Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I don't even play Duelyst anymore but it's ruined Hearthstone forever for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Missing the "replace" feature alone makes it hard to play anything else in the genre. :v:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dead in real life posted:

Sorry to ask this here, but I figured there'd be a lot of overlap in the player base: am I correct that there's no Faeria thread? Kind of a shame if not. Just now getting into that game, but already very intrigued.

I just checked it out after your comment, digging it so far. I'm Hauki in game if you or anyone else wants to put me down as a recruit.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Just pulled off 12 damage in one turn with Diretide Frenzy + Sleet Dasher letting me club the general while attacking his minions. Next dream: Spectral Revenant + Diretide Frenzy.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Started playing last sunday, made Gold just minutes ago! :toot:

This game's pretty fun - I'm playing a fast tempo Lyonar deck so far and I love how there's almost always a play you can make that turns the game around. The only thing I'm having trouble with is card screw - sometimes I can't accelerate my draw enough to get the ball rolling. This is what I got right now:

Argeon
Bloodtear Alchemist x3
Azurite Lion x3
Healing Mystic x3
Primus Fist x3
Sun Bloom x1
Sun Wisp x1
Tempest x3
Windblade Adept x3
Afterblaze x2
Repulsort Beast x1
Saberspine Tiger x3
Silverguard Knight x3
Sojourner x1
Holy Immolation x2
Lightbender x1
Suntide Maiden x3
Dancing Blades x3

What should I replace to make it more consistent? Especially against Vanar decks, it always feels like they just completely snatch the tempo away from me at some point, even when I can keep my deck drawing.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 1, 2017

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm not really digging the rift format. I really think it should let you crack open a level up pack THEN decide what card you're replacing. It's too easy to get RNG screwed all the more and then have to wait and lose a few more games/tank your rating because you tried to replace a lovely value 3 drop creature but could only replace it with 5-6 drops and spells a few too many times.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm not really digging the rift format. I really think it should let you crack open a level up pack THEN decide what card you're replacing. It's too easy to get RNG screwed all the more and then have to wait and lose a few more games/tank your rating because you tried to replace a lovely value 3 drop creature but could only replace it with 5-6 drops and spells a few too many times.

Rift sux

It just makes no loving sense as a format and there's no reward

I wish I could play gauntlet, it seems much more fun AND profitable :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Transient People posted:

Started playing last sunday, made Gold just minutes ago! :toot:

What should I replace to make it more consistent? Especially against Vanar decks, it always feels like they just completely snatch the tempo away from me at some point, even when I can keep my deck drawing.

Congrats and welcome aboard!

Speaking as a dedicated Abyssian player, here's what I see most often from Lyonar: Ironcliffe Guardian to Divine Bond is the classic Lyonar finisher combo. You Airdrop the Guardian next to the enemy's General, then next turn (or this turn if you have the mana) you pop a Divine Bond and crush them with a 13/10 with Provoke. Frankly, Divine Bond is a great spell for Lyonar, even without Guardians, since it can boost your high health dudes across the board.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Congrats and welcome aboard!

Speaking as a dedicated Abyssian player, here's what I see most often from Lyonar: Ironcliffe Guardian to Divine Bond is the classic Lyonar finisher combo. You Airdrop the Guardian next to the enemy's General, then next turn (or this turn if you have the mana) you pop a Divine Bond and crush them with a 13/10 with Provoke. Frankly, Divine Bond is a great spell for Lyonar, even without Guardians, since it can boost your high health dudes across the board.

I used to do Divine Bond, but it's just kinda slow on anything that isn't an Ironcliffe or similarly boosted. Like, example: Primus Fist on a Dancing Blade or Suntide Maiden, plus Roar = exact same damage across two turns, but you can also play the Fist as an opener card, buff it with Afterblaze to start punching dudes out or whatever. Bond is kinda inflexible without Ironcliffes (I got one but am still working through getting the other two). I'll give it a shot, but I wonder if it's truly that strong considering just how long it takes to deploy the Cliffe.

