Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All I can see is Trump's hairpiece photoshopped onto a pony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I remember reading that 2nd World War veterans being utterly shaken by the destruction and death that they witnessed in the Korean war. That is just a scary thought the more you think about it.

Yeah, reading about it now, the toll of it is pretty shocking considering how little we think of it in popular memory (compared to the two wars that sandwich it). And I hadn’t even got to the part about civilian casualties yet, that’s astounding

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tias posted:

I don't know, but considering many urban centres( including Pyongyang!) lost between 50 and 90% of their buildings, it would assume - without knowing - that larger dams would have eaten a bomb or nine.

Seoul was almost totally destroyed. There are very few buildings there that date from before 1950. Berlin looks like a well maintained UNESCO site in comparison.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seoul was almost totally destroyed. There are very few buildings there that date from before 1950. Berlin looks like a well maintained UNESCO site in comparison.

berlin's bullet holes own

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

They're finally getting around to removing and patching most of them. I was really bummed when I saw that the buildings around the Pergamon were getting "fixed." :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Libluini posted:

Bullshit stories are sadly very common. My favorite story is the one were French soldiers during the 7 Years War terrorize a German village, and get their comeuppance after they find a wine cellar. They just excitedly open all the barrels and drink and drink and drink

Later, their wine soaked corpses are found floating in the now flooded cellar.

Probably never happened, but this story was apparently known enough to be put into song by some weirdo I never ever heard off before and after. (I have to see if I can find his CD again, he also had some songs about witchery, I think.)

Was listening to Chapo today and Matt Crispin explained that US war against Iran would be a suicide because Millenium Challenge, and made it sound like the military declared shenanigans because they didn't like the results. If anyone has the rebuttal/explanation links handy, I'd appreciate those so I could post those angrily on twitter.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

JcDent posted:

Was listening to Chapo today and Matt Crispin explained that US war against Iran would be a suicide because Millenium Challenge, and made it sound like the military declared shenanigans because they didn't like the results. If anyone has the rebuttal/explanation links handy, I'd appreciate those so I could post those angrily on twitter.

Counterpoint One: motorcycle couriers dont travel at light speed and dont always reach their destination

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

JcDent posted:

Counter point 2: A Fleet of small fishing boats packing enough anti ship missiles to overcome CIWS are not magically invisible to radar and probably couldn't mount them either.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 26, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Something I'm curious about: How do these large scale real-life exercises work? Do you have blanks/dummy rounds you can use to indicate that you've successfully milan'd a red team tank, or something? Or do you just have one guy go "I reckon I shot that guy" and the ref sends him a call to say "Hey, you got shot, yer out"?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
And as far as the wine-cellar anecdote goes...knowing soldiers, it makes sense to assume that that scenario would show up in urban legends from multiple wars, whether as self-congratulatory ("our enemies drink and plunder, unlike Our Boys") or as rueful ("our boys sure do drink and plunder, don't they?")

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're finally getting around to removing and patching most of them. I was really bummed when I saw that the buildings around the Pergamon were getting "fixed." :(

There's a train car on display in Sevastopol that is more bullet holes than metal. All the buildings around it were renovated, but the car stands where it was left in 1942.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How did Jade Helm go anyways? Did all the conspiracy theories around it render it useless?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

spectralent posted:

Something I'm curious about : How do these large scale real-life exercises work? Do you have blanks/dummy rounds you can use to indicate that you've successfully milan'd a red team tank, or something? Or do you just have one guy go "I reckon I shot that guy" and the ref sends him a call to say "Hey, you got shot, yer out"?

I would assume https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integrated_laser_engagement_system

(Basically laser tag on steroids)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Huh, that's been around far longer than I expected.

How'd it go prior to laser-tag? I'm aware there were US exercises around the start of WW2 "proving" tank destroyer doctrine, for example.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

OwlFancier posted:

All I can see is Trump's hairpiece photoshopped onto a pony.

Oddly fond of skinheads, for he is such.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

Something I'm curious about : How do these large scale real-life exercises work? Do you have blanks/dummy rounds you can use to indicate that you've successfully milan'd a red team tank, or something? Or do you just have one guy go "I reckon I shot that guy" and the ref sends him a call to say "Hey, you got shot, yer out"?

