Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Eyochigan posted:

She stole medicine from Negan, a little bit different than asking for it. If she was a man she would have been kilt probably.

I mean maybe you have a point, I don't feel like going back and rewatching/reading that part after how long it took to find that example from 117.. but I'm pretty certain there's a sense of debt from that. Keep the medicine, be my wife, Dwight, be cool.

In the comics, and in the TV show, it starts with Carl opening fire on dudes, killing several, while Negan hides behind them. I do not think Negan was making it easy for Carl. We also see a very limited perspective of what Carl would actually be able to shoot, since this is a TV show with cameras, and a comic book with panels. Beyond having no shot, there's the human element of taking a life when the person is acknowledging you and not threatening you back. It's easy to shoot scared soldiers running to defend themselves. It's not so easy to shoot someone in a calm situation where everyone is already alert, let alone when that person is talking to you and de escalating the situation from violence. Even if they've done horrendous things to your friends, they could have had their men tear you apart and yet you're both talking.

But someone else said this is a TV show and that doesn't count. So what else is left in this overdrawn argument? As an elitist comic reader I just want to say to stay tuned.

Dude, you are like a bottomless well of excuses for this steaming pile of a show and it's bad writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Human Crouton posted:

I think that Negan doesn't want to die, but worries more about what happens to him if he lives like the people he oppresees.

So he acts the way he does because the alternative is being the people under him. If he dies then it is better than being run under a copy Negan.
I don't doubt that he's aware of the footing he's standing on however he is a fully-entitiled and fully-enthusiastic tyrant. I think he's the first instance of that which has occurred in TWD as well, because the governor really felt he was doing good (even though he was a closet psychopath who regularl;y made out with his own daughter's zombie), and he ended up gaining a lot of humanity after everything went to poo poo for him. The cannibals were counterpunching at threats which had damaged them, etc etc.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Negan - (Gets right up close to the face of his victim and whispers menacingly) You can be my wife or...YOU and your WHOLE FAMILY can do that ... OTHER JOB...
Slave - no, no...(sobs)

Goon - This seems like a healthy and rational basis for a relationship and furthermore entirely free of any form of rape of coercion. Perhaps it is you who needs to reassess your views on women.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

and he ended up gaining a lot of humanity after everything went to poo poo for him.

He was made into an actual interesting character

Then they said gently caress this poo poo, flipped crazy mode back on and poo poo the bed

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
Ok so can anyone tell me what the zombie moat peoples job actually is?
They mostly seem to be wandering around nearly getting bitten all day without actually being productive? Maybe arbitrarily moving the zombies from one pole to another pole?
It looks suuuuper stressful for them.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Spermanent Record posted:

Goon - This seems like a healthy and rational basis for a relationship and furthermore entirely free of any form of rape of coercion. Perhaps it is you who needs to reassess your views on women.

You need to get your eyes checked, or you need to stop trolling. Arguing for a comic book character != actual personal beliefs.

I'm not negan guy. spoilers.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 7, 2016

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Eyochigan posted:

You need to get your eyes checked, or you need to stop trolling. Arguing for a comic book character != actual personal beliefs.

I'm not negan guy. spoilers.

Here's an amazing thing. Your real-world views inform the way you read art. If you think that Negan isn't a rapist, based on the information that was conveyed in that episode then you're an irl bad person.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

We don't need to conflate your comments with Negan's to be uncomfortable with them. And nor does your saying "I'm not Negan!" make your comments any less weird.

Show is trashy. Comics are garbage. This thread is a perfect marriage of the two.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Steve Shultz posted:

Ok so can anyone tell me what the zombie moat peoples job actually is?
They mostly seem to be wandering around nearly getting bitten all day without actually being productive? Maybe arbitrarily moving the zombies from one pole to another pole?
It looks suuuuper stressful for them.

It's the equivalent of basic training - get torn down to the shreds of your humanity and self-respect and then after being forced to scrub toilets with a toothbruth - suddenly you're shoved out into a spotlight and tolf CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE A REAL WARRIOR!!!

