Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Wark Say posted:

Oh, gently caress you Japan: Haruki Murakami on number 20? :rant:

... Well, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki did come out in 2013, so maybe that's not so bad.

Murakami had one new book (a collection of shorts) out during the interval (November 11, 2013-November 16, 2014). Ishin had 5. Maybe let's not jump to the "gently caress you Japan" next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Let us know when you've seen the first episode. Please.

I've seen the first episode. It was kinda good, but also problematic. It looked very pretty.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shaft should just make more Hidamari Sketch. I guess there isn't enough new content to adapt, though.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

StandardVC10 posted:

Shaft should just make more Hidamari Sketch. I guess there isn't enough new content to adapt, though.

It's up to TBS producer Junichirou Tanaka if TBS wants to invest in more (as with Aniplex's Iwakami). They're the ones paying for it.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I feel like the writer of the -gatari books is like the Joss Whedon of anime. Both rely pretty heavily on rapid fire back and forth dialogue that nerds eat up, for some reason. Both also like their waifs a lot, though Joss Whedon at least has cultural constraints keeping them from writhing around on the ground with invisible penis-snakes in their mouths.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

has cultural constraints keeping them from writhing around on the ground with invisible penis-snakes in their mouths.

What the gently caress?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ultimatemegax posted:

Murakami had one new book (a collection of shorts) out during the interval (November 11, 2013-November 16, 2014). Ishin had 5. Maybe let's not jump to the "gently caress you Japan" next time.

I'm kinda madder about Ryo Wada (who is a loving hack) and Keiya Mizuno being that popular. And while I have a sort of love-hate relationship with Nisio's work, I do reckon that dude is dedicated to his craft. I was completely in the dark about Murakami coming up with a book of short-stories, though.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

What the gently caress?

It's a... thing that happens. The *monogatari series can be kinda weird like that. :cripes:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 10, 2014

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Who the hell are you haters anyway? Casuals?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

Do feel free to watch Ore Monogatari!! when it comes in spring, though! Seriously, it's a really fun manga. :allears:

And if it ever happens, Doubutsu Monogatari would be entertaining.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I, uh, watched before the BRs came out and that wasn't in the on-air version (due to budget problems, believe it or not). Maybe it's heinous, I'm not about to check.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Otoyomegatari would be pretty great if it ever gets an anime as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zorak is about to make this thread Illegal

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I dropped Bakemonogatari at the first pantyshot with accompanying explanatory monologue, which was roughly 5 seconds in, so I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to call the series bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Otoyomegatari would be pretty great if it ever gets an anime as well.

They would have to get some REALLY good animators to make up for the fact that Kaoru Mori's art is so goddamn pretty to look at. Like: What Kentaro Miura does for Lovecraftian-level abominations and nightmarish landscapes, Mori does it for period dresses, mountain villages and... gently caress, now I really want to see it animated.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wark Say posted:

They would have to get some REALLY good animators to make up for the fact that Kaoru Mori's art is so goddamn pretty to look at. Like: What Kentaro Miura does for Lovecraftian-level abominations and nightmarish landscapes, Mori does it for period dresses, mountain villages and... gently caress, now I really want to see it animated.

The lack of detail in the clothing to make it suitable to animate would be a gigantic loss, for sure.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Don't worry they'll get the Sidonia the to work on it.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

aers posted:

I dropped Bakemonogatari at the first pantyshot with accompanying explanatory monologue, which was roughly 5 seconds in, so I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to call the series bad.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Who the hell are you haters anyway? Casuals?

at least there are no females

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 10, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want to see this again already

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

at least there are no females
And now things make more sense to me. Please don't bash us for being natural perverts. It's how we all are.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Clearly you haven't watched any anime targeted towards women if you think that lady anime fans are less pervy than the dudes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Devil Tesla posted:

Clearly you haven't watched any anime targeted towards women if you think that lady anime fans are less pervy than the dudes.
I do not incline to believe that women are less pervy than men; I'm trying to find an explanation as to why so many people apparently hate Bakemonogatari.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I do not incline to believe that women are less pervy than men; I'm trying to find an explanation as to why so many people apparently hate Bakemonogatari.
do you want me to post the toothbrush gif or