It depends on the exercise. On the lower tactical level at places like NTC, it's basically adult laser tag. Tanks and dudes run around shooting each other with fake bullets, occasionally there's air support, and judges drive around telling people they're dead.*

For larger scale exercises, there's a bit more abstraction depending on what the force is trying to achieve. Before World War II, for instance, the US Navy ran annual Fleet Problem exercises that were instrumental in developing the carrier tactics that the US would ultimately use against Japan. In those exercises, the carriers would launch strikes, they'd try to find the 'enemy' fleet, and judges would determine the effects of the strike, and which ships would count as sunk.

The thing to remember, however, is that large scale exercises are about more than just sailing two flyers at each other, rolling some dice, and deciding who 'wins'-because you can do that much more easily and cheaply on a folding table at the Naval War College. The greater purpose of these kinds of exercise are to train units and commanders on large-scale operations and coordination, as well as evaluating your own force for deficiencies in your logistics and planning arms.

Let's say, for instance, you're planning a wargame to do a mock opposed naval landing. Amphibious operations are and have always been amongst the most complex military manuvers, since they require intense cooperation and are very easy to gently caress up.

Now in this hypothetical operation, let's suppose that you've got a series of airstrikes planned to knock out enemy shore defenses. Except, whoops-the commander playing the enemy was clever, hid a bunch of anti-ship missles in map areas that weren't detected and hit by the mock strikes, and the judges have ruled all your amphibious assault ships are now burning hulks just a couple miles offshore.

So what do you do? You note the result, refloat the ships, and continue the operation. Sure, you got a bad result, and that's part of the reason why you do these operations-to discover deficiencies in your operational planning and strategy. But if you adhere to those results and cancel the rest of the exercise, you're wasting not only time and money, but the opportunity to evaluate the rest of your forces, as well as valuable practice and training in large-scale operations. And hey, maybe something else will go horribly wrong-but it's better for something to go wrong in practice rather than during an actual combat operation.

*Edit: a fun example I posted from earlier in the thread:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So my friend is an Abrams gunner and apparently he had quite the exercise last night:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 26, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A horse with a shaved head would freak me right the gently caress out, thinking about it now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

I'm not really sure why that particular exercise has had such long legs. Shrug.

The first thing you have to understand with modern wargaming and experimentation is that the point is neither to "win", nor is it to validate the extraordinary martial awesomeness of American combined arms. The point is to get at specific training or capability development objectives. As a result, the military calls "shenanigans" in just about every exercise that happens, ever. Prior to the exercise, you establish certain training or experimentation objectives. If the exercise or experiment doesn't proceed in such a way that these objectives can be met, directors will stop things, reset everything or set it up differently, and then proceed with the exercise.

Example: you're doing an exercise in the Baltics. One of the objectives is testing NATO artillery vs Russian artillery. During the first run of the experiment, all the NATO artillery gets blown up by SS-26s and BM-30s while still in the staging area. This makes testing artillery impossible, so...let's take note of what happened, ensure that we record it as a serious capability gap, reset, redeploy, and get at that artillery learning objective. If this gets publically reported though, it often comes out as "shenanigans", like the army is trying to cheat in order to win, or something along those lines.

The millennium challenge thing was exactly this kind of deal... except the threat commander did a bunch of very unrealistic gamey things that kind of derailed the whole exercise. It has since become an iconic example of how NOT to be a threat commander: you want to be challenging and adaptive and creative, but you don't want to be unrealistic.

spectralent posted:

It depends on the size of the exercise or experiment. Actual maneuver training with guys on the ground happens at places like the CTCs. The biggest live training facility is the NTC, and it can fit two brigades fighting one another. They use MILES and other stuff to score "kinetic" kills, and it is actually really realistic considering the limitations of the gear and the terrain. Anyt training or experiment involving a headquarters larger than a brigade is done digitally, using a variety of incredibly sophisticated and non-user-friendly programs that are usually not very interoperable.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

A horse with a shaved head would freak me right the gently caress out, thinking about it now.
why did you do this

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

An Iranian invasion would definitely be a disaster to the US but not because of the millenium challenge.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 26th Nov 1917 posted:

VIERSTRAAT. The battalion was relieved in the line by the 4th. Bn. Middlesex Regiment at dusk. Relief complete by 6-40 p.m. and the Battalion withdrew into Support Area at Ridgewood Camp.
The Camp consists of NISSEN Huts, inside the Ridge Woods, but is in a very unfinished state. Water supply and Sanitary arrangements, Nil. Pioneers busy fixing stoves and making Camp furniture.