(relatedly, is there a reason Ironcliffe Heart isn't used over real Ironcliffes? It feels like it should be the superior card - it doesn't have Airdrop, sure, but it lets you use your small 1 and 2-drops efficiently or turn a 3-drop that's about to die into a huge stall. The value seems like it's there to me, and is more flexible due to cheapness than Ironcliffe itself.)

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Transient People posted:

I used to do Divine Bond, but it's just kinda slow on anything that isn't an Ironcliffe or similarly boosted. Like, example: Primus Fist on a Dancing Blade or Suntide Maiden, plus Roar = exact same damage across two turns, but you can also play the Fist as an opener card, buff it with Afterblaze to start punching dudes out or whatever. Bond is kinda inflexible without Ironcliffes (I got one but am still working through getting the other two). I'll give it a shot, but I wonder if it's truly that strong considering just how long it takes to deploy the Cliffe.

(relatedly, is there a reason Ironcliffe Heart isn't used over real Ironcliffes? It feels like it should be the superior card - it doesn't have Airdrop, sure, but it lets you use your small 1 and 2-drops efficiently or turn a 3-drop that's about to die into a huge stall. The value seems like it's there to me, and is more flexible due to cheapness than Ironcliffe itself.)

Divine Bond is one of Lyonar's staple cards. There are a lot of neutral minions that work really well with it. The best example are Dioltas or Owlbeast Sages. Diolta's tombstones are brutal with Divine Bond and easy to abuse. Owlbeast Sages can quickly get a lot of health built up for Divine Bond to one shot generals.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like how the boss loving bms you when it has lethal

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Stretch Marx posted:

Divine Bond is one of Lyonar's staple cards. There are a lot of neutral minions that work really well with it. The best example are Dioltas or Owlbeast Sages. Diolta's tombstones are brutal with Divine Bond and easy to abuse. Owlbeast Sages can quickly get a lot of health built up for Divine Bond to one shot generals.

Oh man

That Dioltas is probably what I need to go for next I think, once I'm done getting Holy Immolations. It's such a nice card, and having it would allow for Divine Bond to come back onto my deck. Minions that need to be killed twice are HUGE value.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Rift is fun for a casual mode, but I really think you should earn level ups much faster. Give me total chaos or give me death :argh:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Transient People posted:

Oh man

That Dioltas is probably what I need to go for next I think, once I'm done getting Holy Immolations. It's such a nice card, and having it would allow for Divine Bond to come back onto my deck. Minions that need to be killed twice are HUGE value.

Dioltas are pretty good overall but I think get the most value from Lyonar and Abyssian just because of how their mechanics work. They're one of my 4 mana must haves for my dying wish deck.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I've been playing Rift with a Faie burn deck that includes a pair of Eight Gates and Cobra Strikes. It's been grinding through people pretty well. I'm trying to get a few Abyssian cards into the deck but so far Vanar and Songhai are pretty fun together.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I'm speaking mostly out of my rear end but it feels Vanar and Vetruvian have fairly strong starts. Vanar already has a control shell since all of their big cards (chromatic cold and flash freeze) are available in the basic package, while I've gotten an incredible amount of mileage out of being able to combo with Arctic Displacers in an environment where removal is uncommon. Vetruvian is strong for a similar reason: not a lot of dispels to answer Second Wish combos, but I have no experience with them.

In other people's experience do you find the cards offered by the upgrade weighted towards your starting faction?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
In my opinion Lyonar and Vanar (which of the two is debatable) have the best starts followed by Vetruvian and Magmar.

Lyonar gets a lot of mileage out of zeal and being able to buff provoke minions with spell cards from other factions is rough.

Vanar though tends to be the toughest out of all the factions because of the reasons Robo mentioned. I do find though that if Vanar make a mistake they get punished pretty hard for it in draft scenarios since a lot of their minions are based around synergy combos.

Vetruvian doesn't have to worry as much about dispel but the cards people can have access too now makes a lot of their openers weaker. Obelysks aren't much of a threat when your minions can death strike them away.

