Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm looking for an app that lets me right click on a JPG (or batch of JPGs) and resize them. I have something on my desktop but don't remember what I installed and won't be home until the end of the week to check. Mainly, I use it to resize photos from my camera into something more email friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uthor posted:

I'm looking for an app that lets me right click on a JPG (or batch of JPGs) and resize them. I have something on my desktop but don't remember what I installed and won't be home until the end of the week to check. Mainly, I use it to resize photos from my camera into something more email friendly.

image viewer programs like xnview & ifranview have batch processing modes, so not exactly right click on a file in explorer but good if you want to do a bunch at once

for an actual right click on files -> resize you could set up something with ImageMagick, which is the best command-line image tool

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hmm, I think what I have on my desktop is a Microsoft "PowerToy" that I've been dragging along since Windows XP. Or a fan remake of it I found somewhere.

https://microsoft-powertoys-image-resizer.en.softonic.com/

(I do NOT vouch for this website or any downloads from it, but it illustrates that app that I have.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Directory Opus can batch resize images easily, in an "explorer" like manner

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I'm trying to play a youtube video in VLC (Open Network Steam) in order to use its magical direct linking capabilities (Tools>Media Information>Location).

It plays some youtube videos no problem but not others and I don't know why.

Can anyone provide any insight into this issue or recommend an alternative solution for my youtube video grabbing needs (preferably not a website or app that re-encodes the video)?

edit: VLC and my various drivers are up to date afaik, Windows 10

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 31, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you want to grab stuff from YouTube, you want youtube-dl.

Don't know the why of your issue.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use VLC in conjunction with gpodder to bypass using the youtube website altogether. VLC works about 80% of the time, and youtube-dl->VLC works the rest of the time. Dunno why.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Immortal Wombat posted:

edit: VLC and my various drivers are up to date afaik, Windows 10

VLC development is not exactly on fire these days, while youtube is a constant moving target. You might have better luck with VLC nightlies if whoever maintains the youtube script is submitting patches when youtube changes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to bugtest it, run youtube-dl with -F against a videos that do work and ones that doesn't and see if you can find a common codec that vlc is choking on.

The direct download links that youtube scrapers dig up are sometimes the original file, and it's possible the uploader was using some wacky formats.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

Klyith posted:

VLC development is not exactly on fire these days, while youtube is a constant moving target. You might have better luck with VLC nightlies if whoever maintains the youtube script is submitting patches when youtube changes.

This worked :) thank you.

Although now VLC plays video sort of undocked from the interface and just floating there in the top left of the screen, unable to be manipulated, which I'm guessing is the sort of weird jank poo poo you have to expect from nightlies. I can't get it to re-unite itself with the main window. Not a huge issue but it makes my rear end burgers itch. Hope they fix it soon

quote:

youtube-dl

Couldn't get this to download the previously undownloadable videos like nightly vlc could

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 31, 2019

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Office question, might need VBA, but didn't see a better thread to put it.

I've got a PowerPoint with 200 slides of content. Each slide is a key word with a definition. We cover the 200 words over the whole course. What I'd like to do is add a 'jump to random slide' button which takes you to one of them. However, I want it only to jump to slides that we have covered. I don't want to be deleting slides and re-adding them when we cover them so my idea was to hide the slides we haven't done.

Googling found me things like
code:
ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.GotoSlide Int(Rnd * ActivePresentation.Slides.Count) + 2
But that doesn't take into account hidden slides. Any ideas?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

Office question, might need VBA, but didn't see a better thread to put it.

I've got a PowerPoint with 200 slides of content. Each slide is a key word with a definition. We cover the 200 words over the whole course. What I'd like to do is add a 'jump to random slide' button which takes you to one of them. However, I want it only to jump to slides that we have covered. I don't want to be deleting slides and re-adding them when we cover them so my idea was to hide the slides we haven't done.

Googling found me things like
code:
ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.GotoSlide Int(Rnd * ActivePresentation.Slides.Count) + 2
But that doesn't take into account hidden slides. Any ideas?

Just check whether the slide is hidden and pick another one if it is using:
.SlideShowTransition.Hidden = msoFalse

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hello all! I have a Dell desktop running Windows 10 and would like to replace the traditional hard drive with a SSD that I have. What's the best method to do so? Is there a way to clone the drive and restore it to the SSD and it'll just work? Or are there nuances or wierdness that I need to consider?

I ask mainly because I'm unsure of how Windows tracks activations, configurations, etc. these days and if this is prone to problems so I should just do a wipe and re-install from scratch on the SSD.

Thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TraderStav posted:

Hello all! I have a Dell desktop running Windows 10 and would like to replace the traditional hard drive with a SSD that I have. What's the best method to do so? Is there a way to clone the drive and restore it to the SSD and it'll just work? Or are there nuances or wierdness that I need to consider?

I ask mainly because I'm unsure of how Windows tracks activations, configurations, etc. these days and if this is prone to problems so I should just do a wipe and re-install from scratch on the SSD.

Thanks!

Macrium Reflect free, plug SSD in alongside original HD, clone HD to SSD. after verifying all is well, wipe HD and reuse.

Win10 pretty much ignores the HD for hardware activations these days so that will be no problem

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Klyith posted:

Macrium Reflect free, plug SSD in alongside original HD, clone HD to SSD. after verifying all is well, wipe HD and reuse.

Win10 pretty much ignores the HD for hardware activations these days so that will be no problem

Awesome, thank you! Will give it a go.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Am writing this post on a windows 7 laptop.
Please give me your most doomsday-y predictions for what will happen to it tomorrow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

uguu posted:

Please give me your most doomsday-y predictions for what will happen to it tomorrow.

