Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the image in the second post?
A man's face
Butterfly
A koi
A dog
A small boat floating in a lake
Funyarinpa
View Results

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Argue posted:

How does _that_ part play out?

I don't know why we're being vague about 999 in the Zero Time Dilemma thread, but it's a different puzzle entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There could be people new to the series picking it up on Steam, to be fair. :v:

And yeah. It's a totally different puzzle.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The realization of the nature of the 2nd screen in 999 is like, the highest part of the series and it's not even remotely close so I feel like that is an issue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It tries to replicate it with switches between Novel mode and ADV mode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah I was being vague because the collection just came out on Steam this week. So what puzzle is it?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

From the VLR LP thread - again, spoil tags just in case :v:

Freaksaus posted:

It wasn't a very good puzzle in my opinion, but then death sudoku was also kinf of a weird way to end the game. Here's a screenshot I took from the disccusion pages to show what it looks like:

You can swap the characters from the bottom row with the characters from the grid by clicking on them, the blue numbers only show up after pressing hint and you're supposed to make them all 9s.

As for the screen switching, while I can see why they went with the screen switching like this, specifically calling it AKANE VISION in the top right kind of ruins the moment for me. Does anyone know how this was handled in the iphone version?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Eh, the screen thing never seemed like a real big deal to me. The stuff that was actually going on with the timeline was way more interesting.

I'll do it, I'll buy the nonary games

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sudoku is cool

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dezinus posted:

Eh, the screen thing never seemed like a real big deal to me. The stuff that was actually going on with the timeline was way more interesting.
It's a pretty awesome and original reveal though.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

999's twist is one of the most creative and meta I've ever seen in any medium, imo.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Completely agreed.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Extra Tasty posted:

999's twist is one of the most creative and meta I've ever seen in any medium, imo.

This. It's a shame that it didn't seem to make the cut for the remake considering how important it really is to the overall story of that game

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

This. It's a shame that it didn't seem to make the cut for the remake considering how important it really is to the overall story of that game
I'd say 90% of it is still there? They did the best job they could, given the different medium. Spoilers to protect the people who only realised it was a trilogy after playing ZTD, since you know they exist:

The player is still Akane and Junpei at once. There are still two screens, one with narration representing Akane's vision, one with just dialog and Junpei's thoughts representing Junpei's vision. You still solve the final puzzle as Junpei in Junpei's vision.

The main difference is that rather than the two screens being displayed at once there's a button to switch between them at any time. A few key scenes force the player into one mode or the other. Most players will probably pick one and play most of the game in it; that works fine, though a few scenes - like Junpei cheating when they vote for rooms - are harder to follow in the dialogue-only view. Naturally since you no longer have one screen above the other there's no reason for the game to turn upside down any more.

Also for some reason the final puzzle isn't a Sudoku any more. I don't really get why not, since Sudoku would still have worked fine with these changes. Maybe they realised the fad's been dead so long that everyone has forgotten how to do them? Or maybe the morphogenetic field told them they should steer clear of any mechanics that are used in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Who knows.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 3, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been looking at some gameplay footage and I actually really like the compromise. 999 was a game that was way too wordy for its own good with the flowery descriptions of everything, and playing in "adventure mode" most of the time will just remove all such narration and stick to the important bits. Most of the narration describes things you can plainly see anyway. You'll miss some stuff like the comically food-related corpse descriptions but I think the game's probably way better for it overall.

Plus, if you really want to, all the narration is still there for you to peruse. Some new players will probably check out some scenes they already saw from the other perspective on one of the many mandatory repeats of scenes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Plus, if you really want to, all the narration is still there for you to peruse. Some new players will probably check out some scenes they already saw from the other perspective on one of the many mandatory repeats of scenes.

Actually, you don't really have to repeat anything. The Nonary version of 999 added the flowchart.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Do puzzles auto-finish if you open the escape safe before the gold file safe in VLR?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

snoremac posted:

Do puzzles auto-finish if you open the escape safe before the gold file safe in VLR?

One of them does - offhand I believe it's the crew quarters - but the rest do not.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hello! I have an unspoiled friend who can't figure out what to do next and is pretty well stuck. Can you help out?

