Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Decrepus posted:

D_Smart what do you think about the financial success of Day Z (a content-less tech demo sandbox)? There are clearly a lot of similarities, in the game not the development. Don't you think despite how terrible Star Citizen is that there is such a huge vastness of high-functioning autists that they can support it?

(Under the assumption they lost 75% of their useless employees)

Day Z didn't get $100m up front to build a Crysis mod.

I don't believe - for one second - that any version of Star Citizen will exist, once RSI collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3wfn6w/and_the_blowup_begins/cxxg2sx

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You do realize that every time you post about how you "predicted" something and then link back to the same content it makes you look less credible, right? Repeating the same thing over and over again, especially when there's no visible evidence of you following up on all of those threats, does nothing but expose you to ridicule.

That's only a problem for people who can't tell the difference between a prediction and threats of legal action. The two are in fact different and mutually exclusive.

The point of my point this particular missive is that it's not new and because they're doing precisely as predicted. That's the point I was making. Fine, I'll stop reminding you all then. Which is great, cuz then I get to post less.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Talking about Star Citizen a lot in a negative way=crazy and needs help.

Talking about Star Citizen a lot in a positive way=passionate and valuable member of the community.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

Gotta agree with Beer here, Derek. And remember, he's a logical, reasonable voice within this chaos who can provide genuine pros and cons related to all things Star Citizen.

A few months back you were forecasting some pretty significant concerns involving CIG's budget, spending, firings, moves, etc. I genuinely believed that you were going to file suit to attempt discovery on their financials, and possible fraud/employee abuse.

But now you don't even mention it anymore. You just keep saying "It's going to be glorious!"

For your sake, I do hope so. Because for a while there you were actually a relevant and believable protagonist against the scum at CIG. Your window to remain such is rapidly closing...

All of the above ended up being exactly as I said it would. Not sure which ones you missed.

Legal action is not something you do over night and I'm not on anyone's timetable but the law's.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why arent we freeing kimsemus yet

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

5/5
Anime with burg

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eonwe posted:

why arent we freeing kimsemus yet

D_Smart posted:

Legal action is not something you do over night and I'm not on anyone's timetable but the law's.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KiddieGrinder posted:

And don't forget funding Sandi's big city Hollywood dreams.

dont worry, she's only acting during the weekends. you know, like all those other weekend only actors

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amarcarts posted:

The major thing people are not talking about at all is the lack of persistence. It's one thing to have a functional tech demo proving the network/fidelity technology can work, which they technically don't have yet. People can just suicide and spawn infinite assets without having to worry about losing items. People are saying this is a pre-alpha which is fine, but what is it a pre-alpha for? I'd argue that they are still in the pre-alpha for the tech demo, as in they don't actually have a proof-of-concept for the game yet. They are still in pre-production for the actual final game.

They don't have NPCs
They don't have a complete solar system
They don't have capital ships
They don't have meaningful quest lines
They don't have exploration
They don't have an economy
They don't have territorial functions
They don't have clans
They don't have an in-game map - (This is a lot bigger deal than most people realize)
They don't have distance travel
They don't have crafting
They don't have items/equipment/inventory management
They don't have ship customization outside of the hangar
They don't have planets
and on and on and on...

The funny thing is that by having an early access model where literally their entire final playerbase is playing the game all throughout production, the actual release will be meaningless because everyone will have chewed through all the content thoroughly every step of the way. They'll get a boost of interest with Squadron 42 but that'll basically be like if Blizzard spent tens of millions of dollars on a couple of quest lines in the Barrens.

The thing is that yeah there is a market for space sims but they accidentally captured all of it too early by promising more than they could deliver. Tell me how you're going to bring in the average Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo player who are used to highly refined competitive play systems with matchmaking. Tell me how you're going to bring in the average RPG player used to dynamic NPC interactions and meaningful quest lines. Tell me how you're going to bring people over from EVE online where they have a truly player driven meta experience.

