Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Sorry but the detail on scenes that are CGI (e.g. arrow through the eye) gives it away. That and the fact that this guy, who claims to be an extra, has a pretty detailed overview of the whole episode and not just the little part he was in.

Perhaps he's a writer on the show this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even if that spoiler thing is real it doesn't sound that bad to me? Sorta sounds like every other major battle in this show/book. I fully expect the 'good guys' to get some victories again, I mean poo poo that's kinda why a lot of people have felt the last few seasons are painful.

I know this doesn't fit some peoples 'vision' for the end of the series, but I feel like a lot of people were destined to be disappointed.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Game of Thrones has always been too bad about giving good people no victories at all and bad guys complete victory, even if the villain acted dumber and more impulsively than the good guy. The show just makes it more obvious.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
"We shall avenge our father......by murdering his remaining loved ones!"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bbf2 posted:

"We shall avenge our father......by murdering his remaining loved ones!"

Don't forget the part about doing absolutely nothing to hurt Jaime Lannister, the guy who is directly related to everyone who orchestrated Elia's and Oberyn's death.

Next step, the sandsnakes are going to burn down Sunspear just so that Cersei feels really sad she can't do it herself.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 25, 2016

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Maybe the Sand Snakes' ultimate revenge will be killing themselves before the Lannisters can.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hilariously out of place dothraki banter, otherwise no

that was the worst loving part of the episode, can't miss up an opportunity to slip in some rape jokes for those mongoloid savage horse people to say, no siree

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bobjr posted:

Game of Thrones has always been too bad about giving good people no victories at all and bad guys complete victory, even if the villain acted dumber and more impulsively than the good guy. The show just makes it more obvious.

Before, it generally felt like Prison Rules / Realpolitik. Now it all feels like clumsy, "We do what you don't want us to do. It's our thing. :downs:"

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
Okay, Trystane was in King's Landing when he died, right? Why else would he have been painting the eye rock thing? I assumed that was for Myrcella.

If he was there, then how did the sad snakes get there? They weren't on the boat, were they? And how did they make it all the way to his room, armed and seemingly undetected? Jaime wouldn't have left him just anywhere, surely he would have had people guarding the door, and he'd probably be in the castle, so...

If he was back in Dorne, how/when did he get there, and who was that eye thing for?

What am I missing? Like, no matter how I look at it, it doesn't add up. It doesn't make sense if he's in KL because the sad snakes wouldn't be there, but it doesn't make sense for him to be in Dorne either because he was on the boat. And if he wasn't, why was he painting the eye thing? Who was it for?

The only thing I can come up with is that he didn't go to KL but it doesn't make any sense. Am I overthinking this or am I missing something or what?

Edit: Oh, I get it. He was left on the boat and the sand snakes probably followed in another boat. I guess that makes sense. Sort of.

Vanellope fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 25, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I'm going to guess we don't hear anything else from Dorne for at least half the season. Looks like based on the preview Jaime's mad at the High Sparrow and we're going to learn how Bran's doing in the magic tree. Fun times.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

that was the worst loving part of the episode, can't miss up an opportunity to slip in some rape jokes for those mongoloid savage horse people to say, no siree

I don't think anything can top the trainwreck that is Dorne. It has an entire season of poo poo and Bad Pussy backing it up. I'll be pretty happy if we never see anything from Dorne again and at most we get a passing mention of "oh btw the sand snakes all killed themselves, so the problem solved itself!"

At this point I'm just turning my brain off whenever I watch this show, something I should have done last season. Trying to defend bad writing or coming up with dumb theories to try and make the book and show compatible is pointless.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," say Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know Doran and Trystane, the ruler and heir of Dorne?' ‘Yeah?’ ‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that they'd get killed by the Sand Snakes? What else are the Snakes going to do?’ ‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

oh good, i'm glad this poo poo meme has already returned

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Cygni posted:

Even if that spoiler thing is real it doesn't sound that bad to me? Sorta sounds like every other major battle in this show/book. I fully expect the 'good guys' to get some victories again, I mean poo poo that's kinda why a lot of people have felt the last few seasons are painful.

I know this doesn't fit some peoples 'vision' for the end of the series, but I feel like a lot of people were destined to be disappointed.