Any ideas? I can pass them along. Thank you in advance!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

needs to see all the executions

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

needs to see all the executions

Mm it's just like old times

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
im just gonna emptyquote myself here

Luna Was Here posted:

Things to add to OP:
:kingsley::Help, I don't know what to do next!
Do any of the following:
Watch all execution scenes(the little bubbles in the top left of the global flowchart)
Tell Eric the Truth
Force Quit Boxes
Russian Roulette
Roll the 1's

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

AweStriker posted:

One of them does - offhand I believe it's the crew quarters - but the rest do not.

Okay, thanks. Might just always do the file first to be sure.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Tell Eric the truth" is legit one of my favorite puzzles in the series.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Raxivace posted:

Really? I hated that one, personally. But then I hate pretty much everything about Eric so :shrug:

I bought ZTD this past weekend on the sale and powered through the whole thing this week. My thoughts (contains musings on major plot events):

On the whole, it wasn't totally awful, but it was definitely a worse experience than the prior games. I found the puzzles mostly engaging and not too frustrating, and some of the decision games were interesting choices. The one in the incinerator room was my favorite: actively pull the trigger and potentially kill Sigma, or passively let Phi die? Full voice acting and animation was definitely a plus.

Now for the negatives. Bear in mind that I'm a big fan of VLR and was looking forward to how this game wrapped up the series.

First, I HATED the repetitive gore scenes. I'm not a big fan of gore in general, and this game forces you to watch three separate head explosion scenes, and three separate acid melting scenes. I actually tabbed out and muted them after the first ones.

Phi's origin is incredibly stupid. That's about all that needs to be said there. Not to mention implied death by starvation of two newborns who don't transport.

They spend like 10 minutes talking about applying the many-worlds interpretation to Back to the Future.

Many of the decision games were lazy. Press the button and die, or don't do that! The one with 8 containers of antidote could have been a neat puzzle, but in my case nobody had the tongue numbness so they all seemed like idiots when they couldn't figure out the answer right away. I also had an issue with the Monty Hall problem - I picked box 9 the first time, which turned out to be right, so when I did the "correct" thing and switched, I got a game over. I know it's only a 1 in 10 chance of happening, but it feels like the sort of thing that shouldn't happen in this kind of game. Otherwise a player who doesn't know the puzzle could get the wrong idea and get stuck on it.

SHIFTer is a stupid word. Just say esper.

The new characters, except Carlos, were all unlikable (I don't count Diana as she was basically a carbon copy of Luna, which was the point). They even made Junpei a jerk just so there would be conflict on their team.

The fact that it's almost required to look up how to get past certain roadblocks is pretty bad for a modern puzzle game. I can't just go back and vote for the other team, I have to go to multiple histories and change all their results? That's intuitive.

I also managed to break one puzzle. In the locker room, apparently the code to one of the locks is on the underside of the grate. I closed the grate soon after I opened it without noticing this, and it would not re-open. Eventually after checking everywhere multiple times over I just looked up the code online.

Seriously, gently caress Eric.

Some (what I assume to be) plot holes or otherwise unanswered questions. Akane made Junpei forget the events of the game so he'd go looking for her and eventually become the Tenmyoji of VLR, but did she give herself memory loss drugs too? If not, why didn't she know what happened in the shelter ahead of time? Why did Mira kill Junpei? Why did Zero have her as an accomplice, when he has all those robots? And why did he kill Gab?

Mind jacking.

All of the puzzles were solved by the time I was 60% through the game, so the rest of the game was spent on things like watching Sigma and Diana be bored for 10 months, or watching Eric be an insufferable rear end in a top hat while nobody makes any effort to take away his shotgun. The other two games at least had one final puzzle section near the end; this one gives you a choice to click the escape button or just die.

Finally, it just didn't really feel satisfying. 999 and VLR introduced some really neat ideas, but I didn't feel like they paid off well. I'm not sure how to articulate it - just all around, Zero's plan, the revelations, the reason for Radical-6, it all just feels bad.

Life is unfair, I think.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Phelddagrif posted:

Some (what I assume to be) plot holes or otherwise unanswered questions. Akane made Junpei forget the events of the game so he'd go looking for her and eventually become the Tenmyoji of VLR, but did she give herself memory loss drugs too? If not, why didn't she know what happened in the shelter ahead of time?