I really don't think they thought this through.

They didn't need to think it through at all once it because a money grab.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

All of the above ended up being exactly as I said it would. Not sure which ones you missed.

When is the complaint being filed, and which jurisdiction, TIA.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
my question is

does kimsemus even want freedom

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my question is

what man doesn't

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyLoon posted:

For those with shorter memories (read: most people) and who don't hate his guts irrationally already, sure. But some of us have longer memories as to exactly what he had said at one point or another and yeah...DS, I hate to say it but sometimes the way you talk you sound like you're trying to hype us up for this in the same way CR tries to hype people for his space .jpegs.

That's on you. I write blogs. You don't have to read them. I write commentary on what's going on with this farce. You don't have to read them. I write because I want to. Not because I want points or because I want to "belong". There is a very good reason why I'm fiercely independent.

Follow me or don't; I'm still going to march into war, regardless. Butt naked if I have to. You can't put a price tag on crazy.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

D_Smart posted:

Butt naked if I have to. You can't put a price tag on crazy.

:five: goldmine the thread, I think we're done here.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my question is

Is a man not entitled to freedom, friend?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

Is a man not entitled to freedom, friend?

Hi everyone!

Another automated response for you guys I am loathe to say.

We're still struggling with a severe influx of service requests and are working as hard as we can to get to your ticket.

Once again, you are not forgotten and we will answer your ticket as quickly as it is possible without compromising the level of quality service you are used to from us.

The whole team very much appreciates how patient and understanding you have been.

Regards
Patrick

Customer Service Manager & Lead Moderator
Cloud Imperium Games

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Stanko-Prussian posted:

this is some real dumb south park middle way horseshit, honestly. i don't even think smart has mentioned the suit for a while except in response to people asking after it. lawsuits are a much more explored and documented thing than 100 million dollar spacegames, so it's not really blind belief to say "just wait and see and have faith", it's building a house of cards and you don't even breathe on it at this point.

if it is going ahead, and i think it is, right now, it is at the claim/counterclaim pigeonshoot of documentation stage where one party throws up a grievance and the other party tries to shoot it down. court is where you end up when there's no option left but to end up in court

e: space court, obviously

Indeed. And for someone who has been involved in several lawsuits and who has experience with them, know how they work, the pitfalls etc, I've already said everything that I can in a public forum. There's that point when attorneys tells you "It's Go! time. STFU".

I specifically put everything I legally could, in the public domain because there is a very good chance that during any lawsuit, I won't be able to do any of that. Even if a pleading ends up getting past the judge, they could file a motion to get it sealed, robbing me of any delight in reveling in it. And fighting such motions, costs money. Then you have to decide if the need to make it public, is about ego or what's right and just. Would I spend the $5K in legal bills to explain to a judge why something shouldn't be sealed, only to get the judge deny the motion? Or just plow onward to the end game where it all gets shot to poo poo anyway?

Make no mistake, there is going to be legal action over this mess. Whether it's by me, AG, others etc, it will happen. What form it will take, is what's up for debate. Either way, the end result of any such suit, is going to hinge on what happened to all this money (nobody gives a poo poo about a lovely game) and was there fraud involved.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 13, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

The whole team very much appreciates how patient and understanding you have been.
Was a photo of the couch stream session attached?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Who else is excited for the new Sierra game Space Court. We should crowdfund it.

Favonius
Nov 28, 2014

kordansk posted:

Who else is excited for the new Sierra game Space Court. We should crowdfund it.

Can a get a nice .jpeg with my pledge?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Was a photo of the couch stream session attached?

Heh, it's a copy/paste. I have nothing left except a single basic game package that I don't want refunded as I want the full Star Citizen experience.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I support Kimsemus's cause.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

:eyepop:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I must have missed something important. What happened to Kimsemus?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...d-find-retrieve

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Who the gently caress is Kimsemus is it some nerd.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I think I know where a huge chunk of the Star Shitizen budget is going...

