Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Golbez posted:

As a resident of Cedar Rapids, I'm wondering, do we have the most Survivor winners per capita of cities/metro areas with multiple winners? The CR metro area is just 250,000, and we have two winners.

According to Wikipedia, Chris Daugherty (West Jefferson, Ohio)and Danni Boatwright's (Tonganoxie, Kansas) home towns are both under 5000 people so unless they're part of some large city then i think they got you beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

I thought Russell's problem was that he was just a hatable rear end in a top hat no one would ever want to win

Nobody knew Russell was burning their socks. We got to see that, and we got his confessionals. He clearly behaved very differently to peoples' faces, and then they compared notes after getting booted. HvV just had him out of his league with people who actually knew how to play and had his number. Consider that the charm he rode in Samoa worked hook, line, and sinker for such Survivor masterminds as JT Thomas, Danielle DiLorenzo, Rupert Boneham, and Candice Woodcock.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's Jerri's fault for not voting for him imo.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
One difference between Russell and Sarah is that he needlessly antagonized people on their way out, whereas Sarah just preyed on them to the degree that was necessary to win their trust and move onto the next round

Another big difference and an underrated aspect of why Russell Does Not Understand Survivor is that Sarah didn't go to the end with people she obviously couldn't beat

(This is why Tony is probably a better comparison for Sarah's game. Or, on the first point, a less emotionally volatile Dawn?)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Lone Goat posted:

According to Wikipedia, Chris Daugherty (West Jefferson, Ohio)and Danni Boatwright's (Tonganoxie, Kansas) home towns are both under 5000 people so unless they're part of some large city then i think they got you beat.

Which is why I specified multiple winners; it's one thing for a town to have one fluke, but two is more. Than one.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I mean Sarah is an individual. I agree her game has a ton in common with Tony's. It's just shockingly Russellesque for how much I detest him and liked her.

She made somebody give her an idol on their way out. Come on.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
In Australia we just got an ad for our next season which is "coming soon". The last season was really good, on par with the US version production wise, so looking forward to it.

Edit: First look video available here, unsure if it only works in AU: http://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/tv/first-look-at-season-two-of-australian-survivor-37884

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

xelfer posted:

In Australia we just got an ad for our next season which is "coming soon". The last season was really good, on par with the US version production wise, so looking forward to it.

:woop: :woop: :woop:

Someone should tell that site it's season 4, not season 2. The real season 2 of AS (in 2006) was one of the dullest seasons of Survivor ever, but season 3 (last year) was one of the greatest.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just hope production doesn't have any ridiculous twists again.

That final episode was some of the best survivor I've seen though

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I forget who said it on one of Rob's podcasts, but Sarah's game was like Tony and Trish rolled into one, Tony's flipping around combined with Trish's damage control and emotional bonds. Seems about right.

People didn't know Russell burned the socks but I'm pretty sure they knew he was an rear end. I think anyone that spent time around him didn't really like him.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 30, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

xbilkis posted:

One difference between Russell and Sarah is that he needlessly antagonized people on their way out, whereas Sarah just preyed on them to the degree that was necessary to win their trust and move onto the next round

Another big difference and an underrated aspect of why Russell Does Not Understand Survivor is that Sarah didn't go to the end with people she obviously couldn't beat

(This is why Tony is probably a better comparison for Sarah's game. Or, on the first point, a less emotionally volatile Dawn?)

Sarah had no agency really after F7. Cirie got advantaged out, Aubry was a unanimous vote, and then Brad and Troyzan screwed up the F4 vote.

Russell would probably be aiming to get to the end with Hali and Caleb, but he wouldn't make it very far before Michaela destroyed the petty tiny man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"No agency" seems overly critical. She plays her advantage at F6 which is the only play she had to make that round and she may have well been the reason the Aubry vote was unanimous as she was seemingly playing the middle with Tai. Considering how proactively she played most of the game it seems odd to criticize her because she wasn't making unnecessary work for herself the last few rounds when things were playing out right for her. It's not as if she wasn't actively participating just because she wasnt puppet mastering every round.

Which is actually something that I think very much sets her apart for Russell or Tony. Sarah didn't force the game from what we saw. She betrayed a lot of people but she didn't do it as all part of some master plan, she just did it when it made sense. The big Sierra boot wasn't one she seemed to scheme out. Sierra was already on the ropes and being targeted by Andrea and Cirie, and Sarah just took advantage of the situation and made sure it played out in her favor.