Certain ending/VLR spoilers maybe?
Any Akane who makes it to the VLR route has no idea what the *real* solution which will avoid VLR is, so I guess it doesn't really matter whether or not she erases her own memory. She does need to plan so that it's set up in exactly the same way, however, which necessitates her remembering the details. She never sent herself back from the VLR future, so she wouldn't know what happened in the shelter at all in the past before it actually happens.

Time travel's a bitch.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Phelddagrif posted:

The fact that it's almost required to look up how to get past certain roadblocks is pretty bad for a modern puzzle game. I can't just go back and vote for the other team, I have to go to multiple histories and change all their results? That's intuitive.

I think I would've liked that idea more if they had followed through on it more consistently. Like don't let you access any timelines besides the acid-button one until you see the relevant execution. Then it would be clear that you have to make those executions happen to work your way through the full flowchart. I know I was confused for a bit on my first run when I made sure everyone played nice so nobody died, but then all these fragments opened up from timelines where people had been mean!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hammer Bro. posted:

Just finished this after a long hiatus, and I had the most delightful misinterpretation during part of the endgame spoilers:

Sean knows the identity of Zero, and when you enter his name Sean points directly at the screen and the camera gets funny. For a moment there I thought that they were trying to imply that I, the operator of the 3DS, was Zero.

"That's a tough sell," I thought, "and kind of disappointing. I was really hoping the dog would play some mind-blowing role--"

Then the first person camera starts to unfold upward and I'm like,

"Holy poo poo it is the dog I don't know how they're going to explain it but I was right it was Gab all along!"

I'm still down with the actual ending, but I think I like my version better. Minus all the continuity and stuff.

Oh boy, an excuse to bring up my favorite text from the game.

HOW WOULD A DOG DO IT?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Phelddagrif posted:

Really? I hated that one, personally. But then I hate pretty much everything about Eric so :shrug:
I think the way it tricks players into not trying the obvious answer just because of how we expect video games to function is wonderful.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Eric is coolio

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Which is "Tell Eric the truth" again?

And yeah Eric sucks for being so mean to Sean.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

irlZaphod posted:

Which is "Tell Eric the truth" again?
When he points the gun at Sean and asks him who killed Mira.

The answer was "I don't know".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah right after I posted I figured that's probably what it was. :v:

ZTD was a little disappointing but it still had some really great moments in it. One or two of the puzzles are complete bullshit though (I'm looking at you, Transporter Room).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the locker room puzzle fucks me up and it turns out to be something inane. looking at the drain with the lights off

999 had the best puzzles

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

(I'm looking at you, Transporter Room).

Since I somewhat kinda know what I'm doing when it comes to number systems I actually loved transporter room. I did have to look up the final bit because I got confused about what exactly needed converting to what but it was cool that you could totally solve the puzzle with just pen n' paper and input the answer.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I was stuck in that room for the longest time because I couldn't figure out I needed to click on the transporter to put in the final number sequence I had

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Amppelix posted:

Since I somewhat kinda know what I'm doing when it comes to number systems I actually loved transporter room. I did have to look up the final bit because I got confused about what exactly needed converting to what but it was cool that you could totally solve the puzzle with just pen n' paper and input the answer.

Same. I loved it so much.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm enjoying VLR overall but it stinks how many times you have to rewatch unskippable scenes due to slight script variations, such as who went through which door. It's made worse by the fact that the story can pivot into new territory at any moment, so you can't just absent-mindedly tap A through it all.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

snoremac posted:

I'm enjoying VLR overall but it stinks how many times you have to rewatch unskippable scenes due to slight script variations, such as who went through which door. It's made worse by the fact that the story can pivot into new territory at any moment, so you can't just absent-mindedly tap A through it all.

I dunno how the PC release handled it, but on Vita you could tap the square button twice to skip through text you've seen before and it'd only stop when text you haven't seen appears.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I dunno how the PC release handled it, but on Vita you could tap the square button twice to skip through text you've seen before and it'd only stop when text you haven't seen appears.

They specified "unskippable scenes due to slight script variations", so the skip button doesn't work in those instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Amppelix posted:

Yeah I dunno, I think I just became a bit impatient with it and ended up looking up the solution. :sigh:

• Locked thread