign to Secret Wars "run", any suggestions?

Secret Invasion wasn't great, in my view, but if you want something with that sense of scope and scale, the "cosmic" run that started with the Annihilation crossover and ran through Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning to Annihilation: Conquest is very highly regarded. There are several reading order charts, one of which will no doubt be posted shortly after I've made this post. :v:

Edit: Hold on, which Secret Invasion do you mean? Do you mean the one where a bunch of superheroes have been replaced by Skrulls, or the one where Nick Fury masterminds an invasion of Latveria?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The former.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rirse posted:

Silver Surfer and Moon Girl are a couple other really fun comics.

e: Then there's Fraction/Alred's FF and Charles Soule's She-Hulk, if you haven't checked them out before.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Toxxupation posted:

It's meh, but I don't think it will scratch your hickman itch. For that I say look too the cosmic marvel stuff (Annihilation and etc. someone find this man a convoluted reading order) or hickmans other marvel stuff. I suggest his Ultimatium stuff or his SHIELD but those aren't as big as his FF/NA/SW

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Edit: Hold on, which Secret Invasion do you mean? Do you mean the one where a bunch of superheroes have been replaced by Skrulls, or the one where Nick Fury masterminds an invasion of Latveria?

The Fury invading Latveria thing was actually called "Secret War," which isn't confusing at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My mistake. :shobon:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I'm looking for something as epic in scope as Hickman's Dark Reign to Secret Wars "run", any suggestions?

The closest thing would probably be Grant Morrison's stretch at Batman + Final Crisis, though it's not on Marvel Unlimited.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

trashbuilder posted:

It's meh, but I don't think it will scratch your hickman itch. For that I say look too the cosmic marvel stuff (Annihilation and etc. someone find this man a convoluted reading order) or hickmans other marvel stuff. I suggest his Ultimatium stuff or his SHIELD but those aren't as big as his FF/NA/SW

Shame since the idea of "for years in the comics skulls might had replaced characters and you never knew" was pretty interesting, but the main book spend too much time in the Savage Land for some reason.

Think I will probably grab Squirrel Girl and Hellcat for sure, and maybe Silk. Need to look into more with She-Hulk and Mockingbird. Any older fun books like these?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Rirse posted:

Shame since the idea of "for years in the comics skulls might had replaced characters and you never knew" was pretty interesting, but the main book spend too much time in the Savage Land for some reason.

Think I will probably grab Squirrel Girl and Hellcat for sure, and maybe Silk. Need to look into more with She-Hulk and Mockingbird. Any older fun books like these?

Nextwave if you haven't already read it, and the various Agents of Atlas minis. You might wanna check for a reading order on the Atlas stuff, there were a bunch of disparate miniseries released kinda sporadically

E: you might also like Greg Pak's Incrediblr Hercules, which is a little more traditional super heroics, but has a lot of heart and can be absolutely hilarious

Mover fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 22, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rirse posted:

The GLA minis are all good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rirse posted:

Because when you have an excuse to make an artist draw dinosaurs, you milk it, dammit!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Dan Slott's She-Hulk, actually. And seconding the recommendation for Agents of Atlas, it's a fun retrofit of Silver Age Marvel/Atlas stuff into a modern context.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

If you are looking for good non-marvel cosmic series I highly suggest Valiant X-O Manowar, comedy Archer and Armstrong, also Harbringers, Lemire's Bloodshot and Ninjak for action. Really you can not go wrong with Valiant's current offering.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Because when you have an excuse to make an artist draw dinosaurs, you milk it, dammit!

I'm really looking forward to an era where even comic book dinosaurs have feathers. The industry has to change!

Related: are there any comics with feathered dinos in them. Thanks in advance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Agreeing with the Annihilation recommendation. Basically the entire Giffen/Abnett/Lanning story starting in the Thanos limited series all the way until Thanos Imperative. I read it all as it was originally coming out because Cosmic Marvel is among my favorite comic book stuff. But here's the reading order I used for re-reads. Though without checking I have no idea how much of this is on Marvel Unlimited.

