Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FreshFeesh posted:

A buddy and I love playing through games together, and now that we've run through Baldur's Gate 3 for the millionth time, we're looking for something new. We tend to enjoy open-world shooters (Ghost Recon, Far Cry) or RPGs where we can make big explosions (Path of Exile). Co-op RTS games are also on the table. Any suggestions for games that are out now we might like?

Some games we've enjoyed before:
- Tom Clancy Ghost Recon series
- Borderlands series
- Far Cry series
- It Takes Two
- Path of Exile
- Dying Light series
- Saints Row series
- Warframe
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Sniper Elite series
- The Division 2
- Payday 2

Earth Defense Force 5
Deep Rock Galactic
Helldivers 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

FreshFeesh posted:

A buddy and I love playing through games together, and now that we've run through Baldur's Gate 3 for the millionth time, we're looking for something new. We tend to enjoy open-world shooters (Ghost Recon, Far Cry) or RPGs where we can make big explosions (Path of Exile). Co-op RTS games are also on the table. Any suggestions for games that are out now we might like?

- Borderlands series
- Far Cry series
- It Takes Two
- Path of Exile
- Dying Light series
- Saints Row series
- Warframe
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Sniper Elite series
- The Division 2
- Payday 2

Some FPS suggestions with co-op campaign. Not open world, but have very large levels.
- Remnant 1 & 2: Easiest recommend for anyone who likes co-op FPS games. It's very good and probably the most notable game missing from your list IMO.
- EYE: Divine Cybermancy: Very weird bootleg warhammer FPS RPG thing. If you can get past the initial jank, it's great, but I would also understand if you could not.
With mods you could try Stalker (very buggy), Deus Ex (not buggy, runs great

Some co-op FPS suggestions which are more roguelike/run-based:
- Timemelters: Co-op FPS time loop puzzler
- Risk of Rain 2: Roguelike
- Returnal: FPS roguelike- sort of a bullet hell vibe, but in 3d
- Crab Champions: FPS/TPS where you are a crab. You basically fight through repeated arenas of enemies with fun powers. It has surprisingly good movement/mechanics for a game which at first appears to be a meme.
- Vermintide 1/2: Warhammer left for dead
- Serious Sam

Some non-shooter co-op campaign RPG suggestions which might click for you if BG3 did, and which allow for explosion opportunities:
- Divinity Original Sin 2
- Wasteland 3

This may not be a good recommendation, but co-op Morrowind with OpenMW and Tamriel Expanded is solid.

Someday DUSK will be a good recommend, but its long-promised coop mode is not out yet. I was not personally a fan of Shadow Warriors 2, but it does have co-op campaign.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I unexpectedly fell in love with the pale beyond. What other games are worth checking out in this vein?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That looks pretty different from most anything I've seen, but I guess there's a couple things that try for similar vibes. Maybe Yes, Your Grace, This War of Mine, War Hospital, or Frostpunk?

FreshFeesh posted:

A buddy and I love playing through games together, and now that we've run through Baldur's Gate 3 for the millionth time, we're looking for something new.

• Magicka
  • Sniper Ghost Warrior
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Payday 3

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Yes, Your Grace is great. I guess I could go for a different ending in that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

chainchompz posted:

I unexpectedly fell in love with the pale beyond. What other games are worth checking out in this vein?

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante. More story based then you may be looking for, though.

Also going to have to take a look at your one as it seems fun.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Rogue Trader is a Warhammer 40k crpg you can play multiplayer, but I don't know that it's fast paced enough for you if Path of Exile is your go-to "RPG". I'll mention it anyway because you played through BG3 together.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

quote:

Immortality is absolutely amazing, you should try it.

It's incredible, they practically made three movies with outtakes and behind the scenes shots and interviews and a lot more, the main actress is amazing, highly, highly, recommend.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

chainchompz posted:

Have you played the Sunless games? Seas and Skies?

A House of Many Doors

Vagrus - The Riven Realms

Firebird

80 Days (although that's a bit oblique)

This war of mine

Cart Life

King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 16, 2024

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

FreshFeesh posted:

- Borderlands series
- Far Cry series
- It Takes Two
- Path of Exile
- Dying Light series
- Saints Row series
- Warframe
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Sniper Elite series
- The Division 2
- Payday 2

Freakin men of war, dude. It's a sandboxy type of rts that lets you direct control units and approach things in very open ways. It's very janky and its voice acting is amazingly bad (this is good). The first men of war is my favorite, but there are various other games in the series of varying levels of quality, like men of war assault squad 1 and 2 which are more refined but less silly. There's also call to arms which is a more recent game by the same people, but set in modern times instead of ww2, and gates to hell which is based on that game but set in ww2 again. Not as unhinged as men of war, but definitely worth looking at

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

FreshFeesh posted:

- Borderlands series
- Far Cry series
- It Takes Two
- Path of Exile
- Dying Light series
- Saints Row series
- Warframe
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Sniper Elite series
- The Division 2
- Payday 2

Helldivers 2 is the current big co-op sensation, and it's super-fun and has all the giant explosions you could ever want.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Rynoto posted:

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante. More story based then you may be looking for, though.

