Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Well, it's obvious. If it's making money it's in spite of government inefficiency so it should be privatised to make even more money. If it's not making money then it's because of government inefficiency, so it should be privatised.

Heads you lose (your social security safety net), tails the rich fucks win.

Edit: Speaking of rich fucks, how did no one post the video of Carlos Ghosn's birthday party in Versailles yet (it's from 2014 but it's just resurfaced)? Just look at this tacky poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYhWZ0IYFSg

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well, i won't complain if some Intermittents made some cachetons playing music for them but gently caress me if it's not a pretty good Ridicule LARP.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm just thinking it's no fun if you don't take the 18th century LARP to its logical and historical conclusion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Getting embastilled by the Japanese is an audaciously uchronic element.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Chikimiki posted:

Gotta keep your rich friends happy! Why is why they sold the highways to Vinci & co. and why they'll also sell the money printer that is the French lottery.

selling the lottery? W H Y ? ? ? ?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

dirty lousy tramp posted:

Privatize profits, socialize losses.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The European Union don't like when the state control a too high % of an incredibly profitable company.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Obviously because the government doesn't need any of this tacky "money" stuff to pay for the social safety net the lottery was created to finance in the first place.
Also because gently caress you that's why. If you're poor or a working stiff that is. If you're in the upper 5% : because much love, brah.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the lottery is FREE MONEY, and it can be used in a socially useful way instead of buying a helicopter for a CEO or sitting in a bank account on the cayman islands
I'm baffled

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
super loiseau bros

i'm too tired to explain this poo poo lol

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

the lottery is FREE MONEY, and it can be used in a socially useful way instead of buying a helicopter for a CEO or sitting in a bank account on the cayman islands
I'm baffled

Well, not really free - it's really a tax on being poor & desperate & bad at statistics. Also on the easily addicted that cigarettes and booze didn't nab - then again why not hit them thrice ?
It used to have a kind of a "noblesse oblige" component where rich or middle class folks would buy raffle and lottery tickets by the roll just to put money into the system above and beyond their taxes (and then not collect any of their winnings as the case may be, natch) ; but these days that's really not done any more. So now it's just a system for making money off of working class fools thinking that's how they're going to escape wage slavery.

Still, yes, if we're going to have exploitative money raising schemes, I'd much rather have the money raised go towards... well, just about *anything* besides a private oval office's and his equally cunty shareholders' pockets. Selling it off is absolutely indefensible, from any point of view.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kobal2 posted:

So now it's just a system for making money off of working class fools thinking that's how they're going to escape wage slavery.

How else would they? Seriously... how? I have two undergraduate degrees and a master's, but I haven't worked anything that pays a living wage in almost exactly two years and I doubt that I will ever live again. As is the case with the US education system, I am crippled with student loan debt that I cannot get rid of outside of death itself - I have a better chance of winning 1 in 9,366,819 odds than I do of being financially comfortable by "legit" means. I can't fault anyone for chasing rainbows. The so-called "American Dream" is just that - utter fantasy... it pretends that if one works hard then riches will follow, but it's nothing but exploitation, inherited privilege and stacking the deck. At least the lottery is honest that you have almost no chance and takes a lot less money from you than your employer ever did.

Seraphic Sphere
Oct 26, 2008
France is organising a peace conference while still selling arms to the Saudi-led coalition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfxEf4Me1v4

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Well, not really free - it's really a tax on being poor & desperate & bad at statistics. Also on the easily addicted that cigarettes and booze didn't nab - then again why not hit them thrice ?
It used to have a kind of a "noblesse oblige" component where rich or middle class folks would buy raffle and lottery tickets by the roll just to put money into the system above and beyond their taxes (and then not collect any of their winnings as the case may be, natch) ; but these days that's really not done any more. So now it's just a system for making money off of working class fools thinking that's how they're going to escape wage slavery.

Still, yes, if we're going to have exploitative money raising schemes, I'd much rather have the money raised go towards... well, just about *anything* besides a private oval office's and his equally cunty shareholders' pockets. Selling it off is absolutely indefensible, from any point of view.

Well if you're on the left you could argue that, if the lottery is public and has basically a monopoly on gambling, it may have a less predatory nature than when it is privately owned. Common good etc.

Also :lol: at Macron kissing the Saudi's asses - didn't he also recently tell Germany to not stop selling weapons to them?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chikimiki posted:

Also :lol: at Macron kissing the Saudi's asses - didn't he also recently tell Germany to not stop selling weapons to them?