Nissen hut, for anyone who hasn't heard of them before. A famous example of one is The Italian Chapel in the Orkneys from WWII.

Ridge Wood is SW of Ypres, about 2/3 of the way to Kemmel, and about 5 miles due West of where the front line positions were. No matter how bad the facilities were it's got to be better than sitting in a shell hole outpost.

The battalion was in the front line for around 8 days, which seems to about be the typical duration.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Has there ever actually been a legitimate 'upset' in military exercises like Millennium Challenge supposedly was?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

why did you do this

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

I'm not really sure why that particular exercise has had such long legs. Shrug.

The first thing you have to understand with modern wargaming and experimentation is that the point is neither to "win", nor is it to validate the extraordinary martial awesomeness of American combined arms. The point is to get at specific training or capability development objectives. As a result, the military calls "shenanigans" in just about every exercise that happens, ever. Prior to the exercise, you establish certain training or experimentation objectives. If the exercise or experiment doesn't proceed in such a way that these objectives can be met, directors will stop things, reset everything or set it up differently, and then proceed with the exercise.

Example: you're doing an exercise in the Baltics. One of the objectives is testing NATO artillery vs Russian artillery. During the first run of the experiment, all the NATO artillery gets blown up by SS-26s and BM-30s while still in the staging area. This makes testing artillery impossible, so...let's take note of what happened, ensure that we record it as a serious capability gap, reset, redeploy, and get at that artillery learning objective. If this gets publically reported though, it often comes out as "shenanigans", like the army is trying to cheat in order to win, or something along those lines.

The millennium challenge thing was exactly this kind of deal... except the threat commander did a bunch of very unrealistic gamey things that kind of derailed the whole exercise. It has since become an iconic example of how NOT to be a threat commander: you want to be challenging and adaptive and creative, but you don't want to be unrealistic.

The red force commander also abused the modeling software for the engagement to basically glitch his fast boats to point blank range on the CVBG. I did a small post on it either here or in the Cold War thread a week or so ago with a few links if anyone feels like digging that up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Has there ever actually been a legitimate 'upset' in military exercises like Millennium Challenge supposedly was?

If by "upset" you mean, US/NATO/allies lose: I've participated/planned probably 50 exercises and experiments and I can think of maybe three where blue "won" without some sort of reset or other such intervention. If you think about it, the military is really incentivized to NOT win this sorts of things, as losing better illustrates capability gaps, which in turn feeds the furnace of needing "more stuff".

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

bewbies posted:

This part is true, and Van Riper's perspective definitely became the dominant one in the public sphere, but it's also fair to say that JFCOM and white cell didn't handle their bits well either. The core problem there is they stuffed a bunch of time-sensitive training portions and rehearsals into the exercise, and meeting those timetables made it basically impossible to also run it as an experiment. This created a big tension between red team and white cell from the start, because they had inherently incompatible expectations. White cell also ended up responding to that in a way that wasn't terribly productive. They never explicitly told red team that they were pivoting to a rehearsal phase and would review whatever red team spotted as weaknesses later. Instead they just kept telling red team to stop doing things while continuing to present it as an experimental exercise.

Basically the long term takeaway is that Millennium Challenge is a textbook example of how not to run a red teamed exercise all around, and that there's pretty limited operational information to be gleaned from it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

If by "upset" you mean, US/NATO/allies lose: I've participated/planned probably 50 exercises and experiments and I can think of maybe three where blue "won" without some sort of reset or other such intervention. If you think about it, the military is really incentivized to NOT win this sorts of things, as losing better illustrates capability gaps, which in turn feeds the furnace of needing "more stuff".

How many of the failures were due to over reliance on network connectivity? The modern Army relies so heavily on Internet access that I don't believe it could actually function without it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

How many of the failures were due to over reliance on network connectivity? The modern Army relies so heavily on Internet access that I don't believe it could actually function without it.