Also going to have to take a look at your one as it seems fun.

Ooh that one looks good.

fez_machine posted:

Have you played the Sunless games? Seas and Skies?

A House of Many Doors

Vagrus - The Riven Realms

Firebird

80 Days (although that's a bit oblique)

This war of mine

Cart Life

King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages

Ooh good list to go through! I haven't played the Sunless games yet.
I think I picked up King of Dragon Pass or Six Ages on sale but haven't touched them yet.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FreshFeesh posted:

- Borderlands series
- Far Cry series
- It Takes Two
- Path of Exile
- Dying Light series
- Saints Row series
- Warframe
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Sniper Elite series
- The Division 2
- Payday 2

Remnant: from the ashes and Remnant 2.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

You should both get the f-14 for DCS and learn how to pilot and rio together. Reenact your favorite scenes from Top Gun!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does DCS have shirtless volleyball

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

chainchompz posted:

Ooh that one looks good.

Ooh good list to go through! I haven't played the Sunless games yet.
I think I picked up King of Dragon Pass or Six Ages on sale but haven't touched them yet.

Oh man you have a good time ahead of you. King of Dragon Pass is rightfully a classic of the genre.

I second all those on that list and would also suggest some of the CYOA games on Steam from Choice of Games. I really liked the “of Infinity” series, Sabres, Guns, and Lords of Infinity that follow the adventures of a fantasy not-UK dragoon cavalry officer. Or Night Road and Parliament of Knives if you like Vampire the Masquerade.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Hwurmp posted:

Sadly no

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

No worries, steam also has an accurate simulation for men’s shirtless volleyball: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1805000/Retired_Mens_Nude_Beach_Volleyball_League/

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Retired Men's Nude Beach Volleyball League made me double check which thread I was in.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Checking if anyone has some recommendations for FPS (or perhaps TPS/twin-stick) with very deadly, realistic and tense survivalist combat. Was reminiscing playing Fallout 4 on survival difficulty and making my way through the Corvega Assembly Plant and enjoying the knife-edge tension of blasting raiders with my sawed-off shotgun and knowing that any lapse of concentration would lead to me dying from one or two bullets from them. So, I'd like to be able to recreate this, either in a similar open-world environment (Metro Exodus, Into The Radius, STALKER, Hunt Showdown) or in a more condensed form (Rainbow Six Siege, SYNTHETIK, Operation Flashpoint)

I know I mentioned some PvP games back there, but I'm largely looking for singleplayer PvE experiences. Still, if you feel like it'd be a good fit, feel free. I'm also implying gunplay, but I suppose melee and other factors are fine if it recreates the vibe: for example, Kingdom Come Deliverance could work (though obviously, all of the games I've named so far have already been played).

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 17, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FutureCop posted:

Checking if anyone has some recommendations for FPS (or perhaps TPS/twin-stick) with very deadly, realistic and tense survivalist combat. Was reminiscing playing Fallout 4 on survival difficulty and making my way through the Corvega Assembly Plant and enjoying the knife-edge tension of blasting raiders with my sawed-off shotgun and knowing that any lapse of concentration would lead to me dying from one or two bullets from them. So, I'd like to be able to recreate this, either in a similar open-world environment (Metro Exodus, Into The Radius, STALKER, Hunt Showdown) or in a more condensed form (Rainbow Six Siege, SYNTHETIK, Operation Flashpoint)

I know I mentioned some PvP games back there, but I'm largely looking for singleplayer PvE experiences. Still, if you feel like it'd be a good fit, feel free. I'm also implying gunplay, but I suppose melee and other factors are fine if it recreates the vibe: for example, Kingdom Come Deliverance could work (though obviously, all of the games I've named so far have already been played).

Check out the massive self installing mod pack GAMMA for Stalker. It stitches together the maps from all the mainline game, and takes a lot of influence from games like Escape from Tarkov.

Speaking of that, there is a great single player mod for EfT as well that populates the game with AI controlled "other players".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yesh i only played the EfT single player "mod" a bit but it was basically an offline version of the game - you would through all the normal game mechanics, runs gear loot fight extract etc, but it was just off-line versions of the map.