Magmar always has a solid opener and Rift isn't much different.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Beat the newest boss on my second try. The first time I lost because mostly the Creep half of my Swarm/Creep hybrid deck came up and I foolishly wasted my Obliterate to kill the pre-unification form of the boss and ended up behind the eight-ball when the superform came online. The second time more of the Swarm stuff came up, and while the fact that he had Dark Transformation available kept my usual Deathfire Crescendo'ed dudes in check, he really had no answer for multiple Shadow Dancers, especially since he couldn't resist killing my Wraithlings en masse.

Still this guy beat me the first time, so good on you for that Kronikle! :golfclap:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It looks like the loss of Kelaino has pretty much crippled Cassyva decks altogether; maybe I spoke a little too soon.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It looks like the loss of Kelaino has pretty much crippled Cassyva decks altogether; maybe I spoke a little too soon.

I don't know about that. My main is a creep deck and Kelaino is still very useful with creep on the ground pinging things.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, I wouldn't say that Kelaino is "lost" really. Even back when she was 2/5 I always stuck her in the back row out of the way. Now that's she's 3/3, I do the same. Sure, she dies to a Frostburn now and she's a smidge less durable as a Deathfire Crescendo host, but her stats were never really the point.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
:doh: I forgot that basic cards from other factions probably will never be draftable. Should've done Songhai for potential inner focus cheese.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

cpaf posted:

I stumbled on it as a Hearthstone refugee, which I only played super casually (for a long time) and was still massively put off by how increasingly money gated it is/was becoming. Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people come over as Blizzard fucks that game up more and more. I'd never heard of this game (or Faeria) though I played a fair bit of Scrolls when it came out, and I've been enjoying Duelyst quite a lot over the last week just after clicking this thread randomly

I've been having fun with a budget argeon bond deck and have saved up my sheckles for holy immolation and am greatly enjoying casually carving through silver league :shobon:

Throw me in this bucket, too. I love a lot about Duelyst as a game, but the fact that it's literally, unambiguously pay to win (and not cheaply, either) has kinda put me off ever becoming an extremely dedicated player. I tried just playing Gauntlet forever to not have to deal with it, but part of what I love about card games is the freedom to make interesting decks. Which I can't really do if it takes me months to grind up the cards for a single decent deck. Also, I'm poo poo at gauntlet. :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I've been playing shardbound while waiting to get into the duelyst ios beta and I'm liking it a lot despite it being in alpha. It plays a lot like it but the board is much more of a consideration because stuff like the high ground and line of sight really matters.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

And on the topic of the payment model, I will say that it's incredibly annoying to come back after an absence and find out that, surprise, a bunch of cards got completely remade and the spirit I spent on them is now basically worthless as far as my decks are concerned.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Androc posted:

And on the topic of the payment model, I will say that it's incredibly annoying to come back after an absence and find out that, surprise, a bunch of cards got completely remade and the spirit I spent on them is now basically worthless as far as my decks are concerned.

While I agree, almost every card they've modified has had a grace period to get back the spirit for. Obviously doesn't last forever though.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Yeah I'm not really getting the Rift hate. I'm at lvl 19 Rating 812 with this deck:

Faie Bloodwing
Flash Freeze x3
Aspect of the Fox x2
Crescent Spear x1 (hoping to find more or similarly useful artifact)
Crystal Cloaker x3
Cryptographer x 3
Chromatic Cold x3
Eight Gates x2
Bone Swarm x1
Frigid Corona x1
Punish x1
Fenrir Warmaster x3
Snowpiercer x2
Primus Shieldmaster x1
Young Flamewing x2
Earth Sphere x1
Trinity Oath x1
Cobra Strike x3
Arclyte Regalia x1
Arctic Displacer x2
Grandmaster Z'ir x1
Dark Nemesis x2

I'm hoping to get a Tempest. It seems to chew through people fairly well and seems very mana efficient. You get a lot of damage out of each turn. If Crescent Spear is currently already up, then Eight Gates, then Cobra Strike,then Warbird gives you 10 damage to the enemy general without having to be near them at all. I would like to eventually replace Either the Arctic Displacers or the Dark Nemesises with Spiral Techniques since the spell is a more reliable finisher.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 14, 2017

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I just got chewed up by your deck earlier today! Turns out trying to knock someone's Arclyte Regalia off with your face is a extremely terrible move.