Um, did you miss the part about the giant wall of corpses?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
So it's come to this for the storyline in Dorne?

This is the go to plan?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

lezard_valeth posted:

Even J'aqen said that even with his skills it would take days, months, years to kill someone so far away and heavily guarded (in that case Tywin).

By this point they should just say "gently caress it, we are not taking this seriously anymore" and have the final confrontation for the Iron Throne be Ser Twenty of the House Goodmen vs Bad Pussies.

After what we saw today, is anyone on this thread still doubting the legitimacy of the extra's spoiler?

What is the spoiler?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JackDarko posted:

What is the spoiler?

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh boy are you in for a trainwreck (possible massive spoilers) http://imgur.com/BPnVKH9

It sounds like a dumb fanfic but:

- It came a month before trailer 2
- It has just the right amount of dumbs to be considered a legit D&D plot

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end? I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?"

I think Ellaria might hold the record for most-altered character in an adaptation.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

oh good, i'm glad this poo poo meme has already returned

I think its pretty funny if it isnt happening constantly. D&D are terrible and this show treads on the side of watchable despite them and their liberties. Its good to make fun of the hairbrained showrunners.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah so, way too many posts for me to catch up with.

I assume the consensus is that other than Liam Cunningham doing his Sean Connery impression this episode was largely garbage?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end? I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?"

I think Ellaria might hold the record for most-altered character in an adaptation.

It's like all the characters have been reduced to the laziest, most exaggerated caricature of themselves.

Ellaria was Oberyn's paramour, therefore she must of course want VENGEANCE beyond all point of rationality. There is absolutely no room for complications where the Sand Snakes might want revenge, but Ellaria is older and wiser and has a different point of view on the destructiveness of the cycle of violence.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't mind the Dothraki bullshitting. It sounds exactly like the kind of dumb frat jokes two soldiers would tell each other. Those two Lannister soldiers telling crass immature jokes a few seasons ago was basically the same thing. The whole can't touch a widow thing was pretty weak, but it's safe to assume the Khal was at least aware that Drogo had a blonde princess wife matching Dani's description, and they either had to have her getting raped all the way back to Vaes Dothrak, or come up with a contrived excuse for it not to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it came directly from the books gurms scribbled notes.

All of Dorne remains hot garbage.

my bony fealty posted:

:jerkbag:

Yeah, GoT sure is racist about the rape. Only the savages are rapey, unlike the civilized white folks who are not at all rapey.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Drogo would have never let his underlings interrupt his tedius stories with such impunity.

I was really surprised Dany wasn't just flat out recognized, of course I expected this Khalasar to be a fragment of Drogo's but still, wasn't Drogo a huge deal? In the books there was several Khals in his wedding and I'd assume all the Dothraki heard about Dany. Oh well.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Drogon is gonna immolate vaes dothrak by the end of this right?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FourLeaf posted:

It's like all the characters have been reduced to the laziest, most exaggerated caricature of themselves.

Ellaria was Oberyn's paramour, therefore she must of course want VENGEANCE beyond all point of rationality. There is absolutely no room for complications where the Sand Snakes might want revenge, but Ellaria is older and wiser and has a different point of view on the destructiveness of the cycle of violence.

I get the impression that Ellaria was supposed to be more of a throwaway character but people found Indira Varma in those silky dresses to be hauntingly attractive so her character was butchered.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

hemophilia posted:

Drogon is gonna immolate vaes dothrak by the end of this right?

I doubt it, Dany is supposed to lead a great khalasar, I think he'll just show up and the Dosh Khaleen will lose their poo poo and pronounce him the Stallion Who Mounts The World.

Not that there's much to burn in Show Vaes Dothrak, it's basically that one horse statue and one wooden structure.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Just realised Jaime gives Brienne Oathkeeper and says something like "defending Ned Stark's daughter with his own steel" and then she uses it to kill the man Ned died to declare as king.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Brienne's oath always included that part about killing Stan when the time is right though?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I get the impression that Ellaria was supposed to be more of a throwaway character but people found Indira Varma in those silky dresses to be hauntingly attractive so her character was butchered.

