Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ChesterJT posted:

Braaaaaaaaaaaake, Braaaaaaaaaaaaake

I didn't want to let you go unacknowledged. I actually heard all of it in my head, including this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm typing this post on a manual typewriter

I'm slightly younger but my highschool "keyboarding" (typing) class was on some single-line "word processors" that were like a manual typewriter crossed with a pocket calculator

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yeah, same here. Only the cool kids with straight A's were allowed to type on the 3 IBM Selectrics we had.

My dad taught keyboarding back when they had electric typewriters. By the time I was in middle school, he had a lab of Windows 3.1 machines running whatever WordPerfect was current back then.

He got a job offer at another school. They were still using electric typewriters. Not even Selectrics, but freaking clack-clack mechanical typewriters.

He turned that job down.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Staplerfahrer Klaus tryna get it on

https://i.imgur.com/j5Q4ukl.mp4

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Wall Balls posted:

Staplerfahrer Klaus tryna get it on

https://i.imgur.com/j5Q4ukl.mp4

this... I... what? :psyduck:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My dad taught keyboarding back when they had electric typewriters. By the time I was in middle school, he had a lab of Windows 3.1 machines running whatever WordPerfect was current back then.

He got a job offer at another school. They were still using electric typewriters. Not even Selectrics, but freaking clack-clack mechanical typewriters.

He turned that job down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LJ1i7222c

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Scott Forstall posted:

What you don't use your forklift to pick up chicks?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'wanna fork?'

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wow, they got forked up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

A terrible attempt to get someone over their fear of heights?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

A great way to fork up your back.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

'wanna fork?'

Bad Munki posted:

Wow, they got forked up.

Zamujasa posted:

A great way to fork up your back.

All I know is that guy forks. :shrug:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I'm voicing my disapproval of this page

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/MRi47qC.mp4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Man, truck vs bridge videos used to make me nervous, but now I just get excited to see just how badly they gently caress up their truck. Like, the classic can opener is always good, and but just being absolutely destroyed like this one are always the best.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How can they ignore endless endless warnings.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

See also: half the stuff ever posted in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rh6qqsmxNs&t=15s

0:15-0:45

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hopped up on goofballs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

My guess is a weird adherence to a GPS not set for truck routes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wolrah posted:

See also: half the stuff ever posted in this thread

See also: all of recorded history up to (and especially) the current day

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

the navy has weird ideas about floating ground

it's most likely electrically induced galvanic corrosion, not the kind that you can fix by adding more anodes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SpacePig posted:

Also if you drive a number of different trucks then you might forget the height of your today's ride.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SpacePig posted:

That's what I've read, it's still awful.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

duz posted:

Hopped up on goofballs.

"The hell, weather man said it was sunny-"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nenonen posted:

Also if you drive a number of different trucks then you might forget the height of your today's ride.

Or if you usually drive a Honda Civic and you're accustomed to paying no attention whatsoever to height restrictions. A lot of the trucks that get can-opened are rentals.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's usually a fuckload of signs nearby. i know the 11'3 bridge or whatever its name is has like five

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

there's usually a fuckload of signs nearby. i know the 11'3 bridge or whatever its name is has like five

The low bridge by me Has signs with flashing LED lights around it and Day-Glo orange and white spinners and every six months a semi STILL tries to go down that road.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Blast of Confetti posted:

The 11'8" bridge has height indicators leading up to it, truck route signs to on-grade crossings, a traffic light that changes from green if it sees a truck that's too tall for the bridge, and a big LED sign that says "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN", and while it's definitely improved things, people will still crash into it. Mostly truckers trying to beat the yellow, or straight-up running the red.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

SpacePig posted:

The 11'8" bridge has height indicators leading up to it, truck route signs to on-grade crossings, a traffic light that changes from green if it sees a truck that's too tall for the bridge, and a big LED sign that says "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN", and while it's definitely improved things, people will still crash into it. Mostly truckers trying to beat the yellow, or straight-up running the red.

Low tech is the signs on wires that say "if you hit this sign you will hit that bridge"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That sign would have to be replaced at least monthly.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"Oh that sign's just hanging low because it's old and the cables stretched"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
In the 11'8" case, that sort of thing wouldn't work well because the intersection leading to the bridge itself is frequently used by trucks that need to turn away from it to access street businesses, and the constant clanking and clunking would probably get old for everyone around.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I may've posted this before, but truck drivers, a lot of the time, are incredibly stupid and probably shouldn't be operating the machine they're operating. When it comes to signage, you can put up as much as you want, but they'll still ignore it. This is a clip of a driver that worked at the same company I did. I met him in person numerous times, and he was the kind of guy that could do no wrong, and whatever you were trying to tell him was completely wrong, and he knew better because "I've been behind the wheel for 30 years".. blah blah. I work IT in the transportation industry, but thankfully, I'm not working for this company anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZKgOYGP0aY

We had multiple truck drivers working for the company that literally had no SSNs because, they claim, they were birthed on the front porch of their house in WVA or something. Nope, definitely not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't know why, but I love those stupid movies so much.

It's because they're stupid but they know how stupid they are and just run with it. I mean it's about tornadoes full of sharks. That's simultaneously stupid and awesome.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

We had multiple truck drivers working for the company that literally had no SSNs because, they claim, they were birthed on the front porch of their house in WVA or something. Nope, definitely not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

The lack of SSNs in rural wv is a totally real thing. I’ve had friends who went to wvu who would go door to door trying to get people to get on the register so they could receive social services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

French tourists get out of their car in a cheetah enclosure in a drive-through Safari park in the Netherlands.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-44086107/cheetahs-chase-family-at-safari-park

They're drat lucky that little child wasn't mauled.