I know modders obfuscate a LOT of labor they put into their mods, but how well it worked made the recent demand that people pay a hundred and fifty bucks or whatever for single player Tarkov even more grating.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Fair. Definitely try the GAMMA modpack though, it's great. It adds more complex healing mechanics, a shitload of guns, all of which need to be maintained part by part (like disassembling the weapon to replace a worn barrel type poo poo), extreme lethality for you and enemies, basic needs, etc

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I really want to play a good single player vehicular combat game. It's been ages since I played a good one.

Can someone recommend a game in that genre? I've played a bunch of them, I guess:

Interstate 76 is probably the best
Interstate 82
Road Rash 1, 2, 3, Jailbreak, the one for PC, the 3D one, etc. They're all pretty good except for Jailbreak.
Road Redemption kinda sucks
Twisted Metals
That Twisted Metal-like that had a school bus in the ads, I forget what it was called
Carmageddon 1, 2 were great, 3 was not good, the latest one was fun for a second but got really bad really quickly for reasons I can't remember
Megarace if you want to go back that far ha

There was one in the early 2000s I remember playing, some post-apocalyptic game where you had a Scottish sounding buddy who constantly called you "Boyo"

credburn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 19, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

I really want to play a good single player vehicular combat game. It's been ages since I played a good one.

Can someone recommend a game in that genre? I've played a bunch of them, I guess:

Interstate 76 is probably the best
Interstate 82
Road Rash 1, 2, 3, Jailbreak, the one for PC, the 3D one, etc. They're all pretty good except for Jailbreak.
Road Redemption kinda sucks
Twisted Metals
That Twisted Metal-like that had a school bus in the ads, I forget what it was called
Carmageddon 1, 2 were great, 3 was not good, the latest one was fun for a second but got really bad really quickly for reasons I can't remember
Megarace if you want to go back that far ha

There was one in the early 2000s I remember playing, some post-apocalyptic game where you had a Scottish sounding buddy who constantly called you "Boyo"

Sand Land, maybe
Mad Max?
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Waves of Steel if boats are ok
Zombie Driver, maybe, but I didn't like that one as much as EXOR's other games
hopefully Fumes will be good whenever that comes out

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Mad Max is fun and with some pretty decent car customisation. Of all the upgrades, the harpoon was my star of the show: tearing out a door before landing another shot to harpoon the driver out of the car never got old. Or blowing up their tyres to leave them stranded and walking out of their cars for you to go carmageddon on them. The game isn't all vehicle though, so you'll have to deal with the on-foot combat too. There's some occasional funky synergy between the two at times. Once I simply couldn't beat a race because the track had a turn too close to a sniper in a nearby tower and the bastard kept blowing my tyres, sending me spinning like mad for the final quarter of the race, wasting my lead. After one too many attemps, I just drove down there, then went to explain myself with him face to face. After that, the race was a lot easier.

It goes for under a fiver during sales, so not a huge investment in case it doesn't quite work for you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Sand Land, maybe
Mad Max?
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Waves of Steel if boats are ok
Zombie Driver, maybe, but I didn't like that one as much as EXOR's other games
hopefully Fumes will be good whenever that comes out

Waves of Steel is goonmade, too!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm going to throw in some weird options.
RTS-ish FTL-alikes: Fighting the environment
  • Pacific Drive
  • Snowrunner
  • Expeditions

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This is an oddball one, but is there anything modern that's similar to the old Ultimate Domain/Genesia title (besides the remake that appears to be rather half-baked)? The very specific mix of settler management and building interaction is something I've never encountered in another game.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I have never played Myst, and want to know the best way to play Myst and Riven, because there's a dozen different versions now, some of which Cyan seems proud of and some of which seem to be an afterthought. My wife and I have enjoyed doing some lighter puzzlers like The Room series and the very campy House of Da Vinci, and want to play something that actually has some more challenge in it but stays with the same walking around / poking at things gameplay.

Which Myst should we play? How should we play it? Which Riven puzzles should I look up a solution to? I'm pretty sure we can handle original Myst with no spoilers, but Riven definitely has a reputation. There's original Myst and Masterpiece Edition, there's RealMyst, which everyone seems to have soured on now, there's Myst 2021 which I have heard little about, maybe because it was marketed primarily as as VR game. There's also the Riven remake coming out this year: https://cyan.com/2024/03/19/a-classic-reimagined-riven-set-for-2024-release-for-flatscreen-and-vr-platforms/.