I don't know how people who read the books and then watch the show and complain about poo poo like this don't realize they've done what they've done with other characters and created a composite of Ellaria and Arianne for simplicity sake.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah so, way too many posts for me to catch up with.

I assume the consensus is that other than Liam Cunningham doing his Sean Connery impression this episode was largely garbage?

Just watch it. The show is like an inverse of this thread, 10% stupid poo poo, 90% good.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This episode was alright. I wanted more bran and less dorne but what happened in dorne only makes sense if theyre trying to excise most of it from the plot. I hope episode 2 features the sand snacks being turned into pulp so we can promptly forget about it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't know how people who read the books and then watch the show and complain about poo poo like this don't realize they've done what they've done with other characters and created a composite of Ellaria and Arianne for simplicity sake.

When was Arianne ever this blood thirsty? Show Ellaria has no bits of Arianne nor Book Ellaria to her, in fact her and the snakes have all been turned into a variation on Obara Sand.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Even Arianne learns the hard way how stupid VENGEANCE is and starts cooperating with Doran's more subtle plans though. Defending Doran being murdered with "Show Ellaria is an Ellaria/Arianne composite" makes no sense.

VVVV Exactly.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

^ Yes, thanks.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You're right, Show-Ellaria and Arianne are very similar. I mean look at the most recent thing we've seen them do - Arianne realising the folly of her plans for revenge, making peace with Doran, learning about his plans and working with him to further them, and Show-Ellaria stabbing Doran to death. I don't know why I didn't see the similarities before.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So... how did the Sand Snakes show up in the goddamn ship outside the Red Keep?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So... how did the Sand Snakes show up in the goddamn ship outside the Red Keep?

I don't know, but until we get a good answer, I'm just going to imagine the Sand Snakes have a snake shaped submarine called the SandSub, and that it followed the ship all the way to Kings Landing unnoticed.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Two explanations I've read so far is that they've either clung on two the bottom of the ship like barnacles for the duration of the journey or have alternatively tied the whip to the ship and water skied.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 25, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm not going to be happy unless the white walkers kill everyone.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't mind the Dothraki bullshitting. It sounds exactly like the kind of dumb frat jokes two soldiers would tell each other. Those two Lannister soldiers telling crass immature jokes a few seasons ago was basically the same thing. The whole can't touch a widow thing was pretty weak, but it's safe to assume the Khal was at least aware that Drogo had a blonde princess wife matching Dani's description, and they either had to have her getting raped all the way back to Vaes Dothrak, or come up with a contrived excuse for it not to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it came directly from the books gurms scribbled notes.

All of Dorne remains hot garbage.

:jerkbag:

Yeah, GoT sure is racist about the rape. Only the savages are rapey, unlike the civilized white folks who are not at all rapey.

naw my problem is that the dothraki in this episode had absolutely nothing to do except talk about how they wanted to trash Dany via sexual violence or just normal violence, until she claims she's an ex-khaleesi and the khal just seems to take her word for it. if he was aware of Khal Drogo's blonde wife then he should have recognized her right away, and if he wasn't then why does he believe her without hesitation? it's not racist, just lazy writing, the dothraki are real neat and they put so much work into fleshing out a culture and language for them and if Dany was kidnapped by Lannister soliders the writing would have been the exact same, rape and all. they managed to make the dothraki boring.

unless the Khal didn't really believe her and figured going to hang out with the rest of the dothraki crones was punishment enough, or he did immediately recognize her and was just playing games??? the real chess players are....the showrunners...

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BreakAtmo posted:

^ Yes, thanks.

You're right, Show-Ellaria and Arianne are very similar. I mean look at the most recent thing we've seen them do - Arianne realising the folly of her plans for revenge, making peace with Doran, learning about his plans and working with him to further them, and Show-Ellaria stabbing Doran to death. I don't know why I didn't see the similarities before.

It's a composite in a slightly different story. The show is very clearly telling a similar story but with at times different outcomes because various components are removed. It's artistic license, and it works perfectly well.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's a composite in a slightly different story. The show is very clearly telling a similar story but with at times different outcomes because various components are removed.

Dunno, that sounds like a whole new story to me.

• Locked thread