Setup
Thanos 1-12
Drax The Destroyer 1-4

Annihilation
Annihilation Prologue
Annihilation Nova 1-4
Annihilation Super Skrull 1-4*
Annihilation Ronan 1-4*
Annihilation Silver Surfer 1-4
Annihilation 1-6
Annihilation Heralds of Galactus 1-2

Nova 1-3

Annihilation Conquest
Annihilation Conquest Prologue
Annihilation Conquest Star Lord 1-4
Annihilation Conquest Quasar 1-4
Nova 4-7
Annihilation Conquest Wraith 1-4
Annihilation Conquest 1-2
Nova 8-10
Nova Annual
Annihilation Conquest 3-5
Nova 11-12
Annihilation Conquest 6
Guardians of the Galaxy 1-6

Nova 13-22

War of Kings
Guardians of the Galaxy 7-12
Secret Invasion Inhumans 1-4 (sets up War of Kings)
Secret Invasion War of Kings
X-Men Kingbreaker 1-4*
War of Kings Darkhawk 1
Nova 23
War of Kings Darkhawk 2
War of Kings 1
Nova 24
War of Kings 2
War of Kings Ascension 1
Guardians of the Galaxy 13
Nova 25
War of Kings 3
War of Kings Ascension 2
Guardians of the Galaxy 14
Nova 26
War of Kings 4
War of Kings Ascension 3
Guardians of the Galaxy 15
Nova 27
War of Kings 5
War of Kings Ascension 4
Guardians of the Galaxy 16
War of Kings 6
Guardians of the Galaxy 17
Nova 28
War of Kings - Who Will Rule?

Guardians of the Galaxy 18-19

Realm of Kings
Realm of Kings 1
Guardians of the Galaxy 20-24
Nova 32-35
Realm of Kings Imperial Guard 1-5*
Realm of Kings Inhumans 1-5*
Realm of Kings Son of Hulk 1-5*

Thanos Imperative
Guardians of the Galaxy 25
Nova 36
Thanos Imperative Ignition
Thanos Imperative 1-6
Thanos Imperative Devastation

I'd say anything marked with an asterisk you can skip if you want, but I like most of it. A lot of people don't like War of Kings and Realm of Kings and I think you can probably get by fine just reading the Guardians/Nova/Core books there if you don't care for it either. But Annihilation/Conquest/Thanos Imperative along with the entire Nova and Guardians titles are pretty much a must read.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm really looking forward to an era where even comic book dinosaurs have feathers. The industry has to change!

Related: are there any comics with feathered dinos in them. Thanks in advance.

The recent Turok 12 issue run by Greg Pak for Dynamite is a good book and some of the dinos definitely have feathers.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2016

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Many thanks for that, I will 100% copy and paste it for later reference when I decide to delve into all the cosmic stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't read a lot of comics anymore....what's the verdict on this Spider-Man/Deadpool team up book by Joe Kelly? That sounds very interesting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The verdict is: read it now.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I'm contemplating working on filling out one of my "mega-run" collections since Marvel has a BOGO sale and need some advice. If you could only get one (or part of one) of these bundles, which would you recommend?
  • The Back Half of Brubaker's Captain America
    • Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier
    • Captain America (2011-2012)
    • Winter Soldier #1-14
    • Miscellanea

• Pre-Avengers Hickman
    • Relevant Dark Reign stuff
    • Hickman Fantastic Four
    • FF
    • Maybe some Avengers World

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hickman Fantastic Four. Leave out Avengers World.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, making someone choose between Brubaker's Cap and Hickman's F4/FF? What kind of monster are you.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's only the last part of Brubaker's run. Well in that case the whole F4/FF run takes it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I have no regrets over reading 95% of that cosmic stuff XO posted and the other 5% was just average.

It's great especially Nova and pre famous Guardians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For a time, Nova was probably the best book Marvel was putting out.