Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

I am hoping for new Kineticist and Shifter archetypes,, but someone on Steam suggested that we probably are getting archetypes for classes that didn't get them in the last DLC and I think both of them got an archetype last time.

Would have been nice if we could have gotten an Owlcat attempt at Swarm Shifter to take into Swarm that Walks.

Shifter got that crazy werebeast archetype but Kineticist hasn't gotten anything yet. The next ones to be revealed should be Arcanist, Kineticist, Magus, Ranger, and Rogue

And maybe Warpriest if they remember that it exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think they revealed 6 in the first article, so the next article should reveal 5 more as it was supposed to be 11 new archetypes. Hmm I thought there was a new Kineticist archetype last time, but I might have just been confused since I started some new kineticist playthroughs because of a mod adding new kineticist archetypes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Maybe only using one crusader army isn't ideal but whatever

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s fine one army can be anywhere in time for any problem.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've beaten the game on normal settings with only one army. You really don't need much more than that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
works for me then

just scorching ray blasting whole stacks of dickheads to dust

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ryuujin posted:

I think they revealed 6 in the first article, so the next article should reveal 5 more as it was supposed to be 11 new archetypes. Hmm I thought there was a new Kineticist archetype last time, but I might have just been confused since I started some new kineticist playthroughs because of a mod adding new kineticist archetypes.

It wasn’t a new archetype, they did a pass on the blood kineticist with new animations and things.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Alright, since the game is gonna be finished in a couple weeks, I figure it's about time for me to finally resume playing it, starting with the Through the Ashes/Lord of Nothing side campaign, but I have a question. According to what I've read, getting the bad ending to Lord of Nothing powers up the boss it unlocks in the main campaign, and also gives you better loot. But, nobody anywhere has actually documented what that improved loot is, compared to what you get from the weakened boss that comes from the good ending. So, what's the difference between the two versions?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Shifter got that crazy werebeast archetype but Kineticist hasn't gotten anything yet. The next ones to be revealed should be Arcanist, Kineticist, Magus, Ranger, and Rogue

And maybe Warpriest if they remember that it exists

Turns out Rogue was in the last batch and the list I looked at omitted Dark Lurker for some reason. So I guess it has to be the other five I mentioned

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, I guess since Owlcat won't make a 2e PF game, someone else will:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ossianstudios/pathfinder-the-dragons-demand

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ugh, a kickstarter. Wake me up in a decade when it hits 1.0.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

So, I guess since Owlcat won't make a 2e PF game, someone else will:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ossianstudios/pathfinder-the-dragons-demand

quote:

Ossian Studios Inc. is an independent video game developer based in Vancouver, Canada. Headed by Alan Miranda, a former BioWare producer on the Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights games, Ossian has been making RPGs exclusively for the past 20 years, creating immersive adventures that focus on story, role-playing, and exploration, with an emphasis on player choice and freedom. Building games with passion is what Ossian is all about!

their entire game portfolio seems to be building, expanding, and selling NWN1/2 modules.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
They did have a mobile RPG

https://www.ossianstudios.com/the-shadow-sun/

and this looks to have been in the works for a while (their post from 2021 indicates that they were working on something "big".. probably they're at a semi-playable engine state, and need big bucks to hire folks to actually build it out

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Ossian is legit. If you were part of the NWN community, especially on GameFAQs, you'll surely recognize the names. They were going to prove out that modders could make legit money creating games with the NWN1 toolkit - and then that program died. But they released their big campaign for free anyway. This was back when it seemed like NWN1's model was going to be the next big thing in CRPGs

I mean this was 20 years ago and I can't fathom how they've survived for this long or if the original members are still around, but it's remarkable.

I'll pass on the KS because there are too many risks involved in even the most established companies and genres, but I'll be rooting hard for them. This is somewhat on par with Larian finally getting the BG3 license so I hope for the same success

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/4170974735557630183

Second route of archetypes.
No way Arcanist Deceiver works properly ever but I am still fascinated.
Could you combo Chain Lightning with Phantasmal killer? Or Magic Missile with Grease?