Keeping Ben and his whale wife alive.

All they would have to do to dramatically lose weight is occasionally gently caress, wipe their asses, and eat only 3 meals a day but instead all the backer money is going into stock bottles of Metformine and mini-fridges full of Novolin.

The dude is so fat he would literally rather stab himself with needles and inject diabetes meds all day instead of stand up and walk around a room.

I weep for the pharmacy that has to fill his 18+ medications. I can almost guarantee there's a special little spot of shelf space reserved for Ben's medications since the drug bag is so loving fat that it can't be filed with other people's meds.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

grimcreaper posted:

I must have missed something important. What happened to Kimsemus?

Kicked out of Goonrathi for not being a pedophile apologist.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/303967/suicide-animations

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
As predicted, my blog, CIG will never 64bit Crysis refund has all been done before in my game (Link to game [haha sue you])

I'm still loving this thread/the SC train wreck though.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:perfect:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk7o84MZPo

:chanpop: :captainpop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

To me, it doesn't matter. Lawsuits take a long time, it could be like two years before it even sees a court and by that time it might not even be relevant anymore. CIG can just delay, his lawyers could recommend that it might not be worth it to go to court, matters might have changed, CIG might settle out of court with a non-disclosure agreement, etc.

If there is a lawsuit going on, DS can't talk about it because discovery is ongoing and shutting up is basically legal tactics 101. It might happen, it might never happen. But lawsuits like these happen all the time, where people spend money investigating legal action and then just drop it because it isn't worth it or the outcome is unfavorable. I don't doubt DS has paid people to look into it though, even if it never goes to court or we never hear about it again.

Precisely.

And I've already stated this for the record - and in public (where croberts & go get to cite it) - I'm already $100K in retainers to no less than three law firms. And that's even less than the $250K I forked out for each of the lawsuits I was involved in these past years. I've posted links to some of those (and some of the bills) before.

Which is why I smirk at morons who think they're God's gift to mankind because they happened to invest $30K on vaporware. And so they have carte blanche to abuse people, harass, behave badly etc.

I do this specifically because they made it about me, singled me out - and tried to make me look like a fool.

I do this because I know with 100% certainty, that I am right about this project. And I have mountains of evidence, complete with credible statements (all of which will end up in depositions taken under oath) to back up my claims.

Anyone who thinks I'm doing this for them, is misguided. And a fool. If anyone benefits from whatever comes from this, it will be just a side effect of why I'm doing this. Which is precisely why, on my own time and my own dime, I have people helping others and guiding them on how to get a refund, what their rights are, who to complain to etc.

There is a much bigger picture at play here.

The question people should be asking is why, after two months, they haven't sued The Escapist (who they threatened, but never threatened me with that) yet. Let alone me. It's not like they have that much stuff to collect when it's already out there.

Fact is, the minute those idiots threaten me with any lawsuit, one of my attorneys is ready to march into court, motion to compel in hand. Then they're hosed and have to sue me or else.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

dont worry, she's only acting during the weekends. you know, like all those other weekend only actors
Yes- Sandi has made it a term of her contract that any TV series or feature film she stars in can only shoot on Saturdays and Sundays.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 12, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Regardless of whether his lawsuit in ongoing or not, bringing up how you predicted everything and posting a link to a blog that anyone who cares has already read does nothing but encourage mockery and disdain.

Good point.

But I'd like to point out that we're on SA; where mockery and disdain can erupt just for something as simple as posting a recipe for chicken broth. So there is that. Let's keep it in context, shall we? :)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
kimesumus violated the fishing pact and DBRB got him kicked out of star citizen goon guild

moral of the story: respect the fishing pact

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

kimesumus violated the fishing pact and DBRB got him kicked out of star citizen goon guild

moral of the story: respect the fishing pact

Also from EVE Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm curious to see how Kimsemus space court goes in this round 100 or so.

• Locked thread