Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
One of the biggest positives about the Jays in recent years is that they have done an amazing job and picking which pitchers to sign or trade. They have built this rotation from the ground up, and they moved away from Robbie Ray after his Cy Young season only to sign Gausman to a similar contract. They also moved on from Stripling and Matz, who put up good seasons. They traded a lot of prospect capital for Berrios, which looks like an absolute steal now, and signed Kikuchi and Bassitt, which have really worked out. Their bullpen also looks strong.

This all withstanding how their young Cy Young finalist really started struggling and is back in the minors.

If some of that magic could work for the offense, this would be a stronger team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

tadashi posted:

I can't imagine it would be financially good for a team in Chicago to move to a relatively tiny media market.

Nashville has a stupid amount of money, and Tennessee doesn't have state income tax.

An rear end in a top hat billionaire and his cadre of money ghouls would love being in Tennessee.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Twin Cinema posted:

If some of that magic could work for the offense, this would be a stronger team!

Ya no kidding.

I watched some of the game last night and I think their 13-10 record is pretty fair. They aren't great but so far aren't terrible. Just really meh.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Captain Log posted:

Nashville has a stupid amount of money, and Tennessee doesn't have state income tax.

An rear end in a top hat billionaire and his cadre of money ghouls would love being in Tennessee.

White Sox can’t get revenue sharing in Chicago either.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Poque posted:

White Sox can’t get revenue sharing in Chicago either.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean? I get lost in some of the money poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Captain Log posted:

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean? I get lost in some of the money poo poo.

MLB teams put in 48% of their local revenues into a big pool and then it gets redistributed to the teams with each team getting 3.3%. It basically works in that the larger market teams with larger revenues lose some money and smaller market teams gain some money. I'm not sure how that's different for the White Sox though. I think they actually gain money from revenue sharing since they tend to have a much worse TV deal, and way lower attendance than the Cubs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

MLB teams put in 48% of their local revenues into a big pool and then it gets redistributed to the teams with each team getting 3.3%. It basically works in that the larger market teams with larger revenues lose some money and smaller market teams gain some money. I'm not sure how that's different for the White Sox though. I think they actually gain money from revenue sharing since they tend to have a much worse TV deal, and way lower attendance than the Cubs.

Large market teams can't earn from revenue sharing. There's a table in the CBA called Revenue Sharing Market Score and any team that scores over 100 (NYY, NYM, LAA, LAD, CHI, CWS, TOR, OAK, SF, WSH, PHI, BOS, though Oakland currently has a waiver) is ineligible for distribution. The determining factors of the table are not shared in the CBA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

though Oakland currently has a waiver

lmao

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

It's loving horseshit lol. But I'm sure the pre-waiver years are a large contributing factor in wanting to move (along with not wanting to own a baseball team at all)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The extra oomph by the ump in calling this out just adds insult to injury.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1782552663541834071

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jones doesn’t even break stride walking off the mound. 🥶

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
OK Jose Abreu is worse than Gleyber Torres

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MERVERT ALERT
https://x.com/TommyBirch/status/1782788929432834427

E: wezNASTY also coming up, not yet sure who is headed to IL/back to Iowa

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I'M MERVIN', JERRY! I'M A FULL-BLOWN MERVERT

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Poque posted:

It's loving horseshit lol. But I'm sure the pre-waiver years are a large contributing factor in wanting to move (along with not wanting to own a baseball team at all)

Fisher and Kaval are now, whenever they're forced to actually talk to people, basically openly admitting that the business model is to stay on revenue sharing forever.

The waiver was also set to expire at the beginning of this year if Fisher didn't have a deal for a new stadium in place, hence the sudden scramble to make it look like there's a binding deal in Las Vegas akin to copying an essay off the internet the night before it's due, after decades of other similarly phantom plans to "move" to San Jose or other sites in Alameda County (and, as is increasingly obvious, never negotiating in good faith with Oakland. Another thing galvanizing the sudden relocation plan is Oakland actually having a waterfront site ready to go as of last March. But Oakland, like mentioned above, not counting as a "small" market for revenue sharing purposes prompted a major case of cold feet, with Fisher running away from what he officially claimed to want when it was clear Oakland was actually going to give it to him. Probably also because post COVID he can no longer actually afford it. Especially cannot afford all the extra surrounding real estate development Fisher demanded Oakland include in his new stadium [while making no such comparable demand of Fremont/San Jose/Las Vegas/Salt Lake City/Sacramento/Olympus Mons/Wherever, another hint to the lack of good faith negotiation].