A lot of the time Sarah's game plans seemed to actually get ruined by the gameplay of Andrea, Zeke, or Cirie but she was able to adapt and move, which I think is the greatest Survivor skill to have. Players like Russel force the game to fit their plans, which is a big part of all the damage they do to themselves.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 30, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think the F6 boot showed one of the problems with the current way idols are played - people can react to them and play their own advantages if they have them. I think maybe they change it up where you have to play your idol as you vote, and then Jeff can dramatically pull it out of the urn or something. The way they currently do it allows them to maximize drama but I think changing it up could help out the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, idols are there to create TV drama so they're probably not going to pull back on that for "game integrity" or something. I think there's a reasonable chance they look at the mess that happened here and pull back on the "secret powers" because they clearly went over the top with them this season. But to a certain extent I think that was isolated anyway as I got the idea they loaded all those twists and powers in to try and fit the "game changers" theme and give the bigger players more of a chance. Which worked out exactly the opposite so I could see them walking everything back a little.

But like idols are here to stay and their whole purpose is that big dramatic "Actually, Jeff..." moment.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Poque posted:

I think the F6 boot showed one of the problems with the current way idols are played - people can react to them and play their own advantages if they have them. I think maybe they change it up where you have to play your idol as you vote, and then Jeff can dramatically pull it out of the urn or something. The way they currently do it allows them to maximize drama but I think changing it up could help out the game.
That's an interesting idea.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

That's an interesting idea.

They'd have to REALLY enclose the voting area. As it is (as per interviews) contestants stare at the person voting to try and figure out what they're writing down.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Propaganda Machine posted:

They'd have to REALLY enclose the voting area. As it is (as per interviews) contestants stare at the person voting to try and figure out what they're writing down.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Required simultaneous play of idols would be interesting. I was on the "have idols expire at the merge" train, but that works too. I just hope to see some sort of response from production in 35 or 36 that acknowledges that they realized Game Changers went overboard with the idols, twists, and advantages and that scaling back just a bit would be good for the game.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Required simultaneous play of idols would be interesting. I was on the "have idols expire at the merge" train, but that works too. I just hope to see some sort of response from production in 35 or 36 that acknowledges that they realized Game Changers went overboard with the idols, twists, and advantages and that scaling back just a bit would be good for the game.
Yeah idols at the pot is a good as idea. I also think survivor should have a no idol, s1-esque season. But not tell the contestants so around episode 3 of scrambling for idols they realize time is better spent reinforcing their shelter and hiding from animals.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I am pretty strongly anti-idol, but I think doing a no-idol season would probably be kind of anticlimactic (or at least alienating to viewers who are more into the strategic element of the game).

It really shouldn't be that hard to just make idols scarcer and harder to find. Do multi-clue idols, bury them deep enough that people can't find them by chance, bring back Exile Island and just hide them there, whatever. Just don't give me 7 two-minute scenes in a season where someone is talking about how they really need the idol, and they hope they can find the idol, and oh hey here's the idol - this idol is going to be so important to this person's game!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I, too, would like to see idols be better hidden. Hiding stuff during challenges is a great idea, I want to see more innovation like that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, "no idols" wouldn't really have any tangible affects and could easily just result in a boring season where we were lamenting that there was no idol to shake stuff up.

Didn't we just get a season where no idols got played? And the thing if hiding them in challenges was a great innovation.

The problem wasn't the idols themselves, it was all the extra powers and twists. That and the screwy result of 4 idols ending up in the hands of 3 people who all held onto them until F6 where someone else won the regular idol. That's just bad luck and if you had bet on it at the start of the season it would have been a sucker's bet.

But if we get a "legacy idol", "double vote", or "vote steal" next season then riots will be justified.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I had an idea kicking around in my head today...what about some kind of power to make a person vote publicly

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

I had an idea kicking around in my head today...what about some kind of power to make a person vote publicly

This could be a pretty interesting way to blow up someones game.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One could avoid the situation we got if idols expired at different points of the game. Initial pre-merge idols working until merge, rehidden idols working for extra lengths of time based on when they were used and put back into the game etc. It could be a useful mechanic to get people to make moves, if Troyzanning until the last possible moment isn't possible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't care for "blow up someone's game" stuff. Like, its fine if you're using something for your own benefit and it happens to blow up someone's game. Or if you're desperate and come up with a clever way to try and save yourself by blowing up someone's game. But if you just hand someone the power to do it makes it way too easy for it to just be used to ruin a good player's chances. And we just got done with a season where we were all disappointed by twists mindlessly screwing up good players' chances.

Like, that's the fundamental issue with powers. They're great if they land in the right hands. People who are clever enough to do something useful with them and in a bad enough place to do something big with them. But if they end up in the hands of the majority or passive idiots then all bets are off.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Like, that's the fundamental issue with powers. They're great if they land in the right hands. People who are clever enough to do something useful with them and in a bad enough place to do something big with them. But if they end up in the hands of the majority or passive idiots then all bets are off.