I am looking forward to when Daryl gets his crossbow back and then Negan asks him to shoot Rick in the back with a poisoned quarrell Or maybe it'll be the bitchy Alexandria-leader-lady's son, using that brand new compound bow he's so proud of. I'd prefer the former but I expect the latter.

edit: somehow I quoted the wrong person until I noticed

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Eyochigan posted:

You can say I have hosed up views about women but that doesn't make it true. I infact love women. I love people in general.

Ok, Donald. Whatever you say.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Eyochigan loves women.. When he sees a beautiful woman he just inserts a tic-tac into his mouth just i case he is unable to control himself from kissing them and grabbing their pussies

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

And here I was about to make a joke about Negan being like Fortune from Metal Gear, where bullets miss him no matter what.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Spermanent Record posted:

Here's an amazing thing. Your real-world views inform the way you read art. If you think that Negan isn't a rapist, based on the information that was conveyed in that episode then you're an irl bad person.

Negan on the TV show is different from what I've seen in the comics, and we obviously have not come anywhere near the full presentation of the story. The way it is presented in the comics could go either way, but there's a lot that says he cares a great deal about women

and I loving hate this discussion because in order to prove my point to an audience that watches the TV show, I need to delve into comic spoilers and I don't want to do that. It's ok if you guys hate negan. You're supposed to. And a TV show is going to give you every reason to do so.\

friendly reminder that I am not negan, donald trump, or an MRA. I'm just a goon like you, arguing about a tv show on the internet. any opinions or characters in this post are purely fictional and not to be taken as fact.

edit: yeah I'm that poster. Sah dude.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 7, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eyochigan posted:

and I loving hate this discussion because in order to prove my point to an audience that watches the TV show, I need to delve into comic spoilers and I don't want to do that. It's ok if you guys hate negan. You're supposed to. And a TV show is going to give you every reason to do so.

The show is loving up things from the comic in execution, like Carl's attack where another poster pointed out He actually was shooting anyone coming near on the fly, looking for Negan, and Negan doesn't reveal himself until Dwight beat the poo poo out of him. Defending him with his comics version isn't really doable when the show makes really dumb changes like that.

While we're on the worst possible discussion to have on the internet, I will say Walking Dead isn't the only show to make stupid changes from the source material. See the completely accidental and unintended straight up rape scene from GoT involving a certain Lannister.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 7, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i love rape discussions

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Eyochigan posted:

Negan on the TV show is different from what I've seen in the comics, and we obviously have not come anywhere near the full presentation of the story. The way it is presented in the comics could go either way, but there's a lot that says he cares a great deal about women

and I loving hate this discussion because in order to prove my point to an audience that watches the TV show, I need to delve into comic spoilers and I don't want to do that. It's ok if you guys hate negan. You're supposed to. And a TV show is going to give you every reason to do so.\

friendly reminder that I am not negan, donald trump, or an MRA. I'm just a goon like you, arguing about a tv show on the internet. any opinions or characters in this post are purely fictional and not to be taken as fact.

edit: yeah I'm that poster. Sah dude.

I'd be totally cool if you did want to post spoilers, it might infact give me a reason to keep watching this trainwreck.

He's 100% rapy on the TV show, no matter how much he's against the idea of other people just directly grabbing then by the pussy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 7, 2016

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

He's 100% rapy on the TV show, no matter how much he's against the idea of other people just directly grabbing then by the pussy.

He does have that vibe and it worries me. I'm hoping he's just a master troll, more on that next week.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

My god it got even worse

Eyochigan posted:

He does have that vibe and it worries me. I'm hoping he's just a master troll, more on that next week.

It's not just a vibe. It's an actual thing. He's a rapist. I can't speak on behalf of the comics because I haven't read them but show Negan is a rapist. It doesn't matter how he was in the comics because this thread is about the show. And it doesn't matter that you're ahead of the show in the comics because there's nothing they could do with Negan's character that would retroactively change the fact that he's a rapist. He doesn't believe this of himself, obviously, but that's what he is.

Can't you just admit it?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Even if he is some great noble guy or whatever in the comic, who cares? This is the TV show thread. In the TV show Negan is a rapist through coercion. It's a fact that isn't open to interpretation. Based on what Negan in the show has said, living on the points system is a fate nobody would want and they'd rather be dead. Being presented with an option of a horrible life/death and a less bad life but you have to compromise your morals to do it is like the textbook definition of coercion, and sex through coercion is factually a form of rape.

