Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

I'm not enough of an economist to say if he's wrong or not. My feeling is that any kind of economic crisis is more likely to be regional than statewide, and we still have $8 bn+ in the ESF. Whether we'll use that money remains to be seen, but I'll point out the biggest obstacle to using rainy day fund money was Rick Perry.

Rumors I've heard is there is considerable risk in the real estate market, especially in Houston, Austin and San Antonio. The O&G decline could pop a Houston real estate bubble and really multiply the financial impact of both bubbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Rents are stupidly high in Houston right now and while I haven't done an exhaustive study the only places to rent I could find sub $950 a month were ghetto as hell slum holes.

Housing market is due to burst any time now, half the dam city has been laid off in the last 6 months so I have no idea who's still buying those 500k+ condos that were going up like kudzu in neighborhoods were it used be 50k houses.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Numlock posted:

Rents are stupidly high in Houston right now and while I haven't done an exhaustive study the only places to rent I could find sub $950 a month were ghetto as hell slum holes.

Housing market is due to burst any time now, half the dam city has been laid off in the last 6 months so I have no idea who's still buying those 500k+ condos that were going up like kudzu in neighborhoods were it used be 50k houses.

Californians?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Californians?

Those move to Austin.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Dameius posted:

It's not GOTV generically but specifically treating like the river valley exists and that the people there have actually needs and problems and wants. The state level party is all sorts of hosed and withered on the vine though so I'd rather count on Republicans collapsing under their own success than the state level Democrats pulling their heads out their own asses.

Maybe the Dems could try to to set up a farm team.

Let's face it, Wendy Davis was a lovely candidate. Running as a single issue pro-abortion candidate didn't exactly get out the vote. It got her some national recognition, but as an actual candidate trying to connect with voters she sucked balls.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
As much as TX Dems suck, I don't think that is the only reason. There are plenty of Hispanic conservatives out there

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I don't really think she wanted to run. The tx democratic party chair was doing speeches in 2013 about how she didn't like her chances and didn't want to give up her seat. At least, that was the speech I saw.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I don't really think she wanted to run. The tx democratic party chair was doing speeches in 2013 about how she didn't like her chances and didn't want to give up her seat. At least, that was the speech I saw.

I read more that her seat was gone anyway so she said "sure, whatever".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

thrakkorzog posted:

Let's face it, Wendy Davis was a lovely candidate. Running as a single issue pro-abortion candidate didn't exactly get out the vote. It got her some national recognition, but as an actual candidate trying to connect with voters she sucked balls.

She didn't even do that. She ran away from the abortion issue by saying she would have voted for a 20-week ban if it hadn't had the other restrictions on clinics, and in the debate wouldn't even own up to voting for our fuckin president.

Her single-issue was education funding (which is an important issue don't get me wrong) but on everything else she pulled this "well the Republicans are basically right about everything including how much Obama sucks, vote for me and I'll be almost as Republican as they are."

And in the end none of that mattered because Abbott blanketed the airwaves with ads calling her a dishonest cowardly minion of Obama anyway.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like nobody talks about gerrymandering anymore. Is there just nothing we can do to fix it without implementing gerrymandering in our favor?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I feel like nobody talks about gerrymandering anymore. Is there just nothing we can do to fix it without implementing gerrymandering in our favor?

Sure, let a computer draw the districts. Neither party is going to go for that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Sure, let a computer draw the districts. Neither party is going to go for that.

Either that or increase the number of districts so it's harder to gerrymander. Again, not popular though because it diminishes a Representative's individual power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

Either that or increase the number of districts so it's harder to gerrymander. Again, not popular though because it diminishes a Representative's individual power.

Also the smaller the district the crazier the rep.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is it in the constitution that a state representative has to represent a certain geographical region? I know how many representatives a state gets is based on the population, but is there a reason we can't just give everyone a vote for how ever many open seats there are and fill the seats top down by popular vote? So like, if there's 4 seats, everyone picks 4 different candidates and then we tally em up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reik posted:

Is it in the constitution that a state representative has to represent a certain geographical region? I know how many representatives a state gets is based on the population, but is there a reason we can't just give everyone a vote for how ever many open seats there are and fill the seats top down by popular vote? So like, if there's 4 seats, everyone picks 4 different candidates and then we tally em up.

Hahaha good luck getting the rural reps to vote for that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's hard to talk about gerrymandering when we're in the middle of a census cycle. It'll be relevant again in 2019-2022.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Do districts get reset by the census?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Is The Donald going to win Texas?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Maoist Pussy posted:

Is The Donald going to win Texas?

Yes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well if it was held today, Cruz is leading him by 20 points.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
'face to bloodshed'

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reik posted:

That is specifically banned by a federal law because states in the South (with a white majority) would just put all of their congressional seats up for at large voting.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Texas House elected by full proportional representation would be pretty great, though. Our first coalition would be made up of Straus-suburbanites, the Chamber of Commerce Party and Kinky Friedman's Free West Texas Faction.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

computer parts posted:

That is specifically banned by a federal law because states in the South (with a white majority) would just put all of their congressional seats up for at large voting.

Hm, I see what you mean. You would have to put together some kind of self-correcting algorithm that would compare the distribution of the total votes to the distribution of the votes of voters who have currently elected officials and if those two populations were statistically significantly different implement a bias against the voters who have already placed an official.

Step 1: Popular vote for Rep 1.
Step 2: Check distribution of Rep 1 voters vs population, if different create bias towards Non-Rep 1 voters.
Step 3: Elect Rep 2.
Step 4: Check distribution of Rep 1 or 2 voters vs population, if different create bias towards Non-Rep 1 or 2 voters.