Which is precisely why a "use it or lose it" addition could prove useful. Passive idiots will either lose them as the power expires, or have a chance at becoming more than passive idiots by being forced to use them. People who are in generally bad situations are more likely to need to use them sooner rather than later, so there's no real downside there either. While it's certainly an accomplishment to be a good player who doesn't need to use their idol ever, it's boring TV.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Idols with expiration dates is a fine idea, although I think it should be as simple as separate pre-merge and post-merge idols. I think it could lead to some exciting changes in the strategy of the late pre-merge as players are desperate to use their soon-to-be-useless idols. And the obvious benefit is you can put a hard cap of 2 idols active in the post-merge, which should be more than enough.

But really, even though I like that idea and some of the other ideas in this thread, I think the fanbase is really overthinking how to "fix" the season. Two simple changes preserve essentially every good moment of the past 5 seasons or so (since they started doing the "advantages") while removing all the bad moments: (1) Kill advantages related to voting (silly things like steal-a-reward or advantage-in-a-challenge are fine) since they're impossible to strategize around and haven't contributed to any memorable (in a good way) moments, (2) Tweak the idol expiration date so that if N idols can be in the game at once, the last time they can be played is at Final N + 3 so at least 2 people are eligible to receive votes at every Tribal. The gameplay in recent seasons (especially 28, 31, 32, 33) has been really exciting and dynamic, and that has to do entirely with putting together a strong cast and nothing to do with the stupid advantages.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Have the idol just be tai. Then the contestants are never sure if he won't just start crying and flip on them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I absolutely think fans overthink "fixing" seasons. So much of the game is dumb luck and one little difference. This whole game could have been completely different if someone grabbed a different buff or found an idol. What if Michaela doesn't pout and miss her power? What if JT doesn't screw up and tell Brad the plan? What if Cirie read the fine print? What if Zeke doesn't randomly lose his mind? What if Debbie doesn't go to Redemption Island?

There's a million little twists and turns that lead a season to going the way it does. Overthinking it is how Survivor Producers end up with 5 idols at Final 6.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My favorite armchair Survivor idea is to have identical back-to-back seasons. Identical. Start with newbies, play the season out, and replay the season with the same contestants in the same starting tribes with the same "twists" along the way (ie same number of idols, same gimmicks, same swap mechanics at same points in the game etc).

Getting 16-20 people to sign on to play Survivor twice in a row is a big ask and will totally never happen, but I think it would be very cool to see how that goes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

My favorite armchair Survivor idea is to have identical back-to-back seasons. Identical. Start with newbies, play the season out, and replay the season with the same contestants in the same starting tribes with the same "twists" along the way (ie same number of idols, same gimmicks, same swap mechanics at same points in the game etc).

Getting 16-20 people to sign on to play Survivor twice in a row is a big ask and will totally never happen, but I think it would be very cool to see how that goes.
Oh hell yeah! It's even better than simply giving them the script because they'll have these massive emotional reactions to how things went down. I like this.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

all first boots would be fun, with the preface that its only for people who got as far as first boot any time they played. it'd basically be a brand new cast!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gif Probst posted:

all first boots would be fun, with the preface that its only for people who got as far as first boot any time they played. it'd basically be a brand new cast!

Francesca for third time first-boot.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ApplesandOranges posted:

Francesca for third time first-boot.

The queen stays queen

nerox
May 20, 2001

Lampsacus posted:

Oh hell yeah! It's even better than simply giving them the script because they'll have these massive emotional reactions to how things went down. I like this.

Or no one makes Big Moves (tm) cause screwing people over in a season where no one else does won't win you a million dollars on part 1 and get you bounced early on part 2.

Alternatively, someone would try to make themselves the goatiest goat to ever goat and get 2nd place money twice.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

nerox posted:

Or no one makes Big Moves (tm) cause screwing people over in a season where no one else does won't win you a million dollars on part 1 and get you bounced early on part 2.

You'll be mad about having been voted out the first time regardless of how it went down. And fatefully bad First/second/third boots happen all of the time. Seeing people leave or fix benign mistakes like that could be just as good unless the cast is Forrest Gump-level stupid.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
Survivor NZ last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQhVMmmMWxU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Is Survivor NZ any good? I didn't click that video above because I don't want to get spoiled, but I know the early reviews of the first episode or two seemed pretty lukewarm. Has it gotten any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
It's been okay so far. It's playing out like a very vanilla Survivor from about 7 years ago. No crazy shenanigans or huge moves. There's also no hidden idol in play, and they do have Redemption Island. They air two episodes a week and it's been a been a bit weird pacing wise, since one episode is the Redemption comp and Reward challenge, and the next episode is the Immunity challenge and tribal. It also has a reduced budget compared to an American season, so no huge challenges.

• Locked thread