If you want to say the comic Negan is a good guy and loves women, fine, but you're coming across like people who say there were good slave owners. No matter how well you treat your slaves you're still not a good person.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Even if he is some great noble guy or whatever in the comic, who cares? This is the TV show thread. In the TV show Negan is a rapist through coercion. It's a fact that isn't open to interpretation. Based on what Negan in the show has said, living on the points system is a fate nobody would want and they'd rather be dead. Being presented with an option of a horrible life/death and a less bad life but you have to compromise your morals to do it is like the textbook definition of coercion, and sex through coercion is factually a form of rape.

If you want to say the comic Negan is a good guy and loves women, fine, but you're coming across like people who say there were good slave owners. No matter how well you treat your slaves you're still not a good person.

Yeah I understand that now. My main hope watching the show lately is that it lives up to what I enjoyed in the comics, because it's what got me so interested in the show to begin with (not just Negan). I heard about Negan from the internet before I watched season 4, and there was a cult following despite how scary of a dude he's supposed to be. I wanted to share some of that excitement but it backfired I guess. Someone is surely going to twist that last sentence around.

I am not convinced that the "go back to husband" option means death or horrible jobs for loved ones. Everyone that thinks Negan is a rapist thinks he will kill them if they leave him. We're not having this argument anymore because we're not having the same discussion and that's ok.

As far as I can tell, it's a bribe or prostitution, not coercion or slavery, because of the context where they actually have an option to leave without punishment. If they have a consequence for leaving Negan, or are forced to be his wife to begin with, that is rape.

:colbert:

edit: Also. Negan is a pimp, and pimps, don't commit suicide.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 7, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Who doesn't everyone wear leather in this zombieland? It's not like zombies have sharp diamond daggers for teeth, they're only human. I'm sure you can't bite through leather.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

John F Bennett posted:

Who doesn't everyone wear leather in this zombieland? It's not like zombies have sharp diamond daggers for teeth, they're only human. I'm sure you can't bite through leather.

They do have power drill fingers though, easily capable of ripping open bodies in a matter of seconds.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

No one gives a poo poo about your Negan!!! comics!!! stuff, because you keep saying things like this

Eyochigan posted:

I am not convinced that the "go back to husband" option means death or horrible jobs for loved ones. Everyone that thinks Negan is a rapist thinks he will kill them if they leave him. We're not having this argument anymore because we're not having the same discussion and that's ok.

and this

Eyochigan posted:

As far as I can tell, it's a bribe or prostitution, not coercion or slavery, because of the context where they actually have an option to leave without punishment. If they have a consequence for leaving Negan, or are forced to be his wife to begin with, that is rape.

even though multiple people have shown you why you're objectively wrong. Poster with the duck avatar seriously just did it and when you scan past that to continue weirdly misinterpreting rape it makes you read like an awfully maladjusted weirdo.

If this was just another "I don't think they're cannibals, guys" bit it would just be funny, but your ideas of consent - as revealed through this discussion - seem to be genuinely hosed up.

Eyochigan posted:

edit: Also. Negan is a pimp, and pimps, don't commit suicide.

Pimps are violent criminals and rapists. Hope this helps.

John F Bennett posted:

Dude, have you seen what they can do to a horse????

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

A horse hide hasn't been tanned, man.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

John F Bennett posted:

A horse hide hasn't been tanned, man.

There was that zombie that was chewing on Daryl's shoe while he was passed out in season 2. Maybe the characters need to start wearing shoes all over their body.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Leather shoes, yes.

People should keep cows for meat, milk and their hides for armor. Also they should probably live on boats in lakes and seas. Only coming on land to milk the aforementioned cows. Those cows should preferably be kept in specifically designed cow boats, though. I mean, it's all pretty straightforward, you know.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Duct Tape seems to work too but this is like Seinfeld where none of the characters learn from their mistakes or try to improve themselves in any way

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

This show is so slowwwww and I find myself fast forwarding through much of it. Yet, here I am watching it weekly unable to stop. That's been my gripe with Neagan. It takes forever for anything to happen while he leans back with his head tilted making threats not threats while others do the same stuff they've always done which is nothing that goes no where except at the cliffhanger mid-season break and finale.