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 22, 2024

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
drat Bladebound is actually in. Wasn't expecting they'd go to the trouble. This set of 11 archetypes seems crazier than the last batch in terms of scope

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

lol at Bladebound Magus just being Alucard with the Sword familar. I'd play it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh hey, that's the new INT archetype I wanted for my final Trickster playthrough.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm interested in Bladebound Magus and Kinetic Sharpshooter, anyone have info on those classes from the PnP? Also, lore question, Arcanists are supposed to be sorcerers who also do mage stuff, right? So they both have innate magic and can also learn from scrolls?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Arcanist are supposed to have an ability called Quick study that lets you spend a point to swap out a spell. So without mods they’ve got a sorcerers slots but a wizards ability to learn scrolls iirc.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Gologle posted:

I'm interested in Bladebound Magus and Kinetic Sharpshooter, anyone have info on those classes from the PnP? Also, lore question, Arcanists are supposed to be sorcerers who also do mage stuff, right? So they both have innate magic and can also learn from scrolls?

In the PnP Bladebound shares its arcane pool with the sword and the Blade has its own stats and gains its own abilities and generally you know has a will of its own sentient weapon type thing. It's a lot of RP stuff that's probably getting swapped with Alucard Sword Summon shenanigans instead

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

quote:

When creating a fused spell, the magic deceiver chooses between the corresponding properties of the initial spells. If the initial spells belong to different schools of magic, have different spell shapes, or require saves of different types to avoid their effects, the magic deceiver chooses which properties will apply to the fused spell.

This sounds nuts, like if you combine two spells you can pick the AoE and Save from one and the effect of another. So I could mix fireball and hold person, to get an AoE paralyze that is resisted by a reflex save instead of a will save?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bladebound Magus/Bloodseeker Slayer for maximum edge.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

They gave Playful Darkness a Swarmbane clasp lol oh noooo

Not sure if this was a recent patch or just how he is on core, but that was rough.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Gologle posted:

As said, the Bladebound presented here is nothing like the version in tabletop, and Kinetic Sharpshooter is wholly original and as such will be either completely useless or utterly busted. Arcane Deceiver is also homebrew and there are no words for how overpowered it will be, assuming it ever works as intended.

So, about the two that seem to be pretty straightforward ports:

Mantis Zealot: Do you like Cult Leader, but wish it were worse? It has slower Sneak Attack progression, and rather than losing bonus feats for it, you give up Sacred Weapon. You know, the main thing you're even playing Warpriest for? You also swap Sacred Armor (not a huge loss given that you can just wear decent armor to begin with) to get a minutes/day ability that grants the Uncanny Dodges and Evasions, though it gains those abilities all at considerably higher levels than other classes that get them (you don't get Improved Evasion until level 19). Also you're locked into light armor and lose shields entirely, but get free sawtooth sabre proficiency. And Aspect of War loses the "full speed in armor" benefit (which you don't need in light armor) and instead grants bleed damage. Overall, it's a pretty bad archetype compared to Cult Leader. You don't even get the extra skill points! Oh, and Achaekek's domains in tabletop are Law, Evil, Death, Trickery, and War, so make of those what you will.

Sable Company Marine: Good lord, they dug up an obscure one! All it does in tabletop is replace Hunter's Bond with the hippogriff, and add the Monstrous Mount Mastery feat to your chosen fighting style's list (which lets you skip the prereq of the Monstrous Mount feat, which would be redundant given the archetype). The Hippogriff's Mastery ability is just being able to fly with a rider, at half fly speed (their normal fly speed is 100, so it's still pretty drat fast with a rider, to be fair). Presumably, Owlcat's spicing thing one up, which will probably ruin it. Much of what worked about Sable Company Marine was that it didn't really interfere at all with whatever else you were doing with the class, it just gave you a special mount and the option to become able to ride it while flying. But, we'll see, Ranger definitely has some dud features, so they might just replace those.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A Sable Company Marine should be able to use Ulbrig as a mount imo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wow this Chrono lady in Drezzen is absurd

38 AC!!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Do you consider 38 AC particularly high, because as I recall a certain well armed jerk you fight early in the Drezen Citadel has like 40+ and the AC scores only really go up from there

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I mean it's the highest I've dealt with so far and I deffo wasn't prepared for it as she chumped my whole party

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Wow this Chrono lady in Drezzen is absurd

38 AC!!

She's actually harder than the demon she was summoning, and if you kill the demon instead of her you still get her loot + the demon's loot. Oh and the demon gives a lot more xp. It's a bizarre noob trap because every other game ever conditions you to think "I've got to stop this ritual".