Hax. At some point.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

uguu posted:

You're using an outdated OS that's going to be increasingly vulnerable to attacks. One possible example: An exploit in a library processing compressed images, leaving you vulnerable to attacks from simply visiting a website.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

uguu posted:

Nothing, but check one of those neverten weirdo forums a couple times a week.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Klyith posted:

This worked brilliantly, only one issue on the post-transfer. I would like to make that original HDD into storage in the same computer, but no matter however I try to boot it keeps defaulting to the HDD instead of the SSD as the boot device. I'd like to have the SSD boot and then format the HDD.

I also tried to pop the HDD into an enclosure and mount it on the same, and another Windows PC, and it showed up as a 163TB drive that couldn't mount and couldn't be formatted.

Not sure the next step to fix this, but it really isn't the highest of my priorities so if it's convoluted I'll just throw it in the spare drawer with some of my old 80GB HDDs I can't be assed to dispose of.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TraderStav posted:

This worked brilliantly, only one issue on the post-transfer. I would like to make that original HDD into storage in the same computer, but no matter however I try to boot it keeps defaulting to the HDD instead of the SSD as the boot device. I'd like to have the SSD boot and then format the HDD.
Go into the BIOS (the thing that says "press <key> to enter setup" or something like that when it first boots up) and change boot order of your drives. Exact instructions for this depend on your mobo / PC.

That will make you boot from the new SSD and allow the old drive to be wiped. (System partitions are locked in the windows drive management tool even if you aren't booting from that device, but you can use these instructions to remove those.)

quote:

I also tried to pop the HDD into an enclosure and mount it on the same, and another Windows PC, and it showed up as a 163TB drive that couldn't mount and couldn't be formatted.

Uh, probably not a great enclosure then?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Enclosures do all sorts of fun stuff.

I had one that translated sector sizes automatically for uh some reason, which completely broke the partition tables if you moved drives in or out of it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

is there a decent m2 nvme enclosure that isn't a billion bux? While we're on the subject?

I would like to stop using a second laptop as one , when the need arises

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

uguu posted:

Nothing yet, but you should start bookmarking MSFN now so you can stay on top of any potential major issues. That place tends to be the best resource for out-of-service Windows OSes.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Has Microsoft started inserting a timestamp into ISO's downloaded through the Media Creation Tool?

I normally download Windows 10 this way, then checksum it and do a websearch for the checksum to see if it's a known hash that's been posted on mydidigtallife forums and so forth.

I noticed today that there's no such match online, so I downloaded a second copy on a different PC about an hour later and the two hashes are different.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

There is zero reason not to upgrade to Windows 10, right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uguu posted:

the Microsoft store sucks that much? I click the start button and I see loving ads.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i just did a "get-appxpackage | remove-appxpackage" and still have loving ads

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Right click them and remove them, then set group policy to remove consumer experiences (among other things).

Opt out of hints/tips/suggestions/etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

And then do it again after the next feature update heheh

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Last Chance posted:

I've never had any of that stuff appear or reappear with properly configured settings/policy. :shrug:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

uguu posted:

Being overall accepting of being at higher risk, and not really knowing how much higher, is one.

Think of it as driving a car with really worn brake pads and tires that are pretty bald, but not super super bald yet, but you're gonna be gritting your teeth in traffic anyway, IMO.

I've been really reluctant to upgrade, and I did, and I'm overall glad I did, but I'm running into a lot of things I'm annoyed with.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

i just did a "get-appxpackage | remove-appxpackage" and still have loving ads

Install StartIsBack. That makes the start menu just as responsive as it was on 7, and as a side effect also kills the ads.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

astral posted:

I've never had any of that stuff appear or reappear with properly configured settings/policy. :shrug:

That used to happen with the first versions of Windows 10, all apps used to get reinstalled - even removed ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Klyith posted:

Go into the BIOS (the thing that says "press <key> to enter setup" or something like that when it first boots up) and change boot order of your drives. Exact instructions for this depend on your mobo / PC.

That will make you boot from the new SSD and allow the old drive to be wiped. (System partitions are locked in the windows drive management tool even if you aren't booting from that device, but you can use these instructions to remove those.)

Uh, probably not a great enclosure then?

Thanks, I'll give that a go at some point in the future, appreciate you closing this out with me.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Been having an intermittent problem since Windows 10 last updated a couple of days ago:

My monitor connected to DisplayPort will randomly stop receiving a signal and goes completely blank (the one connected to HDMI works fine). It completely stops working for hours, even between reboots, then it suddenly works again for no reason.

I've tried re-installing the nvidia drivers but no luck (I have a 1060).

Any ideas?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MZ posted:

Been having an intermittent problem since Windows 10 last updated a couple of days ago:

My monitor connected to DisplayPort will randomly stop receiving a signal and goes completely blank (the one connected to HDMI works fine). It completely stops working for hours, even between reboots, then it suddenly works again for no reason.

I've tried re-installing the nvidia drivers but no luck (I have a 1060).

Any ideas?

How does the monitor behave when connected to another device? How does it behave when connected using a different DisplayPort cable? How do other monitors behave when connected to your PC via DisplayPort?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Toast Museum posted:

How does the monitor behave when connected to another device? How does it behave when connected using a different DisplayPort cable? How do other monitors behave when connected to your PC via DisplayPort?

Other devices seem fine. I don't have another cable to try at the moment.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Statutory Ape posted:

is there a decent m2 nvme enclosure that isn't a billion bux? While we're on the subject?

I would like to stop using a second laptop as one , when the need arises

Orico makes one and their standard ssd enclosures were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Last Chance posted:

Do this with a script and make it a scheduled job.