The only problem is you'd need to do every seat at the same time.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Well if it was held today, Cruz is leading him by 20 points.

Shameful.

What sort of person is a Cruz voter?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Shameful.

Even the Americans in Idiocracy elected a better President.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So is Austin backing off TNC regulations because of a petition? I bet could get at least that many people to sign a pro-train petition!

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/01/council-stalls-mandatory-fingerprinting-for-tncs-adopts-voluntary-program-instead/

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Badger of Basra posted:

So is Austin backing off TNC regulations because of a petition? I bet could get at least that many people to sign a pro-train petition!

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/01/council-stalls-mandatory-fingerprinting-for-tncs-adopts-voluntary-program-instead/

I'm sure the fact that the TNC petition having the backing of stuff like Uber and the like has absolutely nothing to do with why it's being listened to.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Sadly those sorts of voter petition tools are only usable to stop regulation not force infrastructure spending.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Friendly reminder: today is the last day to register to vote in time for the primaries on March 1.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Maoist Pussy posted:

Shameful.

Cruz sucked every single dick of every single low-level tea party organizer across the whole damned state during his Senate bid. That was one of the main reasons he came out of nowhere to beat the ever-loving poo poo out of David Dewhurst, despite Dewhurst having more money and years more experience. The Texas Tribune crowd still talks about how Cruz showed up at pretty much any tea party function that had more than four people at it so he could get them on his side. I wouldn't be surprised if Ted Cruz has shaken the hands of more Republican primary voters in this state than the every other primary candidate combined, plus Rick Perry.

Cruz is pretty much a lock for Texas, and if the Republicans in Iowa are as susceptible to glad-handing as their Texan counterparts, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls of an upset tonight (as he's been working at that same strategy over there for this primary). Then again, Iowa is a lot more used to high-level glad-handing than Texas, so his plan may not work as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've never posted in this thread, nor do I post much in D&D, but I figure this is a decent place for this.

What can the parties do, especially the Democrats, to get people to actually get out and vote?

I'm in State Rep district 118, and the voter turnout for the runoff we just had seriously makes me sad inside. 4% of registered voters bothered to vote. My precinct, which is basically my subdivision of about 900 homes, had 3 people vote. 2 of those people were my wife and I.

I know turnout is always low for non presidential elections, but looking at historical turnout for the 2008 and 2012 presidential election turnout was about 57%. Nov 2014, was even lower at 31.7%

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skipdogg posted:

I've never posted in this thread, nor do I post much in D&D, but I figure this is a decent place for this.

What can the parties do, especially the Democrats, to get people to actually get out and vote?

I'm in State Rep district 118, and the voter turnout for the runoff we just had seriously makes me sad inside. 4% of registered voters bothered to vote. My precinct, which is basically my subdivision of about 900 homes, had 3 people vote. 2 of those people were my wife and I.

I know turnout is always low for non presidential elections, but looking at historical turnout for the 2008 and 2012 presidential election turnout was about 57%. Nov 2014, was even lower at 31.7%

The easiest way is to not have an election in the January before the Presidential Elections.

There's an election for that same spot this fall, and it looks like there's enough Dems to get the Republican out of office. Don't worry about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, runoff elections are legendarily low turnout affairs. Source: Ted Cruz is a US Senator.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Good points.

I'm not too worried about seat 118 specifically, just more of an overall question about how it might be possible to get more people out there to vote. I believe Texas has some pretty big pockets of blue, and I'm curious if voter engagement is an issue, and if there's a way to improve it.

I'm sure there are lots of moving pieces to the puzzle that more politically savvy people are aware of. Lack of strong candidates probably being one.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/04/stickland-fights-strong-primary-challenge/

I've been surprised at how many yard signs I've seen in nearby neighborhoods that support Stick through all this (given his primary challenger is a well-liked local conservative). His post history at the fftoday forums seems to have been scrubbed (http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showuser=219), but is there any chance this guy had an account here considering he reached peak libertarian shithead at the same time as SA's surge? I already checked and the current username stick isn't him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hawkline posted:

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/04/stickland-fights-strong-primary-challenge/

I've been surprised at how many yard signs I've seen in nearby neighborhoods that support Stick through all this (given his primary challenger is a well-liked local conservative). His post history at the fftoday forums seems to have been scrubbed (http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showuser=219), but is there any chance this guy had an account here considering he reached peak libertarian shithead at the same time as SA's surge? I already checked and the current username stick isn't him.

The problem is that the religious right that he panders to loves a redemption story. In fact, the worse you were, the better because that feeds the redemption narrative these guys eat up every Sunday.

Honestly my problem with Stickland is just that he fucks poo poo up and hurts good legislation with his shenanigans; from a practical perspective it's like having no one represent that district because he doesn't vote with his caucus and he never passes legislation.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Good points.

I'm not too worried about seat 118 specifically, just more of an overall question about how it might be possible to get more people out there to vote. I believe Texas has some pretty big pockets of blue, and I'm curious if voter engagement is an issue, and if there's a way to improve it.

I'm sure there are lots of moving pieces to the puzzle that more politically savvy people are aware of. Lack of strong candidates probably being one.

There's large issues with voter engagement, but more pressingly, there's ENORMOUS issues with voter suppression.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Strickland seems like a turd, exactly the same kind of turd I was 10 years ago on the internet. I'm not running for office though. Any way to get this blasted out there to his constituency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

Strickland seems like a turd, exactly the same kind of turd I was 10 years ago on the internet. I'm not running for office though. Any way to get this blasted out there to his constituency?

They know and they don't care.