I've also been having fun in Rift mode, though I think the competition is in general just kind of soft (maybe due to a shallow player pool?). My deck is still Vanar with value cards and big finishers -- I would love to get wacky with blinding bangle + lyonar artifacts, but that's going to take some serious high rolling.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

RoboCicero posted:

I just got chewed up by your deck earlier today! Turns out trying to knock someone's Arclyte Regalia off with your face is a extremely terrible move.

I've also been having fun in Rift mode, though I think the competition is in general just kind of soft (maybe due to a shallow player pool?). My deck is still Vanar with value cards and big finishers -- I would love to get wacky with blinding bangle + lyonar artifacts, but that's going to take some serious high rolling.

Yeah I've had to go through a lot of spirit to get the rolls needed to make my deck. That being said I dropped the Arctic Displacers for Circuluses which have made the deck even more obnoxious. I'd like to find some Void Pulses now to replace the Young Flamewings, but after that everything else will just be filler. Or another Arclyte Regalia. Grandmaster Z'ir is also pretty funny with this deck.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I picked this up again a few days ago, put down a couple of :10bux: for the expansion, and I'm loving it.

Favorite decks are Lyonar/Vetruvian Golems. There's just so much synergy with golems now, Late Game Sirocco + Golem Vanquisher literally clogs up the entire board and the opponent can't move anything and it's won me more than a few games.

Magmar Golems aren't as synergistic though.

Edit: Had one endgame vs an Awesome-ized Lillith that I ended up winning because I had Sirocco and a Boulder Breacher and ended up drawing the other Breachers and just kept slaughtering the 5/5 wraithlings til they got to her and ended it. Love that deck.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 21, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I'm currently hovering between 1200 - 1300 for a last week in Rift. Deck is winning most of its games and I've been playing Grinch a few times now as well as a bunch of other repeats so I think I'm at the top of the pile along with a bunch of other players. It's almost a solo deck. I haven't decided if I should drop some of my early game minions for just more straight damage.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
You have until Wednesday I think to finish up your Rift games. The upcoming patch this week is going to have some nice QoL improvements for Gauntlet now that it's returning.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Are they shutting down Rift completely? I like it a lot more than normal draft.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Yep, for now. Not sure what the plans will be if they intend on bringing it back at a later point, but for now Rift will be gone tomorrow.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
That's really disappointing. Honestly Rift has resparked interest in the game for me. Also regret disenchanting cards for this deck now.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Patch notes: https://news.duelyst.com/duelyst-patch-1-85/

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Got an email today, apparently Duelyst is now partnered with Bandai Namco.

Wonder what brought that on?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

BenRGamer posted:

Got an email today, apparently Duelyst is now partnered with Bandai Namco.

Wonder what brought that on?

For publicity and sounds like bandai will handle servers. Seems like a good move, though I'm waiting on mobile to jump back in.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Bandai Namco is involved with translation to other languages, marketing, platform availability, and handling customer support.

Also huge new expansion launches 7/11. Revealed cards so far: https://www.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/6jnap5/unearthed_prophecy_revealed_card_list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Kronikle posted:

Bandai Namco is involved with translation to other languages, marketing, platform availability, and handling customer support.

Also huge new expansion launches 7/11. Revealed cards so far: https://www.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/6jnap5/unearthed_prophecy_revealed_card_list

It's shaping up to be an exciting expansion. I'm hoping my Lurking Fear Abyssian and Golem Sajj get enough support to not be C-grade decks!

And the Sentinels seen like a neat concept to balance out the new tiles too. Excited for the 11th!

• Locked thread