Are there any other Myst-likes that are worth looking at? It's been a while since I played The Witness and my wife has never seen it, so if we bounce of Myst or finish it before Riven comes out we might do that.

Kicker: If there are good iOS versions of these the most preferred platform would be an iPad, but that's not a hard requirement. Myst 2021 / Riven 2024 are both on iOS.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 21, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

RealMyst is my favourite. I prefer the 3d wandering over the 2d slideshow. I haven't tried the newest RealestMyst or whatever, but FMV people aren't the default so it sucks :colbert:

I need to get back to Riven. My old computer died and I just never went back to it on my new computer.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Judging by the comparison video for Myst here, the best modern way to experience it seems to be the 2014 (second-most recent) version. It seems to retain the most of the original's sound and at design while updating the graphics, unlike the 2020's version which somehow manages to gently caress up a lot of the atmosphere and vibrant design.

There's an argument to be made for and against the slideshows, compared to the freewalk versions, but realistically, freewalk is just the way to go in modern times.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Are there any other Myst-likes that are worth looking at? It's been a while since I played The Witness and my wife has never seen it, so if we bounce of Myst or finish it before Riven comes out we might do that.

Kicker: If there are good iOS versions of these the most preferred platform would be an iPad, but that's not a hard requirement. Myst 2021 / Riven 2024 are both on iOS.

I like Myst III: Exile and IV: Revelations as well and think they hold up pretty well

Good Myst-likes

Quern - Undying Thoughts

I think The Black Cube Series although rough around the edges are decent: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/617/The_Black_Cube_series/

Sensorium is more a Witness-like but it's fun

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Looking for games (PS5 / PC) that have solid combat, and the ability to save [relatively] any time. I've got kids and have had a few sessions blown away where I couldnt get a save, got into rest mode, and the kids fired something up leaving me with a bunch of time lost.

Dont care about multiple saves, so even an autosave on exit is fine.

That or relatively short/contained levels so it's not a big deal if I lose a bit.

God of War Ragnarok has been excellent in this regard; if there was a way to just search my games library for this feature I would.
DMC5 has also been reasonable so far at not losing much for having to stop abruptly (though I havent played as much here and suppose this could change)

Any suggestions to look at in a similar vein?

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walked posted:

Looking for games (PS5 / PC) that have solid combat, and the ability to save [relatively] any time. I've got kids and have had a few sessions blown away where I couldnt get a save, got into rest mode, and the kids fired something up leaving me with a bunch of time lost.

That or relatively short/contained levels so it's not a big deal if I lose a bit.

God of War Ragnarok has been excellent in this regard; if there was a way to just search my games library for this feature I would.

Hi-Fi Rush isn't save-anywhere but should have checkpoints after every fight

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Hi-Fi Rush isn't save-anywhere but should have checkpoints after every fight

This is one I've bounced off twice. The gameplay loop and save frequency seemed entirely fine; but I have a background in rhythm and fighting games so I figured it'd be perfect, but I cannot get a feel for combat no matter what I do.

I'm sure it's a me thing since it's beloved by so many, but it just doesn't connect.

Good recommendation though and I'll give it another whirl in the near future (again)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Walked posted:

DMC5 has also been reasonable so far at not losing much for having to stop abruptly (though I havent played as much here and suppose this could change)

Ghost of Tsushima autosaves very often and can be manually saved nearly any time. Combat is loads of fun too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walked posted:

I have a background in rhythm and fighting games so I figured it'd be perfect, but I cannot get a feel for combat no matter what I do.

ngl I was real bad about getting Jam Combos and Aerial Raves, but just hitting on rhythm, dodging on the dodge noise, and using the right assists for shields & armor was enough for me to get through fine on Normal

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Walked posted:

This is one I've bounced off twice. The gameplay loop and save frequency seemed entirely fine; but I have a background in rhythm and fighting games so I figured it'd be perfect, but I cannot get a feel for combat no matter what I do.

I'm sure it's a me thing since it's beloved by so many, but it just doesn't connect.

Good recommendation though and I'll give it another whirl in the near future (again)

I also have a background in CAGs and rhythm games and the combat in Hi-Fi Rush is only decent.
Personally I wouldn't rate it's gameplay particularly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Walked posted:

I've been thinking about the exact same issue recently for the same reason. Would also love some recommendations.

Stuff I found in my library:
Quakes and Dooms
Elden Ring, Souls games remember your position with a save and exit
Hades (really good, because you go back to the start of the current room. So you lose max 2 minutes of progress and it doesn't drop you into the middle of a confusing fight)

Mourning my MonHuns and Deep Rock Galactic. Gonna be a bit before I can go back to those