The simplest, least embarrassing situation for all parties involved with the A's remains, as it has for 20 years, to simply let current Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob (who outbid Fisher & Wolff for the A's the last time they were up for sale 20 years ago but LOL Bud Selig) buy the team and build in Oakland. But the A's remain not for sale

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bregor posted:

:yeah:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

MERVERT ALERT
https://x.com/TommyBirch/status/1782788929432834427

E: wezNASTY also coming up, not yet sure who is headed to IL/back to Iowa

:sickos:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I'm wondering if Ben Brown is back to Iowa to get stretched out again since WezNASTY can handle the piggyback/long relief role.

As for Mervis, I'm guessing they move Happ to the IL :smith: They've had Canario and Wisdom in the OF enough that I think they can get by with Belli, Tauchman, and one of those guys for another week.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
meanwhile, after being almost bad enough to threaten the Cleveland Spiders last year the A's are actually winning some games.

I guess the traditional "Major League" gambit backfired last year with a team so bad the new city stopped wanting them, now Fisher's clearly trying to inverse it by fielding a team just the right kind of mid to give the new market hope while keeping the current one away. Let's see if he is shrewd and competent enough to thread this needle (he isn't).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I don't care about that loser Fisher, it's loving Mervin' Time

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
please banish Kyle to the IL.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

I don't care about that loser Fisher, it's loving Mervin' Time

we could all use a little of the palate cleanser that is Mervin' Time, to be honest.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Large market teams can't earn from revenue sharing. There's a table in the CBA called Revenue Sharing Market Score and any team that scores over 100 (NYY, NYM, LAA, LAD, CHI, CWS, TOR, OAK, SF, WSH, PHI, BOS, though Oakland currently has a waiver) is ineligible for distribution. The determining factors of the table are not shared in the CBA.

Houston is the 4th largest city in the country and they don't have to revenue share? :argh:

Now I understand why Oakland is doing everything they can to move out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I like to merve it merve it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mister Perky posted:

meanwhile, after being almost bad enough to threaten the Cleveland Spiders last year the A's are actually winning some games.

I guess the traditional "Major League" gambit backfired last year with a team so bad the new city stopped wanting them, now Fisher's clearly trying to inverse it by fielding a team just the right kind of mid to give the new market hope while keeping the current one away. Let's see if he is shrewd and competent enough to thread this needle (he isn't).

he's fielding basically the same team, it's just the guys who were really green last year are starting to get their footing and put it together now and then. everyone will get traded away though so it's whatever

the real news is it's FULL BLOWN MERVERSION, EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK MERVERTS ARE MERVIN'

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 23, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I walk down the street, nodding to all the people who are also Merving

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hell yeah it's time to mash with my fellow merverts.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
how about....Wesneski as closer????

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Houston is the 4th largest city in the country and they don't have to revenue share? :argh:

Now I understand why Oakland is doing everything they can to move out.

Texas/Dallas too

Did the entire state get an exemption?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

how about....Wesneski as closer????

Probably do better than Adbert.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Forrest on Fire posted:

They're not actually going to move unless Jerry sells the team so if they do end up in Nashville/Montreal/insert fantasy destination, they won't have the same owner loving them over.

Even when they're good I can't imagine a city clamoring for the Chicago White Sox.

The whole reason Reinsdorf is trying to get a gently caress-ton of public financing to build a new mallpark in the South Loop is that his children have made it explicitly clear that they have no interest in owning and operating a baseball team, so the old man is trying to get a new park to drive up the team's value so it can be sold for a premium.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow imagine how bad a parent you have to be that your kids don't want to take over the family baseball team, just incredible

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They have the Bulls which are an infinite money making machine that consistently tops the league for attendance even when they're total dogshit, and comes with way more prestige than the White Sox do. Not all that surprising "dump our bad baseball team for a wad of cash and then milk the Bulls" is the assumed plan from his heirs.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

They have the Bulls which are an infinite money making machine that consistently tops the league for attendance even when they're total dogshit, and comes with way more prestige than the White Sox do. Not all that surprising "dump our bad baseball team for a wad of cash and then milk the Bulls" is the assumed plan from his heirs.

The Oakland White Sox: the outcome nobody wanted

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Sydin posted:

milk the Bulls

I see you fell for that trick on the farm too.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

lol gently caress

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I was afraid to really look at how bad Jose Abreu has been this year, but I think the number that will resonate with most Astros fans is that 2023 Martin Maldonado was 300% better than 2024 Jose Abreu.

(His BA and OPS are about 2.75x better, but since Maldy, despite a noticeable decline, could still play league average defense instead of being literally the worst at his position, I'm giving him the full 3x).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jose will hit 4 dingers at Wrigley this week