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I didn't get a chance to stop the ritual. I walked in and she blasted all the cultist guys then disappeared the demon and charged me

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
A non optimal party composition (aka buffs not stacking or no hyperfocused build like a DC caster) can definitely have a hard time.
It becomes a bit easier if you ignore the room and progress the plot a bit to get the PLOT item.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

EclecticTastes posted:

As said, the Bladebound presented here is nothing like the version in tabletop, and Kinetic Sharpshooter is wholly original and as such will be either completely useless or utterly busted. Arcane Deceiver is also homebrew and there are no words for how overpowered it will be, assuming it ever works as intended.

So, about the two that seem to be pretty straightforward ports:

Mantis Zealot: Do you like Cult Leader, but wish it were worse? It has slower Sneak Attack progression, and rather than losing bonus feats for it, you give up Sacred Weapon. You know, the main thing you're even playing Warpriest for? You also swap Sacred Armor (not a huge loss given that you can just wear decent armor to begin with) to get a minutes/day ability that grants the Uncanny Dodges and Evasions, though it gains those abilities all at considerably higher levels than other classes that get them (you don't get Improved Evasion until level 19). Also you're locked into light armor and lose shields entirely, but get free sawtooth sabre proficiency. And Aspect of War loses the "full speed in armor" benefit (which you don't need in light armor) and instead grants bleed damage. Overall, it's a pretty bad archetype compared to Cult Leader. You don't even get the extra skill points! Oh, and Achaekek's domains in tabletop are Law, Evil, Death, Trickery, and War, so make of those what you will.

Sable Company Marine: Good lord, they dug up an obscure one! All it does in tabletop is replace Hunter's Bond with the hippogriff, and add the Monstrous Mount Mastery feat to your chosen fighting style's list (which lets you skip the prereq of the Monstrous Mount feat, which would be redundant given the archetype). The Hippogriff's Mastery ability is just being able to fly with a rider, at half fly speed (their normal fly speed is 100, so it's still pretty drat fast with a rider, to be fair). Presumably, Owlcat's spicing thing one up, which will probably ruin it. Much of what worked about Sable Company Marine was that it didn't really interfere at all with whatever else you were doing with the class, it just gave you a special mount and the option to become able to ride it while flying. But, we'll see, Ranger definitely has some dud features, so they might just replace those.

Dang I hope they make it better than that. I saw the stuff about a mantis swarm and I was hoping it would be a good option to go into Swarm that Walks. All you have said about the Mantis Zealot sounds so sad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Oh, more archetypes? So is every existing class/archetype working as intended and written?

lol why even bother at that point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fixing problems doesn't sell DLC.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Which archetypes are still broken? Like actually broken not just bad.

Edit: Gonna make Ulbrig a Sable Company Marine so he's not so lonely

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2024

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
haha what the gently caress, Arcanist Deceiver's thing sounds like it could be the premise of an entire game, let alone a DLC archetype of a single class

I have zero confidence they'll pull it off 100% but man I want them to knock the ball out of the park

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 23, 2024

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

haha what the gently caress, Arcanist Deceiver's thing sounds like it could be the premise of an entire game, let alone a DLC archetype of a single class

I have zero confidence they'll pull it off 100% but man I want them to knock the ball out of the park

It's 99% something they will try to do for one of their games. I;'d like a spell fuse/crafting game that is also actually more interesting to play than Tyranny.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Well, that happened
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/eventcomments/4328600722521670425?snr=2_9_100000_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That’s awesome. Owlcat rule.