Yeah, though he did say that if Germany blocked weapon sales to Saudi Arabia, they should be consistent and also block other sales, such as automobiles, because Saudi princes love German cars and if they couldn't get a new Porsche, BMW or Mercedes it'd lower their support for the war.

The fun thing is that while Germany manages to block sales by Airbus or MBDA because they contribute some components so they can block the whole thing, at the same time, German companies use foreign subsidiaries to literally sell bombs to Saudi Arabia. So they block the sale of Meteor air-to-air missiles (not used in Yemen since the Houthi do not have an air force) while selling air-to-ground weapons actually used in Yemen.
https://www.politico.eu/article/italian-stalemate-lets-german-firm-profit-from-saudi-arms-sales/

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

How else would they? Seriously... how?

Invest in guillotine futures.
I dunno, man, I really don't.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kobal2 posted:

Playing the lottery while rich is being bad at statistics.

Playing the lottery while poor can legitimately be your best shot at escaping your fate.

Yay, marginal utility!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Orange Devil posted:

Yay, marginal utility!

I frequently wonder what percentage of people genuinely don't understand this simple concept, and how many do understand but pretend otherwise in order to give more to those who need the least.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

JustJeff88 posted:

I frequently wonder what percentage of people genuinely don't understand this simple concept, and how many do understand but pretend otherwise in order to give more to those who need the least.

It's all the people.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

JustJeff88 posted:

Look it's really simple, if we give more money to those who already have lots of money, we will all be better off.

Said the man with lots of money.

And all the academics and news anchors he paid to nod along nodded along.

And the politicians he paid to give him more of everyone else's money gave him more of everyone else's money.

And all the people, the rich people, the academics and news anchors and politicians they paid, all of them were better off.

Everyone except you.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/JeanHugon3/status/1127535597160210433

https://twitter.com/JeanHugon3/status/1127537170108039168

Très, très cool.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Au total, les partis de droite ont 161 minutes, ceux de gauche en ont 43.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Lol it seems they really want to keep the LREM vs FN dynamic that got them elected in the first place.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Chikimiki posted:

Lol it seems they really want to keep the LREM vs FN dynamic that got them elected in the first place.

"Left vs Right is passé, now it's all about globalism vs nationalism. :viggo:"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Chikimiki posted:

that's the only way for them to stay elected, until the FN inevitably wins sooner or later

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kurtofan posted:

that's the only way for them to stay elected, until the FN inevitably wins sooner or later

Vote for us, we're not the Nazis! Just really comfortable with having some Nazis to compare ourselves to!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

suck my woke dick posted:

Vote for us, we're not the Nazis! Just really comfortable with having some Nazis to compare ourselves to!

Also parroting the Nazis' talking points in a slightly less blatant, more intellectual-sounding way.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

Au total, les partis de droite ont 161 minutes, ceux de gauche en ont 43.

Je sais pas, moi j'trouve ca normal que le FN ait plus de temps de parole à lui tout seul que l'ensemble des partis de gauche. Très normal. Extrême norme, on pourrait dire.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/vivelefeu/status/1127882564293812224

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
hey remind me who owns cnews and had the newsroom replaced by scabs again

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ElNarez posted:

hey remind me who owns cnews and had the newsroom replaced by scabs again
Canal+ Group (Vivendi). if being owned by Boloré wasn't enough, Vivendi was originaly the old Compagnie générale des eaux founded in 1853 by Napoleon III.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Vivendi were also the group that tried to take over ubisoft, maybe non french people heard of that

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
C dla merde

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lol j'ai vu ça. Je veux pas rire du malheur des autres, maiz je suis content que Balkany soit dans la merde

https://twitter.com/valerieCG/status/1128022501685125120?s=19

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Unrelated by I wonder how long Le Fouquets will sport their new Fallout Chic style; I hope it becomes a trend

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/franceculture/status/1128365834353745920?s=19

It's cool how the public media is openly repeating far-right drivel now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
En parlant de connards d'extreme droite, notre Marine Nationale reprends des memes fachos avec des élus nazis

https://twitter.com/VahurKoorits/status/1128239897192673280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/IllumiReptilien/status/1128683721060646913?s=19

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Je sais pas si c'est le geste des plongeurs mais je sens qu'on va bientôt toucher le fond