This can rapidly get classified so I'll be really broad, but, the main reasons blue tends to lose these things are 1) runs out of ammo, 2) electronic warfare, and 3) important fragile things get blown up. Network stuff is actually usually very reliable and difficult to interdict; it is a very mature technology that can be hardwired, so there are a lot of softer things to go after.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

what in the poo poo

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Genetic abnormality called Naked Foal Syndrome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nah it's what you get when you inject hairless cat genes into a horse.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

The best part about Pearl Harbor is a lot of the buildings still have bullet holes from the attack.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kopijeger posted:

Genetic abnormality called Naked Foal Syndrome.

Unfortunate.

quote:

Naked Foal Syndrome (NFS) is a recessive hereditary disorder, so far only known in the Akhal-Teke horse breed. Affected foals are born hairless, or with only very few remaining hairs. These foals suffer from diverse weaknesses, and usually die within weeks or months. Some rare cases have survived up to two and a half years of age due to intensive care.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

This can rapidly get classified so I'll be really broad, but, the main reasons blue tends to lose these things are 1) runs out of ammo, 2) electronic warfare, and 3) important fragile things get blown up. Network stuff is actually usually very reliable and difficult to interdict; it is a very mature technology that can be hardwired, so there are a lot of softer things to go after.

Interesting. I suppose if you are training something closer to day 1 of OIF 1 versus the day 163 of OIF 08 it will make a difference on how things are connected. As it sits right now, things are mature, but fighting ISIL, or AQI, or the Taliban isn't preparing us for something like fighting North Korea or Iran. Like, I'm thinking the guys who invaded Iraq in 03 didn't spend a lot of time worrying about whether a particular powerpoint slide had the correct font, or matched the rest of the slide show's template.

Thinking through it, we do run our wars the way we run our training exercises. I'm just not sure our training is preparing us for the fights to come.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

SimonCat posted:

Like, I'm thinking the guys who invaded Iraq in 03 didn't spend a lot of time worrying about whether a particular powerpoint slide had the correct font, or matched the rest of the slide show's template.

From what I read in Fiasco EVERYTHING involving the invasion was done on Powerpoint. The people at the top were obsessed with Powerpoint and basically required everything to be delivered and briefed in Powerpoint. This ranged everywhere from in-depth and detailed invasion plans to reconstruction being an 8-page Powerpoint presentation that was very broad and had no details. Obviously the military guys on the ground didn't give a gently caress about Powerpoint but what they did and how they were going to do it was explained to Rumsfeld and Brenner in Powerpoint.

As much as I'm really loving this book it is absolutely INFURIATING how ad-hoc so much of this was. I haven't read a lot of military histories but I'm assuming any book that makes you set it down and push it away in disgust is a good military history book.

SimonCat posted:

Thinking through it, we do run our wars the way we run our training exercises. I'm just not sure our training is preparing us for the fights to come.

As far as I'm aware this is very true and a big concern in the military. COIN operations do not mesh well with large scale conventional wars and vice versa. Its why so many mistakes were made in both Iraq and Afghanistan when it came to fighting an insurgency. The military was so ashamed of what happened in Vietnam and did not want to go back to it that they threw away all the knowledge about COIN they learned and had to learn it all over again.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 27, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How was (was?) the first Gulf War different? I was pretty young at the time so I don't remember much of it, but it seemed like we left relatively quickly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How was (was?) the first Gulf War different? I was pretty young at the time so I don't remember much of it, but it seemed like we left relatively quickly.

That was mostly because we were driving back an attacking force whilst never actually toppling any governments.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

limp_cheese posted:

As much as I'm really loving this book it is absolutely INFURIATING how ad-hoc so much of this was. I haven't read a lot of military histories but I'm assuming any book that makes you set it down and push it away in disgust is a good military history book.
it's all ad hoc. everything. everywhere. it's morons and fuckers all the way down. and it has been since the beginning of time.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 27, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Grand Prize Winner posted:

GW1 began and ended with protecting Saudi Arabia and ejecting Iraq from Kuwait. I think a lot of the higher-ups in the US wanted to push on to take Baghdad and remove Saddam, but there was effectively no support for that in the UN or especially our (non-Israeli) regional allies.

Since it was ultimately a UN operation and we were relying on those regional allies for a ton of support and logistics, we probably couldn't have gone it alone very effectively if we tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
That didn't deter the US from encouraging an uprising with the promise of support, then withholding it.

Just another gently caress up.