My favorite part was Rick finding that boat and the zombie moat and that was like 30 seconds. I guess what I want is McGuyver set in a zombie apocalypse. I just want to see world exploration, makeshift survival inventions and what not.

Kirkman was interviewed by Neil deGrasse Tyson recently on his Star Talk podcast. Kirkman said he wanted to make a soap opera but with zombies in it so I guess that explains it all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You mean like, where zombies are the main cast, just grunting and staring melodramatically into the camera?

Also, remember when in season 1 when everyone dressed themselves in zombie guts to avoid detection? That was weird, right? How come that's not a thing anymore?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Eyochigan posted:

I'm just a goon like you,

No, because we know what is coercion and rape, and you are really struggling with this.

I guess I should thank you though, I've literally never seen anyone use the "I'm not racist, I love black people!" excuse, but for rape, and with women. :golfclap:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Guys, he read the comics, that means he's much more learned and mature than us and has a better understanding of Things

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

I guess I should thank you though, I've literally never seen anyone use the "I'm not racist, I love black people!" excuse, but for rape, and with women. :golfclap:

Some of my best friends are women.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Negan: Think about it. She’s stuck in a power plant with some dude she barely knows. She looks around her, what does she see? Nothing but a zombie moat. She's thinking “Oh, there’s nowhere for me to run, what am I gonna do, say no?”
Carl: Okay…that seems really dark though.
Negan: No, no, it’s not dark. You’re misunderstanding me, bro.
Carl: I think I am.
Negan: Yeah, you are. ‘Cause if the girl said no, then the answer obviously is no. The thing is that she’s not gonna say no, she’d never say no…because of the implication.
Carl: Now, you said that word “implication” a couple of times. What implication?
Negan: The implication that things might go wrong for her if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for her, but she’s thinking that they will.

Eyochigan: this is known as rape

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 7, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

John F Bennett posted:

Also, remember when in season 1 when everyone dressed themselves in zombie guts to avoid detection? That was weird, right? How come that's not a thing anymore?

They do this on Fear a lot and it's hilarious because they don't even use guts, just a little bit of blood. Turns out it's just as good!

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

moist turtleneck posted:

Negan: Think about it. She’s stuck in a power plant with some dude she barely knows. She looks around her, what does she see? Nothing but a zombie moat. She's thinking “Oh, there’s nowhere for me to run, what am I gonna do, say no?”
Carl: Okay…that seems really dark though.
Negan: No, no, it’s not dark. You’re misunderstanding me, bro.
Carl: I think I am.
Negan: Yeah, you are. ‘Cause if the girl said no, then the answer obviously is no. The thing is that she’s not gonna say no, she’d never say no…because of the implication.
Carl: Now, you said that word “implication” a couple of times. What implication?
Negan: The implication that things might go wrong for her if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for her, but she’s thinking that they will.

:vince:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The first time I saw Eyochigan in this thread, I thought he was a complete dumbass, from bitching about me saying this show is dumb when JDM outright spoiled this season and the next about announcing Negan not dying anytime soon, or to when he actually believed Carl was only 10 or 11, and oh holy gently caress he has made this boring thread about a lovely show into something of pure wonder.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Some people really, really like Negan. I knew a guy in real life that raved about him. We don't talk anymore.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Seriously, the short haired girl that got killed by zombies when Dwight and co were on the run with Daryl last season, who was also Dwight's sister, was a diabetic, and the only way Negan was going to give her insulin to live in his little Hellhole Shangrila was to become his wife. THAT IS RAPE.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

This is easily one of the dumbest things I've seen in the show in a long time. :v: My watching buddy and I were so loving confused the whole time. "Why is he running into the woods? What was that note? Was that Spanish?"

And then later: "What the gently caress? Why was that written in Latin? And why does he know how to read Latin? How many people in backwoods Virginia know how to write in loving Latin?"

No....you see, he took Latin in SCHOOL. Because everyone who took Latin in high school remembers it like two decades later perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kelly posted:

No....you see, he took Latin in SCHOOL. Because everyone who took Latin in high school remembers it like two decades later perfectly.

I think what people are still missing is that the hunter hick in the treestand knew enough latin to write it.

edit: It would have been more fitting of this poo poo show if it had been written in pig latin.