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I found it to be kinda boring.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

do you want me to post the toothbrush gif or
That episode was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. My sides hurt for hours. I think Blogsuki puts it best:

quote:

… Shaft managed to pull off showing Koyomi pleasuring his sister with a toothbrush being used in the way toothbrushes are intended to be used… yet Shaft doesn’t show a kiss. And, yeah, there’s a lot of sexual tension here. It’s dripping. It’s as thick as toothpaste.

Not bad is Shaft’s total usage of slights and sounds to make this scene work. My gosh, their animation of Karen’s squirming and Koyomi’s smugness is excellent. The sound work capturing every gasp and moan and pant from Karen is exceptional. The classy BGM help too. Sure, Shaft could have gone with typical bad guitar strip club music, but they chose to do classy chamber music. Bravo. Shaft spends their production budget on things that matter.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I watched the first episode and it just seems like a bog standard lovely supernatural harem show hiding behind pretension and pretty backgrounds.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Mercrom posted:

I watched the first episode and it just seems like a bog standard lovely supernatural harem show hiding behind pretension and pretty backgrounds.

You are exactly right about what it is, yet I still say it is worth watching!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

StandardVC10 posted:

I'd be alright with them adapting some of Ume Aoki's other works. Hell, I just want more of her work to be translated. She makes the most heart warming and adorable manga.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

unpronounceable posted:

I'd be alright with them adapting some of Ume Aoki's other works. Hell, I just want more of her work to be translated. She makes the most heart warming and adorable manga.

I honestly don't know a lot about anything else she's done. (Apart from the character designs for that Madoka thing people keep talking about.)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

StandardVC10 posted:

I honestly don't know a lot about anything else she's done. (Apart from the character designs for that Madoka thing people keep talking about.)

Well there's this http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/mado-no-mukougawa-r5105 which has all of 4 chapters in english, because for some reason no one translates her stuff. That's the only non-Hidamari thing of hers other than some random one shots I've seen scanlators touch at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kubla Khan posted:

The solution as always is to watch it yourself to get a personal opinion.

This is the cool thing about anime, it caters to really different tastes.

Anyhow, my opinion mostly coincides with this guy's review http://myanimelist.net/profile/renahhchen/reviews (it's a bit clumsy and the author's clearly a teenager, so beware):

(is there a way to hide the whole thing under a single spoiler button?)

I'm going to say this is the same problem I have with that lovely Twintails show, but at least the 'gatari can do something interesting with it.

I find Katanagatari the most enjoyable because it actually has some meat to its shaggy dog story.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You liked Cross Ange, but hate Twintails? Like, Twintails is a pretty lovely show, but really?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cross Ange is an excellent show, what are you talking about? I really liked that recent episode where Ange rescues that ancient dragon and they forge a contract to save both humans and dragons from alien invaders.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I can't even tell if that's made up or not. Twintails had an owl monster that went undercover by wearing an owl mascot costume and that was a hoot.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Twintails is that amazing kind of terrible. It's dumb, entertaining and highly dedicated to it's gimmick. I just wish the budget wasn't so bad :smith:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really have loved Twintails, but a recent episode had an underaged girl naked in a dog collar barking on screen as part of the MC's fantasy and it's heavily implied that sort of thing is her fantasy as well and I'm just not sure the jokes and toku references are worth it any more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's my fantasy as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yikes!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I really have loved Twintails, but a recent episode had an underaged girl naked in a dog collar barking on screen as part of the MC's fantasy and it's heavily implied that sort of thing is her fantasy as well and I'm just not sure the jokes and toku references are worth it any more.

Oh my gosh! The horror!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KaneTW posted:

Oh my gosh! The horror!

C'mon, dude, we're not all so desensitised by anime that fantasising about naked BDSM twelve-year-olds is A-OK, are we?

Are... are we? :smith:

• Locked thread